Feedback X4 Presentation

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 20:56

What i've seen with Star Citizen is that specific parts of the ship when impacting with say.. An asteroid causes that part of the ship to tear apart, even become sheered off.
But Star Citizen are under no illusions of their game being for high end machines.
So I can get a general idea of how you make something half as good as that for as little resources as you need to spend on that.
X games cater to the average specs, while SC is going all out.
There must be a way? Or a sacrifice for PC performance has to be made which people here need to accept.

lostProfitssssArrgh

Post by lostProfitssssArrgh » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 21:34

I'd guess the tearing effect you see in SC is actually pre-calculated : you have a 'clean' version and a 'torn' version of each part of the ship and when the collisions occurs, the geometry morphs from one to another until the piece is detached (also likely to be a different mesh swapped-in at the right time).

That being said, I haven't seen the SC video, just working from past experience here.

But in general, and especially with 64-bit computers, if you can save a lot a processor time by storing prefabricated stuff in RAM, that's what you're going to see.

HaradaTaro

Post by HaradaTaro » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 21:39

linolafett wrote:
HaradaTaro wrote: Fears:

- From what I saw once again like in X-rebirth we are flying a cockpit and nothing else. The rest of the ship doesn't exist... no hitbox and yo will beable to go nearly every where withoin tiny space as long as the cockpit fits in no matter if the rest of the ship is way too big.
Just answering this one, as its already a not that simple topic.

ARTIST ANSWER; MAY CONTAIN TECHNICIALLY INCORRECT UNDERSTANDING OF THE SUBJECT.
I try to answer with the best of my limited understanding, dont take it as 100% correct! Please.

In rebirth the skunk was rotated around the cockpit, because at the time it was deemed unacceptable to have a rotation origin far away (behind) the player. That felt off with the very quick rotationspeed of the ship.
The skunk had a collisionsphere around the cockpit for the same reason.

In X4 we use the ship origin (usually center of mass) to rotate around.
As the ships are less agile and m ships even much bigger, you have more time to adapt to the offset of the player position and the origin of rotation.

Which collisionmesh is used for playership collisions depends on the context.
In most of the cases the rule "smaller object will use boundingbox for collision, bigger object will use main geometry for collision".
Why? Performance reasons.

An example would be:
You sit in an ship and collide with a station.
In that case your ship collision is simplified with a bounding box.
Result: You may not fit into areas which visually would work, this is very rare with small ships though.
You also collide with sttaionparts with the back of your ship, or parts of your ship which are left/right of your cockpit. some ships have very extreme cockpit positions and you have to get used to each ships size.

Hope that helps to get rid of your concerns regarding origin of rotation and collision.
Tanks for the answer.

So Xrebirth was ****** on that as the collision box was just the cockpit. And you tell me that for X4 the collision box will NOT be restricted to the cockpit but take on merely the whole ship.

If yes that's fine because during the presentation each your presentator flew a ship he was always going really (TOO) close to station parts with out colliding and that left me with the impression "Os shit the same dumb idea than in X:R we are flying cockpits..."

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 21:52

@ HaradaTaro: Glad that fear seems resolved for now. The other fear of yours:
"-No word said on industry line and ship building... I guess it will be the old ship magically popping out from no where as much as wares... "

That could not be much further from the case. See this Economy post from Bernd and those same points were made in the XCon presentation and its recordings too.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

HaradaTaro

Post by HaradaTaro » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 22:07

Alan Phipps wrote:@ HaradaTaro: Glad that fear seems resolved for now. The other fear of yours:
"-No word said on industry line and ship building... I guess it will be the old ship magically popping out from no where as much as wares... "

That could not be much further from the case. See this Economy post from Bernd and those same points were made in the XCon presentation and its recordings too.
Thanks again but Bernd only say the factions and the race will expand their universe, their space, their empire.... NOT THE PLAYER.... and that's once again my greatest fear... because in X game I just Says

"F.ck the argon, F.ck the Terran, F.ck the other nations/races. It's MY EMPIRE and I want to conquer it !"

So is it for any moderator or Egosoft employe to report and have a clear answer ? We need to know if the player will be able to claim parts of the space is own and rule it !

Thanks again.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 22:24

HaradaTaro wrote:Thanks again but Bernd only say the factions and the race will expand their universe, their space, their empire.... NOT THE PLAYER.... and that's once again my greatest fear... because in X game I just Says

"F.ck the argon, F.ck the Terran, F.ck the other nations/races. It's MY EMPIRE and I want to conquer it !"

