[HelpFind]NO engine smoke/space dust

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

SakuyaFM
x3ap

Post by SakuyaFM » Sun, 20. Oct 13, 22:22

Necroing because people need to know that the parser is NOT compatible with XRM+AP 3.0 since it doesn't have entries for the new ships. You'll get zzPLACEHOLDER ships all over the place and you can't access the 3.0 ships at all.
#iDOLSPORTS #LoveLive #NicoMaki | ~Unlimited Weeb Works~
StrikerS - Egosoft Forums DiD - http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4168675
Unshackled From the Collective - An XRM Story Playthrough - http://wp.me/p2B7v3-3W

[ external image ]

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Sun, 20. Oct 13, 22:39

SakuyaFM wrote:Necroing because people need to know that the parser is NOT compatible with XRM+AP 3.0 since it doesn't have entries for the new ships. You'll get zzPLACEHOLDER ships all over the place and you can't access the 3.0 ships at all.
Pretty sure that's wrong. You just need to run the parser on the correct tships file (the one updated to 3.0). If you don't, yeah, you'll have issues, but those aren't caused by the parser.

Quite certain the parser doesn't have any entries for any ships - it actually reads the tships file you provide it and does stuff with the data it finds.

Also: I've been using this with the newest version of the XRM mod (plus AP) with zero problems for the past twelve hours, so... yeah. That's not the issue.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Fri, 14. Mar 14, 21:58

Dragging this thread up again to say I have the "zzPLACEHOLDER Hauler" issue after running it as well. The ship I noticed that got replaced was a TP Lance, which also had it's hull reduced to sub 10% in my property menu. The Lance's ship icon changed to the one for TL though it's still listed as a TP. In sector, the ship is invisible and Betty calls it a "Hauler." There are probably others but I didn't have time to check more than my own small Property List.

As stated, I didn't get a chance to look at the rest of the universe, but the rest of my ships looked ok. I ran the .exe with the TShips from the XRM 1.30 low hull pack. It's probably something I missed, I just can't figure what it is. As the poster above said, shouldn't this work independently of what ships are actually in the file being parsed?

Missiles seemed to work (I removed their trails too), but I'll need to mess with them more. Haven't had a chance to look too deeply.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Fri, 14. Mar 14, 23:58

There shouldn't be any problems regardless of mod or tships being parsed, it can function on anything - All it does is read each individual TShip (or relevant file) and set the trails to 0 ( or -1, cant remember exactly ) - which should never break any file, definitely not to the point of it creating zzPLACEHOLDER ships.

I dont think the parser has caused this issue, not unless egosoft have gone and changed the TShips format (which, i doubt it).

Make sure you dont have conflicts with TShips files, make sure that there's only one TShips.txt in your types folder - make sure there is no TShips.pck file in your types folder (created perhaps by the plugin manager)
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Sat, 15. Mar 14, 00:50

I don't use the PM, and I only have one tships from the low hull pack. No pck files in types. Dang I was hoping this would be a simple thing thing. Guess I'll have to change them all by hand. Thanks :)

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Sat, 15. Mar 14, 01:21

builder680 wrote:I don't use the PM, and I only have one tships from the low hull pack. No pck files in types. Dang I was hoping this would be a simple thing thing. Guess I'll have to change them all by hand. Thanks :)
You would just be repeating the same thing the parser already did, and if it is the parsers fault, then you would create the same error - Is it possible you provided the wrong TShips to the parser? Ensure your X3 Editor's VFS is correctly loading all XRM cat/dat files.
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Sat, 15. Mar 14, 01:38

No I am most certainly absolutely using the correct tships. Not sure what the issue is. I might try removing the hull pack and try the tships in xrm proper.

To clarify, it is not a conflict of tships. I'm using vfs and my own eyes to verify which tships I unpack in x3 editor 2. That is not the issue.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Sat, 15. Mar 14, 05:06

Just got home from work and tried a couple things.

What I have found is that extracting TShips to the \types folder is what causes zzPLACEHOLDER ships to appear, at least for my game (and I suspect some others in this thread). Ignoring Jack08's parse executable entirely, I separately tried extracted .txt and packed .cat Tships, with both the Hull Low pack TShips and with the TShips located in the XRM Part 2 .cat. When extracted, I get placeholder ships. When not extracted (left inside the .cat), I'm golden.

It has nothing to do with the .exe that Jack08 created. Sorry to bother you with it.

I am well aware that this is not how things "should" work regarding these files, but since this is in fact what "is" happening, I'm going to try to figure out how to put a .txt file back into a .cat (after I run the .exe on it) and see if that works. I know it's pretty easy, since all the mods here do it, I just haven't done it before. I've only extracted, not re-packaged.

If it works, I'll update this post to reflect that so that others with the same issue might find this info and use it. If it doesn't work, or I can't figure it out, then I'll just do it by hand like mentioned earlier.

In any event, thanks for at least taking a look, Jack08. :)

EDIT: That moment you realize you were SO wrong. Also ignore what I typed above, it's hogwash.

