Sector Planner v1.5 - NOW RELEASED (1 October 2005)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Grey Mark
x3

Post by Grey Mark » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 08:56

LS wrote
If anyone has any issues or thinks the user interface could be improved in certains areas (I know of a couple of places already!) or even has feature requests please let me know as I would like SectorPlanner to be as useful as it possibly can be!
One feature I would like to see in this fine utility is the ability to print off some or all of the data for a system.

Even without the ability to print the data, it is very usefull.

Brodie wrote
Great stuff, if there are any Moderators listening, THIS NEEDS TO BE STICKIED!!!!!!!
x-it wrote
And thanks again for this great tool. I hope this becomes a sticky, or at least included in the Ultimate Guide sticky already there.
I second or third those requests!

Mark

Orillion
x4

Post by Orillion » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 10:18

First thing, nice program

i saw that you wrote : program does not read anything about your current save games.

Wold it be possible to pull the data from the savegame about factori locations and such from the save game ???

And the next thing, would it be possible to port the application to the Symbian OS ( version 7.0 ) its used by mobiles ( Motorola A920/A925, P800 and such ) Could be cool to have the info by the hand :)
Processor: AMD AM4 Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.7 Ghz
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3200Mhz
GFX: Inno3D GeForce GTX 1070 iChill X3 8GB
Harddrive(s): Samsung Evo 970 250GB - Samsung Evo 960 500 GB - Western Digital Blue 1 TB

b-b-q
x2

Post by b-b-q » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 10:42

I'm not easily impressed. This thing impresses me. Thanks and great job.

LordSuch
x3

Post by LordSuch » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 11:43

Orillion wrote:First thing, nice program
Wold it be possible to pull the data from the savegame about factori locations and such from the save game ???

And the next thing, would it be possible to port the application to the Symbian OS ( version 7.0 ) its used by mobiles ( Motorola A920/A925, P800 and such ) Could be cool to have the info by the hand :)
If someone has some documentation of the X2 save game file format I might consider reading the factories from the save file, however I've got a feeling that egosoft have changed the save game format in every patch they've released - and the idea of having to write and test a significant piece of code like that every time egosoft releases a patch fills me with dread :P

A port to Windows CE may be possible (I don't know if the compact .NET framework supports all of the API's I used) however it cannot be ported to Symbian unless someone releases a .NET framework for it (well without completely rewriting the application).

*thinks* I might think about that save game exporter if I can find some docs on the save game format.....

Edit: A custom universe save game could really screw that save game importer up....

Cheers

LS
Last edited by LordSuch on Sun, 25. Apr 04, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

LordSuch
x3

Post by LordSuch » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 11:49

Grey Mark wrote:LS wrote
One feature I would like to see in this fine utility is the ability to print off some or all of the data for a system.
Mark, what data in particular would you like to see printed?

Let me know and I'll look into it.

Cheers

LS

sean|Bsc
x2

Post by sean|Bsc » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 12:52

its a very cool program. lot less buggy than most.

my only concern is that is does not seem to have a knock-on effect -

if i wanna work out the next best factory to buy i look for big -ve numbers in the res. right?
like if crystals are like -10 then a good idea is to build a crystal mine.

from what i can tell energy cells are in a surplus in bascially every sector. i.e big positive numbers.
which actually disuades you from building any SPP's at all. in the game SPP would lose money if the NPC stations were at 100% production. but they're not there short of crystals.
if you program could say "if crystals are short then energy cells aint gonna be comming out at 100%" then it would accurately show that SPP's are a good idea.
P4 3.2Ghz Northwood 800FSB
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128mb
Corsair 1Gb 400DDR Ram
Creative Audigy 2ZS
MSI 865PE Motherboard

LordSuch
x3

Post by LordSuch » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 13:23

seanbro wrote: my only concern is that is does not seem to have a knock-on effect -

if i wanna work out the next best factory to buy i look for big -ve numbers in the res. right?
like if crystals are like -10 then a good idea is to build a crystal mine.

from what i can tell energy cells are in a surplus in bascially every sector. i.e big positive numbers.
which actually disuades you from building any SPP's at all. in the game SPP would lose money if the NPC stations were at 100% production. but they're not there short of crystals.
if you program could say "if crystals are short then energy cells aint gonna be comming out at 100%" then it would accurately show that SPP's are a good idea.
Yup, -ve numbers are demand.

I agree with what you've said as I was thinking about it the other day, however when you start thinking about it, it becomes incredibly complex, for eaxmple if I have a lack of Soja Beans then:

Soja Husk production is low->
Crystal fab production is low->
Energy cell production is low->
Silicon mine production is low->
Crystal fab products is *LOWER*?

etc..

Also it doesn't cover the fact that I am using freighters much faster than the AI, so my factories are running at 100% by the AI's are not.

Also because products are being produced more slowly the resources are used more slowly, which in the end will have a knock on effect for the entire sector.