So is it for any moderator or Egosoft employe to report and have a clear answer ? We need to know if the player will be able to claim parts of the space is own and rule it !

Thanks again.
Yes you can.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

HaradaTaro

Post by HaradaTaro » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 23:18

Oh thanks so finally it took them 3 X games plus rebirth to understand that and allow the player to claim and own sectors of space finally not allowing other race stations and ships to appear in this nor allowing them to freely build in the middle of your space...

We will finally be able to rule sectors and the IA won't be able to act freely anymore in those sectors... Yeah Space will finally be ours !

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 23:44

You can claim own zones in XR for very long time. Just saying.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =574497655

MFG

Ketraar

HaradaTaro

Post by HaradaTaro » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 00:01

You can't claim sector to you nor forbid other racres/faction to come in a sector and build their own installation there. well last time I player it was impossible.... But it was nearly 2 years ago

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 00:30

Sounds repetitive but yes you can.

Can even name them if you want.

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 01:08

Looks to me like there's a bit of misunderstanding going on around here. To try to be as clear as possible:

- In X Rebirth it is possible to claim any empty area outside the existing zones by building a station there. Once built it's possible from its menu to give a name to the new zone, and it will actually appear on the map and as a possible destination for commands.

- In X Rebirth it is not possible to claim or conquer the already existing zones, you can wipe or incapacitate any existing ship and station by brute force, but you can't become "the owner" of said zone.

As for X4, I don't remember hearing anything about the possibility to claim sectors from any existing faction/race during the English presentation, but I have completely skipped on the German one so I'd be happy to get corrected if that's the case.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 01:20

In X4 I am going by the bit about being able to destroy stations, so in my opinion nothing stops you from wiping out what is in the sector and building your own.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 01:52

Rather just capture the stations in the sector to be mine then I'd not have to mess about filling the area with stations, with boarding ships full of marines. But doubt u can do that in x4.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

ekho
x4

Post by ekho » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 08:22

The footage looks great! I'm assuming that a lot of the graphical glitches and whatnot will be cleaned up, what with it being early alpha. I noticed quite a few missing shaders / lighting effects.

++ Fly more than one ship!
++ Map improvements (hearkening back to command console from x3.)
++ Dynamic factions / expansion (Hopefully this includes dynamic wars and limited amounts of ships, rather than constant endless respawns.)
++ Station building interface!
-- No terrans seen. :(

I'm curious if there will be any major crises, or if the game will be entirely dynamic? Moreso - Dynamic crisis? Xenon incursions, Khaak, something new?

I'm also curious as to how faction relation management will work. Can I negotiate alliances? Convince another faction to start a war?

All in all, very excited.

CommanderTM
xr

One small but important thing i did not see in presentation

Post by CommanderTM » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 10:40

Very small but very important visual information for me is - my current account balance, my total worth, my credits tied to trades.

I want this visible at all times when i do anything that may relate to trades or empire building. Buying stuff, browsing map mode, building stations and all those places where it would not be in a way.

Maybe it already was somewhere and i just missed it but i cant stress how much i want this feature :)

How about you guys?

PS: it would also be awesome to get some kind of chart with all factions with their total worth.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 10:52

I hope this and much more are in it. Stats are a must in 4x games like this I assume it's in the base code just not GUI yet.

Leafcutter
x4

Congrats!

Post by Leafcutter » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 12:13

Congratulations from me with the news and features of your new game X4.

Good luck with the development.

-LC-
Always expect the unexpected, and you will never be surprised.

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 14:08

Impressive Egosoft! This got me really excited about X4. Seems like it will combine best aspects of X3 and XR, just like I wanted.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

aquatica
x4

Post by aquatica » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 14:37

@CommanderTM

Curious. This is fun, since someone posts about an idea or something that would be nice and I find to incline.
Yes, money status should really truly be visible whenever doing... well, anything but simply flying.

Open a map screen to find the nearest shipyard (how much money I have?!)
Open properties to assess what I have (how much money I have?!)
Do just about anything, the question is (how much money I have?!) - almost always.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: One small but important thing i did not see in presentation

Post by linolafett » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 16:07

CommanderTM wrote:Very small but very important visual information for me is - my current account balance, my total worth, my credits tied to trades.

I want this visible at all times when i do anything that may relate to trades or empire building.
Player balance is planned to be displayed in the map (upper left handside).
While doing trades (which is done via the map) you will always see how much credits you have to play with.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Return to “X4: Foundations”