[mod] X3 - RESURRECTION MOD (New graphic mod)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

BlackArchon
xr

Re: [mod] X3 - RESURRECTION MOD (New graphic mod)

Post by BlackArchon » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 13:30

I'm not exactly sure if I understand you correctly, but I'm glad to hear that you will continue with your mod. :)

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 14:45

BlackArchon wrote:
Thu, 21. Mar 19, 13:30
I'm not exactly sure if I understand you correctly, but I'm glad to hear that you will continue with your mod. :)
At this moment is nothing planned, but support will active still. If someone find some problems, I will look at it...

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 15:51

Hello,

Apart from different colors of asteroids, tracking arrows, flying wares. Nav buoys could use different colors to distinguish from ships.
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

BananaMaster

Post by BananaMaster » Sat, 23. Mar 19, 00:29

Since you are working on it currently: Your mod deactivates anti aliasing. For some reason.
It is enabled in the settings, though. Regardless, the game is not visibly doing any AA. (Settings in nVidia panel have no effect, even in vanilla X3TC/AP.)
Could you activate it please? :)

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Sat, 23. Mar 19, 00:49

Sorkvild wrote:
Thu, 21. Mar 19, 15:51
Hello,

Apart from different colors of asteroids, tracking arrows, flying wares. Nav buoys could use different colors to distinguish from ships.
I think they have.... orange + blue icon.... 🙂 Or not?

X3-AmModer

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Sat, 23. Mar 19, 01:10

BananaMaster wrote:
Sat, 23. Mar 19, 00:29
Since you are working on it currently: Your mod deactivates anti aliasing. For some reason.
It is enabled in the settings, though. Regardless, the game is not visibly doing any AA. (Settings in nVidia panel have no effect, even in vanilla X3TC/AP.)
Could you activate it please? :)
My mod couldn't deactivate anti aliasing. It is not possible because the mod rewrites textures only...
If you think about blinking of sollar panels and some parts of stations, when you are moving, it is known issue with more contrast of new textures. Because in original game with less colorable and less contrasted textures wasn' t it so much visible....

😉

Have a nice day!

BananaMaster

Post by BananaMaster » Sat, 23. Mar 19, 09:09

Oh, yes that is it. :)
Man, I wish I could use FXAA, which works, but that destroys all the text and GUI.

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Sat, 23. Mar 19, 10:15

BananaMaster wrote:
Sat, 23. Mar 19, 09:09
Oh, yes that is it. :)
Man, I wish I could use FXAA, which works, but that destroys all the text and GUI.
Use it 🙂 if you want. The game has more difficult use of textures a it's filters. When I made some presenting pictures, I use everytime all graphic settings on "high" and AA/ATF = 16x/16x. All was fine.... If I was playing this game, I use all high and AA/ATF = 4x/4x. It was good for me....

X3-AmModer 🙂

BlackArchon
xr

Post by BlackArchon » Sat, 23. Mar 19, 17:53

That's the downside of high-resolution textures when the game engine can't or won't use mipmaps correctly: texture aliasing. And since we can't use supersampling in X3 to mitigate the issue (because the fonts will get unreadable), we can't do anything against it.
x3-AmModer, do you have any idea if the X3 engine supports mipmaps? If not, have you experimented with mitigating texture aliasing, like reducing the pixel-to-pixel color differences?

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Sat, 23. Mar 19, 20:57

BlackArchon wrote:
Sat, 23. Mar 19, 17:53

That's the downside of high-resolution textures when the game engine can't or won't use mipmaps correctly: texture aliasing.
Maybe, but I didn't change resolution of the plating of ships and stations.
And since we can't use supersampling in X3 to mitigate the issue (because the fonts will get unreadable), we can't do anything against it.
As I wrote, If you use ATF at 16x, the blinking is out and all fonts are 100% readable...
X3-AmModer, do you have any idea if the X3 engine supports mipmaps? If not, have you experimented with mitigating texture aliasing, like reducing the pixel-to-pixel color differences?
Yes these tests ... I did it. The only possible solution is give back the "grey film" to all textures what masked this problem in original game.... 😉 Sorry, this is old theme, no one know how to resolve it and the textures let same... But I think the mod gives much more than he takes...Try to play 15 min. with this mod and then uninstal it and play vanilla. The "wtf" effect will be big... 😉

