I dont get it. Spent hundreds of hours in X3, but X4 is over after 20?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CaptainSim

Re: I dont get it. Spent hundreds of hours in X3, but X4 is over after 20?

Post by CaptainSim » Tue, 5. Mar 19, 23:31

CaptainX4 wrote:
Tue, 5. Mar 19, 23:24
CaptainSim wrote:
Tue, 5. Mar 19, 23:17
CaptainX4 wrote:
Tue, 5. Mar 19, 23:12

and you think those are the things people have to do to finish the game? to find all the 28 depots and do the same crap 28 times for 28 useless reward? these are not the reason to play, these are just little things during the journey and X games were never about ruling the universe. its to become the most powerful, to reach the top, and thats pretty doable in 20 hours. form that taking down a xenon sector is just: go! kill!, well, would be if it worked but its not even working. I can capture tons of huge ships turn them on any faction and deal with them in no time, but total destruction is just repetitive and not the aim for everybody, i for one liked to live in peace with all factions, build up my empire fight only the xenon and khaak and in earlier games this took months, now in 20 hours you can easily get to the level where you would be able to beat the crap out of anybody and you dont even need to exploit the game for it, just play normally...

There is no particular right way to play the game. He was just giving you the full extent of your possibilities. If you wanted to do EVERYTHING, it would take much longer than 20 hours obviously. Another way to challenge yourself is to institute Ironman mode and restart from the beginning rather than your last save. That's what I do. It keeps things mysterious until I've really earned it.
no, sadly he insisted that the other guy didnt finish the game because he has to do all those things to claim that. and thats pretty different. Im not sure though how to do ironman in this game as I cant remember a single case where I died for anything but bugs and for me that wouldnt justify a restart, I used to start fresh though with each upgrade. the very sad thing is that after the second restart there is no any mysterious in this game as you will just know everything and again it will be just repetitive. ohh there and there and there were the depots, there i can buy that ship... etc etc etc. as there is no real variation, especially reasonable variation there is just no reason. at least if some stuff would be random but its not...
Yeah I admit it is pretty easy to stay alive in this game, especially if you avoid conflict hotspots. But I thought I'd mention it as another way to challenge yourself.

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Wed, 6. Mar 19, 01:55

Interesting thread and replies. I have never played any X series games before X4 and only because I was just tired of Elite, EOL and waiting on SC. I bought the game at the beginning of Feb and enjoyed it enough that currently I have over 600 hrs in the game (I'm Retired). I started wondering is it just me or is this galaxy too small for this game, but I see others do as well.

In short, due to some bugs I guess in 1.6 I have 95 ships, 50 stations and about 3 b in credits and it seems that I have over saturated the economy or maybe it is the 2.0 changes but revenue has just dried up. Most of my industrial ships just sit in space full of wares with nowhere to go. I have explored everything, earned +30 rep with all the major factions and now all I do now is sit in the map mode trying to defend the four quadrants from the Xenon incursion so I spend little time actually in a ship since the change. Seems Egosoft have decided the game needs to be war based and everything else is incidental to that. At any rate, I have run out of things to do other than fight Xenos and think maybe X series is just a flash in the pan and it is time to move on.

CaptainSim

Post by CaptainSim » Wed, 6. Mar 19, 02:19

MHDriver wrote:
Wed, 6. Mar 19, 01:55
Interesting thread and replies. I have never played any X series games before X4 and only because I was just tired of Elite, EOL and waiting on SC. I bought the game at the beginning of Feb and enjoyed it enough that currently I have over 600 hrs in the game (I'm Retired). I started wondering is it just me or is this galaxy too small for this game, but I see others do as well.

In short, due to some bugs I guess in 1.6 I have 95 ships, 50 stations and about 3 b in credits and it seems that I have over saturated the economy or maybe it is the 2.0 changes but revenue has just dried up. Most of my industrial ships just sit in space full of wares with nowhere to go. I have explored everything, earned +30 rep with all the major factions and now all I do now is sit in the map mode trying to defend the four quadrants from the Xenon incursion so I spend little time actually in a ship since the change. Seems Egosoft have decided the game needs to be war based and everything else is incidental to that. At any rate, I have run out of things to do other than fight Xenos and think maybe X series is just a flash in the pan and it is time to move on.
You've gained +30 with every faction. Wouldn't the next logical step be to take over the factions? That might be something to do if you're up to it.

