[X3LU] Mayhem 3.21b

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Hector0x
x3tc

Re: [X3LU] Mayhem 3.14d

Post by Hector0x » Sun, 2. May 21, 13:23

Betelgeuse97 wrote:
Sun, 2. May 21, 11:50
what if the weakened faction doesn't have all the production buildings necessary to build more ships and cannot build for free due to having 4 sectors (since 3 sectors is the maximum for an NPC faction to build for free)?
Corporation traders can still ferry resources between factions which are at war with each other. That's the reason why i usually close most of my factories for NPC traders. Otherwise you can't prevent that your enemies get supplied with your very own hull plating. :)

Thanks for clarification about build times. Maybe the maximum ceiling could be even higher then.

About the player having a very large advantage due to effective ship grouping: i also noticed that this is a huge problem for NPCs in general. Think i got a semi-solution. Will be quite drastic and not everybody will like it. But i think large scale game flow will be better.

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Tue, 4. May 21, 19:32

Hector0x wrote:
Sun, 2. May 21, 13:23
Corporation traders can still ferry resources between factions which are at war with each other.
Also, most small factions I've seen enter a coalition and share resources.

It occurred to me that if specialization boost is tied to losing sectors, then a super-power who owns half the map but gets pushed back, to say 1/4 of the map, would end up with high specialization in a big part of its territory. If specialization was a flat rate based on the number of sectors owned, it would provide a more stable boost to ailing factions.

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Tue, 4. May 21, 19:54

A question about the gateless portals in Mayhem: some large ships collide with something in the portals and die. I think this happened in Litcube's also, but it seems significantly worse in Mayhem. Several large ships are impossible to fly through a portal unless they're perfectly centered. Does anyone know what causes the this invisible collision death in gateless portals? if you want to see what I mean, dock a Pteranodon on the Aran and try to fly through a gate. :(

vince8290
x3ap

Post by vince8290 » Fri, 7. May 21, 10:49

Hi,
I have to go to a crystlal fab so that Niklas can teach me how to jump.
Sadly, said station has been destroyed :( Is there a way around this ?
Thanks

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Wed, 12. May 21, 16:45

A similar thing happened to me, where i completed the Ascension before I stopped in to pick up the scanner. I chose the combat path to Ascension which doesn't require scanning. Apparently, this made the quest to pick up the jump drive never triggered. Someone else may know a work around, but all I could figure was to start a new game. :cry:

There's a cheat menu at the bottom of the Personal Console. I always disabled it to make the interface cleaner, but it may have something that will fix your game.

PersonyPerson
x4

Post by PersonyPerson » Sat, 15. May 21, 15:01

vince8290 wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 10:49
Hi,
I have to go to a crystlal fab so that Niklas can teach me how to jump.
Sadly, said station has been destroyed :( Is there a way around this ?
Thanks
For me, I also waited too long and the station got destroyed. But when I restarted the game (application), it then gave an update that it had moved to a new station (which happened to be one upon which I built).

Don't know the specifics, but perhaps that caused there to be a check to see if the mission station was still alive and if it failed, it would relocate the mission to a new station.

If it isn't due to that, then it should eventually come back further into your game, as it did with mine.

gerokz
x4

Post by gerokz » Sat, 15. May 21, 18:58

HI all!. I am fairly new to Mayham and i am running into some trouble i would love some advice. I am currently a couple days into my second attempt i have 5 sectors and i am just getting to where im pumping out smaller ships at a nice pace. in my previous try and now in this one the Xenon have begun invading sectors at an alaming rate. I have atempted to try and stop the spread but they have a fleet with 2 I's and 2 z's and a huge host of of other ships? is this something i am meant to contend with at this point? I donot even have my first destroyer researched yet. Is there something i have done to trigger them spreading like this? up untill now they just poked out of the sectors here and there. it seem slike the more they take the faster they go also.

