Ryzen vs Skylake Performance in XR/X4?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

StormMagi
x4

Ryzen vs Skylake Performance in XR/X4?

Post by StormMagi » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 19:12

Has anyone noticed a difference using Ryzen vs Skylake in terms of game performance? Curious since X4 (from what I understand) is based off a further developed XR engine (and I plan on building a comp in the next 6-8 moths or so).
Last edited by StormMagi on Sun, 24. Sep 17, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 20:30

Who would own both?

But more seriously, I’ve got the top of the range commercial Skylake, and it impresses me somewhat.

Video transcoding is stupendously fast and my games all run so fast I can’t detect any slowdown.

Whether or not a game will make use of all the cores is the real question. If not then which processor is better doesn’t matter much.

But then, at the speeds this level of processor can manage, you’d have to be a benchmark obsessive to notice any difference.

I’d say just go with the brand you like best.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 22:48

Everything I've heard suggests that Intel still have the lead in per-core performance, but Ryzen obviously has more cores at the same price point as the Intel chips do, so for heavily multi-threaded loads they're superior. Since games rarely make use of more than about 4 cores they don't benefit from that, though, so if you absolutely need those extra 10 frames per second go Intel. Having said that, Ryzen will run the games just fine at playable frame rates, so if you have some sort of hatred for Intel, go Ryzen by all means!

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 08:50

Intel is still the king of "gaming performance", given that said, you need to think in what are you going to do with your computer.

If you game, at the same time stream and do other things, Ryzen is your winner, it has more performance on multitasking and "raw power" so if you also do thinks like video editing, rendering and such, i recommend you going with the Ryzen.

Anyway, this days the difference in performance we are talking about usually are no more than 10 fps in games or a couple seconds in rendering, so people usually go with the one they like the most or the cheaper one.

For me personally, i dont like AMD, neither processors or graphic cards, they failed me in the past and they need to regain my confidence in them, so i have been building and using Intel+Nvidia computers for years.

Just like a month ago i build my latest one, with an i7 7700k and a MSI GTX 1080 and its working like a charm for now, and in a month or so i will OC and watercool it so it will work even better.

So, as others said, pick the one you like the most, or decide the best in your price range. If you tell us the ones you are considering i can probably give you some videos.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 09:34

korio wrote: For me personally, i dont like AMD, neither processors or graphic cards, they failed me in the past and they need to regain my confidence in them, so i have been building and using Intel+Nvidia computers for years.
How are AMD going to regain your confidence if you never use them?

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 09:57

An issue I have faced, given that I used to prefer AMD. Given the level of prices now, I fail to see how anyone can be prsuaded to switch camp easily unless they are doing a complete PC build and what you are offering really is exceptional.
To me 10 fps just isn't. That's trivial.

Processors are so expensive, and last so long, once you buy once, you're going to keep it until you need to upgrade. For me that's years, five at a minimum.

These days it the GPU, not the CPU, that's the real system bottleneck anyway in gaming.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 10:05

pjknibbs wrote:
korio wrote: For me personally, i dont like AMD, neither processors or graphic cards, they failed me in the past and they need to regain my confidence in them, so i have been building and using Intel+Nvidia computers for years.
How are AMD going to regain your confidence if you never use them?
Dont using them doesnt mean i dont check their improvements and how they are handling their new tech.

I follow some people on youtube that are constantly making reviews of PC hardware and comparing them, also i follow some webs and forums.

With Ryzen, they did a huge step ahead (IMO) but that doesn't mean i will just go and buy their stuff, i will see in the following years how they manage and improve their new tech and if it please me i will buy it in the future.

As any new tech, it has problems and flaws in the beginning, a lot of ram incompatibility, constant updates to the agesa code, weird behaviors at OC etc etc. As i said, i really think their processors will be a real pain in the ass for intel in a couple years, right now i only think they have slapped intel in the face and waked them up.

We will see what happens in the coming years, for us, as customers, i think it will be really good times.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 12:43

mrbadger wrote:To me 10 fps just isn't. That's trivial.
These days it the GPU, not the CPU, that's the real system bottleneck anyway in gaming.
Two broad, sweeping statements which may be true in many cases, but definitely not all. To give two examples that are relevant to the OP's actual question, in a VR game 10fps can make the difference between it being playable and it being very unpleasant to play, and in all X series games to date, and for the foreseeable future, the CPU is normally the bottleneck on most PCs.

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 12:47

For X4, no idea as it's not released and comparable yet, but for everyday gaming with no production needs such as workstation applications and gaming+streaming on twitch/youtube, 7700k is the way to go, for all other niches, get the ryzens if the price to performance is better.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 14:26

CBJ wrote:
mrbadger wrote:To me 10 fps just isn't. That's trivial.
Two broad, sweeping statements which may be true in many cases, but definitely not all. To give two examples that are relevant to the OP's actual question, in a VR game 10fps can make the difference between it being playable and it being very unpleasant to play, and in all X series games to date, and for the foreseeable future, the CPU is normally the bottleneck on most PCs.
VR is a niche technology that if it doesn't evolve soon into something better will soon be an ex technology of interest only to Wikipedia article custodians and collectors of obsolete technology.

