[X3LU] Mayhem 3.21b

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Hector0x
x3tc

Re: [X3LU] Mayhem 3.14d

Post by Hector0x » Tue, 17. Aug 21, 18:47

SyntheticGoat wrote:
Mon, 16. Aug 21, 17:37
Avoid major Xenon fleets like the plague. You won't gain much from killing them because they spawn rather quickly. Focus on destroying all their undefended sectors. This is the only way to get rid of them. It's a race of who can conquer more sectors. You + the factions against the Xenon. And you have a very good chance to win that race, because Xenon sectors will go down after destroying just 1 station. Usually they don't even leave any defenders. So you can stay away from their invasion fleets and 'clean up' behind them. Eventually there are no Xenon sectors left and their fleets can be defeated for good.

If you do need to fight a Xenon fleet because they come too close to your territory try to do it when they are still in NPC controlled sectors at your border for massive rep gains and hopefully some fire support. You can seriously immobilize them for many hours by conquering a sector in their path and placing a ton of cheap protein paste factories very far away from each other. If you cannot afford that give these sectors to NPCs as they will build stations fairly quickly which slows down reconquest by the Xenon. You should have enough reputation to do that. In Mayhem 3 you don't need to reach high ranks with the factions. Reputation is mostly just a currency that allows you to expand peacefully. You should spend this currency right now to defeat the Xenon.

If you're desperate you can still unleash a deadly triple combo. Trigger an EMP to drain roughly 70% of a fleet's entire health pool, then use jump beacons to bring your own fleet in at full health, and then activate the Ring of Fire Perk. If you can't stop them with that it's hopeless.

SyntheticGoat
x3ap

Post by SyntheticGoat » Tue, 17. Aug 21, 19:55

Hector0x wrote:
Tue, 17. Aug 21, 18:47

I was actually considering the EMP+ Ring of Fire. I only lack jump beacons for the full combo, unfortunately.
Another roadblock I stumbled upon was the fact that the only passgeways into the Xenon territory are chokes currently being invaded by their main forces. So, if I wanted to clean up from behind, I'd need to let them move forward and swoop behind them.

This is a unique situation and, it being my first Mayhem playthrough, quite memorable.

On a side note, is there a way to downgrade graphics or improve performance somehow else? My game really, crashingly, doesn't like having a lot of ships in one sector and, from videos I watched so far, it's something the playthrough will almost inevitably come to.

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Wed, 18. Aug 21, 09:38

SyntheticGoat wrote:
Tue, 17. Aug 21, 19:55
is there a way to downgrade graphics or improve performance somehow else? My game really, crashingly, doesn't like having a lot of ships in one sector and, from videos I watched so far, it's something the playthrough will almost inevitably come to.
Try low shaders. Looks a bit different, but not necessarily worse. Definitely improved performance for me and now i'm always using them. You could also use the 'no engine trails' option from Joubarbes graphics pack.

But actual crashing would not be solved with better performance. That's something different. The game shouldn't get unstable in large battles. It runs at 3 fps if need be. Crashing was often some script error. It happened a lot during beta. I still get the occasional ctd, but very rarely. When it happens there is always a mining station under attack in my current sector. The game gets choppy and sometimes crashes.

dunderhead327
x3ap

Post by dunderhead327 » Wed, 18. Aug 21, 13:00

You could also try a smaller galaxy, but that obviously means a new game.

Staying out of those busy sectors, especially if there's combat in progress (that's you personally) should also help.

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Thu, 19. Aug 21, 11:50

SyntheticGoat wrote:
Tue, 17. Aug 21, 19:55
To add on performance. I remembered some other tweak i made. Go to your t-file and edit option 282 (extra waiting time between turret firing for Huge Ships). The default is 0. I'm no expert but i believe that this is a performance hog. Without any waits the game tries to process everything at the same time which could be the cause for your crashes in heavy battles. Some time ago i read that even a waiting time of just 1ms queues X3 scripts up so that the CPU is ready to actually process them smoothly.

