[X3LU] Mayhem 3.21b

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Hector0x
x3tc

Re: [X3LU] Mayhem 3.14d

Post by Hector0x » Sun, 3. Oct 21, 08:28

BigBadBill_87 wrote:
Sat, 2. Oct 21, 20:44
Ok - how damn strong are the zenon capital ships!?
these xenon probably had the point singularity projector :D

you basically have to micro your positioning to try and pick these Z or I off one by one with your entire force at once. They are super strong and there is little room for error. You just can't send a fleet to attack them and must always carfully manage these battles by splitting your fleets to trick collision detection, wait and gather them first, make sure to attack just one side of the xenon turrets and such.

All this only makes it a slog because Mayhem 3 ramps up xenon strength over time. And it goes completely overboard in the final OCV waves :P You basically need to grind for days before you can stand any chance. The NPCs can't help at all. It's only you who is slowly constructing standart ships one by one with resource investment vs. the Xenon who are quickly spawning waves of powerful ships for free. If you don't construct massive fleets ahead they simply overrun the galaxy.

The truth is that most playthroughs never reach the OCV. I mean who really terraforms 10 planets? You get maybe 4 planet boni which are really good, so you get these. The rest is useless and you got no reason to advance further because you know that the OCV taking over all these NPC sectors would make it a huge grind. You need to conquer the entire galaxy first so that you can extinguish any OCV wave in its infancy. So you want to do that first, but it gets boring and then you start a new run.

For slightly more reasonable Xenon you can try M3R.

And soon there should also be a Star Wars M3 where i tried to fix all these pacing issues. It has been made especially for Mayhem newcomers. The Xenon there are MUCH weaker and don't scale up over time. The OCV stage gets triggered earlier, but is also weaker and the factions should survive.

BigBadBill_87
x4

Post by BigBadBill_87 » Sun, 3. Oct 21, 14:18

Hector0x wrote:
Sun, 3. Oct 21, 08:28
BigBadBill_87 wrote:
Sat, 2. Oct 21, 20:44
Ok - how damn strong are the zenon capital ships!?
these xenon probably had the point singularity projector :D

you basically have to micro your positioning to try and pick these Z or I off one by one with your entire force at once. They are super strong and there is little room for error. You just can't send a fleet to attack them and must always carfully manage these battles by splitting your fleets to trick collision detection, wait and gather them first, make sure to attack just one side of the xenon turrets and such.

All this only makes it a slog because Mayhem 3 ramps up xenon strength over time. And it goes completely overboard in the final OCV waves :P You basically need to grind for days before you can stand any chance. The NPCs can't help at all. It's only you who is slowly constructing standart ships one by one with resource investment vs. the Xenon who are quickly spawning waves of powerful ships for free. If you don't construct massive fleets ahead they simply overrun the galaxy.

The truth is that most playthroughs never reach the OCV. I mean who really terraforms 10 planets? You get maybe 4 planet boni which are really good, so you get these. The rest is useless and you got no reason to advance further because you know that the OCV taking over all these NPC sectors would make it a huge grind. You need to conquer the entire galaxy first so that you can extinguish any OCV wave in its infancy. So you want to do that first, but it gets boring and then you start a new run.

For slightly more reasonable Xenon you can try M3R.

And soon there should also be a Star Wars M3 where i tried to fix all these pacing issues. It has been made especially for Mayhem newcomers. The Xenon there are MUCH weaker and don't scale up over time. The OCV stage gets triggered earlier, but is also weaker and the factions should survive.
Perhaps i'll try with the X3R mod next. This was my second playthrough, the first being a few versions ago. I had the game on easy the first time and the Xenon did basically nothing. This time I've tried on medium to see if it made a differance and JFC they are insane. Literally insane! I'd love to hear of anyone managing to complete the game on hard :?

Before i give up is there a decent weapon loadout for capships agains them? A certain laser perhaps? I read swarms of M5 /M4 with no shield to try and overrun the guns laser energy a little and perhaps draw some fire away. a Sort of dogetank cloud distraction, but I feel like i'm missing a decent anti cap ship gun for the M2s

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Sun, 3. Oct 21, 17:34

the swarming tactic has become pretty nerfed after rates of fire got increased for all large lasers. The best you can do is try to attack just 1 xenon ship from from just 1 side and as concentrated as you can. Get everything as close as possible before engaging and prevent that your fast ships like novas launch too early and fly ahead.