Ashakar
x3ap

Post by Ashakar » Sat, 15. May 21, 22:31

I played X3 and litcube years ago. The reasons I stopped playing was due to bad performance during battles. I just upgraded to a really nice rig (11900k, 32gb ram, 3080), my old rig was a 3770k and I want to test out mayhems late game performance in huge battles with a decent sized galaxy. Does anyone have a save game and galaxy that they could upload? The bigger, the better, as I'd like to stress this as much as possible to see what I'm getting myself into.

Also, as I'm about to embark on an epic journey here it seems (right after I finish watching the few hours of tutorials prepared by Darth Fiscus), what do ya'll find are good galaxy size settings?

PersonyPerson
x4

Post by PersonyPerson » Sun, 16. May 21, 01:38

gerokz wrote:
Sat, 15. May 21, 18:58
HI all!. I am fairly new to Mayham and i am running into some trouble i would love some advice. I am currently a couple days into my second attempt i have 5 sectors and i am just getting to where im pumping out smaller ships at a nice pace. in my previous try and now in this one the Xenon have begun invading sectors at an alaming rate. I have atempted to try and stop the spread but they have a fleet with 2 I's and 2 z's and a huge host of of other ships? is this something i am meant to contend with at this point? I donot even have my first destroyer researched yet. Is there something i have done to trigger them spreading like this? up untill now they just poked out of the sectors here and there. it seem slike the more they take the faster they go also.
I am pretty much at a similar point to you, other than I have 7 sectors. I know that their strength tends to scale depending on the number of sectors you have, but the last 2 versions of Mayhem 3 have definitely upped the strength of the Xenon. The only issue I have with it is that it can completely destroy an AI empire's economy and military power despite only occupying a few systems.

As for advice into how to fight the Xenon, I found a post from an experienced mayhem player listed in the spoiler.
Spoiler
Show
Edna wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 22:52
M3s are expensive, M6s are only for crowd control against fighters. M6s are big and can not deal much damage against capitals due to short range and barely being able to dodge anything (except for the glorious Heavy Hydra).

If you are dealing with Xenon and OCV capital ships, a combination of M5s and M2s is the way to win, for the following reasons:

M5s are incredibly cheap. Particle Accelerator Cannons are incredibly cheap, too. Give one of your Outposts the "Dry Dock" perk and whenever you have the materials, just build M5s. Non-stop. 200 M5s on their own can destroy the most dangerous OCV capital ship, but they will have huge losses. However, since 200 M5s are still very cheap, that is acceptable. You don't need to give them shields, just PACs. They will die to any weapon instantly, so no need to waste resources on shields. They are very fast, though, and thus likely to dodge shots. Capital ships will use all turrets of one side to target the same ship, meaning a Capital ship with six turrets per side will waste six turret shots on an M5. Easy math: If a capital ship hits an M5 with 6 shots and destroys it, it's less of a loss for you than an M3 getting hit by 6 shots and destroyed. As such: M5s. They are smaller and faster, so the chances of evasion are higher than for M3s (although thin M3s are good, like the Falcon, the Perseus and the Split ones).

M2s are super expensive, but if you pair them with swarms of M5s, they work wonders. Use them only in long-range combat, meaning 8-10km distance with the respective guns. The Ocelote is an excellent offensive M2. Rather cheap, has 72 turrets and is manouverable enough to get in and out combat quickly. It's the first M2 Dreadnought you want to get yourself and it is a reliable player ship to command in battle. Later, when you have the economy, you can build the mighty Argon Excalibur, which is an extremely tanky M2 dreadnought and excellent for backing your M5s up.

When it comes to OCV and Xenon raiders, you want to build whatever gives you the cheapest-most-DPS. M5s are the damage dealers and dodgers, but if your economy can allow it, you can go for M3s. They are expensive but deal more damage in short time. They are less likely to dodge but more likely to survive one turret volley except for OCV turrets.