So i've been using a setting of 10 here. I just reverted this back to the default 0 and tested in an invasion sector. The performance definitely seems to be much worse and after some time in SETA i also got a crash now.

Give this a try.

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Thu, 19. Aug 21, 13:36

The default of the engine is 0. It’s not a real 0, because the turret script has a lot of other waiting points. If you can reproduce the crash, keep your savegame somewhere safe :)

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Thu, 19. Aug 21, 15:49

You're right, that wasn't it. It seems like additional waits are helping framerate, but the crashing can still happen. Its really hard to nail a buggy situation down. Seems to be related to how capships which are currently attacking stations spawn in upon the player entering the sector they are in. It didn't always crash when i reloaded before entering the sector. But now i got a save which is already in the same sector and that crashes consistently after a random time in SETA.

Could it be the movement scripts? The turret-only capship vs. station tactics which are customizable?

Or maybe the sound engine has problems to keep up with your increased rate of fire on some capship lasers? As i can't remember this being a problem in older versions.

Edit: well, it doesn't crash if i reduce rate of fire of their lasers from 44,4 to 1/min. Doesn't have to mean anything, but maybe you overdid it with the Dakka Dakka :lol:

seularts
xr

Post by seularts » Tue, 31. Aug 21, 08:56

I came back after a year to this from 2.9 and I have to say that I do not really enjoy this latest version. I'm not sure if I did anything wrong, but I followed the installation to the letter. All the system names do not match when the galaxy is generated, when I go from one system to another the name on the map is different than the name the voice describes it when I enter it. Then, there are no more Terrans and ATFs :( Those were my favorite factions. And the last thing I can't manage to get working is the transorbital gates addon. They simply do not show up in the game.

I'm not really sold on the new way of starting the game, either. Being given the options to start from scratch with a few select extra assets feels like a step backwards. It was fascinating when you started with your first base and that tutorial sectors where you had to figure out how to get things going. Maybe give the players that option to have the old static galaxy as an alternative start?

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Tue, 31. Aug 21, 09:14

You did something wrong. You need to generate a galaxy and run the game from the generator window.

The game must be in English. To play in another language, additional manipulations with some files are required, in addition to translating scripts and text files.

https://youtu.be/PVqjMrIBAdo

seularts
xr

Post by seularts » Tue, 31. Aug 21, 15:50

alexalsp wrote:
Tue, 31. Aug 21, 09:14
You did something wrong. You need to generate a galaxy and run the game from the generator window.

The game must be in English. To play in another language, additional manipulations with some files are required, in addition to translating scripts and text files.

https://youtu.be/PVqjMrIBAdo
Oh man, I didn't realize I had to run it from the generator window. The main reason I avoided that was that huge delete button that is on top of the run button. Yeah, it works now. Thanks for the tip!

temetvince
x4

Post by temetvince » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 02:05

Found a bug. The client threshold job was never added to the jobs array in Mayhem.ApplyJobPreset.xml, so it wouldn't save when making presets. Added these two lines:

$clientThreshold = table get $job ( 'clientThreshold' )
table set $newJob ( 'clientThreshold' ) = $clientThreshold

and that fixed it.

I have the fix (hosted temporarily for now) and some other mods I've made for Mayhem 3 here: https://github.com/temetvince/mayhem3-mods

I hope this helps. I love your game Joubarbe. It's truly one of the best games I've ever played. Thanks.

BigBadBill_87
x4

Post by BigBadBill_87 » Mon, 6. Sep 21, 15:18

Question

Starting a new game with a fresh install and i have been attacked by some xenon interceptors. Their lasers bypass shield and do hull and shield damage at the same time.

