[SCR] Super Tractor (v1.07 - 24.12.08)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Gazz
x4

[SCR] Super Tractor (v1.07 - 24.12.08)

Post by Gazz » Wed, 24. Dec 08, 23:40

English / Deutsch

A Tractor Beam replacement where the cargo does not move like the tail of a rabid mad cow.
  • Required equipment:
    Tractor Beam (who would have guessed?)
  • The target is always the current target of your ship.
    You can however order another ship to tow this target.
  • Every object you can target from your ship can be towed.
    Catch an UFO, create a zoo of space flies...
    Don't like the position of the Goner Temple? Change it...
  • A Jumpdrive can be used when towing ships or asteroids. Yes, the cargo will jump with your ship.

Every sector costs Energy Cells, even if you used a jump gate. (not recommended with a 4km asteroid in tow)
    If your tow ship does not have enough EC a log book message will tell you how much it would have needed.

The smaller your tug is compared to the cargo, the higher the cost in EC.
  • Any ship with laser or turret capability and a tractor beam on board qualifies.
    I never saw the reasoning behind only letting military ships tow stuff.
    Your car breaks down. Do you call a tow truck or a battle tank?
  • Firing any laser disengages the Tractor Beam.
  • Executing the menu command again disengages the Tractor Beam.
  • If the tow ship is in the same sector as the towee it will fly to this target and leash it. That is all the navigation this script will do.
  • After the cargo is on the hook you may issue any nav command you want.
  • The alignment of the cargo is exactly the same as the tow ship. You can move and rotate a station as accurately as you can move or rotate a ship.
  • The freight is towed with 1km distance to the ship.
  • The tow ship is completely safe from the cargo. The rest of the sector is not.
Scripts for the complex builder: ComplexCleaner, Super Tractor, Factory Complex Constructor

To tow something:
Target the object from your ship.
Order your own or another ship to tow. (Special Menu)

[ external image ]Download: ZIP

Resources used:
COMMAND_TYPE_SPECIAL_34
T-File / PageID 7033
Task IDs (ships) 7033
Last edited by Gazz on Wed, 24. Dec 08, 23:55, edited 3 times in total.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 24. Dec 08, 23:41

** reserved **

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Wed, 24. Dec 08, 23:44

Great, I thought about this yesterday and hoped for a TC version soon. Thanks! :)

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 24. Dec 08, 23:50

Well, then merry christmas. =P
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Kadatherion
x4

Re: [SCR] Super Tractor (v1.07 - 24.12.08)

Post by Kadatherion » Thu, 25. Dec 08, 00:04

Gazz wrote:
  • The tow ship is completely safe from the cargo. The rest of the sector is not.
Hmmmmmm...
<looks at a big asteroid...>
Ahem...
<looks at the Goner Temple...>
Now they'll learn how much i was grateful for that crappy unfocused jumpdrive! :twisted:

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 25. Dec 08, 01:00

Hehe.
My first action was to tow the IBL/PBG forges off the main traffic lanes where the military recons would be unlikely to find em. =)

Krewzur
x4

Post by Krewzur » Sat, 27. Dec 08, 16:41

So....... what happen when the tow ships docks somewhere?? Does the towee disconnect, or does something magical happen.
Corsair 400c // Intel i7 8700k // H100i v2 // ASUS Maximus X Code // ASUS 1080ti Strix OC // 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz // Samsung 960 Evo 250GB // 960GB SanDisk Ultra II // Corsair RM850i

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 27. Dec 08, 17:39

If the towing ship docks, the towee is boarded by pink gremlins who then proceed to paint a big red bullseye on the hull.
When they are done a pentagram shaped pattern of xenon lasertowers spawns and reduces the towee to rubble.
Then a soft and wet pattern of squash mines spawns and destroys the rubble.
When all this has been completed, a construction crew of green gremlins builds a ship that is identical to the previous towee and places it at the same coordinates.

I omitted a few minor steps but basically that's it.

Creston
x3tc

Post by Creston » Sun, 4. Jan 09, 02:34

Awesome stuff, thanks Gazz :)

Creston

lips of a moose
x3tc

Post by lips of a moose » Mon, 5. Jan 09, 11:45

Gazz wrote:If the towing ship docks, the towee is boarded by pink gremlins who then proceed to paint a big red bullseye on the hull.
When they are done a pentagram shaped pattern of xenon lasertowers spawns and reduces the towee to rubble.
Then a soft and wet pattern of squash mines spawns and destroys the rubble.
When all this has been completed, a construction crew of green gremlins builds a ship that is identical to the previous towee and places it at the same coordinates.

