[SCR] BIER Scanner (v1.15 - 09.05.08)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Gazz
x4

[SCR] BIER Scanner (v1.15 - 09.05.08)

Post by Gazz » Thu, 1. May 08, 13:00

(Das entsprechende deutsche topic ist hier.)

Boardcomputer-Integrated External RADAR
  • Requires X3 v2.5
  • Required equipment:
    Triplex Scanner
    Duplex Scanner
  • Installation:
    2 Microchips
    2 Computer Components
    Credits

On a small ship the installation costs 300.000 Cr, on a medium 1.000.000 Cr, and on a capital ship 5.000.000 Cr.

Installation takes 30 min. During that time the ship is not maneuverable.
  • During a fight the boardcomputer switches to the faster Gravidar and BIER is disabled.
    When the last "attacker" of the ship has moved beyond a 6500 m range, BIER takes up operation again.
What the script does:

BIER is an old fashioned RADAR.
The results are not nearly as accurate as a Gravidar but the range can be far greater.
All it will tell you is that there is something out there and an estimated size of the contact.
[ external image ]

Also: SQUASH-Mines are scanned automatically.
Surroundscan: 6 km
Targetscan: 8,5 km

BIER has 2 Modi:
  • Surroundscan: 360°
  • Targetscan: Detects objects in a cone in front of the ship at a 40 % higher range.
    small ships 50° cone
    medium 60°
    capital 70°

BIER - Ranges for Surround / Targetscan
    40 / 56 km : all ships (Triplex Scanner = 30 km)
    54 / 76 km : M6/7
    60 / 84 km : TL
    70 / 98 km : M2
    80 / 112 km : M1
Usage
  • 1. BIER Installation (on a ship) + BIER-Mode change
    Menu Button ("Special" Menu)
    Alternatively: Hotkey. (Playership only)
    . . . . . . While installation is possible on your own ship, it will take a while. =)

If the ship does not have BIER, yet, the button is labeled "Install", if it does it's labeled "Change Mode".
  • 2. Ship tags on / off (global setting)
    Adds tags for Surround (o), Targetscan (i), and malfunction (-).

Hotkey 1x : Tags on / off permanently
    Hotkey 2x (in 2 sec): show tags for the next 90 sec.

Attention: the same menu button is also used for the Ring of Fire script.
    - If Lasertowers are on board, the button defaults to the RoF script.
    - If not it controls BIER.
    Fighting ships usually don't carry LT so the chance for a collision should be slim.
    Obviously, this only matters if both scripts are installed.

[ external image ] (ZIP, SPK)

Tech Stuff:
If anyone would like to use the BIER Contacts in a script:
They are disarmed SQUASH Mines (neutral race), that have an Ecliptic Projector installed.
Loval Var "GZ.CONTACT.SIZE" contains the size, int 1 - 9.

Uninstall: In the script editor, run plugin.gz.bier.uninstall

Resources used:
Unitrader's lib.ut.pos.from.2.grades.and.rad.xml
COMMAND_TYPE_SPECIAL_31 (no collision with RoF)
T-File / PageID 7037 + 7038
Task IDs (ships) 7037
Last edited by Gazz on Fri, 9. May 08, 16:49, edited 9 times in total.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 1. May 08, 13:44

Version history:
1.00 Official release =)
1.05 Script detects if the user overwrites a library with an old version.
1.11 Much better method to suspend script during fights.
1.14 Uninstall script added
1.15 Docked ships don't scan any more.
Last edited by Gazz on Fri, 9. May 08, 16:49, edited 4 times in total.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Locksley
x3tc

Post by Locksley » Thu, 1. May 08, 14:19

Ooooh, I like bier :wink:

So the scripts only runs when you execute the command or does it always chug along in the background?

Nicely done - read the post about detecting things in a cone a couple of days ago.

Cheers!

Magius
x3tc

Re: [SCR] BIER Scanner (v1.00 - 01.05.08)

Post by Magius » Thu, 1. May 08, 14:36

Gazz wrote: * Installation takes 30 min. During that time the ship is not maneuverable.
That is really long time......
if I may ask...
WHY :?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 1. May 08, 14:39

Locksley wrote:So the scripts only runs when you execute the command or does it always chug along in the background?
It's always active once installed.

The only exception is when the ship turns fast. Aside from the technobabble description this has a rather practical background.
When turning a lot (fighting) you don't really need any long range scanning done and since this script requires a lot of calculations and loops you wouldn't want it running in a firefight.

I could also limit it to only run when laser energy is full. Extremely simple check...
I just didn't find any logical sounding technobabble reason why it should do that. =P

Magius wrote:That is really long time......
if I may ask... WHY :?
1. because I said so.
2. How long does it take you to install a RADAR system on a spaceship?

Version 1.01 released.
Small change to the Autopilot Workaround.
(A normal X3 ship can not just "follow" such a contact marker even though it's technically a ship.)

DrunkenPirate
x3ap

Post by DrunkenPirate » Thu, 1. May 08, 16:32

30 minutes to install and not being able to move the ship during that time seems an exorbitantly long time.
I admire you attempt at realism, but being a game developer myself (Click the "Point of Existence" link in my sig) let me bring you in on one of our golden rules. Gameplay > Realism.
If the rest of the game was geared this way then it would be acceptable although with a reduced time, but when you can equip 20 PPC's in a few secs it makes no sense to have the installation of an old echo sounder take a half hour.