Is this supposed to be the case or did the game break somehow please?

seularts
xr

Post by seularts » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 22:21

https://i.postimg.cc/2jFB2c9T/x3screen00001.jpg

Is this normal for some stations to spawn debris so close to the landing ports? Also, the game says that I should look for a TL to build an outpost in an empty sector. I haven't seen any flying in the game so far.
Last edited by Terre on Fri, 10. Sep 21, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked

djmidex
x4

Post by djmidex » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 08:56

BigBadBill_87 wrote:
Mon, 6. Sep 21, 15:18
Question

Starting a new game with a fresh install and i have been attacked by some xenon interceptors. Their lasers bypass shield and do hull and shield damage at the same time.

Is this supposed to be the case or did the game break somehow please?
These are not xenons but Khaaks and their lasers bypass the shield, yes. They are spawned once in a game, just get rid of em.

djmidex
x4

Post by djmidex » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 08:58

seularts wrote:
Thu, 9. Sep 21, 22:21

Is this normal for some stations to spawn debris so close to the landing ports? Also, the game says that I should look for a TL to build an outpost in an empty sector. I haven't seen any flying in the game so far.
did you check your "property list"? You should get your TL for free as missions starts

seularts
xr

Post by seularts » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 13:43

djmidex wrote:
Fri, 10. Sep 21, 08:58
seularts wrote:
Thu, 9. Sep 21, 22:21

did you check your "property list"? You should get your TL for free as missions starts
Ah I see, I had to finish my ascension to reach that part!

seularts
xr

Post by seularts » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 07:52

I found a bug in the mission "Bait". I got the mission from a Split sector, and I went to do it in the other split sector that the mission directed me to. In the process I lost the Miner that I captured, to the Kha, so I decided to retreat my ships (I was not in the sector while doing this mission) and let the Kha get killed by the NPC Split ships. But I did not look in my journal to see if the mission failed and I got distracted with building my economy. After some many hours I noticed that in my journal the mission was still active but I could not remember which sector I did the mission in since the second part of the missions simply says: "Kill the incoming Kha" without specifying the destination sector. I looked through my message log and eventually found the original mission, but now the Split sectors where I got the mission and the other one where I had to kill the kha were both taken over by the Paranid. So, now I am stuck with the mission as both the original station I took the mission, and the kha ship from the mission destination sector are not present there anymore. I am not sure what made the mission hang up on its objectives or what happened to the kha ships.

My suggestion is that you give the player the ability to cancel the missions also from the console rather than only going back to the original station. And the second part of the mission should also include the name of the sector where the kha have to be killed to avoid any confusion.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by seularts on Tue, 14. Sep 21, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

BigBadBill_87
x4

Post by BigBadBill_87 » Mon, 13. Sep 21, 18:57

I'm pondering a quick sector grab against the xeno-scum Boron next to me, but i can't figure out how to peace out once I'm done attacking. What are the options please? Seems you need to get rep up - but how?

seularts
xr

Post by seularts » Tue, 14. Sep 21, 12:29

I just noticed another problem with the Bait mission. The Kha ships are chasing me and I simply dock at a station to avoid their attacks when I am low oh HP. The problem is that they just freeze on their spot when I do that and they stop fighting back and my wing ship just picks them one by one without taking any damage. I think the scripting is a bit messed up for this mission. It is the only mission that gives me problems so far.

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Tue, 14. Sep 21, 16:06

BigBadBill_87 wrote:
Mon, 13. Sep 21, 18:57
I'm pondering a quick sector grab against the xeno-scum Boron next to me, but i can't figure out how to peace out once I'm done attacking. What are the options please? Seems you need to get rep up - but how?
You get a question with the option to reset your rep back to neutral after the Borons conquer 1 of your sectors. Doesn't matter how much they already hate you or how many sectors they already lost to you. So you can present them a single cheap factory to destroy and get the sector. Then you can be friends again.

The only other common way is to destroy a large fleet of their current enemies in their sectors. This must be Xenon if you don't want to anger any other faction.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”