Again, M6s are mostly good in the early game, when you need to fight pirate M3s and other M6s. They don't stand a chance against M2s, though and can barely hold up against M7s, so don't use them against bigger ships.
The only addition I would add to that is that M4s and TMs are also not a bad shout for the early/mid game. The M4s are a bit more tanky than M5s, can field more weapons, but still are relatively cost effective. Most of the Xenon you will face are not capital ships (at least to start with). The TMs are there to tank the fire coming from Xenon Ps and do a good job at doing so. They cost around half of that of an M6 while having just as much shielding with a few less weapons. My first battlegroup usually consists of around 40 M4s and ~6 TMs, which is more than enough (if fully equipped) to take out their P and L/LX patrols with minimal losses. But when you start getting Cs, Qs and then I,J,Zs etc, then Edna's strategy becomes more sound.

PersonyPerson
x4

Post by PersonyPerson » Sun, 16. May 21, 02:07

Ashakar wrote:
Sat, 15. May 21, 22:31
I played X3 and litcube years ago. The reasons I stopped playing was due to bad performance during battles. I just upgraded to a really nice rig (11900k, 32gb ram, 3080), my old rig was a 3770k and I want to test out mayhems late game performance in huge battles with a decent sized galaxy. Does anyone have a save game and galaxy that they could upload? The bigger, the better, as I'd like to stress this as much as possible to see what I'm getting myself into.

Also, as I'm about to embark on an epic journey here it seems (right after I finish watching the few hours of tutorials prepared by Darth Fiscus), what do ya'll find are good galaxy size settings?
My favourite settings are:

- Putting the galaxy to max size. (Biggest is always best for me).
- No Fog. Since you are the only one affected by it.
- Galaxy Expansion start at "None". As it feels much more organic and free flowing (for me) for all factions to start at a single sector.
- Dynamic relations for all factions.
- Shattered Galaxy "On". As that makes the galactic geography more unpredictable and can set up some very strategic gameplay.
- Extra Sector Stats "On". As that decreases the time required to get set up, but doesn't make the game too easy as very good sectors are rarely close together and often get annexed by the AI.

Galaxy tends to be sized from ~170 - ~230 sectors, with the above settings in effect.

I have a save that is 2 or so days in, that has all the basic industry and logistics set up, with a group of M4s and TMs, with an incoming Xenon force of Ps and Ls/LXs that you can fight. If you are interested:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Sun, 16. May 21, 02:58

@gerokz: The Xenon are fairly random so you're not supposed to be able to take on one of their fleets early on, but you may have to if they come after one of your sectors.

The Xenon capital ships generally have terrible weapon generators and they're often equipped with power PSPweapons so they suck in a sustained fight in-system. Small ships like M5s are good because the Xenon will drain their weapons and miss. Once their weapon energy is empty, they're pretty close to a sitting duck. I've defeated whole Xenon fleets with a single Pteranodon because it has great generators and can get out of range of their weapons if shields get low.

Out-of-system, a Xenon fleet is more dangerous and probably won't get defeated unless you do it. Their fleets just keep spawning at regular intervals though, so destroying one will only delay their progress a little. I think the number of spawned Xenon fleets is based on how many sectors they control, so you'd be better off blowing up the relatively undefended stations they leave in their wake until you're stronger.

@Ashakar: I don't have a save right now, but I can say with fair certainty that a medium sized galaxy will run smoothly on your PC because its stats are higher than mine. The only lag I've run into is with 10x SETA and when the 'ship bounce' feature is being triggered excessively - specifically when a squadron of fighters is launching or maneuvering through a tangle. The latest version seems pretty well optimized, and is not likely to tax a video card, but it's more CPU intensive than other X3 mods. The slowdown (with 10x SETA) seemed proportional to the number of freighters and factories I had running and got a little worse as I expanded. On 6x SETA, I never noticed any significant lag.

Ashakar
x3ap

Post by Ashakar » Sun, 16. May 21, 11:14

PersonyPerson wrote:
Sun, 16. May 21, 02:07

I have a save that is 2 or so days in, that has all the basic industry and logistics set up, with a group of M4s and TMs, with an incoming Xenon force of Ps and Ls/LXs that you can fight. If you are interested:
Apparently I also need your mayhem_galaxies folder in order to try out your saved game.

