[X3TC/AP] [Script] Ship Autoclaimer

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

terodil
x4

[X3TC/AP] [Script] Ship Autoclaimer

Post by terodil » Fri, 22. May 20, 14:06

Ship Autoclaimer
by Terodil

Current Version: 1.2

Purpose:
Make claiming derelict ships easier.

Use cases:
  1. You are tired of having to exit your ship every time you want to pick up a derelict, and you want to avoid the hassle of illegal software upgrades.
  2. You have discovered and want to claim a derelict ship not claimable by conventional means, e.g. a TM, M6, M7 or larger. (This usually does not happen in an unmodded game, but if you use NPC bailing, for example, it may be a more frequent occurrence.)
How does this mod work?
Fly close to a derelict ship and bring your ship to a complete stop. If all conditions are met (the target ship belongs to no faction and has no pilot), your on-board software suite will claim the ship for you. No need to exit your ship, and it works with ships of any size. How close you need to be depends on the size of your playership: 300m for M3-M5/spacesuit, 800m for M6/TM/M8, 2000m for M7 and larger.

Why this mod? There's already <X>.
There are quite a few other mods that do similar things (e.g. the Salvage Suite, or the System Override Software Mk. 2). I wanted a very simple and easy solution for my playership without having to mess with new wares that might create compatibility issues, new hotkeys or menues.

Is it balanced? Is it a cheat? Is it fun?
This script makes claiming more comfortable by eliminating a few manual steps, and does not charge you anything extra for this comfort. The ships still need to be available for claiming, i.e. faction- and pilotless. The only functionality that exceeds what is possible in the base game is what I would rather consider a bugfix: being able to claim derelicts of a larger size. On the cheaty side, the pirate SOS software which allows you to remotely claim a ship, but which is illegal in most factions' spaces, is no longer needed. If you consider this unbalanced or even a cheat, you are welcome to not use this script. I wrote it to make my game more fun, you be the judge of whether it also makes your game more fun.

How large is the impact on PC performance?
Negligeable. This script runs as part of the Artificial Life system and is extremely light-weight.

Installation
Download link: https://www.nexusmods.com/x3terranconflict/mods/111/
Simply copy the script folder into the base game directory (in the case of X3TC) or into the addon folder under the base game directory (in the case of X3AP).
You need to have tagged your game as ***modified*** (a lot of other mods do this already), otherwise check the web for instructions (keyword 'Thereshallbewings').

Activation/Deactivation
When installed, the script automatically activates. If you want to deactivate it for a time, or to reactivate it again, you can do so at any time via its entry in the Gameplay Options -> Artificial Life menu.

Deinstallation
Turn it off as described above, wait a little (30s) and save. You can then safely delete the script files and reload your save.

Compatibility
Usable with X3TC and AP, regardless of version.
No conflicts with other mods.

Changelog
v1.2 - major bugfix: bigger ships would not always benefit from increased ranges. Fixed.
v1.1 - increased maximum ranges to avoid players bumping their heads against Kyotos and the likes, from 100/300/800 to 300/800/2000 metres for small/medium/large playerships.
v1.0 - initial release.
Last edited by terodil on Mon, 25. Jan 21, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
My X3 mods: Ship Autoclaimer - Ship Services - Friendlier War Sectors - in development: Logistics Centre

terodil
x4

Re: [X3TC/AP] [Script] Ship Autoclaimer

Post by terodil » Thu, 11. Jun 20, 09:06

Update v1.1: Increased ranges to avoid being unable to claim extremely large ships.

How to update: Simply plop the new files in the same folder where you installed the first version to.
My X3 mods: Ship Autoclaimer - Ship Services - Friendlier War Sectors - in development: Logistics Centre

Drimmadeeve

Post by Drimmadeeve » Sat, 20. Jun 20, 02:54

Do you use or have tried Litcubes Universe? The reason i am asking if you could make a version of this for that MOD. Thanks the contribution
Last edited by Drimmadeeve on Tue, 23. Jun 20, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.

terodil
x4

Post by terodil » Sun, 21. Jun 20, 19:41

Drimmadeeve wrote:
Sat, 20. Jun 20, 02:54
Do you use to have tried Litcubes Universe? The reason i am asking if you could make a version of this for that MOD. Thanks the contribution
Hi, I'm not playing with LU. However, I see no reason why this mod should not work with it; it's just a script, after all, and doesn't use any of the limited resources that can cause mod conflicts. I'd recommend just giving it a try, and post back here in the unlikely event that it really does not work. Thanks!

Drimmadeeve

Post by Drimmadeeve » Tue, 23. Jun 20, 04:01

terodil wrote:
Sun, 21. Jun 20, 19:41
Drimmadeeve wrote:
Sat, 20. Jun 20, 02:54
Do you use to have tried Litcubes Universe? The reason i am asking if you could make a version of this for that MOD. Thanks the contribution
Hi, I'm not playing with LU. However, I see no reason why this mod should not work with it; it's just a script, after all, and doesn't use any of the limited resources that can cause mod conflicts. I'd recommend just giving it a try, and post back here in the unlikely event that it really does not work. Thanks!
Ok will give it a try and let you know if it works or not.

Drimmadeeve

Post by Drimmadeeve » Tue, 23. Jun 20, 07:21

Ok, many successful tests with no faults i was aware of, appears to work great with Litcubes Universe. Thanks for your time and energy making this mod.

terodil
x4

Post by terodil » Tue, 23. Jun 20, 09:02

Drimmadeeve wrote:
Tue, 23. Jun 20, 07:21
Ok, many successful tests with no faults i was aware of, appears to work great with Litcubes Universe. Thanks for your time and energy making this mod.
Thank you for testing and reporting back. Enjoy your game!

(Also, just a note: If at first it won't claim, you need to be just a bit closer. The distance given in the target reticule/infobox and the distance I get via scripting seem to not necessarily be the same; I've got the suspicion that one measures centre-of-object to centre-of-object or cockpit to cockpit and the other measures edge-of-object to edge-of-object. That threw me off while I was flying a Zephyrus, which always required me to get more to 250 than to 300 to actually claim.)

terodil
x4

Post by terodil » Mon, 25. Jan 21, 17:24

Updated to v1.2. Major bugfix: bigger ships now actually benefit from bigger ranges when claiming. Please update if you fly a big/huge ship and small ships die left and right when you hug them to death with your Kyoto.
How to update? Simply overwrite the old files.

terodil
x4

Post by terodil » Sat, 6. Feb 21, 00:09

Hi. The official repository will always be on nexusmods, but I uploaded the current version to google drive -- try it and see if you can download it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OiVExW ... sp=sharing -- no guarantee that this link will stay up-to-date -- or even just up. Registration with nexusmods is free of charge and spam.

lkn240

Post by lkn240 » Sun, 4. Apr 21, 02:52

This script is awesome.... doesn't make it too easy to claim ships, but makes it WAY less of a PITA

terodil
x4

Post by terodil » Sun, 4. Apr 21, 17:53

Thank you, Ikn <3

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”