Your X3-AmModer

BananaMaster

Post by BananaMaster » Sun, 24. Mar 19, 11:44

x3-AmModer wrote:
Sat, 23. Mar 19, 20:57
As I wrote, If you use ATF at 16x, the blinking is out and all fonts are 100% readable...
That's not what i see. It is looking quite bad. But I understand it's not the fault of your mod, which is a really great one. :)
Everything blinks. The stars, the stations, the planets, all blink.
I have it on max: 8x AA and 16x AF. With a resolution of 1920x1200. (16:10)
Even if I play in the nVidia settings with AA and AF it makes no difference. I use a GTX 560 right now, because my AMD RX 480 broke.

Tomorrow I'll get a AMD RX 570. I'll report back if it changes the looks.

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Sun, 24. Mar 19, 19:06

BananaMaster wrote:
Sun, 24. Mar 19, 11:44
x3-AmModer wrote:
Sat, 23. Mar 19, 20:57
That's not what i see. It is looking quite bad. But I understand it's not the fault of your mod, which is a really great one. :)
Everything blinks. The stars, the stations, the planets, all blink.
I have it on max: 8x AA and 16x AF. With a resolution of 1920x1200. (16:10)
Even if I play in the nVidia settings with AA and AF it makes no difference. I use a GTX 560 right now, because my AMD RX 480 broke.

Tomorrow I'll get a AMD RX 570. I'll report back if it changes the looks.
I haven't seen your game view, but I'm afraid it's normal. Increased contrast, color, and texture sharpness cause blinking (texture + game => used filter => monitor display). In my opinion, blinking causes the game how it works with textures. Highlighting of the textures causes this problem is more visible.

I can do one more test. My theory is some textures in dds format uses alpha, maybe some textures, which shouldn't use the alpha, use it. I mean only dots with alpha and if you are moving, you can see textures are placed behind this textures with alpha dots... I was testing this, but now I will try to convert all this textures to jpg (it abort alfa) and then back to dds. I will let you know.

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 04:50

x3-AmModer wrote:
Thu, 21. Mar 19, 14:45
BlackArchon wrote:
Thu, 21. Mar 19, 13:30
At this moment is nothing planned, but support will active still. If someone find some problems, I will look at it...
Version 3.2. will be finished tomorrow :) . Everything, what you all wanted to do, will be done.

BananaMaster

Post by BananaMaster » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 04:55

Oh, Can you enhance the very dusty sectors logically? I mean you shouldn't be able to see any stars (except the systems core star) or even the planets, nor much of any station in those sectors. Is that possible?
This always bugs me when I fly through them. You can perfectly see the planet, but your view is completely filled with dust. :(

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 13:29

BananaMaster wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 04:55
Oh, Can you enhance the very dusty sectors logically? I mean you shouldn't be able to see any stars (except the systems core star) or even the planets, nor much of any station in those sectors. Is that possible?
This always bugs me when I fly through them. You can perfectly see the planet, but your view is completely filled with dust. :(
Yes, you have true, this is illogical :D , but sorry, this is an intervention in text files and sector editing and it isn' t the role of this mod.... :wink:

But the role of this mod is enhace the textures, you can see the dust without pixelization, for example....

Have a nice day!

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 18:30

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Very soon after the release of the patch 3.1. you wanted to improve something else, something to do. So...

PATCH 3.2. FOR X3 - RESURRECTION WAS RELEASED

You can download it on my web:

X3 - RESURRECTION

- All from previous version 3.1. was added.

And what's new?

- Blinking of the cladding of all ships and stations is greatly reduced.
- Adds specific collor variations of icons for special objects on the map.
- Adds solar panels more dark for more realistic look.
- Less intense of planet lights for more realistic look.

And new HUD Support for cockpit mods in version 2 was added too... :)

Nice day to all, and ENJOY!!!!

