ZMap - Mayhem 3 (and Zero Hour) Map Generator and Editor

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

alexalsp
x4

Re: ZMap - Mayhem 3 Map Generator and Editor

Post by alexalsp » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 21:15

Thanks, I'll check. Get well. Covid is evil...
I wrote to Discord, but probably because of the covid and the discord was silent... :skull:

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 23:44

Another bug I think...

1) Set the map settings
2) Do not press the button to generate a map.
3) Open the Load/Save dialog and close it
All settings are reset, except races. I will assume that this should not happen and all settings should remain in place.

https://youtu.be/vmxvgtjmkTc
Also, you are correct. You can NOT set Unknown or Xenons as Dejure owner of a system.
In this case, maybe there is a possibility to exclude these two races from the Dejure owner list, so that an error would not be displayed?

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Sun, 13. Nov 22, 00:53

More good catches.
Both fixed.
However, neither is critical so I'll wait to put them in a future release.
Thanks
Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes.

alexalsp
x4

Re: ZMap - Mayhem 3 (and Zero Hour) Map Generator and Editor

Post by alexalsp » Mon, 21. Nov 22, 23:25

Another bug
Not restored when loading the map.

ReanimatuS

Post by ReanimatuS » Sat, 26. Nov 22, 14:18

Hi, Sector VA is wrong after activating Zmap universe, looks like game still think its vanila map, after load same map through MayhemGen problem fixed

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Sat, 26. Nov 22, 16:16

ReanimatuS wrote:
Sat, 26. Nov 22, 14:18
Hi, Sector VA is wrong after activating Zmap universe, looks like game still think its vanila map, after load same map through MayhemGen problem fixed
Sounds like you have a problem with your install.

Mstrnicegui
x3fl

Post by Mstrnicegui » Fri, 23. Dec 22, 00:54

I have everything I need to try zero hour but the generator won't work. I can't scroll past setting split friend foe settings
Any help?

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Sun, 1. Jan 23, 17:06

Mstrnicegui wrote:
Fri, 23. Dec 22, 00:54
I have everything I need to try zero hour but the generator won't work. I can't scroll past setting split friend foe settings
Any help?
I don't quite understand what you mean. There is no scrolling in ZMap, other than perhaps in one of the textboxes and that's just text information, not anything functional.
All U.I. controls are presented without any necessary scrolling to get to them. Maybe show a screen shot of what you are trying to do?

Joelnh
x3tc

Post by Joelnh » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 01:49

Using this on my first Zerohour playthrough. it definately adds more flavor to the game.
How is number of planets and their bonuses decided per sector ?

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 23:12

Joelnh wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 01:49
Using this on my first Zerohour playthrough. it definately adds more flavor to the game.
First, thank you for the kind comment. I think it adds a lot of flavor too :P

Actual Number of Planets in a given sector is driven entirely by this text file:
\Mayhem 3\mayhem_data\sunsandplanets.txt
This file came from the original Mayhem 3 release and represents a list of Sun/Planet combinations separated by a blank line. Basically a template.
When generating the Map/Universe, each system's suns and planets is populated from this list.

Sector Bonus's are random values between an appropriate range. For example, system research level is a random value between 40 and 100.
You can look at the exact generation of these in the method GenerateSystemStats() located in Generator.cs in the source code (which is freely downloadable).

Joelnh
x3tc

Post by Joelnh » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 13:25

Hairless-Ape wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 23:12
Joelnh wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 01:49
First, thank you for the kind comment. I think it adds a lot of flavor too :P

Actual Number of Planets in a given sector is driven entirely by this text file:
\Mayhem 3\mayhem_data\sunsandplanets.txt
This file came from the original Mayhem 3 release and represents a list of Sun/Planet combinations separated by a blank line. Basically a template.
When generating the Map/Universe, each system's suns and planets is populated from this list.

Sector Bonus's are random values between an appropriate range. For example, system research level is a random value between 40 and 100.
You can look at the exact generation of these in the method GenerateSystemStats() located in Generator.cs in the source code (which is freely downloadable).
Thank you, I looked and it just confuses me right now. So not going to mess with it.
I was going to try and make all systems have 2-5 planets, and tweak Terraforming to have Pirate ,Khaak, Xenon or OCV invade for more flavor.

Is there an easy way to fix when Sector Names are wrong when said by Computer ?
I just had a great map generated, the right side has a long channel down to the corner with a pocket area of 11 systems that I am planning to claim.

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Mon, 13. Feb 23, 14:23

Yes, you could make all systems have 2-5 planets by messing with that template file.
ZMap has nothing to do with terraforming and invasions etc.. as you know, so you would need to alter the mayhem 3 code for that.

