X4: Foundations with OBS Window Mode / Game Mode does not work.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

StoneLegionYT
x4

X4: Foundations with OBS Window Mode / Game Mode does not work.

Post by StoneLegionYT » Thu, 29. Nov 18, 21:27

Just to repeat this not a Egosoft issue but OBS / Vulkan API issue.

At this time I wanted to make a thread since people will be googling this a lot.

X4: Foundations does not sadly seem to work via Game Mode or Window Mode. This seems to be a Limitation from the Vulkan API and not actually X4: Foundations though I'm surprised Window Mode can't be captured but that seems to be how it is.

Once the game Launches tomorrow I will attempt to find some workarounds. From my understand Dxtory will work but it's messy on it's own. OBS for me is amazing as I encode live when I record.

If you want to record with OBS you need to use Display Capture at this time.

I will update this thread as time goes on.

Developer Response from OBS:
https://i.imgur.com/nnPcuda.png
"Vulcan games can be counted with one hand and so there was no priority to implement game capture for it (beside that it's difficult to do)"

Developers suggest to comment here and vote if you like Vulkan api as an idea.
https://ideas.obsproject.com/posts/59/a ... me-capture
Last edited by StoneLegionYT on Fri, 30. Nov 18, 21:21, edited 3 times in total.

Alee Enn
x4

Re: X4: Foundations with OBS Window Mode / Game Mode does not work.

Post by Alee Enn » Thu, 29. Nov 18, 21:38

Time for a stupid question ... how are those who are already streaming it, streaming it?
It's not unknown for a game to block being streamed, but for X4, it must be possible given that people are already doing it.
Formerly "Alien Tech Inc."

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Thu, 29. Nov 18, 21:43

Alee Enn wrote:
Thu, 29. Nov 18, 21:38
Time for a stupid question ... how are those who are already streaming it, streaming it?
It's not unknown for a game to block being streamed, but for X4, it must be possible given that people are already doing it.
Developers are giving out special keys that let them play the game early. Only a hand picked select few. Even me as a Youtuber would not be accepted due to low numbers and popularity. They seem to be picking the best of the best and that makes sense marketing wise.

Their also using Desktop Capture and Capture Cards.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 29. Nov 18, 21:45

As the link in the original post says, the problem is a technical one between OBS and Vulkan. It's not something we have any control over.

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Thu, 29. Nov 18, 21:59

Alee Enn wrote:
Kane Hart wrote:
Thu, 29. Nov 18, 21:43
Developers are giving out special keys that let them play the game early. Only a hand picked select few. Even me as a Youtuber would not be accepted due to low numbers and popularity. They seem to be picking the best of the best and that makes sense marketing wise.

Their also using Desktop Capture and Capture Cards.
Ummm .... the stupid question wasn't asking that ... but I guess, there's no such thing as stupid questions ...
Spoiler
Show
only stupid answers ... no offence intended
Formerly "Alien Tech Inc."

fcth
x4

Post by fcth » Thu, 29. Nov 18, 22:00

Alee Enn wrote:
The ObsidianAnt stream yesterday was running in a window and using some sort of desktop streaming. It sounded like he had worked out something different for his stream this morning, but didn't elaborate on what exactly it was, he just said it was much smoother.

Perahoky
x4

Post by Perahoky » Thu, 29. Nov 18, 22:18

"Hope is the last force i have"
"This is how liberty dies, with thounderous applause"
***Modified***

TrueSanity
x4

Post by TrueSanity » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 21:42

I just use monitor capture and use a hotkey to toggle streaming when I get the game running.
Alee Enn wrote:

Sutasu

Post by Sutasu » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 13:34

Exactly, only Windowed mode and display capture works. Tested it all, and thats the only usable solution.
I've made a quich tutorial how to do it on YT if you need visual help, I hope it will help.
https://youtu.be/C_tIpvk5LmY

Babberdeggl
x4

Post by Babberdeggl » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 01:26

The problem i have with obs. Even though capturing in borderless and fullscreen do work when using display capture, but this stuttering showed in Sutasu's Video is not bearable for me. Well and i can't be playing in window mode :lol: I wonder how people manage to stream X4 completly without stuttering.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 03:23

A capture card feeding a second computer should work. Mind, I haven't tested that. I dont see why it wouldnt though.

Shadowcub
x4

Post by Shadowcub » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 04:27

I've been using GeForce Experience. It's been streaming it just fine. :)

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 06:29

Shadowcub wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 04:27
I've been using GeForce Experience. It's been streaming it just fine. :)
Does GeForce Experience not capture the entire display? OBS does that too

Babberdeggl
x4

Post by Babberdeggl » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 08:43

Geforce Experience captures just the game and not bad either, but i miss a couple of settings. Mic filter for example.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 08:58

Babberdeggl wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 08:43
Geforce Experience captures just the game and not bad either, but i miss a couple of settings. Mic filter for example.
That's pretty good to know. I think I'll stick to OBS since I can get it to work pretty decent with display capture. The only time I had issues with OBS was when I try to push it to 60 frames a second 4 capture but once I put it back to 30 I never had the weird issues was stuttering or the delay or whatever the heck was happening.

Babberdeggl
x4

Post by Babberdeggl » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 09:16

Kane Hart wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 08:58
That's pretty good to know. I think I'll stick to OBS since I can get it to work pretty decent with display capture. The only time I had issues with OBS was when I try to push it to 60 frames a second 4 capture but once I put it back to 30 I never had the weird issues was stuttering or the delay or whatever the heck was happening.
But in order to capture it without stuttering you have to set it to 30 fps in window mode, at least that's what i've heard. Or is it somehow possible to do it in borderless window or fullscreen without stutter?

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 17:28

Babberdeggl wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 09:16
Kane Hart wrote:
Sun, 9. Dec 18, 08:58
But in order to capture it without stuttering you have to set it to 30 fps in window mode, at least that's what i've heard. Or is it somehow possible to do it in borderless window or fullscreen without stutter?
Sorry for me it was setting obs to 30 fps not the game. If you check my X4 series in the signature that is done via 1080P at 30 fps obs display capture mode.

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 17:39

If you have some settings in OBS, like me for example sound stuff for the mic and want more than 2 tracks for audio voice / game and the other for voice and game. You can mute the mic in nvidias recording options and simply turn on the audio capture you created in OBS, turn off display capture.

There will be a small delay in sound, but any good editor will allow you to slide the audio to where ever the sound matches the visuals.

However, I setup nvidia recording ok. Turned off "allow applications to take control of this device" for the mic and audio playback so that the nvidia drivers / proper sound drivers will handle it not microfails generic stuff. Set nvidias bit rate to 25 and editor to 25000kb/s. Sound is fine picture is fine. You can set the audio for nvidia to have 1 or 2 tracks only tho

ConorC
x4

Post by ConorC » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 11:59

hi guys, I've been testing capture software for this game

I get the stuttering in OBS too. I will to try setting it to capture at 30FPS. Saving at a bit rate of 16000 gives me a pretty good image quality, but I think I'll up that. I did a little stream at the weekend, the video is a bit compressed, but not sure is that OBS or Youtube. https://youtu.be/ANteA91tomU

I've tested it with Geforce Experience and to be honest, the mic capture is just not worth it. Getting the microphone as a separate track in to be mixed in later is just the best way, and Nvidia does not have that option.

I've tested Bandicam but with very little success, although I do suspect that Bandicam doesn't like my audio interface so my problems with may be due to that.

I used to have a DXstory license, but I haven't used it in years so I haven't tested it.

Return to “X4: Foundations”