[Mayhem 3.14d] Rebalance Mod 1.0 - Stronger Factions

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

dunderhead327
x3ap

Re: [Mayhem 3.14d] Rebalance Mod 1.0 - Stronger Factions

Post by dunderhead327 » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 14:41

Hector0x wrote:
Mon, 11. Oct 21, 19:07
dunderhead327 wrote:
Mon, 11. Oct 21, 16:32
However, I notice that while the M1s and M2+s have had their hanger capacities drastically reduced, the M7Cs haven't.
That was Joubarbe's doing. He didn't change the M7Cs because of their exterior docking clamps. It would look wierd if most of them remain empty. iirc their ship price got raised a bit.
OK, fair enough. Griffons and Ariadnes it is then!

They still seem to be ridiculously good value - perhaps they should have their weapons loadouts nerfed? Maybe limit them to heavy weapons in the main battery, and medium in the turrets? Should such small, cheap ships really have access to capital class weapons?

Betelgeuse97
x4

Post by Betelgeuse97 » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 08:10

dunderhead327 wrote:
Tue, 12. Oct 21, 14:41
Hector0x wrote:
Mon, 11. Oct 21, 19:07
dunderhead327 wrote:
Mon, 11. Oct 21, 16:32
However, I notice that while the M1s and M2+s have had their hanger capacities drastically reduced, the M7Cs haven't.
That was Joubarbe's doing. He didn't change the M7Cs because of their exterior docking clamps. It would look wierd if most of them remain empty. iirc their ship price got raised a bit.
OK, fair enough. Griffons and Ariadnes it is then!

They still seem to be ridiculously good value - perhaps they should have their weapons loadouts nerfed? Maybe limit them to heavy weapons in the main battery, and medium in the turrets? Should such small, cheap ships really have access to capital class weapons?
Those ships are also prone to getting killed by stupidly flying into an enemy fleet, much like your other ships. They're already weak defensively and they don't have a stronger laser generator compared to normal M7s to support their weapons. I think it's fine as is.

dunderhead327
x3ap

Post by dunderhead327 » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 16:45

I was thinking, at least partly, of OOS, where laser recharge rates are largely ignored. I expect someone is going to tell me that this has been fixed as part of the OOS/IS rebalancing, in which case you may well be right.

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 19:41

dunderhead327 wrote:
Wed, 13. Oct 21, 16:45
I was thinking, at least partly, of OOS, where laser recharge rates are largely ignored. I expect someone is going to tell me that this has been fixed as part of the OOS/IS rebalancing, in which case you may well be right.
i believe i only assigned weaker guns on the cheap M7C like Griffon and Ariadne. Other M7 should be much better armed. And you're right about energy being irrelevant. At least it should already be this way. If any ships are ever running low on energy in M3R i would've made a mistake and would need to change it. Laser energy doesn't apply OOS and the AI doesn't understand it. That's 2 reasons why it fails as a mechanic and shouldn't even exist.

dunderhead327
x3ap

Post by dunderhead327 » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 21:38

Hector0x wrote:
Wed, 13. Oct 21, 19:41
dunderhead327 wrote:
Wed, 13. Oct 21, 16:45
i believe i only assigned weaker guns on the cheap M7C like Griffon and Ariadne. Other M7 should be much better armed. And you're right about energy being irrelevant. At least it should already be this way. If any ships are ever running low on energy in M3R i would've made a mistake and would need to change it. Laser energy doesn't apply OOS and the AI doesn't understand it. That's 2 reasons why it fails as a mechanic and shouldn't even exist.
No, both the Griffon and Ariadne carry capital class weapons. Agreed, the Griffon is not as well armed as the other Argon M7s, but she still has 4 PAAs.

The Ariadne is a different story, especially if we don't need to worry about laser energy. Full tooled up, she carries 16 FBCs, 4 PSGs and 24 M3s. Compare that to the Deimos (18 FBC and 6 M3s), Agamemnon (22 FBCs), and even the Zeus M1 (20 FBC and 25 M3s). She may be a bit fragile for an M7, but she's not slow. A real bargain!

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 15:01

So could you elaborate on exactly what this means please?

"Large galaxies can have very fast levelling difficult NPC empires"

I just want to understand better because I like your mod, but I really hate playing on a medium map. If I can understand what you mean better, I can possibly modify it myself a bit to compensate.
Hoping the game is more stable with your mod on top of Mayhem 3.14d..
Thanks for your hard work and insight. Looks like fun exploring your mod to this great game.
Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes.

Hairless-Ape
xr

Re: [Mayhem 3.8b] Rebalance Mod 0.2

Post by Hairless-Ape » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 15:11

hephasttus wrote:
Tue, 2. Feb 21, 21:08
When my fleet consisting of a carrier-leader and several fighters engages enemies, the fighters continously teleport in and out of my carrier mid-battle. I think every time they acquire a new target. Is there a way around this?

From my observation, this is a problem with the 'mayhem_supportRetreat' flag not being set back to null after the fighter docks, and so the fighters still sometimes think they are retreating.
I believe the fix involves resetting this flag in Mayhem.Task.Support.xml around where it has retreat logic. My own hack seems to fix this, but I'll let you decide for yourself.

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 17:37

Thanks. Nice to read that you may have fixed your previous issue. Although i don't think this mod helped with that.
Hairless-Ape wrote:
Mon, 22. Nov 21, 15:01
So could you elaborate on exactly what this means please?

"Large galaxies can have very fast levelling difficult NPC empires"
NPC outposts get a small production efficiency levelup each time their faction looses a sector. If your galaxy is larger it has more battlegroups/invasions so the levelups are way more frequent. And after some time a lot more outposts will be at higher level.
It won't affect the player much as long as he only focusses on the Xenon or Yaki. But the major factions can potentially become very challenging because most of their outposts crank out military very quickly. And with the hull/shield adjustments on capships its difficult for the player to win battles without any attritional damage or losses which makes the NPC production bonus even better than it might seem.