BigBadBill_87
x4

Post by BigBadBill_87 » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 08:32

Hector0x wrote:
Sun, 3. Oct 21, 17:34
the swarming tactic has become pretty nerfed after rates of fire got increased for all large lasers. The best you can do is try to attack just 1 xenon ship from from just 1 side and as concentrated as you can. Get everything as close as possible before engaging and prevent that your fast ships like novas launch too early and fly ahead.
I'll bear that in mind then, thank you. I've started an X3R run now so it'll take some time to get back to huntin' Xenon again, but i'm looking forward to some of the changes you have made. Any chance of adding the Terrans in as an NPC faction or are they still out?

dunderhead327
x3ap

Post by dunderhead327 » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 13:59

I very much doubt we'll ever see a Terran faction in Mayhem 3. It would break the back story, and would also remove the justification for having the player terraform planets for Terracorp.

BigBadBill_87
x4

Post by BigBadBill_87 » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 14:17

dunderhead327 wrote:
Mon, 4. Oct 21, 13:59
I very much doubt we'll ever see a Terran faction in Mayhem 3. It would break the back story, and would also remove the justification for having the player terraform planets for Terracorp.
IIRC it's because the Terran ships were too powerful and they steamrolled the other factions. I was thinking of the X3R mod as it differs sp theoretically could be added in again. Be nice to have move flavour. As far as backstory goes who cares, the text just needs changing slightly.

seularts
xr

Post by seularts » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 17:06

BigBadBill_87 wrote:
Mon, 4. Oct 21, 14:17
dunderhead327 wrote:
Mon, 4. Oct 21, 13:59
IIRC it's because the Terran ships were too powerful and they steamrolled the other factions. I was thinking of the X3R mod as it differs sp theoretically could be added in again. Be nice to have move flavour. As far as backstory goes who cares, the text just needs changing slightly.
Personally I just nuke them with M7Ms. I survived a swarm fleet of Xenon with 4 I, 2 Z and 3 C in it and I only had 2 Excaliburs, 1 Boreas and 2 Krakens, and the rest I just supplemented with 10 M6s and a ton of M3s. You can also tell the fleet to focus a ship at a time, that makes it easier as they come in a row usually.
Last edited by seularts on Mon, 4. Oct 21, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

seularts
xr

Post by seularts » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 17:08

Is there a way to prevent the Xenon from transmitting the signal from my sector to call their fleets? Funny enough, I have sectors with 30-40% chance of the signal, yet I got targetted in the one with 6%.

kn0xv1lle
x4

Post by kn0xv1lle » Fri, 8. Oct 21, 19:02

I got a strange bug in Mayhem 3. I destroyed a Pirate Outpost. After destroying some ships seems like theyre stuck. if they want to acclerate there speed always goes back to 1ms. Anyone know how to fix this issue ? Its like they are flying constantly against a wall. It makes no difference if iam in the ship or command them.

seularts
xr

Post by seularts » Sat, 9. Oct 21, 09:48

kn0xv1lle wrote:
Fri, 8. Oct 21, 19:02
I got a strange bug in Mayhem 3. I destroyed a Pirate Outpost. After destroying some ships seems like theyre stuck. if they want to acclerate there speed always goes back to 1ms. Anyone know how to fix this issue ? Its like they are flying constantly against a wall. It makes no difference if iam in the ship or command them.
If you have an Aran maybe you can pick them up and see if they work after you drop them out. If they are smaller ships, you can get smaller carriers! If they still are bugged, you could transport them close to an outpost and give them docking modules so they teleport in and you can recycle them.

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Sat, 6. Nov 21, 17:31

Need advice.

Upgraded my system to a Ryzen 5900 + new mobo, kept the same video card.
Now Mayhem 3 freezes HARD after roughly 1-2 minutes in a new game. I have to log or reboot to get out of it.
Albion Prelude runs fine on the same system for hours.

Tried disabling ALL sound drivers to no avail.
Have the latest nvidia video drivers for my 1070ti
Reinstalled mayhem from scratch twice now.
Tried various compatibility modes etc. Running win10-64
Reinstalled directx.

Not sure what else to try. Can't find any error logs, and no events in the event viewer.
Is there something else I can do to get to the bottom of this?
Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes.

luke79

Post by luke79 » Sat, 6. Nov 21, 18:49

I had similar issues and running the game in windowed mode cleared it up.

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Mon, 8. Nov 21, 00:11

Yea, no luck there for me.

