[Resource] Awesomefied Beam Weapons

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

F.A.B.

[Resource] Awesomefied Beam Weapons

Post by F.A.B. » Fri, 4. Nov 11, 17:54

inspired by and dedicated to Laserkraft 3D...
  • [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]
    hi-res textures and animated bodies for the ultimate beamtasticness! (btw, the tri-beam really is a tri-beam ;))

Awesomefied Beam Weapons (mydrive) (user: guest@F.A.B. ; password: public)

jack775544 wrote:It is pretty easy to adapt your own TBullets to make this mod work.
    Here are some instruction I posted a while ago to make this work in vanilla.

To install this mod:
    • Download and install X3 Editor 2.
    • Unpack to the mod to the X3TC directory (even if using AP)
    • Open TBullets using X3 Editor 2.
    • On the side panel select the selected ID as shown below. eg PBC would be "SS_BULLET_PBC"
    • Under the general tab change the attribute in the "Model File" field to the other value shown below eg PBC would be "effects\weapons\bullet_PlasmaBeam" (no quotes)
    • When you are finished changing the models for each bullet save the file as TBullets.pck in

Code: Select all

For X3TC: X3TC directory\types
      For X3AP: X3TC directory\addon\types
      There probably won't be a types directory so make it! Make sure you don't save it over the original copy of TBullets.pck (in the vanilla cat\dat file) If you want to make it a false patch you are more than welcome to but this method is easier for beginners.
    For each weapon the bullet name and new model name are:

Laser: Bullet Name -> Model File
    Plasma Beam Cannon: SS_BULLET_PBC -> effects\weapons\bullet_PlasmaBeam
    Tri-Beam Cannon: SS_BULLET_TRIBEAM -> effects\weapons\bullet_TriBeam
    Fusion Beam Cannon: SS_BULLET_FUSIONBEAM -> effects\weapons\bullet_FusionBeam
    Phased Array Laser Cannon: SS_BULLET_PAL -> effects\weapons\bullet_PhasedArrayLaser
    Alpha Kyon: SS_BULLET_KH_ALPHA -> effects\weapons\bullet_KhAlpha
    Beta Kyon: SS_BULLET_KH_BETA -> effects\weapons\bullet_KhBeta
    Gamma Kyon: SS_BULLET_KH_GAMMA -> effects\weapons\bullet_KhGamma

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
Last edited by F.A.B. on Sun, 29. Jul 12, 04:33, edited 3 times in total.
best,
F.A.B.

garrry34
x3tc

Post by garrry34 » Fri, 4. Nov 11, 20:01

dude that is awesome...
PhenomII X4 940 black edition
8GB DDR2
ATI HD4890
Windows 7 64bit

expnobody

Post by expnobody » Sat, 5. Nov 11, 07:04

0 0
nice

how do you make animated bullet bodies? through animations.txt?

F.A.B.

Post by F.A.B. » Sat, 5. Nov 11, 12:27

no, it's defined within the bodies themselves. the bodies work like a endless conveyor belt and the textures are repeating patterns (they have to be, otherwise this wouldn't work properly). they move from point A to point B (beginning and end of the body) and then start all over again, so that it looks like the "beams" are in motion.

unfortunately this doesn't work all the time. the more beam weapons are firing at the same time the more likely it is that it won't work.
best,
F.A.B.

expnobody

Post by expnobody » Sat, 5. Nov 11, 15:51

F.A.B. wrote:no, it's defined within the bodies themselves. the bodies work like a endless conveyor belt and the textures are repeating patterns (they have to be, otherwise this wouldn't work properly). they move from point A to point B (beginning and end of the body) and then start all over again, so that it looks like the "beams" are in motion.

unfortunately this doesn't work all the time. the more beam weapons are firing at the same time the more likely it is that it won't work.
how do you make the texture move like a conveyor belt? can i see the codes?

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Sat, 5. Nov 11, 16:12

expnobody wrote:
F.A.B. wrote:no, it's defined within the bodies themselves. the bodies work like a endless conveyor belt and the textures are repeating patterns (they have to be, otherwise this wouldn't work properly). they move from point A to point B (beginning and end of the body) and then start all over again, so that it looks like the "beams" are in motion.

how do you make the texture move like a conveyor belt? can i see the codes?
Its just how the game renders beams
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Sat, 5. Nov 11, 18:06

Damn they look amazing, I can feel the fps dropping already :P
In Flames We Trust
Listening to Whitechapel soothes the soul!! :D     ¹ ¤ ¹      But, the nuns are watching...
Samuel Creshal wrote:Keyboards: What separates the men from the boys.
XRM Trailer - XRM Installation Guide Video

Lord Morpheus
x3tc

Post by Lord Morpheus » Sat, 5. Nov 11, 18:51

Hi

I already installed them in my game and yes they do look amazing. Oh and by the way no drop in fps on my machine. Everything runs absolutely smooth ;)

F.A.B.

Post by F.A.B. » Sat, 5. Nov 11, 20:38

here you go...