I forgot how crazy complicated this game can be. After watching an untold amount of tutorial videos, I finally got my first outpost up and running, and now I'm trying to figure out what factories I should prioritize and what I should just try and trade for in the interim, until I can get another sector or 2 to fill out the supply chain. This is assuming I can get a decent cash flow moving from trade.

PersonyPerson
x4

Post by PersonyPerson » Sun, 16. May 21, 12:08

Ashakar wrote:
Sun, 16. May 21, 11:14
PersonyPerson wrote:
Sun, 16. May 21, 02:07

Apparently I also need your mayhem_galaxies folder in order to try out your saved game.

I forgot how crazy complicated this game can be. After watching an untold amount of tutorial videos, I finally got my first outpost up and running, and now I'm trying to figure out what factories I should prioritize and what I should just try and trade for in the interim, until I can get another sector or 2 to fill out the supply chain. This is assuming I can get a decent cash flow moving from trade.
The galaxy folder is in the link. Just copy the folder "Huggy" (pls don't ask about the name) and then place it in your own "mayhem_galaxies" folder. The galaxy should then appear in your Mayhem Galaxy Generator, which you can then run.

dunderhead327
x3ap

Post by dunderhead327 » Sun, 16. May 21, 13:44

Ashakar wrote:
Sat, 15. May 21, 22:31

Don't forget that Mayhem sits on top of a bunch of DLCs and Mods to X3 Terran Conflict, which came out in 2008. As far as I know, the following is accurate, but some of it is supposition on my part.

The minimum specs on the Steam page (which are still the same for Farnham's Legacy) call for a Pentium IV running Windows XP SP2 - it doesn't (iirc) understand multi-core processors, so clock speed is the primary factor to look for in your CPU.

The recommended spec is 3GB RAM - back in the mists of time there were problems addressing more then that, so it is entirely possible that X3 cannot use the extra RAM. This implies that it will make significant use of the Windows swap file when it is using a lot of assets (as in a large battle), so disk access will also affect performance. Thus, you want both Windows (or at least the swap file) and the game on an SSD if possible.

A modern graphics card probably won't even notice Mayhem, but the system specs still state that on-board graphics is not supported. I suspect that this is simply to avoid shared video RAM cutting into the usable 3GB system RAM, but I don't know whether a separate graphics card is a hard requirement.

TLDR: Overclock your CPU and put Windows and Mayhem on an SSD for best performance. Nothing else really matters.

Ashakar
x3ap

Post by Ashakar » Tue, 18. May 21, 02:46

@PersonyPerson thanks for uploading your save and galaxy. I spawned some ships in for me and combatted that massive xenon threat, made for great pew pew fun that really scratched that itch.

I have no idea what you could realistically do against 2 xenon Is (besides run away) at that point in the game.

By the way, the x3 resurrection mod (texture/graphics/UI skin overhaul) looks pretty good. They have a litcube compatible version, which seems to work without any issues so far, and it's easy to install/uninstall as you're just renumbering the cat files in your addon folder to continue the sequence (the fake patch method).

After coming back from playing some X4, X3 is really starting to show it's age with the GUI and graphics though, even with the resurrection mod. Unfortunately, Egosoft didn't include an in-game script editor, GUI tool editor, or even a galaxy editor, so they kinda shafted the modding community.

If Egosoft would look at themselves more as an engine designer (like unreal, but for space), and gave the modders all the tools and options they needed (and have asked for), then we could have amazing things like an X4 mayhem mod. At this point though, I don't blame the talented modders/scripters for sticking with X3 for a little while longer.

I guess I'll just have to wait another 4-5 years.

On a side note, I'm going to extend the ranges of most of the laser weapons (combat range for capital weapons seems really low). I'm pretty sure most of the combat scripts were all rewritten for Mayhem, I just hope they adjust well (don't have hardcoded ranges). Granted I guess I'll see how it goes, and I'll take a look under the hood of the scripts if things seem wonkey.

kajanov
x4

Post by kajanov » Sat, 22. May 21, 16:47

Hi
So I got back to x3 thanks to FL, which is still quite buggy and found Mayhem. And I'm loving it. :D
Thank you ,thank you, thank you .

