[Mod] Disable Hull Collision Damage (redundant with X4 v1.2)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

SirNukes
x4

[Mod] Disable Hull Collision Damage (redundant with X4 v1.2)

Post by SirNukes » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 06:56

Update: X4 v1.2 removes collision hull damage, so this mod is no longer needed (unless a future patch adds damage back in).

Original mod text:
Spoiler
Show
One thing I liked about Rebirth (4.3) was not having to worry about taking hull damage or dying when I or my ships bump into things. In X4 collisions once again do shield and hull damage, although the hull damage is at least toned down from the X3.

This mod will disable damage to ship hulls when collisions occur. Shield damage is unchanged.

Download from dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4m4889zn1sd5 ... e.zip?dl=1
Last edited by SirNukes on Tue, 4. Dec 18, 19:42, edited 3 times in total.

Eeroth
x4

Re: [Mod] Disable Hull Collision Damage

Post by Eeroth » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 20:40

Nice job SirNukes. This is one thing that I like as in X3 your Ai controlled ships had some weird thing to kill themselves to every other Ai controlled ships and stations.
I have one question. As I can't try out this as I am very beginning in the game still and there is no "cheat menu mods" like on X3 and rebirth yet. So question is does this have effect on missiles?
If I remember correctly in X3 TC and AP if you did set them not to have collision damage missiles went just through them. So you were not able to kill anything with missiles.

Meiyo
x4

Post by Meiyo » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 21:41

What's the option in game setting ?
In French it's "Evitement des collisions" => Avoid collisions

You can find her just above the option for maintain speed while you are in a menu, I dont remember to have take damage from a collision...
I link even if it's in french, because you can look the position ;)

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 22:20

Eeroth wrote:
Sat, 1. Dec 18, 20:40
I have one question. As I can't try out this as I am very beginning in the game still and there is no "cheat menu mods" like on X3 and rebirth yet. So question is does this have effect on missiles?
If I remember correctly in X3 TC and AP if you did set them not to have collision damage missiles went just through them. So you were not able to kill anything with missiles.
So, in X3 you had to disable collisions entirely to prevent damage since the underlying damage code was inaccessible, which meant ships and missiles and such would fly through each other.

In X4, and I think Rebirth before it, collision damage scaling is partly accessible, so I just changed the hull damage to stay at 0. As far as I know it shouldn't cause any problem for missiles.

Applying the mod involves dropping it in the "X4 Foundations/extensions" folder, and then it will show up in game on the extensions list (enabled by default).
Meiyo wrote:
Sat, 1. Dec 18, 21:41
What's the option in game setting ?
In French it's "Evitement des collisions" => Avoid collisions
The collision avoidance option on the menu is doing something different: when enabled and you get close to an object, it will try to steer and strafe your ship away from colliding. It doesn't do anything about the hull damage when collisions do occur. (I personally turned it off right away because in Rebirth it would often bug out and fling you away if near a capital ship that is boosting; I haven't checked if X4 inherited that problem.)

Meiyo
x4

Post by Meiyo » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 22:38

SirNukes wrote:
Sat, 1. Dec 18, 22:20
The collision avoidance option on the menu is doing something different: when enabled and you get close to an object, it will try to steer and strafe your ship away from colliding. It doesn't do anything about the hull damage when collisions do occur. (I personally turned it off right away because in Rebirth it would often bug out and fling you away if near a capital ship that is boosting; I haven't checked if X4 inherited that problem.)

Good to know, thank's

CoffeeKitty
x4

Post by CoffeeKitty » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 20:23

SirNukes wrote:
Sat, 1. Dec 18, 06:56
One thing I liked about Rebirth (4.3) was not having to worry about taking hull damage or dying when I or my ships bump into things. In X4 collisions once again do shield and hull damage, although the hull damage is at least toned down from the X3.

This mod will disable damage to ship hulls when collisions occur. Shield damage is unchanged.

Download from dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1jdq44uzavaw ... F7sva?dl=1
i can't get your mod to load properly, there are several issues im having with it, there's no root directory for me to install it, and when itry to create one with a name of "disable_hull_collision_damage" or "Disable Hull Collision Damage" the game wont launch. if i unpack the entire zip into the extension directory the game will launch but wont detect the mod.

how am i supposed to organize the file structure?

also for some reason there's a blank folder in your zip lol

could you help me get this working?

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:26

CoffeeKitty wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 20:23

I was letting dropbox automatically zip things up for me, which seems to have been a bit of a mistake. The new link is to a manually zipped version, with appropriate internal root folder, and should hopefully work better. (I also swapped the content.xml over to utf-8 since that appears to be he norm for other X4 xml, but that change probably makes no difference.)

The paths should look like ".../X4 Foundations/extensions/disable_hull_collision_damage/content.xml" and similar, though I recall some people reported having more luck putting extensions alongside where saves are located.

CoffeeKitty
x4

Post by CoffeeKitty » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 20:24

SirNukes wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:26
CoffeeKitty wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 20:23

I was letting dropbox automatically zip things up for me, which seems to have been a bit of a mistake. The new link is to a manually zipped version, with appropriate internal root folder, and should hopefully work better. (I also swapped the content.xml over to utf-8 since that appears to be he norm for other X4 xml, but that change probably makes no difference.)

The paths should look like ".../X4 Foundations/extensions/disable_hull_collision_damage/content.xml" and similar, though I recall some people reported having more luck putting extensions alongside where saves are located.
excellent, thank you! will give it a go tonight

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”