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Wed, 6. Mar 19, 03:06

CaptainSim wrote:
Wed, 6. Mar 19, 02:19
MHDriver wrote:

You've gained +30 with every faction. Wouldn't the next logical step be to take over the factions? That might be something to do if you're up to it.
What does that entail taking over a faction and what would be the benefit? From what I see those factions are at least cannon fodder for the Xenon incursions if nothing else.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Wed, 6. Mar 19, 03:11

MHDriver wrote:
Wed, 6. Mar 19, 03:06
What does that entail taking over a faction and what would be the benefit?
Benefit is that you are all alone in the universe locked up with all your own genial NPCs.
In my book that's a game over more like, but to each their own..

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Wed, 6. Mar 19, 03:44

pref wrote:
Wed, 6. Mar 19, 03:11
MHDriver wrote:
Wed, 6. Mar 19, 03:06
What does that entail taking over a faction and what would be the benefit?
Benefit is that you are all alone in the universe locked up with all your own genial NPCs.
In my book that's a game over more like, but to each their own..
I see

Thecrippler

Post by Thecrippler » Wed, 6. Mar 19, 04:56

MHDriver wrote:

Same for me got everything what I need it and there is noting more to do and like you said time to move on

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Wed, 6. Mar 19, 11:15

Fact is, X4 is smaller than X3 in every department.

- Galaxy is smaller, both factually (yeah, sectors can "expand"... into virtual nothingness, so the feature is moot by definition) and gameplay wise: due to highways, you can traverse the galaxy from one corner to the other in a matter of minutes. Sure, in X3 we had jumpdrives for an equivalent result, but the actual initial effort to map the 232!! (in AP) sectors, quite a few of them pretty well hidden, was massive and kept you occupied for a good chunk of the early to mid game.

- There was a lot more to do in X3: way more ship types and classes to fly and experiment with (all of them much more diverse), more races, missions, more of everything. Prices - and the time it took to make a profit - were way higher too, it took much longer to get to the capital ships (real capitals, not the ones that fly almost like medium sized ones here), but there also was enough content and diversity to keep you occupied during the "grind".

- There were plots. Granted I don't miss them per se - they often were pretty much glorified tutorials and also often were pretty bad overall - they were yet another type of content to interact with while you slowly progressed. Scrapping the developing intensive plots would have been mighty fine if that meant using those resources and that time to offer more - and more involved - game generated content. But... they didn't.

When it comes down to it, X4 is a shell. A foundation, yeah: a platform that - when one day it will hopefully work in its base mechanics, many of which are currently still broken - could grow to offer a comparable amount of content. Right now it doesn't. The major reason why it's hard to really spend hundreds of hours in it is that there's hardly reason to: for instance, one of the biggest pushes to progression in X3 was getting that bigger ship, or that ship of another race you had to build relations with, to try the new toys it came with, different weapons and such. First to fly them personally, then to choose how to build (and flavour) your fleets. Would you mix and match? Would you go with the Terran ships to see your fleets use their exclusive weapons? Or would you flavour your fleet with OTAS ships only? And so on. You could spend hours just trying to find (or cap) that unique ship variant with a special loadout or look to then mass produce it at your HQ. In X4 all ships mount the same few weapons, nothing really relevant changes between ship classes or manufacturing race: as such, nothing really changes in your gameplay apart from having a bigger cargo, more or fewer turrets, and more or less sluggish flight, everything is pretty much the same. As such, nothing really keeps you invested for the long term.

