Will X4 work with hotas and pedals?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nick 031287
x3tc

Will X4 work with hotas and pedals?

Post by Nick 031287 » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 17:33

i just treated my self to a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and i got some MFG crosswind flight pedals coming.
i was wondering will they both work on X4?

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 18:05

Joystick probably but dedicated support for pedals I dunno, doubt they have them to test with. You never know tho.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 30. Mar 18, 02:31

I hope at least Joystick and HOTAS. I know I can get my joystick and HOTAS to work with Rebirth.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 30. Mar 18, 17:48

From the X4 Q&A Index Sticky:

Q. Will X4 support Hotas (Saitek Rhino for example)? Can use of a mouse be avoided entirely if so desired?

A. I can't commit to explicit support for a specific joystick, but in general we are aware that people would like us to provide default profiles for HOTAS setups. You should be able to do most things without a mouse, but I can't promise it will never be needed.

Q. What’s the word on the support for joysticks with many buttons?

A. We support them. Sorry, the joystick support wasn't great at the launch of X Rebirth. We worked on that a lot recently, also for X Rebirth. We added a lot with the XR VR edition and also ported that back to X Rebirth. There is actually an update coming. I think with the next update of X Rebirth VR edition and also then with the next patch for X Rebirth default profiles for something like HOTAS systems are included. Mapping is possible for a while already and this is not limited. You can basically map as many buttons as you like. I think we now have like 8 devices. So lots of options for really sophisticated joystick setups.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

seePyou
x4

Post by seePyou » Wed, 18. Apr 18, 15:32

Falcrack wrote:I hope at least Joystick and HOTAS. I know I can get my joystick and HOTAS to work with Rebirth.
just to note that HOTAS means Hands On Throttle And Stick, and the joystick is the stick, so saying "joystick and HOTAS" is redundant.

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Fri, 20. Apr 18, 22:06

I have a Thrust master T16000M with throttle and they work with rebirth. To use them you need to use the thrustmaster mapping tool though.
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

Pesanur
x4

Post by Pesanur » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 20:41

I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS X, that is a five axis joystick (the slider behind the throttle is the equivalent to the pedals), and works perfect in X-Rebirth, without the need of any mapping software.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 20:50

nemesis1982 wrote:I have a Thrust master T16000M with throttle and they work with rebirth. To use them you need to use the thrustmaster mapping tool though.
I beleive you do not need to use the mapping software anymore with the recent Rebirth patches.

Deggial

Post by Deggial » Fri, 18. May 18, 16:31

Hi guys, it's quite a while since I logged into this forum the last time. But the upcoming game cought my interest for sure.

I was about to ask the same question as the OP.
Well, in respect to a HOTAS, the answer was pretty clear (and also reassuring :) )

But what about the pedals part? This one was skipped.

Those MFG crosswind pedals do linger under my computer desk, too (and gawd are they awesome! I bought them for Elite: Dangerous and never regretted the purchase. I love how they make flying a "whole body experience"!)

Naturally, I would love to use them in X4 as well - how big are the chances for this?

pbright
x4

Multi-Device Support

Post by pbright » Wed, 23. May 18, 18:34

All they need to do is allow Multi-Device support. If they do that I can configure a hotas jostick (device 1 - flying), hotas throttle (device 2 - flying ), xpad (device 3 - walking around first person), Mfg pedals (device 4 - flying)

Sure hope they do that...

BurnIt!
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by BurnIt! » Sat, 26. May 18, 09:05

Alan Phipps wrote:From the X4 Q&A Index Sticky:
I think we now have like 8 devices. So lots of options for really sophisticated joystick setups.
That should cover multi-device support.
BurnIt!
In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft. / In peace lies strength.

Deggial

Post by Deggial » Tue, 29. May 18, 12:02

Thank you, BurnIt! for your clarification!
This is great news!

(As for the Q&A hint: Things are not always as clear (for n00bs like me) as they seem to be for technically more versed people. At least for me "device support for joysticks" didn't necessarily relate to rudder pedals. Anyway, now it is sorted and I am happy! :) )

sdkfz2512
x4

Re: Will X4 work with hotas and pedals?

Post by sdkfz2512 » Mon, 4. Mar 19, 15:37

Yes it does. My MFG's work perfectly as well as the Warthog.
sdkfz2512

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Will X4 work with hotas and pedals?

Post by CBJ » Mon, 4. Mar 19, 15:38

That's good to hear, but dredging up a 9 month old thread from before release, probably wasn't the best way to tell us. :)

Return to “X4: Foundations”