[mod] X3 - RESURRECTION MOD (New graphic mod)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Daemonjax
x4

Re: [mod] X3 - RESURRECTION MOD (New graphic mod)

Post by Daemonjax » Thu, 4. Apr 19, 19:08

I was hesitant to say anything, because I don't want to piss in anyone's cheerios, but then I thought to myself: "Hey, if I released a mod, I'd want some honest feedback." So, here goes:

The textures themselves are very good.

However, there's too much texture shimmering going on due to a lot of them being too high resolution. This is a common problem with graphics mods in all games -- either the texture itself is too high res, or the mipmaps are too sharp (usually the former since most people just go with the default filters). I see this a lot in mods, even popular ones.

Other people might not care about texture shimmering -- I do, and I think they're crazy. But different people have different opinions on what looks good to them, so whatever.

And this isn't like Skyrim (texture buffet), where it's easy to just find the right dds file in a mod and tweak it until it looks good -- It would be too much work for me to do that just for a few nicer textures over what IEX has, and IEX doesn't have a noticeable texture shimmering issue.

But, hey, in the end you're going to make the mod you want to make and play -- it's the only way to do it and have fun.

BananaMaster

Post by BananaMaster » Fri, 5. Apr 19, 02:52

AFAIK this are the original textures, just a little sharpened and with increased contrast, Daemonjax.
Do you mean with shimmering that appearance that there is no AA? Then yea I have the same issue with it. Why, btw, is it that drivers can't AA these lines? Maybe I try ReShade next. That could do like a edge-find and selective blur or something.

BlackArchon
xr

Post by BlackArchon » Fri, 5. Apr 19, 18:07

BananaMaster wrote:
Fri, 5. Apr 19, 02:52
...Why, btw, is it that drivers can't AA these lines? ...
You can use Supersampling, which does a fine job with such problems. However, due to a game engine decision from Egosoft, all ingame text will get blurry. :(

Reshade can only use blur filters (like post-processing antialiasing ones) which just "smear" the picture.

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Mon, 8. Apr 19, 05:26

Daemonjax wrote:
Thu, 4. Apr 19, 19:08
I was hesitant to say anything, because I don't want to piss in anyone's cheerios, but then I thought to myself: "Hey, if I released a mod, I'd want some honest feedback." So, here goes:

The textures themselves are very good.

However, there's too much texture shimmering going on due to a lot of them being too high resolution. This is a common problem with graphics mods in all games -- either the texture itself is too high res, or the mipmaps are too sharp (usually the former since most people just go with the default filters). I see this a lot in mods, even popular ones.

Other people might not care about texture shimmering -- I do, and I think they're crazy. But different people have different opinions on what looks good to them, so whatever.

And this isn't like Skyrim (texture buffet), where it's easy to just find the right dds file in a mod and tweak it until it looks good -- It would be too much work for me to do that just for a few nicer textures over what IEX has, and IEX doesn't have a noticeable texture shimmering issue.

But, hey, in the end you're going to make the mod you want to make and play -- it's the only way to do it and have fun.
Thank you for your opinion.

Indeed, the negative opinions and bug hunters shifted the development of this mod to this form. Texture blinking is one big problem and basically struggles with it from the beginning of development. It is very difficult to find a compromise between the nicely filed texture and its distant view.

For example, the last time I upgraded solar power plant panels. What you now see in the latest version of this mode is just a fraction of what I did. Imagine that the solar panels did not look like a disk, but as real panels, each separately connected to each other, as the game wanted to present. It looked amazing! But the problem was when you flew away from the solar power plant. While moving, the game tried to draw the background behind the individual panels. Result? Blinking, and big! So back and rework, in the end I allowed myself to adjust only the main texture to keep the power plants from blinking.

It is not really easy to improve the look without a negative impact. There are months of work in it and there is still a lot to improve. Unfortunately, I don't have so much time for it now. You know, family, etc... :)

Have a good day

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Mon, 8. Apr 19, 06:10

BananaMaster wrote:
Fri, 5. Apr 19, 02:52
AFAIK this are the original textures, just a little sharpened and with increased contrast, Daemonjax.
Do you mean with shimmering that appearance that there is no AA? Then yea I have the same issue with it. Why, btw, is it that drivers can't AA these lines? Maybe I try ReShade next. That could do like a edge-find and selective blur or something.
Yes, this mod (as it is written) only improves the game's textures, not change it. Yes, I did a few textures myself, but mostly it is an improvement of the original textures or their rework. This is the purpose of this mod. And as has been written many times, this mod does not change any sector settings. The resulting appearance was achieved by balancing of textures (contrast, sharpness, color, brightness, local changing, etc ...)