Obviously, the dynamic faction wars and conquests are where we could see X4 beat X3: it's a feature X3 only had in a couple mods. Wars and player conquest can be a long term goal that makes you feel invested and push you through the grind. When they'll work. They are just barely beginning to, up until 2.0 they simply were not really implemented (even though they kept assuring they were...). And this is the other problem with X4: what little content actually is in the game, often doesn't really work yet. We'll see when they'll be finally in as they should. Even though, I've got to say, "wars and conquests" lose quite a bit of appeal when factions have half a dozen sectors tops, instead of several dozens. There's the risk they are going to feel more like neighborhood squabbles rather than "epic" wars. I seriously hope when the race expansions hit, they won't just add 5 sectors per race and put the Split there, the Boron here, but also add quite a bit more unrelated sectors all around to increase the scope of the galaxy. Some of the mechanics introduced in X4 can grow to be fairly interesting, but right now X4 suffers from an ironic malady: the foundations it's built upon are way too small to support them and let them reach their full potential.

Ramokthan
x4

Post by Ramokthan » Wed, 6. Mar 19, 16:01

X3 took a lot more time because it was way more difficult and grindy.

Which is imo, neither good or bad. thing i miss is the feeling of getting a new bigger ship feeling satisfying because:
1. there is almost no effort to get the new ship
2. they are not particular stronger.

Since Weapons across S M and L share the same mechanics and cooldown rates and dodging is somewhat useless unless you fight vs a guy with plasmas fighting feels like holding your fire on the enemy till he pops because he tries to dodge while he cant fire at you while he dodges. After that only numbers win. Not Equipment or Pilot skill (NPC or Yourself). Outnumber the enemy and you win. No smart weapon selection/setup, tactics, battleformations or skilled Pilots needed.

The ship designs are... well i got the feeling they look clunky all across the board. I absolutely loved the design differences in both graphics and specializations for Borons/Split/Paranids/Argons/Teladi. Now we not only have 3 active factions left but also their ships lack uniqueness. In X3 i cound tell from a mile away which faction this ship is from. In X4 im not even sure when i am standing right beside it.

Oh and srsly even tho i like the Teladi, i really really miss the Borons (yeah i met Boso Ta already) and especially their gorgeous ship designs.

Another thing that pretty much disappointed me is that it was said in early dev you can walk on your ships... but well there is only the bridge you can walk on, and on most ships that is not even mentionable.
I had a gorgon in my first save, which was a bit better according this, because there were several terminals on the bridge where you saw your service crew actually working. This is the stuff that makes the experience immersive.

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Wed, 6. Mar 19, 20:37

CaptainX4 wrote:
Malakie wrote:
Tue, 5. Mar 19, 21:44

Tell me you are joking? I have a LOT more hours then that in and not even close to the game being over... Have you completed every single campaign mission chain? For the Argon, Teladi, HOP and others? Have you taken over all sectors or built a starbase empire? Have you beaten the Kaack and the Xenon so they do not have sectors under control anymore?

Have you found all the depots, filled the entire time line and other hidden items?

I very much doubt you accomplished all that in 20 hours. LOL
and you think those are the things people have to do to finish the game? to find all the 28 depots and do the same crap 28 times for 28 useless reward? these are not the reason to play, these are just little things during the journey and X games were never about ruling the universe. its to become the most powerful, to reach the top, and thats pretty doable in 20 hours. form that taking down a xenon sector is just: go! kill!, well, would be if it worked but its not even working. I can capture tons of huge ships turn them on any faction and deal with them in no time, but total destruction is just repetitive and not the aim for everybody, i for one liked to live in peace with all factions, build up my empire fight only the xenon and khaak and in earlier games this took months, now in 20 hours you can easily get to the level where you would be able to beat the crap out of anybody and you dont even need to exploit the game for it, just play normally...

