X3 map v1.2 by Scorp (v1.2.3.9) Terran Conflict Edition !

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

I prefer ...

default map-color-scheme
66%
alternative map-color-scheme
34%

Total votes: 607

ScorpBY

X3 map v1.2 by Scorp (v1.2.3.9) Terran Conflict Edition !

Post by ScorpBY » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 01:04

Hi all.
I am Scorp and I am presenting you my map-program for X3.

The latest versions of the program 1.2.3.8 and 1.2.3.9 (Terran Conflict Edition) are available at my official site www.suu-design.com

[ external image ]

The size of the program is ~1 mb.

[ external image ]

Main-window screenshot just after starting (135 kb)
Watch
«Argon Prime» info-window with search and sector-map window open (120 kb)
Watch
The results of searching for a "Hermes" ship (100 kb)
Watch

The program shows you an actual X3 sector-map, with detailed information about most in-game objects. The map is based on a log-file that is created with an in-game script (by Andrei[<>Ace]). If you just want to view the standard map (or if you don’t have the game) the program will work with the included default map, which was created with an English X3 (v2.0.02) game installation.

Different X3-mods are supported (XTM, XFP, Roguey, Vanilla and others).

---------------------------------------------------------------
Hint
An illustrated full instruction manual is included.
It is user-friendly and you can find there answers for most of your questions.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Happy New Year !
Last edited by ScorpBY on Thu, 18. Feb 10, 13:49, edited 98 times in total.

Sirus5
x4

Map

Post by Sirus5 » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 01:23

Hi Scorp,

Pretty good....
I am not a Dev, but I have around 30 years programming expertise....

I do have a few suggestions....

1. Make the map so you cannot scroll the sectors waaaaay off the screen... in other words, when you get Kingdom End at the very left of the screen, you should not be able to scroll any further - same for all the other scroll directions.

2. A right click menu MAY be better than a double click... I think it will be, others may not... Let's see with that one.

I wrote an addon for Lord-Such's Sector Planner (it was called sector viewer) which you may want to take the code for (it's written in C#) then you could have a look at a sector viewer - mine was pretty basic...

One other thing, it would be good to include a read-me before install to warn people that the default install with the script will put the modified icon on their game - not many people like the icon - and I don't although it's silly really..

If you could submit the script to Egosoft for signing when you have it tested by a few more people, it could be really good..

I would suggest if you can get some of the Mods to have a look like CBJ, PJKnibbs, Moggy2 and a few others (they are very good) along with some of the long-time members and people who do their own X3 Web sites (Roguey springs to mind)... It would be useful...

I am quite impressed and like the dynamic possibilities with the scripting.

What language is it written in?

Thanks

Sirus

ScorpBY

Post by ScorpBY » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 01:56

Hi, Sirus5.

About suggestions.
1. Didn`t want to set any borders to my map. This is the feature - no limits. And believe me - u wont be lost :).
2. Maybe you are right, but i want to walk this way.

About your addon - its realy interesting, but nowadays i have no enough time to examine any other code. Just found some time to release this map. Anyway, i`m going to see the addon if u`ll give me the link in private.

About ** modified ** - i inserted this string into the script name and decided it will be enough for setup.

Submitting the script to Egosoft - i have the same idea, but i dont know what to do and again - dont have enought time. If anybody will do it instead of me - it will be really good.

The program is written in C++.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 03:41

Very nice presentation of the info :)

It's not as fully functional as the Sector Planner, but I do like the search functions.

Great work!
best map I've seen - it's easy on the eyes, and easy to use.

Javelin06
x3

Post by Javelin06 » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 06:20

Great looking map. Having trouble finding the script ( for the dynamic map) described in the readme though. Anywhere else I can find it?

ScorpBY

Post by ScorpBY » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 09:56

Dave Toome
Tnx :)

Javelin06
The script comes with the program installation. Look «X3-map script» - the second checkbox during setup.

Sirus5
x4

Post by Sirus5 » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 10:08

Dave Toome wrote:Very nice presentation of the info :)

It's not as fully functional as the Sector Planner, but I do like the search functions.

Great work!
best map I've seen - it's easy on the eyes, and easy to use.
Dave,

It might not be as functional as the Sector Planner.... BUT, Sector Planner will not work well with X3 and the God engine as it relies on the Datafiles from X3 and thus anything which is destroyed or rebuilt will not be shown on Sector Planner...

