The X4: Foundations Manual has been released

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: The X4: Foundations Manual has been released

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 06:01

stefanEgo wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 18:09
Dear all,

The X4: Foundations Manual has been released. ...
This is a Wiki Manual, not a game "Manual" as it's normally considered. Is there a downloadable version of this "Manual" or is it online-only? Is there a .pdf, perhaps, even if it's marked "Temporary?"

I do understand that things may change and the "Manual" may need updating from time to time in order to stay current. But, that's not my problem. :)

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 08:58

Morkonan wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 06:01
Is there a downloadable version of this "Manual" or is it online-only? Is there a .pdf, perhaps, even if it's marked "Temporary?"
Yes. Please follow the following link for info. It is mentioned in 1st reply to the OP:
stefanEgo wrote:
(see here for info)

AkayaKaito
x4

Post by AkayaKaito » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 09:54

"Liquids are unable to be manually mined."
Is this set in stone? Or will there be a way a player can do that some day?

Witchy
x4

Post by Witchy » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 09:58

I keep getting prompted to log in when I attempt to view wiki. I do that but I get the prompt again every tine I click on a section. I am using an iPad to access the wiki so is the problem related to that or something else?

Scorpion1948
x4

Post by Scorpion1948 » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 11:07

I have just made it into a PDF but can't find where it has hidden itself.
Any thoughts or ideas?

jakotheshadows
x4

Post by jakotheshadows » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 18:01

Please document NPC skills and requirements for leveling each, as well as default behavior minimum requirements. It is always unclear why a captain is unable to be assigned a particular default behavior (behavior is simply disabled with no tooltip, wtf).

guidovk
x4

Post by guidovk » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 18:20

Both the Wiki and the manual link use port 8444 instead of 443, so they may be blocked by some firewalls.

Zealoth
x4

Post by Zealoth » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 01:47

Do they explain the need for Cargo Drones on Stations for L or bigger ships? Took me good few hours to realise that they were not dropping off anything since neither had drones...
(It wasn't mentioned or explained anywhere in the game)

Staja Bepon
x4

Post by Staja Bepon » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:38

Yeah can't access the wiki, any other way to get to it? It's being blocked on my end.

Spiralrazor

Post by Spiralrazor » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:57

Suggestion:

Workshop;

It would be a great help since items are consumed to explain what each of the various modifiers does while crafting ship mods...IE, No one ive talked to has any idea what most of the modifiers do...Sticky Projectile time?? Reducing mass vs increasing thrust or something else Chassis related? Its impossible to make informed decisions with so little game info available.

Spiralrazor

Post by Spiralrazor » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:59

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 02:39
Spiralrazor wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 02:06
Neither of those sections mention anything about how you go about acquiring and assigning a Black Marketeer or Trade Agent to your stations.......
Neither did you.
stefanEgo wrote:
If there are game mechanics for which you would like further clarity on, please mention that in this thread to help the Manual develop on its own.
Please detail how Black Marketeer and Trade Agents are acquired and assigned.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:44

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 08:58
Morkonan wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 06:01
Is there a downloadable version of this "Manual" or is it online-only? Is there a .pdf, perhaps, even if it's marked "Temporary?"
Yes. Please follow the following link for info. It is mentioned in 1st reply to the OP:
stefanEgo wrote:
(see here for info)
Thanks! For others, one of the replies on the Wiki by an Anon offers a clear description of how to export the Wiki to .pdf -

"I'm not sure about mobile, but on pc it's hidden, but is easy.

Bottom left, 'Space tools' -> Content Tools

Content Tools, 'Export' -> PDF, Next.

Self explanatory from this point

It's currently about 5MB, and seems to be fully functional (links intact) with a TOC at the top. However, text often goes between pages which looks weird if you have top/bottom borders on your pdf reader
"

Thanks, Anon!

Basically, the answer to get a .pdf "Manual" is - Export the entire Wiki to .pdf using the site's "Space Tools" at the bottom-left of the Wiki frame.