So, I will ask again, you have completed the entire main campaign mission train? All the other campaign mission changes etc? All of them? There is more to a game that just "beating the crap out of them"... but I guess you must be one of those type players that just likes to get through a game as fast as possible and not bother to find or do any of the other things that take a little effort to find and do... so be it, your loss not mine.
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Wed, 6. Mar 19, 20:38

CaptainX4 wrote:
Tue, 5. Mar 19, 23:24
CaptainSim wrote:
Tue, 5. Mar 19, 23:17
CaptainX4 wrote:

There is no particular right way to play the game. He was just giving you the full extent of your possibilities. If you wanted to do EVERYTHING, it would take much longer than 20 hours obviously. Another way to challenge yourself is to institute Ironman mode and restart from the beginning rather than your last save. That's what I do. It keeps things mysterious until I've really earned it.
no, sadly he insisted that the other guy didnt finish the game because he has to do all those things to claim that. and thats pretty different. Im not sure though how to do ironman in this game as I cant remember a single case where I died for anything but bugs and for me that wouldnt justify a restart, I used to start fresh though with each upgrade. the very sad thing is that after the second restart there is no any mysterious in this game as you will just know everything and again it will be just repetitive. ohh there and there and there were the depots, there i can buy that ship... etc etc etc. as there is no real variation, especially reasonable variation there is just no reason. at least if some stuff would be random but its not...
Hey I used his OWN words.. he said he completed the game in 20 hours, which is NOT possible...
Take it light.....

Malakie

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Wed, 6. Mar 19, 20:43

MHDriver wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I agree the galaxy is way too small and there is a lot missing.. However as a player of Egosofts X series from X-Beyond's release, I can tell you that they WILL rectify that as they develop more content.. We that have been in the series for so long can clearly see that with X4, Egosoft made a huge shift in the design so that now it is damn easy to add new and huge content.

X4 is just out but I would bet big time, there are some of the well known modders of the entires series, right now working on huge mods that will blow your mind when they finally announce and release them... And some of those mods are as big and inclusive as the content Egosoft will soon be adding to the game themselves...

This ride is long from over for X4... of that you can have no doubt on... While I agree this initial release was way too small in scope and size, my bet is they simply ran out of time to incorporate all parts.. they needed to get the new version in our hands to generate income... Keep in mind, Egosoft is a small one product studio.. this IS their life line to stay in business so I fully understand why they went this route...

Yes, the game has issues, especially in the user interface, i.e. lacking any kind of filters for the lists for your properties, owned and sector viewed etc... but I am sure they will get there...
Take it light.....

Malakie

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Wed, 6. Mar 19, 21:25

Malakie wrote:
Wed, 6. Mar 19, 20:43
MHDriver wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I agree the galaxy is way too small and there is a lot missing.. However as a player of Egosofts X series from X-Beyond's release, I can tell you that they WILL rectify that as they develop more content.. We that have been in the series for so long can clearly see that with X4, Egosoft made a huge shift in the design so that now it is damn easy to add new and huge content.

X4 is just out but I would bet big time, there are some of the well known modders of the entires series, right now working on huge mods that will blow your mind when they finally announce and release them... And some of those mods are as big and inclusive as the content Egosoft will soon be adding to the game themselves...

This ride is long from over for X4... of that you can have no doubt on... While I agree this initial release was way too small in scope and size, my bet is they simply ran out of time to incorporate all parts.. they needed to get the new version in our hands to generate income... Keep in mind, Egosoft is a small one product studio.. this IS their life line to stay in business so I fully understand why they went this route...

Yes, the game has issues, especially in the user interface, i.e. lacking any kind of filters for the lists for your properties, owned and sector viewed etc... but I am sure they will get there...
Well you have a better perspective than I do for sure. I don't see any real point to X4 tbh. The Xeno incursions have reached a level where the endless tide of K's streaming out of Xeno space are camping gates and destroying everything, ships, stations especially the ones that I am in. The economy has slowed to a trickle and there just isn't time to do anything other than defend or withdraw all assets to some dead end pocket and I am tired of the endless battles. Perhaps as you suggest the game will have a point to it down the road but for now the list of games that promise to be something someday is getting kinda long.

