[Script] SatelliteDeploy v1.12 (18/01/2006)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

X-it
x3

Post by X-it » Wed, 4. Jan 06, 17:23

Trevelvis wrote:You have to remember to set Pirates to enemy otherwise it gets blown up all the time going through Pirate sectors.
Ah, that's why my Discos keep going through pirate sectors. Thanks!

Bhruic
x3tc

Post by Bhruic » Wed, 4. Jan 06, 18:09

Yeah, currently it will only check the sector owner and station owner (when buying satellites) to determine the 'safety' of a sector. A friendly sector full of Khaak, Xenon and Pirates is still considered 'safe'. :)

Oddly, I didn't lose any ships to Pirates, however, in my test runs, and I had it place sats in all the Pirate sectors. Maybe I hadn't irritated them enough lately...?

Bh

CO. Dragon Corp

Post by CO. Dragon Corp » Wed, 4. Jan 06, 18:26

I agree, pirate sectors should be left out. But potentially friendly sectors with pirates in it should be considered as save.....that's the risk of every businessman :D .
Commanding Officer of the 'Dragon Corporation'
[ external image ]

Bhruic
x3tc

Post by Bhruic » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 07:22

Well, hopefully, if I can get things to that point, you can set it to not place satellites in Pirate space, but still travel through them, if you consider them 'safe' (personally, I do, for a fast M5).

---

Right now I've got all the script elements in place, I just can't figure out how to present the options to the player.

For example: You have to select if you want Navigational Relay Satellites or Advanced Satellites. You have to select if you want a single satellite per sector, or the 8-satellite 'square'. You have to select if you want a 'home' sector (or not). You have to select the number of jumps from the home sector it can travel. And you have to be able to add/remove races from the 'placement' list.

That's a lot of options to try and deal with. Obviously I can't have a menu option for every single choice, so I have to come up with some way for the end user to input that information. Which is where I'm stuck.

Anyone have any great ideas :?:

Bh

X-it
x3

Post by X-it » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 11:56

Bhruic wrote:Well, hopefully, if I can get things to that point, you can set it to not place satellites in Pirate space, but still travel through them, if you consider them 'safe' (personally, I do, for a fast M5).
The only M5 that can carry satellites is the Discoverer, which is quite fast indeed, but still vulnerable. I've lost two in Mi Ton's Refuge. I've set the pirates as foe for it now though, so hopefully it won't try to enter any pirate sectors. I'll take a trip myself into that sector and get rid of the pirates and place a sat myself when I have time... :)

Right now I've got all the script elements in place, I just can't figure out how to present the options to the player.

For example: You have to select if you want Navigational Relay Satellites or Advanced Satellites. You have to select if you want a single satellite per sector, or the 8-satellite 'square'. You have to select if you want a 'home' sector (or not). You have to select the number of jumps from the home sector it can travel. And you have to be able to add/remove races from the 'placement' list.

That's a lot of options to try and deal with. Obviously I can't have a menu option for every single choice, so I have to come up with some way for the end user to input that information. Which is where I'm stuck.

Anyone have any great ideas :?:

Bh
Personally I don't think all those options are needed, but how about:

- The 'home' sector is automatically set to the sector it is in when you give it the command. You could fly it there before issuing the command.

- Then select either adv sat or normal sat

- Then select placement type ( 1/8 )

- Then select max jumps (where 0 could mean no home sector specified)

Regarding adding removing races from the placement list, isn't this what the in-game friend/foe setting for the individual ship is for?

Bhruic
x3tc

Post by Bhruic » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 12:12

X-it wrote:The only M5 that can carry satellites is the Discoverer, which is quite fast indeed, but still vulnerable. I've lost two in Mi Ton's Refuge. I've set the pirates as foe for it now though, so hopefully it won't try to enter any pirate sectors. I'll take a trip myself into that sector and get rid of the pirates and place a sat myself when I have time... :)
Ah, I haven't explored there yet in the game I'm testing with, so haven't had any experience with the sector.
- The 'home' sector is automatically set to the sector it is in when you give it the command. You could fly it there before issuing the command.
Well, by default, I don't want it to have a home sector. I know I won't use that option. I've mainly added it because others seemed interested in having the ability to limit the satellite placement to a certain segment of sectors.

But you're right, I could just force a home sector selection, but not use it if jumps is set to 0.
Regarding adding removing races from the placement list, isn't this what the in-game friend/foe setting for the individual ship is for?
The friend/foe setting will not only prevent it from placing satellites in sectors owned by that race, it will prevent it from travelling through them at all. The 'races' list will not prevent travel through a sector owned by the race, it just won't try and place a satellite in their sectors.