I omitted a few minor steps but basically that's it.
My green gremlins failed to show up so i'm left with a pile of rubble, did i do something wrong ?

Other than that, this is yet another great script Gazz, many thanks.

Ikaruga
x4

Post by Ikaruga » Mon, 5. Jan 09, 17:02

Is it possible to tow a complex or an enemy ship with that ?

If yes, then I love it :D
If brute force doesn't solve your problems, then you aren't using enough

TemplarThano

Post by TemplarThano » Sun, 15. Feb 09, 13:27

Edit : X3:R version is Here
Last edited by TemplarThano on Tue, 3. Mar 09, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Sat, 28. Feb 09, 01:48

I tried using this script, I have a tractor beam on board, and the command shows up in the menu, but regardless of what I target, when I run the command, I get a verbal notification of 'malfunction'. Is something wrong? does anyone else get this problem?

Skott
x2

Post by Skott » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 21:38

The tractor beam should be present in the cargo bay, not installed...

All in all, I actually like the stock tractor beam better. It has the benefit of a sort of clumsy majesty. But there are times when you just feel the need to slam a gigantic asteroid into an unwitting station, you know? And the stock tractor beam has the unfortunate indignity of not being able to tow anything you don't own. Silly, silly, silly. It should at least be able to snag asteroids.

Cdaragorn
x4

Post by Cdaragorn » Mon, 9. Mar 09, 21:37

Skott wrote:The tractor beam should be present in the cargo bay, not installed...
Actually, it doesn't matter whether the tractor beam is installed or not, I've tried it both ways and it works just fine. Make sure that you do not fire any weapons while towing or you'll lose the object you're towing, tho.

aXeL_UK
x3tc

Unable to use Super Tractor Baem.

Post by aXeL_UK » Tue, 17. Mar 09, 21:51

Hi Gazz,

I gave this ago on my patched 1.4 version and it behaves like the regular tractor in my cerberus. I'm not able to jump with objects in tow, pick up anything I've locked onto (unless I own it), drive through gates and my mines are still flapping around when towed at speed. I've checked the scripts and they're loaded ok and not being superceded by anything else.

I do get the Super Tractor option in the menu but selecting this/not selecting it doesn't change the behaviour from that of a normal tractor.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 18. Mar 09, 08:05

No.

There is only 1 command and it doesn't even have arguments (other than the kinda obvious target) so I can't imagine using it wrong.
Well, except not using the script at all and towing with the regular TB.

zymurg
x3tc

Post by zymurg » Wed, 18. Mar 09, 18:19

I just HAD to thank you Gazz for that script. I is far and above the TB in the Game. I had never used a script before so it took me awhile to figure out how to install it and get it working without instructions, but it is really great.

Thanks again for a great script!

aXeL_UK
x3tc

Post by aXeL_UK » Wed, 18. Mar 09, 23:53

Does it matter that I bought the TB and then installed and ran the script?

The script doesn't make it clear if the script fires the tractor beam, selects it or activates/deactivates it. There's no feedback so if it isn't working then it obviously is kinda possible to use it wrong ;)

I've tried executing the command repeatedly and it just doesn't do anything other than the ship kicks to the side and complains of a 'malfunction', even though I'm inside 1km etc...

zymurg, What did you have to do to get this to work? What ship are you using it with. What were you towing and where. Any comparative tests I can duplicate from your testing?

zymurg
x3tc

Post by zymurg » Thu, 19. Mar 09, 01:32

zymurg, What did you have to do to get this to work? What ship are you using it with. What were you towing and where. Any comparative tests I can duplicate from your testing?
This was the first time I ever installed and used a Script so I had to play around abit to figure it out.

I am using a Centaur which is allowed to use the TB even without the script, although I don't think that has anything to do with it.

The thing to note, at lease on my computer which does not have the resolution set to the highest level, is that I cannot see the TB when using the script. The regular TB has a red or green light, this has none, so you just have to notice that the station is actually moving (in my case).
I moved a silicon mine (with station installed on it) for about 85km traveling at the max speed of the Centaur (about 123m/s)

The selection in the menu of the ship was under "Autopilot/Command Console/(4)Special/Super Tractor Beam

I had to have the object selected as the target and then it was automatically hooked to the TB.
Really Cool.
I forget the exact distance I was from the target, but not nearly as close as it was with the old TB.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”