LordSuch's work was excellent when it was released and gave many people something they could use effectively, however, as the X-Series has evolved and become dynamic, it cannot be used effectively... LordSuch seems to have family and career issues which now have to come first and cannot continue his development.

Scorp's Map is excellent on the eyes and does have some really good points... It would be really good to be able to bring up a popup view of the sector and have the script signed by Egosoft...

I have offered the code I did for Lord Such which provided a Sector Viewer, but like myself, Scorp doesn't have more time for development...

I can see that there are some excellent pieces of code out there and it would be good if someone could be found who was willing to collect the source code and make it available such that if we found someone willing to continue development, then it could be done.

I too am currently constrained by work and family (3 children) and haven't even had the chance to fly X3 since July!! However, I can offer my source code and the occasional bit of time to review things and brainstorm ideas...

Cheers

Sirus

Sirus5
x4

Post by Sirus5 » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 16:54

ScorpBY wrote:Hi, Sirus5.

About suggestions.
1. Didn`t want to set any borders to my map. This is the feature - no limits. And believe me - u wont be lost :).
2. Maybe you are right, but i want to walk this way.

About your addon - its realy interesting, but nowadays i have no enough time to examine any other code. Just found some time to release this map. Anyway, i`m going to see the addon if u`ll give me the link in private.

About ** modified ** - i inserted this string into the script name and decided it will be enough for setup.

Submitting the script to Egosoft - i have the same idea, but i dont know what to do and again - dont have enought time. If anybody will do it instead of me - it will be really good.

The program is written in C++.

Hi again Scorp,

Here's the link to Sector planner....

http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=44238

If you right click, you can bring up Sector Viewer for that sector - that part is what I wrote...
It's not terrinly good, but it did the job almost like X2...

It could do with someone who has some time and knows C# to make one for your Map, then with a signed script, it will be just "The Dogs"...

I can provide my source code to anyone who needs it.

Mind_Mage

Post by Mind_Mage » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 17:04

When trying to load the log file from my save, i get a error: " is not a valid integer value.

What could be the problem? Something with my savegame? My game version (2.0.0.2 + latest bonus pack)? Or maybe the fact that i'm using Windows Vista?

ScorpBY

Post by ScorpBY » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 18:35

Mind_Mage
Check you private messages.

Sirus5
I`m dowloading the planner now, but honestly i dont have any plans of giving the source code to somebody.

All
I`ve updated the top post.
If you have missed registry entries, the map-installator can`t find your X3 folder to setup the script.
Just edit the right path to your X3 folder in this reg-file, run it and submit the changes to fix the problem.

spoidz
x3tc

Post by spoidz » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 20:14

First, thanks for all the work. The tool is excellent for the portions I will probably continue to use.

However, as it currently is written, I will probably only use it stand-alone, meaning not using the ship search at all and the universe generator only when I want to update the map and definitely not saving the game.

The reason is what it does to the player log. At least what it did when I tried it.

I figured out the X3.exe pointers before you made the reg patch, and I installed the script files manually. I then ran the generate log-file in game. It started sending status messages on percent complete, which I didn't mind, and I executed OK on them as they came. But when I then checked my log, it has tons of incomplete messages with either ??? or nonsensical words in them. I also ran it again and didn't ack the mesages at all until I received the final complete message, same result. There must be over 25 entries in the log after running the script.

http://home.satx.rr.com/gamespoidz/FILE ... %20013.jpg
http://home.satx.rr.com/gamespoidz/FILE ... %20012.jpg
http://home.satx.rr.com/gamespoidz/FILE ... %20011.jpg
http://home.satx.rr.com/gamespoidz/FILE ... %20010.jpg
http://home.satx.rr.com/gamespoidz/FILE ... %20004.jpg
http://home.satx.rr.com/gamespoidz/FILE ... %20002.jpg
http://home.satx.rr.com/gamespoidz/FILE ... %20001.jpg
http://home.satx.rr.com/gamespoidz/FILE ... %20003.jpg

Also when I tried the Find Ship script, it also leaves all those screen prompts in the log file. If you are not very specific in your search, the script will simply dump the entire universe if you let it, again flooding the pilot log.

http://home.satx.rr.com/gamespoidz/FILE ... %20001.jpg
http://home.satx.rr.com/gamespoidz/FILE ... %20002.jpg
http://home.satx.rr.com/gamespoidz/FILE ... %20003.jpg
http://home.satx.rr.com/gamespoidz/FILE ... %20004.jpg
http://home.satx.rr.com/gamespoidz/FILE ... %20005.jpg
http://home.satx.rr.com/gamespoidz/FILE ... %20006.jpg

I rely on my log file for key information as well as using it to make manual entries on my plot points and my last info. If the tool is going to bury the log file everytime the script is used, it hurts me more than it helps.