As you can probably appreciate, it just gets far too complex to even think about modelling this side of the economy.

When looking at the resource usage, you can get an idea that there may be some resource issues that you will need to fix if you want to use that product. i.e. some paranid sectors start of with Soja Husk +3 Soja Beans -2. This shows clearly that it is unlikely that the Soja Husk fabs will be producing at full speed.

On the SPP side of things, what do you have your jumps set to? If you set it to 5 then almost all the sectors will show up as having enough energy, however I usually use either 1 or 0, and sometimes 2.
Also you should note that most people "force sell" (i.e. have selling transports) for SPP's which does allow you to make a profit in a sector that has surplus energy.

A final note about SPP's is that the NPC ones appear to produce energy at a slightly lower rate than player ones, once I have proper information about this, I will update SectorPlanner appropriately.

I hope this helps

Cheers

LS

PS NPC Solar power plants always run at 100% as they don't *need* crystals to run - they're a secondary resources.

Steel
x4

Post by Steel » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 13:29

@LordSuch

That's a very very good piece of work. Well done. I'm sure it'll prove invaluable to lots of players.

Nice :D

Steel

Orillion
x4

Post by Orillion » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 13:40

it could be nice to be able to print out where your facories is
Processor: AMD AM4 Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.7 Ghz
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3200Mhz
GFX: Inno3D GeForce GTX 1070 iChill X3 8GB
Harddrive(s): Samsung Evo 970 250GB - Samsung Evo 960 500 GB - Western Digital Blue 1 TB

sean|Bsc
x2

Post by sean|Bsc » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 13:59

LordSuch - yeah its missing some advanced 'effects', bet they'ed be hard to add.

still a great useful prog, my congrats.
P4 3.2Ghz Northwood 800FSB
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128mb
Corsair 1Gb 400DDR Ram
Creative Audigy 2ZS
MSI 865PE Motherboard

Grey Mark
x3

Post by Grey Mark » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 16:38

LS

The info I would like to be able to print is the data on resource usage for a sector at X jumps. So when in the game, I don't have to remember what factory I needed to put there.

Idealy I would have another computer running with it on so I could double check the info. My missus would not be too happy though! :(

Another possible idea for improvement would be to make the display area for resource usage and stations larger to display all the data with out scrolling. But make them selectable on Tabs so that only one is visible at a time.

I attempted to create something similar over the Easter break, in excell. It involved looking at a sector and manualy calculating all the requirements for each station (using data from argonopedia) to find the holes in the supply chain. Needless to say after spending nearly 4 hours looking at Argon prime I decided that there must be an easier way!

Your sector planner is the answer.

Mark

LordSuch
x3

Post by LordSuch » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 17:05

Mark,

I like the idea about the tabs for the resource / station list - I'll look into implementing that. For the time being there is actually a "splitter" between the two grids (if you haven't found it already) so you can resize one to a small size which should help.

I'll also look into the printing - to be honest I didn't think about it as I run SectorPlanner on my laptop while I'm playing.... :)

I've never tried to do any printing from .NET so it'll be a bit of fun!

Cheers

LS

Tapsa
x3tc

Great app

Post by Tapsa » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 17:51

Great work Lordsuch. This is an extremely useful tool. I was just thinking about building Stott Mixeries in Argon space to help AI Cahoona production, and your app answered the question "where to build" very nicely :thumb_up:

Regarding printing, I don't see the point when you can just hit Alt+Tab and check stuff out while X2 waits in the background. I often check Argonopedia while playing the game. No need to quit the game just because I need to do something else with my computer. Never had any problems with frequent task switching and X2.

Ytsaot
x2

Post by Ytsaot » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 18:51

Ive seen rave reviews about this, but I dont have the .NET framework package. Any idea where I get that from? And is it possible to download on a 56k modem?
Ytsaot
Novas Captured - 5
Rank - Enlisted Nova Tamer

LordSuch
x3

Post by LordSuch » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 19:05

Ytsaot wrote:Ive seen rave reviews about this, but I dont have the .NET framework package. Any idea where I get that from? And is it possible to download on a 56k modem?
The link is on my website. But it is:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en

You might not want to download it via dial up though as it is about 23 MB....

Cheers

LS

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 20:17

Added a plug to The Argonopedia. Looks like a quality tool to me.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

LordSuch
x3

Post by LordSuch » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 20:36

Brianetta,

Thanks....

Wow this is the closest I'll ever get to fame :)

Cheers

LS

reed
x3

Post by reed » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 21:45

how do you modify the output of a ore mine or silicon mine depending on the asteroid it is placed on ie the ore belt 64 roid i need to take that into account
:?

Darkhold
x4

Post by Darkhold » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 21:51

reed,

after you add the station go to the station details and change the yield value. :)

JF James
x3tc

Post by JF James » Mon, 26. Apr 04, 01:13

Brilliant job, well done!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”