Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release? - Now in beta.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

sakuramboo
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat, 26. Jan 13, 07:55
x4

Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release? - Now in beta.

Post by sakuramboo » Thu, 29. Nov 18, 22:09

It was mentioned that more information on the Linux version will be available closer to release. Since the release is tomorrow, what can we Linux users expect?

User avatar
preludelinux
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu, 18. Oct 18, 18:33
x4

Re: Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release?

Post by preludelinux » Thu, 29. Nov 18, 23:34

i sure hope so , wanted to stream a bit , but will wait patiently
posted in another linux question thread.
Post by CBJ » Wed, 28. Nov 18, 01:37

I think we've mentioned it before, but it's not in the sticky thread: we will try to put the Linux version out as a Beta either at, or fairly soon after, the Windows launch. As things currently stand I think after is more likely, so please bear with us while the dust settles from the Windows launch. With regard to voices, we don't currently have any plans to add voice recordings for the French version.
System Specs "Main System / Secondary System"
  • Linux Mint 19
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x / Core i7 4770k
  • 64 GB Ram / 32 GB Ram
  • 2X Nvidia GTX 1080 "4k + 1080P" / AMD RX Vega 64 "1080P"
  • KVM / Qemu Pci Passthrough 8 Core 16GB Ram Nvidia GTX 1080

sakuramboo
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat, 26. Jan 13, 07:55
x4

Re: Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release?

Post by sakuramboo » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 01:20

I read that before. That response was vague. Now that we have the release tomorrow, will the beta be available? If not, how "soon" is soon? Should I expect my Christmas vacation to be occupied or should I be planning to take some days off next year instead?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
Posts: 37461
Joined: Tue, 29. Apr 03, 00:56
x4

Re: Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release?

Post by CBJ » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 02:00

I'm afraid we are very much focused on getting the initial launch completed successfully and haven't planned in detail exactly when we will get the Linux beta started. As I said in my previous reply, please bear with us while the dust settles and we get a clearer picture of when we will be able to put some time into preparing it. Given that information, you can assume that it's now pretty certain that it won't actually be on the same day as the Windows launch.

StarTuxia
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 21. Aug 13, 04:21
x4

Re: Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release?

Post by StarTuxia » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 08:44

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 30. Nov 18, 02:00
I'm afraid we are very much focused on getting the initial launch completed successfully and haven't planned in detail exactly when we will get the Linux beta started. As I said in my previous reply, please bear with us while the dust settles and we get a clearer picture of when we will be able to put some time into preparing it. Given that information, you can assume that it's now pretty certain that it won't actually be on the same day as the Windows launch.
Thank you, I will spread the news to assume the beta won't arrive at the same time as the Windows release, but from that it sounds like it may not be too far behind (assuming there isn't too much 'space' dust from the Windows launch). Personally, I have already pre-ordered the CE version and will wait for the beta to hit :).

travitar
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun, 19. Feb 06, 09:02
x4

Re: Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release?

Post by travitar » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 08:50

StarTuxia wrote:
Fri, 30. Nov 18, 08:44
Thank you, I will spread the news to assume the beta won't arrive at the same time as the Windows release, but from that it sounds like it may not be too far behind (assuming there isn't too much 'space' dust from the Windows launch). Personally, I have already pre-ordered the CE version and will wait for the beta to hit :).
I really appreciate your commitment to Linux and maybe? the free software movement. I am holding back from engaging in a full scale discussion of why it's all important, and for the sake of brevity: thanks.

Blackphidora
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri, 30. Nov 18, 04:55
x4

Re: Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release?

Post by Blackphidora » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 09:01

Thank you Egosoft for committing to a Linux version.

looking forward to the Linux beta!

exotarih
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 30. Nov 18, 10:47
x4

Re: Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release?

Post by exotarih » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 10:50

Thanks for the confirmation concerning the Linux release. CE has been pre-ordered and I'll be waiting patiently. What I've seen in the streams/videos is looking superb so far, thanks for the hard work Egosoft!