TexAnimStartU;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.0; TexAnimStartV;SPTYPE_FLOAT;-1.0; TexAnimEndU;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.0; TexAnimEndV;SPTYPE_FLOAT;1.0; TexAnimDuration;SPTYPE_FLOAT;3.0; TexAnimRotation;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.0; TexAnimOriginU;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.5; TexAnimOriginV;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.5;
Jack08 wrote:Its just how the game renders beams
well, no. it has nothing to do with rendering.
best,
F.A.B.

expnobody

Post by expnobody » Sat, 5. Nov 11, 21:40

F.A.B. wrote:here you go...

TexAnimStartU;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.0; TexAnimStartV;SPTYPE_FLOAT;-1.0; TexAnimEndU;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.0; TexAnimEndV;SPTYPE_FLOAT;1.0; TexAnimDuration;SPTYPE_FLOAT;3.0; TexAnimRotation;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.0; TexAnimOriginU;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.5; TexAnimOriginV;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.5;
i can't find any tutorials on TexAnim in forums or even X-Wiki, since you are familiar with it, how exactly this thing works?

say, what's the value TexAnimStartV refers to?
summer time..

F.A.B.

Post by F.A.B. » Sat, 5. Nov 11, 23:57

U and V are the float directions (U is side-to-side, V is forward/backwards), 1.0 and -1.0 define the point from where to begin (1.0 is end of body/right, -1.0 is beginning of body/left). so the above code simply says "float forward!" :)
Last edited by F.A.B. on Sun, 6. Nov 11, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
best,
F.A.B.

expnobody

Post by expnobody » Sun, 6. Nov 11, 00:51

ah, thanks for explaining
but i still dont quite get it

1.0 is the end of body, in the actual model, assume pivot of the model is set to 0,0,0. then 1.0 refers to the +y or -y value? i don't get what do you mean by left or right, because it all depends on where you are looking from.

and what does these stands for?

TexAnimOriginU;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.5; TexAnimOriginV;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.5;
is it for determining where the center of the bitmap is? i see all the models have these entries set to 0.5

Edit: also, i notice your texture is a verticle beam instead of a horizontal beam. so if my beam texture is horizontal, does that mean i have to let the codes say "go side way?" or is it determine by the model's pivot orientation?
summer time..

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Sun, 6. Nov 11, 04:08

What are the other files you have there FAB?

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 6. Nov 11, 08:26

U and V are what are called Texture Co-ordinates and are always relative to the picture/texture not the model. IIRC U maps to X (Texture/Picture Width) and V maps to Y (Texture/Picture Height).

Normally, U and V in the range 0.0 to 1.0 with (0.0, 0.0) refering to the top left of the picture and (1.0, 1.0) refering to the bottom right.

At the model level, at each vertex of a given triangle there will be a U and V co-ordinate and these tell the game how it wants the texture/picture to be painted onto the model.

In the case of animated textures, the game will only be presented with a window to part of the texture each frame as determined by the animation parameters.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

F.A.B.

Post by F.A.B. » Sun, 6. Nov 11, 13:12

roger is right, in general it depends on how you map the body. in this case and from the bodies view it is +y end of body, -y beginning of body and +x right, -x left.
expnobody wrote:and what does these stands for?

TexAnimOriginU;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.5; TexAnimOriginV;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.5;
you know, i have no idea. but it's pretty much standart so i wouldn't change it.
joelR wrote:What are the other files you have there FAB?
on mydrive? well, Black HUD is a black (greyish) recolored hud, Future Ain't Bright is a quite simply race war al plugin that is also featured on the Superbox, Gate Hub Fix is a post 3.1 fix for the hub, HD Game Over Screen is a new texture for the game over screen (containing a .psd to tamper with) and Race Turrets Ship Scenes RC1 is my attempt to bring the Race Turrets - a project in the german forums that started over a year ago, but then almost istantly died again - to the game (it only covers half of all ships so far, so it's not finished yet).
best,
F.A.B.

bymindero

Post by bymindero » Wed, 16. Nov 11, 09:01

These look awsome, but how can i place them in my game?
I made a fake patch with X3 editor, but that didn't do the trick.

I use CMOD4, maybe that's the problem?

garrry34
x3tc

Post by garrry34 » Wed, 16. Nov 11, 12:07

you will need to go into the cmod tbullets and chnge the file path the new effects...
PhenomII X4 940 black edition
8GB DDR2
ATI HD4890
Windows 7 64bit

bymindero

Post by bymindero » Thu, 17. Nov 11, 16:06

Ah, thank you very much, i will try it.

Hellblazer
x3ap

Post by Hellblazer » Tue, 3. Jul 12, 02:43

Wanted to try this out but don't get how to install it.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Tue, 3. Jul 12, 04:18

Hellblazer wrote:Wanted to try this out but don't get how to install it.
You have to mess with tbullets.xml (or was it TXT). I figured it out once but then AP got patched for the friggin chinese and it overwrote my fake patch :) I am contemplating packaging it as a fake patch since then.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”