Guardian004

Post by Guardian004 » Thu, 1. May 08, 22:52

I seriously don't mind the wait of 30 minutes, I can go tend to other matters. I have not downloaded this yet....but if I'm required to stay IN my ship for 30 minutes then one could get seriously "pissed off". If your installing this into one ship and leaving it for 30 minutes (Time doesn't go as fast in X3 as do other games so I'm not concerned)

Perhaps a time limit still could be implied, but limited to...5-10 minutes? The time limit doesn't bother me, but people like to use this as quickly as possible.

This is a good script though, I'll download later on this week.

THE_BIG_FISH:Leo
x4

Post by THE_BIG_FISH:Leo » Fri, 2. May 08, 02:00

i for one do mind having to wait that long, when i might only have the free time to play for about 1 or 2 hours 30 mins is a pretty long time to do nothing :cry:

radarhazard
x3tc

Post by radarhazard » Fri, 2. May 08, 06:25

Damn...thought I was going to get beer out of my computer!. :?
Actually, there are some occassions when this could be very useful. I'm thinking of those "I was running away from pirates and saw a ship...here are the co-ordinates" missions. Does this B.I.E.R help in them?
Here's to us!
Who's like us?
There's none like us,
And they're all dead.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 2. May 08, 09:40

radarhazard wrote:Damn...thought I was going to get beer out of my computer!. :?
I think that would require a mod.
Actually, there are some occassions when this could be very useful. I'm thinking of those "I was running away from pirates and saw a ship...here are the co-ordinates" missions. Does this B.I.E.R help in them?
If there is a ship within RADAR range - any ship - then it will show up as an unknown contact.

Freight containers do not show. I tried that but the display ended up too cluttered and effectively useless...

Guardian004 wrote:I seriously don't mind the wait of 30 minutes, I can go tend to other matters. I have not downloaded this yet....but if I'm required to stay IN my ship for 30 minutes then one could get seriously "pissed off". If your installing this into one ship and leaving it for 30 minutes (Time doesn't go as fast in X3 as do other games so I'm not concerned)
You can start this command for any ship, not just your own.
And if you insist on doing it on your personal ship well, that's a whopping 3 minutes on SETA. *shrug* Just enough time to go get another bottle of refreshing beverage.

In X3, 30 min are nothing. Games run for days and weeks...
Besides, if anyone can't live with that - go ahead and change it. I never make any attempt to protect or encrypt such things...

moot
x3tc

Post by moot » Fri, 2. May 08, 10:12

BIER GOGGLES! Sorry but this was just begging for the joke.

I probably won't be using this script cos I'm not sure what use I have for a long-range scanner. But I can certainly visualise a Macross-style reflex cannon, esp given that 30 min wait. ;)
Gazz wrote:In X3, 30 min are nothing. Games run for days and weeks... Besides, if anyone can't live with that - go ahead and change it. I never make any attempt to protect or encrypt such things...
I'm not sure if this view is fair. After all you did create this script for gamers, not modders. BTW given my attention span, my average X3 gaming session is 30 min.

bob hope
x3

Post by bob hope » Fri, 2. May 08, 11:29

as he said, just use max seta for 3 mins
About the name - i was lost for a name on the forum and looking round, then a Bob Hope film came on, and i thought "that will do nicely"

i was born and raised argumentative i dont mean to offend ...... sorry

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 2. May 08, 14:08

moot wrote:BIER GOGGLES! Sorry but this was just begging for the joke.
If you come up with a useful feature that only works with Video Enhancement Goggles installed... I can probably include it.

Version 1.11 released.

Script detects if the user overwrites a library with an old version.

Much better method to suspend script during fights.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Fri, 9. May 08, 04:15

Does this script see XTM m7s as m1s?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 9. May 08, 07:41

It does not show ship classes.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Fri, 9. May 08, 09:38

No, I mean... will xtm m7s have m1 radar range?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 9. May 08, 14:13

Sandalpocalypse wrote:No, I mean... will xtm m7s have m1 radar range?
Of course not. They are tiny ships in comparison.
The Hyperion was merely a terrible design decision by ES. For a ship of that size it's ridiculously overpowered.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Fri, 9. May 08, 15:32

The XTM m7s are mini-carriers and ingame are classed as m1s, as are a lot of the other light XTM capitals. I'll assume they get the extended radar range of a m1.
Last edited by Sandalpocalypse on Fri, 9. May 08, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

Locksley
x3tc

Post by Locksley » Fri, 9. May 08, 15:42

Gazz wrote:
Sandalpocalypse wrote:No, I mean... will xtm m7s have m1 radar range?
Of course not. They are tiny ships in comparison.
The Hyperion was merely a terrible design decision by ES. For a ship of that size it's ridiculously overpowered.
XTM might have nerfed it - they did to the Split Elephant, no B-PPC on the rear turret.

When I've docked my M3 in my TL I still get radar signatures on my map. This is even though my M3 haven't been out in that sector. I will recheck when I get some game time.

And for me 30min install is a great immersing touch, it took about 5min I believe since I was out trading and using SETA to move about.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 9. May 08, 16:24

Locksley wrote:When I've docked my M3 in my TL I still get radar signatures on my map. This is even though my M3 haven't been out in that sector. I will recheck when I get some game time.
Woops. That is perfectly possible.
I can't remember adding a check for the ship being docked. =)

And for me 30min install is a great immersing touch, it took about 5min I believe since I was out trading and using SETA to move about.
I never thought the time would be any kind of issue. 3 min on SETA? Oh cry me a river.
Mostly I wanted this not to be some generic tradable ware. It's pretty ridiculous how easily you can transfer ship systems like a jumpdrive from ship to ship.
Fight command software or the likes - no problemo. That can be just some chip you plug in. But a long range RADAR system?
That's the advantage of being a power trippin' script author. I did it myyyyyyy waaaaaay!
Arrr!

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”