On that note: Have any devs maybe gotten around to running(/trying to run) the game with Wine/Steam Play/Proton/etc.? I'll be definitely trying to do that tonight but it might be nice knowing not to get my hopes up ...

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
Posts: 37461
Joined: Tue, 29. Apr 03, 00:56
x4

Re: Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release?

Post by CBJ » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 11:50

One of our translators did try it under Wine, but unfortunately there were some DLL-related issues and he couldn't get it to work.

User avatar
MakerLinux
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue, 14. Nov 17, 14:10
x4

Re: Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release?

Post by MakerLinux » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 13:57

Thank you guys for the feedback. You know, that really makes a difference for a small public like us linux gamers when you're upfront on your plans. I appreciate that. I will be patiently waiting, money in hand. I love X: Rebirth and I have no doubt I'll spend hundreds if not thousands of hours playing X4.
Now, a question: can X4 be considered a 4X game? Because that was the case with X: Rebirth with the CWIR mod.
Last edited by MakerLinux on Fri, 30. Nov 18, 14:58, edited 2 times in total.
Brazilian Linux-only user, https://steamcommunity.com/id/patolinux on Steam. PC I use for playing: Ryzen 7 2700 with 16 Gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1070 with driver 418.56, Ubuntu 18.04
Controllers: steam controller via sc-controller or HOTAS set: Thrustmaster Warthog + Saitek X52 Pro + MFD F-16 + brandless chinese 3-pedal USB set.

mamolian
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun, 20. Jun 04, 21:43
x4

Re: Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release?

Post by mamolian » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 14:36

Nice one folks! Delighted to hear there will be a Linux version soon! In the meantime I'll enjoy X4 via Windows.

exotarih
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 30. Nov 18, 10:47
x4

Re: Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release?

Post by exotarih » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 16:55

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 30. Nov 18, 11:50
One of our translators did try it under Wine, but unfortunately there were some DLL-related issues and he couldn't get it to work.
Thanks for the reply!

Just noticed that the game is now available and went for a quick test run with Steam Play/Proton:

* game loads fine, intro plays, music plays, FPS counter looks very okay (for the 1 second loading screen)
* after that, the game unfortunately immediately crashes without any concrete messages in Proton 3.7.8 as well as Proton 3.16-4
* I can produce a ~1.5 MB trace of the crash but only will have time to dig into this tonight.

Also, not asking for any help or support since Steam Play is very understandably not officially supported - just wanted to quickly report for others who might be playing around with Steam Play as well. :)

Have a great launch Egosoft!

exotarih
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 30. Nov 18, 10:47
x4

Re: Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release?

Post by exotarih » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 17:37

Just a minor observation: It appears that the crash happens right when the main menu is to be rendered, specifically after/while loading 'utf8_64.dll' from ui\core\lualibs. Apparently this has got the wrong ELF class for Wine x64 and I'm not quite sure why. Anyone up for digging into this together later at night on Discord or something similar?

/edit: Ha, okay - I got it working, well, kind of. We can mitigate the crash by symlinking the utf8.so from the ui\core\lualibs from X:Rebirth to utf8_64.dll in X4. It doesn't crash but the main menu is entirely borked (and doesn't register any inputs I think.) So a proper utf8.so for X4 might help?

https://imgur.com/a/EUIaA52

User avatar
Funfi_Pi
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri, 8. Aug 14, 09:02
x4

Re: Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release?

Post by Funfi_Pi » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 17:47

Im currently downloading X4, i trying to get it work this evening. Hopefully its only this error. :gruebel: :gruebel:

ncc386
Posts: 984
Joined: Mon, 26. Apr 04, 12:58
x4

Re: Will there be a Linux version or beta for the release?

Post by ncc386 » Fri, 30. Nov 18, 18:05

I'm very excited for when I'm finally able to play the Linux version. You know, I'd prefer a native Linux release, but settle for a Wine-compatible version, too.

Post Reply

Return to “X4: Foundations”