As a result, you do not have to start a new game with this mod and you can install and uninstall it at any time without risk. This is also the main purpose of this mode.

Large mods have their compatibility packs because their creators have some textures altered and this mod respects them. If there will be some other big mods in the future and you will not sure about compatibility, just put the pair cat and dat files of X3-Resurrection in front of the cat and dat files of the new mod. It's easy.

Thank you all for your understanding.

Betelgeuse97
x4

Post by Betelgeuse97 » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 06:41

I just went to the download page and malwarebytes is telling me that the website (and possibly the mod) is compromised by a trojan. Is this just me or is anyone else getting it too?

Taylor2008
x4

Post by Taylor2008 » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 11:19

I have Malwarebytes too , but I am not getting this message , all is safe...

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 18:21

Have a nice day!

I am working on Patch 3.3.

Currently contains:
- Reduction of Boron hull plates blinking.
- Some changes of HUD (more highlight selected ships + change some ship icons).
- Minor correction of some hazes of planets.

+ Write me what else do you think, I'll look at it ...

X3-AmModer

Flynx
x3tc

Post by Flynx » Sun, 21. Apr 19, 20:29

Thank you very much for your good work. The best X-Game EGOSOFT has created looks amazing with your help!
(imagine how great X4 could be after 10 years of development)

Jimbo4000
x3tc

Post by Jimbo4000 » Sun, 5. May 19, 15:49

Thank you very much for your mod. The game looks so great now.
I never had any problems with flickering textures or anything else.
I'm so happy that this beautiful game is still beautiful in 2019 :D

Edit: I use...
- X3 Albion Prelude
- Bonus Pack 5.1
- Resurrection Mod 3.2
- Cockpit collection from Klaus (Version 2018 without glass)
viewtopic.php?t=388633

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Fri, 17. May 19, 21:15

Have a nice day!

Patch 3.3. currently contains:
- Other reductions of flickering.
- Many changes of HUD (more highlight selected ships + change some ship icons + collored some new icons in quick menu + changes in menu icons, etc...).
- New cursor
- Some changes of asteroids, planets and clouds textures.
- Minor correction of some hazes of planets.
- Some minor corrections and changes of hull plates (Boron, Split, Paranid, ATF)
- Gatewhirl is more detailed again but without so much lighting.
- Nav. arrows are less sharp.

...and I am still working (and playing 😀 )...

Release date of this patch: 1st July 2019

X3-AmModer
Last edited by x3-AmModer on Mon, 20. May 19, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Wed, 19. Jun 19, 16:02

Hi, are there any plans of releasing new version?
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Sat, 22. Jun 19, 08:00

Sorkvild wrote:
Wed, 19. Jun 19, 16:02
Hi, are there any plans of releasing new version?
Hello,

yes, the release date of new patch 3.3 is 1st July 2019

I am still working on. :-)

Have a nice day!

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Sun, 23. Jun 19, 12:10

What's new for 3.3?
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Sun, 23. Jun 19, 14:51

Sorkvild wrote:
Sun, 23. Jun 19, 12:10
What's new for 3.3?
;-)

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=395259&start=225#p4868890

+ I am still balancing some textures. Not so hardly. I am playing the game and if I find something what could be better I enhance it....

But there is one bad message for Mac players. I will make patch for Mac, but some important textures needs use another format which supports better quality. The game accept hard-rewritten file format of textures, (tested and used in v.3.0). But this working only with Windows, not with Mac. The patch for Mac will rewrite these textures on original format but with visible worse quality. There is no chance to fake it somehow.

That all mean, if you want to play the game with full quality of my mod, you must play it with Windows (Linux not tested).

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Sat, 29. Jun 19, 18:41

I'm sorry, but due to technical problems (electricity) I can't finish and upload a new version of the patch.

The expected repair date will be Monday or Tuesday, then I'm unfortunately a lot in work and I won't have enough time.

I have to postpone the release date of the new patch on 15.7.2019.

Thank you for understanding.

X3-AmModer

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Sat, 29. Jun 19, 21:49

BlackArchon wrote:
Sat, 29. Jun 19, 20:39
This is outrageous! I want my money back! :wink:
:D Of course sir....

I am angry, I can't play anything...

Marcus Aseth
x3tc

Post by Marcus Aseth » Wed, 3. Jul 19, 22:29

Hi guys, I was trying Litcube Universe for the first time today and I'm afraid to mess up the install, so I thought of asking :P : is the current version of x3-resurrection compatible with LU1.7.2 version?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”