I've not been able to duplicate the Sector Names issue so far.
I have only been able to get 1 player to send me his saved map folder for this problem (\mayhem 3\mayhem_galaxies\somemapfolder), and when I loaded it, it worked perfectly fine; system names were all correctly spoken.
My gut feel is that there is something different about their installation such as perhaps some other mod interfering, or perhaps they didn't follow the same installation steps that Joubarbe outlined.

ONE guy said that he took a ZMap and set it active and then loaded it up with the original Joubarbe map editor, and then saved it there, and then it worked for him. No one else has confirmed that this actually works as a solution. Believe me, if I could seem this problem happen, I could easily fix it, but I've generated hundreds and hundreds of maps and so far never seen this problem so i'm at a loss as to what to do. Perhaps if someone sent me their entire mayhem 3 install folder zipped up, I could run that and see if I could duplicate the problem. sigh.

Joelnh
x3tc

Post by Joelnh » Mon, 13. Feb 23, 21:31

Hairless-Ape wrote:
Mon, 13. Feb 23, 14:23
Yes, you could make all systems have 2-5 planets by messing with that template file.
ZMap has nothing to do with terraforming and invasions etc.. as you know, so you would need to alter the mayhem 3 code for that.

I've not been able to duplicate the Sector Names issue so far.
I have only been able to get 1 player to send me his saved map folder for this problem (\mayhem 3\mayhem_galaxies\somemapfolder), and when I loaded it, it worked perfectly fine; system names were all correctly spoken.
My gut feel is that there is something different about their installation such as perhaps some other mod interfering, or perhaps they didn't follow the same installation steps that Joubarbe outlined.

ONE guy said that he took a ZMap and set it active and then loaded it up with the original Joubarbe map editor, and then saved it there, and then it worked for him. No one else has confirmed that this actually works as a solution. Believe me, if I could seem this problem happen, I could easily fix it, but I've generated hundreds and hundreds of maps and so far never seen this problem so i'm at a loss as to what to do. Perhaps if someone sent me their entire mayhem 3 install folder zipped up, I could run that and see if I could duplicate the problem. sigh.
Really, that is very interesting... I get the wrong names for every sector / map used.
Maybe in future I will redo the installation and see if it has same issue at various stages.
Base X3AP, LU only, Mayhem, ZH, then ZMap Map.

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Tue, 14. Feb 23, 17:19

One possibility for the problem is having read-only files in your install directory. I have no idea how they could get this way, but it fits the problem. This would cause a mismatch of voices, and also would be something I would never see if I were to run YOUR map.

ZMap creates the map in \mayhem 3\mayhem_galaxies\somemapfolder
But when you activate it, it copies that entire folder (and sub folders) over to \mayhem 3\, basically overwriting those specific game files and subfolder files.
If any one of them is read-only, the copy operation may not work for that file, and you'd probably never know it, because I just added error messaging for that possibility and haven't released that yet..

Easy way to find out, would be to open up a command prompt and copy the files manually with xcopy..

Or you could just remove the read-only attribute on your mayhem 3 files and then re-activate the map in Zmap:
1. navigate to your mayhem 3 folder.
2. open command prompt and run this: attrib -r -s *.*
3. run Zmap, load the map and re-activate it.

Joelnh
x3tc

Post by Joelnh » Thu, 16. Feb 23, 16:51

Hairless-Ape wrote:
Tue, 14. Feb 23, 17:19
One possibility for the problem is having read-only files in your install directory. I have no idea how they could get this way, but it fits the problem. This would cause a mismatch of voices, and also would be something I would never see if I were to run YOUR map.

ZMap creates the map in \mayhem 3\mayhem_galaxies\somemapfolder
But when you activate it, it copies that entire folder (and sub folders) over to \mayhem 3\, basically overwriting those specific game files and subfolder files.
If any one of them is read-only, the copy operation may not work for that file, and you'd probably never know it, because I just added error messaging for that possibility and haven't released that yet..

Easy way to find out, would be to open up a command prompt and copy the files manually with xcopy..

Or you could just remove the read-only attribute on your mayhem 3 files and then re-activate the map in Zmap:
1. navigate to your mayhem 3 folder.
2. open command prompt and run this: attrib -r -s *.*
3. run Zmap, load the map and re-activate it.
I just did the attrib command to all files / folders and recopied but still have the problem.

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Thu, 16. Feb 23, 19:01

I've updated the Installation instructions for ZMap to include a temporary fix that works for the "misspoken sector names" problem.

Thank you Joelnh :)

Igor.tverd
x3ap

Post by Igor.tverd » Sat, 11. Mar 23, 11:57

Hi everyone, I can't get this to run on linux, could someone upload a map file so I can play ZH?
Fantasy is the impossible made probable. Science fiction is the improbable made possible.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Sat, 11. Mar 23, 22:09

I don't think this will work at all on Linux.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”