Unfortunately i didn't include any t-file options for you to customize the production efficiency levelling. I only recently learned how to do that. So its set in the scripts. +1% for each sector loss with a 75% maximum efficiency, starting at the default 50%.

Basically with average galaxy size a faction only gets maybe half a dozen inner core outposts which are safe to level up and reach max level. The rest of their outposts might be at dangerous borders where they sometimes get destroyed.
On the largest galaxy size there are much less border sectors and more core sectors. So factions often get huge areas which are completely safe. All those outposts will slowly level up to the maximum and never get reset from destruction/rebuilding. So the factions end up with very powerful economy. Maybe too powerful, hence the warning.

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 19:52

No worries. I see where you made the changes in Mayhem.Conquer.xml and Mayhem.SpecializationLevelup.xml. I can 'tone it down' for my own game play. Seems like a fair idea to boost their specialization level as they lose systems, but I'm not sure I like this particular feature for my own play. I do think a t-file entry would be nice to enable/disable and another to set the threshold to something lower than 75% if you wanted it that way, but no worries either way.
It's certainly interesting how everyone has their own preferences on how to skew the game. I actually prefer races to go down hard and fast rather than to extend their life as they start to take a beating, but it's nice to have choices.
Cheers.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Mon, 31. Jan 22, 11:21

Mayhem 3 Rebalans - 8483-L044.xml

Code: Select all

<t id="16701">Tobosaku</t>

<t id="16701">Cikyu</t>
Tobosaku must be, I suspect

<t id="16691">Tobosaku</t>

<t id="16701">Tobosaku</t>
<t id="16692">In its day, this Terran heavyweight ruled the battlefield. Even now, should one ever appear in combat, it would be a serious threat to even the most powerful battleship-carriers in service. It may be slow, but once it arrives it raw firepower and massive shielding gives the Tobosaku the edge over any other pure battleship, and makes it the equal of the hybrids.</t>

dunderhead327
x3ap

Post by dunderhead327 » Thu, 3. Feb 22, 14:57

TLDR: Yes, I think you are probably correct.

The ship section of the encyclopedia is a bit of a mess, but was much worse before I re-wrote it for Mayhem 3.5. The changes in Mayhem 3.8 (and, therefore, the Rebalance mod) unfortunately mean that the descriptions of the M1s, M2+s, and M7Cs no longer reflect the ships' actual capabilities, especially their cost/benefit analyses.

To avoid the risk of losing data, I created the 8483-L044.xml file to override 8383-L044.xml. I cleansed the data in 8483 by removing the duplicate and unused ship records (of which there were many), but TBH I was losing the will to live by the time I got to the Terran capital ships, so I may have missed one. However, I believe that any xxx01 or xxx02 records relating to ships which are in 8383 but not 8483 are not used. xxx01 files are linked somehow to the ship models, and hold the text displayed in the HUD and system map. The xxx02 records hold the text displayed in the encyclopedia. I don't know how they are associated to each other, nor do I know why duplicate or missing keys do not cause any problems (e.g. there are no 16741 or 16751 records, but 16742 and 16752 do exist). In a number of cases, as here, the xxx01 and xxx02 for a particular ship are not consecutive. I have not been a programmer for many years, and my experience would not be relevant in any case, so I didn't even try to investigate the code.

Looking at 8483-L044.xml, I think you are right. The name of the Tobosaku in the HUD etc. comes from the first 16701, but its encyclopedia entry is 16992, while the Cikyu uses the other 16701, and 16702. Black magic! If you want to test this, changing the text between ">" and "<" won't break your game (but you probably already knew that).

TestUnknown

Post by TestUnknown » Fri, 29. Apr 22, 08:32

I am trying to decide whether to start a new game using Rebalance Mod. Is a new version (compatible with Mayhem 3.15) expected soon? Any advice on whether to wait for the new version or just play with the current version?

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Fri, 29. Apr 22, 22:26

TestUnknown wrote:
Fri, 29. Apr 22, 08:32
I am trying to decide whether to start a new game using Rebalance Mod. Is a new version (compatible with Mayhem 3.15) expected soon? Any advice on whether to wait for the new version or just play with the current version?
For now you should play vanilla Mayhem 3.18. There are no plans to get this updated.

But i can tell you this. Since 3.15 i have been working on a new project. Its slowly coming along and i'm about to start my first proper testing game with almost every feature implemented and seemingly working. Realistically i probably need at least another month to fix bugs and achieve an acceptable release quality.

This new mod will not tweak any ship stats and focusses more on making the gameworld more alive and implement actual faction AI.

TestUnknown

Post by TestUnknown » Sun, 1. May 22, 18:22

Hector0x wrote:
Fri, 29. Apr 22, 22:26

For now you should play vanilla Mayhem 3.18. There are no plans to get this updated.

But i can tell you this. Since 3.15 i have been working on a new project. Its slowly coming along and i'm about to start my first proper testing game with almost every feature implemented and seemingly working. Realistically i probably need at least another month to fix bugs and achieve an acceptable release quality.

This new mod will not tweak any ship stats and focusses more on making the gameworld more alive and implement actual faction AI.
The stronger factions in rebalance mod is attractive to me and I am role playing a particular scenario where there are powerful permanent enemies and weak allies. Now that 18x18 galaxies works, I made a map editor to move the sectors around so that each faction's territory is contiguous. https://drive.google.com/file/d/16PQAeF ... sp=sharing This I hope will make the weaker allies slowly loses territory until one day that I am strong enough to turn the tides of the war. I can't wait for your new faction AI just to see what would happen.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”