I was hoping to maybe go back to a previous version of Mayhem 3 to have something to play or try, but for the life of me, I don't see a way to get previous revisions of Mayhem 3.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Mon, 8. Nov 21, 09:44

Hairless-Ape wrote:
Mon, 8. Nov 21, 00:11
Yea, no luck there for me.

I was hoping to maybe go back to a previous version of Mayhem 3 to have something to play or try, but for the life of me, I don't see a way to get previous revisions of Mayhem 3.
Which ones?

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Mon, 15. Nov 21, 00:34

bah.. I tried 3.9 and it still locked up tight after only a few minutes. I don't think this is going to solve my problem.
What I'd really like to do is try to get to the bottom of it, but it doesn't create any logs, and I see nothing in the event viewer.
While this is vanilla I'm trying, I've done plenty of script editing in the past to tweak things, so I can understand most of what I see.
I'm thinking I need to maybe figure out how to do some script debugging, but I've not looked into how to do that. Since it locks randomly, I'm afraid there's no way to half-split the issue, but perhaps there is a methodology that works?
Any advice would be appreciated, but otherwise I think I'm screwed. too bad, because I love mayhem.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Mon, 15. Nov 21, 14:28

you need to generate a galaxy through the generator and start the game from it.

If you did so, then the problem lies elsewhere. Try checking the game files.

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Mon, 15. Nov 21, 15:22

Wow, that's like saying "make sure your device is not in the "OFF" position" lol. Well, thanks anyway for trying to help :)
Yes, did all that.
Was hoping there might be some way to tell the game to generate some sort of debug diagnostics. Maybe something there but I'll have to go through 10,000 posts in the modding section of the forums to figure it out :)
Now I'm just reduced to endlessly whining a dull tune everyone has heard before, so I'm done.

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Mon, 15. Nov 21, 18:42

Hairless-Ape wrote:
Mon, 15. Nov 21, 15:22
You probably reinstalled everything multiple times by now. And i know how frustrating this can be. Neither do i know your exact situation nor do i want to lecture you.

But my guess is that you have old scripts from other mods running. I mean why should your system cause a freeze that nobody else seems to have? Then you say things like you're trying outdated versions and want to get a log file, which indicates that you're no stranger to mods and your game folder could be messy from all that modding over the years.

Again, i don't know your methods, but are you 100% sure that the game files that you always start with are actually clean? It wouldn't be the first time that someone claimed that he was using a clean install and later it turned out that he did have other scripts like marine repairs or something and assumed it wouldn't cause any trouble.

Clean reinstall includes:
1) going into your file explorer and manually deleting the entire game folder after deinstalling in Steam. Wipe everything. Don't just assume that Steam finds and deletes every file.
2) use non-Steam exe. There are so many players who don't seem to do this and this only causes issues.
3) always check and disable bonus packs, best before actually redownloading the game

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Mon, 15. Nov 21, 19:05

I never actually completely cleared out the steam version files as you point out, when I copied it to start mayhem 3.
I also haven't checked if the bonus pack is on, as I never turned it on and assumed it would be off by default. Assumptions can be bad.. very bad.
Am using the no-steam 3.3 executable.

Overall, sounds like great advice and I thank you DEARLY for it. :) Will do as you ask and let you know.

Update: Yea, no luck. I'll keep trying some other things. Some other article mentioned how other codec's in the system can affect things so maybe I'll look into that, as I have some custom stuff installed.
Thank you so much for the great advice.

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 19:45

Problem Solved:

With some debugging strategy advice from X2-Illuminatus and a couple hours debugging on my part, I was finally able to close in on the issue.

Basically, 'near' the beginning of the Mayhem 3 game you are offered a mission to pickup a data scanner.
Unfortunately, the code looking to find a station for the player to dock at to complete this mission was in a never-ending loop that expanded it's range to find a dockable station. (Mayhem.PlotDataScanner.Trigger.xml)
What the code didn't realize, was that I generally give myself an M7 to start the game just to make things move along quicker in the early game.
At that early point in the game, when this mission offer occurs, there are NO dockable stations for an M7 :) BINGO!

So, it was looping there indefinitely with no safety check on the loop count. I can't blame it on the code given I cheated. But then again, it certainly wasn't a problem with my installation either. It's just one of those stupid situations where the author can't account for every silly thing an end-user can do when provided with the ability to cheat. This truly is a magnificent mod and the Author has done great work. I sincerely hope he is planning on an expansion so I can both admire and admonish him some more :)

Cheers.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”