Bh

X-it
x3

Post by X-it » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 13:10

Those 3 pirate sectors between Ceo's Doubt and Cardinal's Domain are heavily infested indeed, and pirates keep respawning all the time. The only safe way to get to the Split sectors south of there is to use the 'supergates'.
Bhruic wrote:The friend/foe setting will not only prevent it from placing satellites in sectors owned by that race, it will prevent it from travelling through them at all. The 'races' list will not prevent travel through a sector owned by the race, it just won't try and place a satellite in their sectors.
Ah I see. Well I'm not sure this is necessary to implement if it means lots of work. Any particular reason it should not drop satellites in any races' sectors?

Anyway thanks again for bringing us this great script! I think my deplyoment craft has placed adv sats in all sectors now, as it just sits idle when I give the command. Eagerly awaiting the 8 sat feature... :)

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 14:41

The only M5 that can carry satellites is the Discoverer
I am using a Boron Mako for satellite deploy as it quite fast and carrys more , I have only lost one but since I set pirates to enemy havent lost any.

Bhruic
x3tc

Post by Bhruic » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 14:44

X-it wrote:Those 3 pirate sectors between Ceo's Doubt and Cardinal's Domain are heavily infested indeed, and pirates keep respawning all the time. The only safe way to get to the Split sectors south of there is to use the 'supergates'.
Well, I'm going to try setting the deployer on 'explore=1', which will basically have it try and place sats in every friendly sector (ie, unexplored sectors as well), and I'll see how long it lives. :)
Ah I see. Well I'm not sure this is necessary to implement if it means lots of work. Any particular reason it should not drop satellites in any races' sectors?

Anyway thanks again for bringing us this great script! I think my deplyoment craft has placed adv sats in all sectors now, as it just sits idle when I give the command. Eagerly awaiting the 8 sat feature... :)
It was a requested feature - and I can see the point. Early on, satellites are fairly pricey, so if you just want to set up a system so you can use best buy/sell, you may not want to use the money hitting up every sector. I often restrict myself to the starting 'square' of Argon/Boron, for example.

---

Anyway, I'm almost done (other than the race thing, which isn't really 'hard', just going to take a bit more time). Right now I'm just finalizing the error reporting system. I want to avoid hitting the player up with lots of messages, if I can help it, so I'm not sure exactly what I'll end up with (for example, once it's done deploying, I don't want it sending "I'm bored!" messages to me every 10 minutes while it waits for a sat to get destroyed).

Bh

X-it
x3

Post by X-it » Thu, 5. Jan 06, 14:48

Thanks for the update, Bh, and I can indeed see the benefits of excluding some races early on in the game.

Cheers.

Bhruic
x3tc

Post by Bhruic » Fri, 6. Jan 06, 08:57

Well, almost done. At this point I'm just looking for bugs. I'm not going to include the 'race limiter' in this version, because I haven't finalized how it will work. But the rest of it is working decently.

Hopefully, barring any major bugs, I can release something in a few hours time.

Bh

CO. Dragon Corp

Post by CO. Dragon Corp » Fri, 6. Jan 06, 13:20

Bhruic wrote:Well, almost done. At this point I'm just looking for bugs. I'm not going to include the 'race limiter' in this version, because I haven't finalized how it will work. But the rest of it is working decently.

Hopefully, barring any major bugs, I can release something in a few hours time.

Bh
Great, I'm looking forward to it...
[ external image ]

Bhruic
x3tc

Post by Bhruic » Fri, 6. Jan 06, 13:29

I had to go and mention bugs, didn't I. :)

Functionally it works right now, but there are a couple bugs to track down. May take a little longer to catch, as the debugging system is somewhat less than robust.

I'm still solid on 'soon' however. ;)

Bh

EidolonsFury
x4

Post by EidolonsFury » Fri, 6. Jan 06, 20:43

I hate all those itchy, crawly bugs. Especially the ones that show up when you think everything is cool, and it's time to relax. I remember this one time, years ago, I'm sitting on the couch, watching some TV. Sitting there, relaxing, drinking a nice glass of tea. Then, out the corner of my eye, I think I see something, so I turn my head, and spend a minute or two to focus my attention. There, a couple feet away from me, on top of the back part of the couch, is this HUGE cockroach.