X3-AmModer
Last edited by x3-AmModer on Wed, 22. Jul 20, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

BananaMaster

Post by BananaMaster » Tue, 26. Mar 19, 12:47

This is nice, thank you very much! :)

However I think I'll go through the files and search for the asteroid textures. Then grab the originals and blow them up using something like Waifu2x. (Deep convolutional neural networks (waifu2x), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... algorithms)
I don't like the new textures for them. The old ones had a nice metal-shine to them and the new ones look dirty and unnatural.
oh you just changed contrast and color. I thought they were new textures. The bumbmaps are missing which I guess is the reason that there are no craters on them anymore? But if they are not overwritten, just missing, why are not the old ones used? Anyway I try to remove the new asteroid textures...

BTW, why is there a texture of a small oriental carpet in the mod? xD

EDIT: Removing them was easy with X Editor 2. I think it looks better this way.
I am currently trying to blow the texture up to 2048px. It looks good with waifu2x, but I can only use online website integrations, and the one I used was configured for manga/anime. The other one I could find is currently overloaded.
Edit: Turns out there's a CPU version of Waifu2x.

x3-AmModer
x3

Post by x3-AmModer » Tue, 26. Mar 19, 16:16

BananaMaster wrote:
Tue, 26. Mar 19, 12:47
This is nice, thank you very much! :)

However I think I'll go through the files and search for the asteroid textures. Then grab the originals and blow them up using something like Waifu2x. (Deep convolutional neural networks (waifu2x), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... algorithms)
I don't like the new textures for them. The old ones had a nice metal-shine to them and the new ones look dirty and unnatural.
oh you just changed contrast and color. I thought they were new textures. The bumbmaps are missing which I guess is the reason that there are no craters on them anymore? But if they are not overwritten, just missing, why are not the old ones used? Anyway I try to remove the new asteroid textures...

BTW, why is there a texture of a small oriental carpet in the mod? xD

EDIT: Removing them was easy with X Editor 2. I think it looks better this way.
I am currently trying to blow the texture up to 2048px. It looks good with waifu2x, but I can only use online website integrations, and the one I used was configured for manga/anime. The other one I could find is currently overloaded.
Edit: Turns out there's a CPU version of Waifu2x.

The cat and dat pairs work by considering current files in the cat and dat pair with the highest-numbered. This means I don't have to copy files that I don't want to change again.
The asteroids has craters, I don't know what you mean, could you make some pics of this issue?
You can give them more resolution but with minimal effect in game. This was tested for a month. You get a very little better quality, but you will never see it, only if you will stay very close at the asteroid. The loading of the sectors will be slower, ussage of the RAM bigger. But if you want change something, you can, of course, therefore exist programs like X Editor 2. If you will need help with something, let's write me on my e-mail. :)

Have a nice day...

BananaMaster

Post by BananaMaster » Tue, 26. Mar 19, 16:50

OK I finished it. And you are right. I can see no difference when I am a distance away. :(

Here is a example as to how good the new textures look like after 2x scale. This was a original 256px texture from the asteroids (I think the smallest ones) that is now 512px. The left one has been scaled up using nearest neighbor technique, giving a better result than methods like Lanczos. The right one is scaled up using waifu2x, which results is an amazing quality. It's magic!
Image Image
Incredible!

In game screenshot, original:
https://i.imgur.com/HymzKGp.png

modded:
https://i.imgur.com/Hn1XXwr.png

Note: Only the asteroid is changed. I have not sharpened any images, just scaled them up. I made the mistake and made DDS files from PNG files (though fully compressed), and so the mod is 172 MB big. xD
Quite stupid.

I think for such big things like asteroids the textures should be even bigger. I think I'll make a 4096px version, slightly sharpened, that is way better compressed. Just to waste some time.
Now I have a good workflow, thanks to GIMP and BIMP. It shouldn't take nearly as long as before.

This was my first time making mod for any game. xD

*Pictures greater than 640x480 linked. See forum rules - N8M4R3*
Last edited by N8M4R3 on Tue, 4. Apr 23, 13:44, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: oversized pictures linked

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”