Invasion

Post by Invasion » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 17:24

How do I get a trader to automatically transfer wares between my stations?
One of my stations produces gas based wares - Quantum Tubes and Claytronics. Another station produces the Microchips that are required for Claytronics.
I want the Microchip station to be able to supply my gas based station to make Claytronics, AND sell Microchips to other factions at the same time.

Restricting faction trading on the Microchip station means it will not sell to other factions.
"Distribute wares" default behavior DOES NOT work to distribute exclusively between my own stations.

The automation of transferring wares between player owned stations is CRUCIAL, if we are to be able to operate fully player-owned ship production once we get to make our own wharfs and shipyards. It is NOT REASONABLE to require every production module of everything from raw resources up to the most complex wares, to be built on a single station just so that the attached wharf module can obtain everything needed to complete and fully outfit your new ship within reasonable time.
<Blunt Threadslayer>
Making you sweat today, so you won't have to bleed tomorrow

Invasion

Post by Invasion » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 18:15

Also, how do we deactivate station defenses or at least tell them to stop retaliating?

If for some reason a police ship turns hostile against you in a sector where you own a station, he will attack the station even if you manage to get him off your tail.
And if your station is armed (as you would reasonably expect to have drones) there is no way to get the station to stop retaliating.
There is no way to end the fight and the police ship's faction will keep sending in more ships. Rep will continuously drop, beyond -10, at a rate faster than you can gain it back by helping them deal with pirates (if there are any to begin with)

There is a huge risk of this happening with the invincible PHQ being only one jump away from the MIN wharf/shipyard. MIN occasionally sends police patrols into Grand Exchange I
<Blunt Threadslayer>

Pandorian
x4

Post by Pandorian » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 15:44

Invasion wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 17:24
One of my stations produces gas based wares - Quantum Tubes and Claytronics. Another station produces the Microchips that are required for Claytronics.
I want the Microchip station to be able to supply my gas based station to make Claytronics, AND sell Microchips to other factions at the same time.

Restricting faction trading on the Microchip station means it will not sell to other factions.
"Distribute wares" default behavior DOES NOT work to distribute exclusively between my own stations.

The automation of transferring wares between player owned stations is CRUCIAL, if we are to be able to operate fully player-owned ship production once we get to make our own wharfs and shipyards. It is NOT REASONABLE to require every production module of everything from raw resources up to the most complex wares, to be built on a single station just so that the attached wharf module can obtain everything needed to complete and fully outfit your new ship within reasonable time.
I posted about this yesterday but unfortunately it got buried without much attention. The TL;DR of it was that your ships won't see your station and will prioritize NPC stations. I went through every available option in behavior, right-click, and station to try and get reliable automation. Another poster said that your ships won't see your stations/wares unless the restrict option is unchecked but I've see a checked ware be traded from another of my stations so the only conclusion I can come to is that trading between stations is bugged/unreliable or never meant to be a thing at all.

------------

As for things I'd like to see added to the manual, how about a detailed description of Behaviors and Right-Click options and what they are intended to be used for.

Distribute wares is highly un-intuitive and I see no reason why I should go out and get a 3 star pilot for "Auto Trade" when right clicking sets everything I need quicker and doesn't need an experienced pilot. Then "Import wares", "export wares", and "sector trading" all seem like attempts to make the available commands look more in depth when in reality all they're doing is the same command but setting the slide bar for buy/sell to o/max, max/0, and 0/0 respectively.

yonker3445
x4

Post by yonker3445 » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 19:04

Invasion wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 17:24

Perhaps I am confused, but, why not assign a trader ship to your microchip station for autotrade and another ship to supply your claytronics station. If both stations are in the same sector restrict your microchip>claytronics "distributor" to 1 sector of travel. Sure it will trade with other stations in that sector, but, you want to do that anyways. If the distance is larger between the 2 stations then the range of the ship will have to include all the other stations in that range as well. This might be your main concern as there is no "direct" automation for a ship to transport a single ware from one specific station to another, at least as far as I can tell. Hope this helps.