AR on the other hand is great, still also very much in its early days in terms of gaming and commercial applications (it has, it could be argued, been in use in primative form by air forces for decades in HUDS), but it has more potential.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 15:03

As I tried to point out, my comments were directed at trying to keep the answers relevant to the OP's actual question, which was about the use of these processors for gaming, and more specifically for X series games.

In that context, the potential for AR in the space-game field is pretty limited, unless people start building cockpit-shaped gaming rooms. :)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 16:37

CBJ wrote:In that context, the potential for AR in the space-game field is pretty limited, unless people start building cockpit-shaped gaming rooms. :)
Well, if someone would design room-shaped cockpits to ease our burden ...

korio wrote:i will see in the following years how they manage and improve their new tech and if it please me i will buy it in the future.
Logical, but if "everyone" follows the same pattern, then AMD cannot afford to continue to the "Right Direction". (Superiority of product does not guarantee success.)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 17:26

CBJ wrote:As I tried to point out, my comments were directed at trying to keep the answers relevant to the OP's actual question, which was about the use of these processors for gaming, and more specifically for X series games.

In that context, the potential for AR in the space-game field is pretty limited, unless people start building cockpit-shaped gaming rooms. :)
I can't really see any pratical difference between Ryzen and Skylake then, unless you really want to get wrapped up in frame rate, which as I said is a pretty trivial thing in most situations.

I say just get the one you fancy.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Fri, 22. Sep 17, 12:26

jlehtone wrote: Well, if someone would design room-shaped cockpits to ease our burden ...
There's some pretty good attempts in the Elite Dangerous forums by people who have more money and time that I have avialable.
A flower?

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 23. Sep 17, 16:31

With AR all you'd need would be some boxes around you to provide surfaces, the AR could then overlay as fancy a cockpit as you wanted on top of that.

That's sort of the point of AR, it enhances the existing reality around you.

For instance, why bother with buying the technology to turn your wall into a monitor when you can just use AR and it becomes one?
That's why I think VR is a dead end, you have to wear head gear that you don't need with AR.

Using AR requires you to see and interact with the world around you, VR replaces it.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 23. Sep 17, 18:21

CBJ wrote:...
Agreed.

However, the extent to which certain gaming and sim fans will go to create their own "AR" in their living/gaming room can't be understated.

I deleted a bunch of stuff nobody wants to read, so to sum:

AR is potentially huge, bigger than anything "gaming." It's destined to be bigger than television, bigger than the "smart phone", bigger than "books."

What we're looking at here is the infancy of true, realized, "expanded reality." The very first steps have already been taken. It's "already here" in so many ways. We've already accepted it and don't even think about how our lives are already incorporating it. And, as human beings, our imaginations will supply everything we possibly need to seamlessly integrate future elements into our own reality.

"Gaming" is just the tip of the iceberg and all the basic tech we need to create "AR" is already here. Whoever ends up breaking the current AR barrier and then successfully follows that up by firmly exploiting it will be the next "Apple", "Google", "Amazon", or "Microsoft." Truly.

Likely, it will be one of those companies that "wins" the AR game, at least at first. But, we must first come to grips with AR being ubiquitous before the full power of commercial exploitation of this technology can take place. (Consider the Google Glass experience and the cultural crap-storm that resulted from its release. We haven't figured out how to deal with it because it is really "that big of a deal.")

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Sun, 24. Sep 17, 08:29

Unfortunately I didn't word my question that well, and forgot to check my email because of work. >_< I am not currently concerned or all that interested with VR at this time so that is a non factor.

What I am trying to figure out is: While Intel has higher clock/ipc per core, Ryzen has more cores overall. Does XR take advantage of Ryzen's extra cores and perform better, or is there a limit to how many cores XR (and potentially X4) is designed to take advantage of, thus tipping the scales to Intel for overall performance?
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 25. Sep 17, 07:04

Honestly, if there is any difference, I strongly suspect you won't see it outside benchmark software.

Game engines have yet to go fully parallel, and when they do it will still be down more to how well the game code is written, not the power of the chip, as to how good your framerate is.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 25. Sep 17, 09:07

StormMagi wrote:What I am trying to figure out is: While Intel has higher clock/ipc per core, Ryzen has more cores overall. Does XR take advantage of Ryzen's extra cores and perform better, or is there a limit to how many cores XR (and potentially X4) is designed to take advantage of, thus tipping the scales to Intel for overall performance?
Some parts of the game engine lend themselves better to parallelisation than others. Those parts that do may make some use of extra cores, but the limiting factor will almost certainly be the speed of the cores running those that don't. So, the simple answer is that for these specific games you'll probably get more bang-per-buck from a faster CPU than you will from more cores.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 25. Sep 17, 20:31

Was there something about Vulkan? Does the choice of DirectX/OpenGL/Vulkan have any effect on the possible amount of vectorization/threading -- theoretical level?

(Not that it really matters in the OP case.)

Return to “Off Topic English”