Combat Wombat
x4

Post by Combat Wombat » Wed, 6. Mar 19, 21:53

The issue is X4 is missing the externally imposed goals of X3:TC and AP. With no plots to drive you, what point would there be in building that giant microchip complex? Having some real plots would solve 98% of my remaining issues with X4.
You can give a man fire and he will be warm for a day, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Thu, 7. Mar 19, 00:40

Combat Wombat wrote:
Wed, 6. Mar 19, 21:53
The issue is X4 is missing the externally imposed goals of X3:TC and AP. With no plots to drive you, what point would there be in building that giant microchip complex? Having some real plots would solve 98% of my remaining issues with X4.
I disagree. The plots only entertain you until they are over. Not saying they wouldn't be nice to have, but what really is missing from the universe is life, characteristics and variations. Every single npc, every other ship, mission, almost every sector is just a clone of each other. Landing on stations is all the same because of the dock module (in contrast to X-Btf - X2, where every station type had different docking interriors and was a joy to discover and see them all).
There is no point in discovering everything if everything is the same. Hell, even vanguard-sentinel ships have the same models.

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Thu, 7. Mar 19, 01:11

repatomonor wrote:
Thu, 7. Mar 19, 00:40
Combat Wombat wrote:
Wed, 6. Mar 19, 21:53
I disagree. The plots only entertain you until they are over. Not saying they wouldn't be nice to have, but what really is missing from the universe is life, characteristics and variations. Every single npc, every other ship, mission, almost every sector is just a clone of each other. Landing on stations is all the same because of the dock module (in contrast to X-Btf - X2, where every station type had different docking interriors and was a joy to discover and see them all).
There is no point in discovering everything if everything is the same. Hell, even vanguard-sentinel ships have the same models.
OP. You got your answer here.

sintri
x4

Post by sintri » Thu, 7. Mar 19, 02:45

How did you get 20 hours? The entire story was hope you somehow stumbled upon scanning random stations for a red blip till find a space station and rescue a Boron. Game pretty much ended right there, sure you could make more money but you could pretty much never lose money, also sure you could conquer the universe but it's just a matter of zerging it to death and then afterwards what then, you've got nothing left to buy stuff from you. 3 least gave you a semblance of power, with 4 your capitals will easily enough get destroyed a few small ships so in the end it's just a matter of spamming as much numbers as you can. No story, no real sense of accomplishment, the economy can't even provide any sense of enjoyment. Only thing now is log on every 20 hours for some skins, and that'll only go so far.

pvarn

Post by pvarn » Thu, 7. Mar 19, 04:34

I see this kind of post in every game title forum. The full time gamers who get all they want out of the game in the first few days. I'm a more leisurely player just seeing the war start to cook off on the edges of the map and the economy heating up in 2.0.
I have several weeks into the game and see many more weeks ahead of me.
-Pv-

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Thu, 7. Mar 19, 07:11

The problem of why some people feel the game ends quickly while at the same time others who spent 200+ hours and still enjoying it, is how badly balanced the game is.

By balance i mean here, the balance between play styles.

Those who play X4 for the "conquest" and combat part of the game they will be disappointed. Since there is simply nothing drives the player to conquer. So combat driven gameplay can described as below:
1-Quickly explore galaxy (can be done in literally 30~40 minutes)
2-Do few missions until get enough for trader (20~40 minutes)
3-Launch auto traders, Amass enough money to buy fully equipped M ship (3~4 hours)
4-Buy a destroyer and Kill xenons (5~8 hours?)

And that's it. By point 4, I think many people get bored. There is nothing worth to drive people to go past point 4. Conquer xenon sector? and? For what purpose?
Destroy X faction? again, for what purpose? It has more drawbacks than positives.
Amass giga army? again, why? fully equipped 4~6 destroyers and a dozen of fighters can clear any sector with no goal other than self satisfaction.

If you want to go the trading route, this is where maybe the game gets more enjoyable. But it revolves around spamming SETA and watch your stations pumping shitloads of money

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Thu, 7. Mar 19, 07:53

Warnoise wrote:
Thu, 7. Mar 19, 07:11
If you want to go the trading route, this is where maybe the game gets more enjoyable. But it revolves around spamming SETA and watch your stations pumping shitloads of money
I prefer the Trade route but I haven't played since Xmas. It's just bad mechanics/UI/storage/trade offers/etc. I see no point installing the game again.

Return to “X4: Foundations”