Nasty lil bugger, surprised me a bit it did. It was so big, I wasn't right sure if I wanted to kill it, or just slap it silly til it went elsewhere. I forget what I decided to grab to smash that sucka with. I just remember I wanted something solid, as those things can be quite fast. It's a horrid feeling to seem to stun the creature, only to have it dart off in a panic and run up your shoulder...then gets onto your neck....eww

Creepy, nasty lil buggers. Hate those unexpected bugs. Bugs in code can be just as annoying too. :lol:
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Bhruic
x3tc

Post by Bhruic » Fri, 6. Jan 06, 21:12

Yeah, the creepy, crawly kind are annoying as well. I really hate it when I'm going to the bathroom at night, turn on the washroom light, and something starts crawling away. I really don't want to know what it is, but the fact that something is there freaks me out.

On the coding front (;)), I just need to get the darn 'ship.sync' to work properly. Well, it works properly (it's the function that prevents 2 ships from trying to place satellites in the same sector, or go to the same station to get satellites). But for some reason it seems to 'drop' ships under some indetermined circumstance. So basically the ship.sync function doesn't know the ship exists, so ships go back to going to the same spot.

Once I can nail that one down, I should be good.

Bh

CO. Dragon Corp

Post by CO. Dragon Corp » Sat, 7. Jan 06, 01:28

Bhruic wrote:Yeah, the creepy, crawly kind are annoying as well. I really hate it when I'm going to the bathroom at night, turn on the washroom light, and something starts crawling away. I really don't want to know what it is, but the fact that something is there freaks me out.

On the coding front (;)), I just need to get the darn 'ship.sync' to work properly. Well, it works properly (it's the function that prevents 2 ships from trying to place satellites in the same sector, or go to the same station to get satellites). But for some reason it seems to 'drop' ships under some indetermined circumstance. So basically the ship.sync function doesn't know the ship exists, so ships go back to going to the same spot.

Once I can nail that one down, I should be good.

Bh
Take your time, good things mostly need patience :wink: .

It was not earlier than today that I realized that I finally are in need of a sattelite deploying script. Everyone knows that from time to time station get destroyed, or they just disappear and you read this in a BBS news report. In the past my universe lost only unimportant stations - at least they were unimportant for me. But today a "pbc factory" was whipped from the map and I used to buy at that station :shock: .

I know that there will be a replacment station....SOMEWHERE. And this is were your sattelite deployer jumps in and does the job for me. I need to constantly update the whereabouts of factories I need to equip my ships!

PS: About the things that used to crawl in the bathroom....I thank god every day for not living in a country with....dangerous snakes, scorpions, frogs and so on. There's maybe one dangerous snake in this country (germany) and I've never met one in my life (though I use to wander trough nature quite often). :D
[ external image ]

Bhruic
x3tc

Post by Bhruic » Sat, 7. Jan 06, 15:55

Ok, finally got the new version released. I'd appreciate if someone out there can host it as well, as the machine it's on now is somewhat flakey at times, and I'm going to away and unable to reboot it if it crashes.

Hopefully this release is bug-free (ha!), but if you run into any abnormalities, let me know.

Bh

TycHouse
x3tc

Post by TycHouse » Sat, 7. Jan 06, 16:12

I am hosting the file here, any updates please let me know.

cheers
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 4.0GHz Processor
ASrock Extreme 3 R2.0 Motherboard
8Gb memory
2 x AMD HD7770 Graphics (Crossfire not enabled)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit SP2

X-it
x3

Post by X-it » Sat, 7. Jan 06, 16:27

Nice! Thank you very much. Small question:
Bhruic wrote:"Continue" - This determines how the ship will act when it is required to resupply (purchase more satellites). If this is set to '1', the ship will return to the sector it was at previously, and choose a new destination from there. If this is set to '0', the ship will not return, and will begin deploying from its new location.
If set to 0, it will start deploying sats at or close to where it bought the new sats, while set to 1 will make it return to the sector it was in when it ran out of sats?

If it is set to deploy 8 sats per sector, will it deploy its current hold of for example 5 sats, and then go and buy new ones, or will it only start the deployment if it has at least 8 sats in the hold?

Bhruic
x3tc

Post by Bhruic » Sat, 7. Jan 06, 16:48

X-it wrote:If set to 0, it will start deploying sats at or close to where it bought the new sats, while set to 1 will make it return to the sector it was in when it ran out of sats?
Basically, yes.
If it is set to deploy 8 sats per sector, will it deploy its current hold of for example 5 sats, and then go and buy new ones, or will it only start the deployment if it has at least 8 sats in the hold?
The former. As long as it has a satellite in cargo, it will try and use it - it will only buy more when it completely runs out.

Bh

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”