I haven't the endurance to go through 10 (only gone through 3)pages that the search for keyword recycle returned so I'm sorry if this has already been addresed.

A small possible isue I found, though it may be intended.
So when you go to recycle a ship at an outpost you get (by default)50% of the resources back.
Is it inteded that if an outpost has 50% specialisation(ship costs are halved) you only get 50% of what the ship would cost to build there?(i.e.25% of base cost)(this is what the GUI says. i haven't checked if you acrually only get so few or if you get 50% of base cost, but I assume they are pulling the values from the same place) Seems to make the recycle and rebuild checkbox inefficient as you would get more resources by not recycling at your(specialised) shipyard.

Sorry if this has already been addressed.

facastefff
x4

Post by facastefff » Wed, 26. May 21, 11:01

kajanov wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 16:47
So I got back to x3 thanks to FL, which is still quite buggy and found Mayhem. And I'm loving it. :D
Thank you ,thank you, thank you .
That's more or less the same route I took. I played FL until it ran out of plot, afterwards it was basically an aimless sandbox just like the old X3s. So I thought back on LU which I played 6-7 years ago and started searching the forums, lo and behold, I found Mayhem! Now I've watched all of Darth Fiscus's Tutorials (some multiple times...) and parts of some let's plays and finally started my own run. After reading a lot of the new encyclopedia entries and playing for some hours I'm not far into the game.
I'm just about to finish my ascension, so I don't even have a sector yet, but I have 4 TS/TP, a small fleet of M3s and found my first M6 (which I have not used yet). My funds range at about 2m (using the transport ships to loot contested sectors and selling the resources turned out to be quite profitable, so maintenance is not (yet) and issue). Hopefully that should be enough to tide me over building my first sector.
And now I found out that you can start a galaxy where every faction only has a single sector. Call me intrigued.
Save to say: I'm hooked.

sigurhel
xr

Post by sigurhel » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 14:48

Plasma Beam Cannons break the Looter script
(can be renamed to Looter script fails as it tries to collect something that has to big Container class for the looter ship)

1) Check the looter in Tortugas retreat as it scans
2) It finds a ware in "the void"
3) tries to fetch it, but fails since it's too big container class for the ship
4) Loop to step 1

I solved the problem by shooting the ware in space, destroying it.

Save file is Mayhem 3-14d, no mods (that I remember oO)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oWW__3 ... sp=sharing

If this script is the same or similar to the universal collector for LU? Maybe that mod has the same problem. Never got that one to really work after I put up laser towers everywhere.

TheVillain
xr

Post by TheVillain » Fri, 4. Jun 21, 02:22

So - just got back into X3 and Mayhem 3 is amazing. Played, XRM, Litcube, and Mayhem 2. This is still a solid contender for best 4X space game.

I've been hunting for a stat sheet on ships, weapons, etc...but they all seem out of date? I'm running the latest build from ModDB and they dont match up.
Anyone have a link to an up to date one, or some suggestions on how to go about exporting the data?
GET SOME

sigurhel
xr

Post by sigurhel » Fri, 4. Jun 21, 09:16

TheVillain wrote:
Fri, 4. Jun 21, 02:22
So - just got back into X3 and Mayhem 3 is amazing. Played, XRM, Litcube, and Mayhem 2. This is still a solid contender for best 4X space game.

I've been hunting for a stat sheet on ships, weapons, etc...but they all seem out of date? I'm running the latest build from ModDB and they dont match up.
Anyone have a link to an up to date one, or some suggestions on how to go about exporting the data?
Available in-game.
Personal Console (you can hot key that) => Compendium: Ships etc. One for each ships, lasers, missiles

The big diff compared to LU regarding ships is that all the Terran / Atf ships have been nerfed into the ground, and some of their weapons too it seems (or other weapons were buffed). No more fleets of Setantas for me :(
MIssiles have been removed from all fighters what I could see. So smacking OCV with a couple of M1s and swarm of Fighters with dumb fire missiles is not on the table anymore.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”