I don't know if this was how it was written or a glitch in my game?

Other than that I would consider using it, but it might not bother others who don't use the pilot log like I do.

It just has a quirk that won't work for me.

Thanks again

ScorpBY

Post by ScorpBY » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 22:12

spoidz

1) "Find ships" is the bonus script. It has no any other relation to the program. The script was written by Andrei[<>Ace], not by me. I`ve asked Andrei[<>Ace] the same question - why so many log entries ? He said that he don`t know how to show something on the screen without logging it. I`ll contact him soon and describe the situation.
BTW, spoidz, does this script work ? Have you got any ship coordinates you wanted to find ?

2) The main script shows 6 messages on the screen (% of completion) and i think 3 messages will be enough - start, 50%, and finish. I`ll ask Andrei[<>Ace] about it also.

Sirus5
x4

Post by Sirus5 » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 22:40

ScorpBY wrote:Sirus5
I`m dowloading the planner now, but honestly i dont have any plans of giving the source code to somebody.
I am quite willing to give my source code out if you want it.. it's no secret.. I would be really pleased if womeone could take it and do something with it rather than waste it... I don't have the time to develop it further and LordSuch I don't think will develop any further so it will be just something not used (unless someone can find a use for the basics in your or another application).. The concept could and should be used and if you think the concept is worthwhile, you may have it.

If you need any help, I can make myself available to you to assist you in any way you choose (although I am C# and have not used C++ for 10 years!).

I am at your disposal if you need me.. (although I suspect you are better than I am - I am mainly a Developer who works for Banks and financial institutions).
Just send me a message and I will see what I can do to help.

Cheers

Sirus

Sirus

jagji56
x3tc

Post by jagji56 » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 23:21

Ok, is this map to be used in or out of the game? I got the filing that it is suppose to be a script for X3, but I didn't see any thing that said it?

Sirus5
x4

Map

Post by Sirus5 » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 23:32

It is to be used OUT of the game...
However, it can use a script in the game to modify the map to keep track of any stations which are built or destroyed by you or the "God" engine..

spoidz
x3tc

Post by spoidz » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 23:57

ScorpBY.

1)Thanks, understand on the find ships not being part of the map. As far as it working, sorry, I hadn't tried to find a specific ship other than seeing what the pilot log would look like after use. The prompts are not completely intuitive, in that they led "me at least" to simply follow the prompts until I saw what I wanted to find. Also I may have pressed the wrong prompt because they are not lined up completely with the text. I thought I was asking for Khaark M2's and instead it gave me every M2 in the game. (some of the buttons make it look like they go to the opposite text)

2) The completion messages weren't that bad, but it also left all those others as well. If the script can't run without logging all its internal workings to the pilot log then yes, it will be annoying, and for me at least not desirable.

As far as using the map outside the game with my log file, that was fine. If there was one thing that might be nice though, I just got a new wide screen LCD and only two zooms levels leaves me with either too small text or having to scroll. What resolution did you write it for? Although I hate to give up my 1680x1050 native! If you could dynamically zoom it as you used it that would really be nice.

Javelin06
x3

Post by Javelin06 » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 02:34

OK I think I have screwed up the Regfile I am supposed to edit, because it still cant find the directory. can someone show me what its supposed to look like.

ScorpBY

Post by ScorpBY » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 13:33

Javelin06 wrote:OK I think I have screwed up the Regfile I am supposed to edit, because it still cant find the directory. can someone show me what its supposed to look like.
For example, if your X3-game is situated in D:\Gamezzz\Copy\X3 Reunion
you must edit the string
"INSTALL_DIR"="D:\\Gamezzz\\Copy\\X3 Reunion"
attention: double slashes
Last edited by ScorpBY on Tue, 2. Jan 07, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

Javelin06
x3

Post by Javelin06 » Tue, 2. Jan 07, 00:01

Cool, I got it. Thanks your for the help. Its great program. Keep up the good work.

ScorpBY

Post by ScorpBY » Tue, 2. Jan 07, 10:25

spoidz wrote:Although I hate to give up my 1680x1050 native! If you could dynamically zoom it as you used it that would really be nice.
I`ll think about it.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”