[X3TC] Plasma Beam Cannon

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

g04tn4d0
x4

[X3TC] Plasma Beam Cannon

Post by g04tn4d0 » Fri, 9. Oct 09, 17:32

I noticed there are two starboard and port mount points for PBCs on my Argon Mammoth. I thought PBCs were a laser tower weapon. Is it possible, without the use of cheats, to get ahold of some PBCs in X3TC? Thanks! :D

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 9. Oct 09, 17:41

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Fri, 9. Oct 09, 17:42

There are some ships which can equip them, yes, but none available for sale. I think there was an explanation of that in the manual. I can't remember if there is a technical reason behind this, the same as the repair laser turrets. May well be a balancing reason TBH.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Fri, 9. Oct 09, 18:50

From my (not exactly vast) knowledge of the types files I'd say that there shouldn't be any technical reason for the Mammoth to be able to use the PBC. It seems more likely to me that the beam weapons were originally meant to be included but Ego abandoned them for some reason (good thing too, because I heartily dislike beams :D ). The fact that the Mammoth can use them is just leftover, like the ability to get PALCs (which I don't think was intended either).

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Fri, 9. Oct 09, 20:11

Am I going senile, or aren't there some floating around? I thought I saw some during
Spoiler
Show
one of the early OFF missions floating near a black box in Khaak space
Please let me know if Im going senile. I'll run for Supreme Court Justice then.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 9. Oct 09, 20:14

Those were the elusive PALC of which the most you can legally get in vanilla is two - and then you must be lucky. Didn't you collect them?

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Fri, 9. Oct 09, 20:19

Too busy getting shot at I believe ;)

Next time I'm going to use squash mines and a turbo booster to snag them. Just for bragging rights.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 9. Oct 09, 20:29

If in the same game, they may well still be there you know!

Burzumoza

Post by Burzumoza » Sat, 10. Oct 09, 12:04

u have 1 shot to get them in the game (vanilla)

during FF ur orderd to protect the station in khaak sector 9 something, and there wil be 2-3 crates with a unkown object tag. go pick them up, check what u got, most likley u wil get some hepts or pacs or shit, just reload til u get what u realy want :P
ship? what ship? i see no ship? WHO SPAWNED THAT DESTROYER!!!!!

1muvwndr
xr

Post by 1muvwndr » Sat, 10. Oct 09, 12:25

Burzumoza wrote:u have 1 shot to get them in the game (vanilla)

during FF ur orderd to protect the station in khaak sector 9 something, and there wil be 2-3 crates with a unkown object tag. go pick them up, check what u got, most likley u wil get some hepts or pacs or shit, just reload til u get what u realy want :P
If you get to get PALC it will be in one crate that will be named - PALC. AFAIK there are no crates with the unknown object tag in TC.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 10. Oct 09, 14:03

And unless somebody shot it or an NPC rammed it, the crate stays there until it is picked up even after the plot has finished - but you are then stuck with whatever first spawned in it.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 10. Oct 09, 15:12

imperium3 wrote:From my (not exactly vast) knowledge of the types files I'd say that there shouldn't be any technical reason for the Mammoth to be able to use the PBC. It seems more likely to me that the beam weapons were originally meant to be included but Ego abandoned them for some reason (good thing too, because I heartily dislike beams :D ). The fact that the Mammoth can use them is just leftover, like the ability to get PALCs (which I don't think was intended either).
PBCs are the Laser Tower weapon and can only be found mounted/built-in to them.

The manual does not say that the new beam weapons were abandonned but rather that they are experimental weapons. This includes the Tri-Beam Cannon (TBC - Paranid), Phased Array Laser Cannon (PALC - Split), Fusion Beam Cannon (FBC - Terran), and Plasma Beam Cannon (PBC - Argon).
Spoiler
Show
The PALCs are the only one of these beam weapons that is possible to acquire in vanilla X3:TC (OFF - one of the Kha'ak sectors) but there have been rumours that you can find PBCs in the Terran plot though this is not confirmed.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Burzumoza

Post by Burzumoza » Sun, 11. Oct 09, 11:39

i would love to know whats stadning inside the spoiler :P how u turn it off?

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Sun, 11. Oct 09, 11:59

Highlight it.

All it does is make the text the same colour as the background.

Burzumoza

Post by Burzumoza » Mon, 12. Oct 09, 11:25

lol ty dident think so far :P

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”