[Mayhem 3] Backgrounds Pack - 50 new Skyboxes

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Hector0x
x3tc

[Mayhem 3] Backgrounds Pack - 50 new Skyboxes

Post by Hector0x » Mon, 14. Dec 20, 18:37

Mayhem 3: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=381503

Mayhem 3 Backgrounds Pack

Terracorp Outer Border Expansion Cycle No.42 - Final Report:
"Aborted 1,327% of all cycle 42 terraforming missions. Exploration Zones are now designated as reservation for Commonwealth species. Terran law code 871 enacted. Active and inactive terraforming assets still in the area."

:star: Summary:
  • Adds 50 new backgrounds for Mayhem 3's galaxy generation
  • includes seamless panoramic views and full 360° nebula formations which enclose entire sectors top to bottom
    Spoiler
    Show
    ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
  • re-enabled 8 IEX backgrounds which were present in Mayhem 2, but did not make it into Mayhem 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    ImageImageImageImageImage

• new concept of weighted background usage during galaxy generation. Certain backgrounds are rare.
  • customizable

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jKjWtm ... sp=sharing

The download archive contains:
  • the TEZ.cat/.dat X3 game files
  • a "custom_backgrounds.txt", which is the sector ID list for Mayhem 3's procedural galaxy generator
  • a "template_TBackgrounds.txt", which is required since Mayhem 3.9 and it's Mayhem graphics pack version 2 (customizable fog and dust particles)

Installation:
  • extract the archive into your main game folder (x3 terran conflict), NOT the addon folder
  • go to x3 terran conflict/addon and rename "TEZ.cat" and "TEZ.dat" files so that both get the highest cat/dat number (fake patch method).
  • create your Galaxy like normal

!!! Each Mayhem update will override "custom_backgrounds.txt" and "template_TBackgrounds.txt". After updating Mayhem 3 you have to replace both with my custom files again before creating a new galaxy. You don't have to do this if you update and then continue playing in a galaxy which has already been created using my file.

Mayhem 3 uses skyboxes from LU and the IEX project. But there is not much variation. A lot of LU's backgrounds are just recolored variants. This lead to certain background styles getting spammed during galaxy generation. IEX backgrounds are still part of the original Mayhem 3 graphics pack, but most are not used by the Galaxy Generator.

If you don't count all colored variants, then Mayhem 3 actually only uses 29 unique background styles. Which is not very much for a galaxy with 200 or more sectors. This mod aims to touch that up a bit. Now there is a fair chance that specific backgrounds don't appear even once during a single game.

The idea is to increase visual variety and that you can occasionally stumble across a really unique looking sector. I generally opted for a certain fantasy vibe over realism. These are the Outer Border Galaxies after all. But this style might not be for those of you who like X3 especially for it's more subtle space scenes. If you're unsure i recommend that you check some of the new backgrounds out before starting a new game (see below).

Potential issues:
  • Suns: I didn't touch suns at all. Some dark themed sectors may get very bright suns. Bright looking sectors could get low sun intensity. Suns could be placed in locations which just look wrong or similar lighting issues. Nothing i can do about it. Mayhem 3 galaxies are random.
How to check the backgrounds out:
  • launch X3, start a new game with the galaxy editor, create a new galaxy
  • open your sector map and click on the arrows to scroll through all background ID's. You can also hover your mouse over the ID number to simply type a new one and hit enter.
  • 0-81 are standart Mayhem backgrounds from LU and IEX (not all are used). 82-131 are new backgrounds from this pack (all used)
How to disable certain backgrounds:
  • Mayhem 3's Galaxy Generator simply looks at the background ID list in mayhem_data/custom_backgrounds.txt and picks a random number. These are the ID's from the galaxy editor.
  • i rebuilt this textfile from scratch. It now uses a weighted background selection. Some backgrounds have duplicate ID entries, which makes them more common than others.
  • you can increase spawn chances or even disable backgrounds you don't like by adding or removing their ID entries in mayhem_data/custom_backgrounds.txt
    • right now unique original Mayhem backgrounds without recolored variants got 4 ID entries (high chance to appear during galaxy generation).
    • Mayhem backgrounds with recolored variants got 1 or 2 entries for each color variant. So the overall background style is still very common, but it doesn't get spammed in different colors as much as before.
    • reenabled IEX backgrounds (ID: 2, 3, 12, 17, 18, 21, 26 and 28). Most of them are rare with only 1 entry each. A few are uncommon with 2 entries.
    • new backgrounds from this pack without color variants are mostly rare with 1 ID entry. A few are uncommon with 2 entries.
    • new backgrounds from this pack with color variants got 1 entry (generally up to 3 color variants).

Credits:
Special thanks to XenonArchitect07 for helping me to create a new skybox sphere object with equirectangular texture.
Thanks to Joubarbe for providing the template file which is required since Mayhem 3.9

Permissions:
Feel free to reuse or change any part of this mod. The download only includes content which was created from scratch.
Last edited by Hector0x on Thu, 7. Oct 21, 16:55, edited 14 times in total.

XenonArchitect7

Re: Mayhem 3 Backgrounds Pack - 50 new Skyboxes

Post by XenonArchitect7 » Mon, 14. Dec 20, 19:16

Nice work! Will certainly use this on my next Mayhem III run.

Hector0x
x3tc

Re: [Mayhem 3] Backgrounds Pack - 50 new Skyboxes

Post by Hector0x » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 18:28

updated for Mayhem 3.9

please check the new install & update instructions.

old savegames/galaxies:
update this mod, then launch the game through the Galaxy Generator once like Mayhem Update 3.9 asks of you.
Last edited by Hector0x on Wed, 24. Feb 21, 16:48, edited 2 times in total.

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 21:11

template_TBackgrounds.txt is used to create the file your_galaxy\addon\types\TBackgrounds.txt only in two cases:

1. The file TBackgrounds.txt doesn't exist in your galaxy (to get proper compatibility with galaxies prior to 3.9).
2. When you generate a new galaxy.

Launching the game through the Galaxy Generator will not overwrite your TBackgrounds.txt file. If there's a new update that restore the original template_TBackgrounds.txt, it's not a problem. Also see this technique if you want to use custom template_TBackgrounds.txt and incorporate it into a previous galaxy.

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Wed, 24. Feb 21, 16:05

I've downloaded the new version.

go to x3 terran conflict/mayhem_data and delete "template_TBackgrounds.txt"
rename "template_TBackgrounds_-_TEZ.txt" into "template_TBackgrounds.txt"

Then you should have template_TBackgrounds.txt and assume people will overwrite, like they do with custom_backgrounds.txt.

You still have addon\types\TBackgrounds.pck in your catalog file. This whole addon folder has no use anymore.

People should redownload the entire pack and not only the .txt files. Without your new catalog file (and the fog particle files), there is no fog possible.

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Wed, 24. Feb 21, 16:50

Got that wrong thanks. At least it's not as complicated as i initially thought.

Always listen to the Panda people! I'm actually only the community manager

Descriptions are up to date.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”