Invasion

Post by Invasion » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 06:46

yonker3445 wrote:
Thu, 13. Dec 18, 19:04
Perhaps I am confused, but, why not assign a trader ship to your microchip station for autotrade and another ship to supply your claytronics station. If both stations are in the same sector restrict your microchip>claytronics "distributor" to 1 sector of travel. Sure it will trade with other stations in that sector, but, you want to do that anyways. If the distance is larger between the 2 stations then the range of the ship will have to include all the other stations in that range as well. This might be your main concern as there is no "direct" automation for a ship to transport a single ware from one specific station to another, at least as far as I can tell. Hope this helps.
Because I am looking for a proper, more reliable solution. My stations are only one gate apart. And in the sector of my Claytronics factory, there is also an Argon Claytronics factory. If Argon is putting up a buy order on Microchips that is higher than I can possibly set on mine, then he is invariably going to hijack my supply of Microchips. You might say "hey, that means you're making bank on Microchips, so there is no problem" well you are wrong. The margins on Microchips is far lower than on Claytronics. If my competitor manages to produce Claytronics more effectively than my own factory, then they will be able to sell more of the stuff at greater quantity and lower price, and take away the big prize of my Claytronics business.

There needs a way to automate the transfer of wares without possibly dealing with stations of other factions. Otherwise the supply of the dozen intermediary products for fully player-owned ship production is going to be an absolute nightmare.
<Blunt Threadslayer>

OneOfMany
x4

Post by OneOfMany » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 18:00

Invasion wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 06:46
yonker3445 wrote:
Thu, 13. Dec 18, 19:04
Because I am looking for a proper, more reliable solution. My stations are only one gate apart. And in the sector of my Claytronics factory, there is also an Argon Claytronics factory. If Argon is putting up a buy order on Microchips that is higher than I can possibly set on mine, then he is invariably going to hijack my supply of Microchips. You might say "hey, that means you're making bank on Microchips, so there is no problem" well you are wrong. The margins on Microchips is far lower than on Claytronics. If my competitor manages to produce Claytronics more effectively than my own factory, then they will be able to sell more of the stuff at greater quantity and lower price, and take away the big prize of my Claytronics business.

There needs a way to automate the transfer of wares without possibly dealing with stations of other factions. Otherwise the supply of the dozen intermediary products for fully player-owned ship production is going to be an absolute nightmare.
This is where the Think part of the game comes in. You can cripple a factories production by hacking one of its terminals. If and when they get that fixed by actually having terminals to hack you should be fine.

Invasion

Post by Invasion » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 05:59

OneOfMany wrote:
Sat, 15. Dec 18, 18:00
This is where the Think part of the game comes in. You can cripple a factories production by hacking one of its terminals. If and when they get that fixed by actually having terminals to hack you should be fine.
Here's whats going on...
I'm asking how I can do A
I get told to do B
I explain that B does not work because of C
And now I am told to eliminate C

Sorry, I want to do A instead. I don't just want to move Microchips to the next sector. I also have a station in need of Medical Supplies that is 7 sectors away.
It would be unreasonable to ask of me to sabotage every NPC station that wants Medical Supplies in a 7 sector range from my medical goods factory...

So how do I get a trader to automatically transfer wares between my stations as needed, whilst ignoring other factions' stations?
If its not possible you can just say so. I don't want to have to jump through hoops to create an artificial situation, just to get another function to indirectly serve as a makeshift solution.
<Blunt Threadslayer>

OneOfMany
x4

Post by OneOfMany » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 21:09

Thats fair comment, although from past experiences, a straight forward answer generates what if's so now i try and anticipate those before answering.

To my knowledge, what you are asking for is not possible to do automatically in the game at this time.

Return to “X4: Foundations”