Ok, I'm sorry. I found the issue. It WAS a TShips thing. Jack08 was 100% right. The problem was that it wasn't immediately apparent to me that you could go up a directory inside the .cat file. I did so on accident just clicking around looking at stuff and I saw the "addon" folder with its own \types. The light went on.

Anyone else looking to do this, make sure you extract the TShips from the addon folder within the cat. When looking at the file through VFS I didn't notice that in the path... and when I went back to extract it by right click opening the .cat directly, I just pulled out what I thought was "the" TShips. Don't make that mistake, be sure to get the one in \addon (if you're playing AP, obviously).

Again, to Jack08, my apologies as well as my thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This tool is extremely handy, as I'd also been looking for a quick way to remove missile trails (I think they clutter the combat field).

BlackArchon
xr

Post by BlackArchon » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 13:09

Hi there,

I'm using X3: AP 3.1 with XRM 1.30d and I wanted to get rid of the engine trails. Since this manual here was made for TC and isn't working for AP, this is an updated version:

Instructions:
Step #1:
Get the X3 Editor 2 from Here.

Step #1.1:
If you dont have Python, get Portable Python from Here.
(Make sure you get version '2.7.x.x' as version '3.x.x.x' generates an error on running the script.)

Note: The following steps will be done with Portable Python, if you already have Python, then you should already know how to run a script. :P

Step #2:
After installing the X3Editor2 run the 'X3 Editor 2.exe' and click on 'File', then 'Open'. Then open the .cat file from XRM part2 under your "x3 terran conflice\addon" directory. Caution: if you use a hull pack, you have to open its .cat file because it has priority over XRM part2!
Example: I have .cat/.dat files from 01 to 10 in my addon folder. 01 to 04 are from X3 AP, 05 is from the Complex Cleaner script, 06 is XRM part1, 07 is XRM part2, 08 are the XRM enhanced backgrounds, 09 is the XRM medium hull pack and 10 is the docking computer ware size fix. I have to open 09.cat here because it precedes XRM part2 (07.cat)!

Step #3:
Now a second open dialog appears. At the top you can see "Look in 09.cat" (in my example). Now open 'addon', then 'types' and left-click TShips.pck once. THIS file is the correct one!
Now you have to click on the small black triangle right next to the 'Open' button on the right and choose 'Open catalog in Cat manager'.

Step #4:
Now you left-click on TShips.pck to select it. Then at the top of the window, under the menu, click the 'Extract Files' button.

Step #5:
Click 'Browse' and select where you want to place the TShips file. Staying in the Extract Files screen, make Sure the box next to 'Decompress compressed files' is Checked. Then hit 'Ok'.
you should now have a file called 'TShips.txt' in the folder you selected.

Step #6:
Save Jack08's Python code as 'ParseTFile.py'.
This should be saved in the same folder as your 'TShips.txt' file.

Code: Select all

TFILE = "TShips.txt"
TFILEOUT = "TShips.txt.out"

######### PROCESSING CODE ( Do Not Modify ) #############

import time

F = open(TFILE, "r")
Lines = []

data = F.readline()
while data != "":
    Lines.append(data)
    data = F.readline()

ProcessedLines = []
for Line in Lines:
    if "//" not in Line:
        ProcessedLines.append(Line)

SizeData = 0
Data = []
for Line in ProcessedLines:
    Split = Line.split(";")
    Split.pop()
    if(len(Split) == 2):
        SizeData = Split
    else:
        Data.append(Split)

######### Modify Code ( Modify Here ) #############
for Entry in Data:
    Entry[49] = "0" # WipeTrails

######### PROCESSING CODE ( Do Not Modify ) #############
F.close()
F = open(TFILEOUT, "w")
SizeData = (SizeData[0]+';'+SizeData[1]+';\n')
F.write("//Generated by ParseTFile.py by Jack08\n")
F.write(SizeData)

for Bullet in Data:
    String = ""
    for element in Bullet:
        String += (element+";")
    String += "\n"
    F.write(String)

F.close()
raw_input("Output file \""+TFILEOUT+"\" Written\nProcess Completed\nPress Enter to Exit")
######### PROCESSING CODE ( End ) #############
Step #7:
Extract Portable Python to a folder of your choice.
Then run 'PyScripter-Portable.exe' and in the menu click 'File' - 'Open' or the Open button. Navigate to where you saved 'ParseTFile.py' and click 'Open'.
Now click the 'Run' menu and then 'Run'.
(You can also press the button with the little green arrow on it, or hit 'CTRL-F9'.)
This should have popped up a window saying 'Press Enter to continue' and generated a file called 'TShips.txt.out' in the same folder as your 'Tships.txt' file.

Step #8:
Navigate to your X3AP install folder, normally: 'C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X3 Terran Conflict\addon'
If you have the Steam version, it should be in your Steam directory under '\Steam\SteamApps\common\x3 terran conflict\addon'

Create a new folder called 'types' in your X3AP folder if it doesn't exist yet.
(It should look like so: 'C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X3 Terran Conflict\addon\types' or '\Steam\SteamApps\common\x3 terran conflict\addon\types' for the Steam version)
Place the 'TShips.txt.out' file there and rename it to 'TShips.txt'.

Step #9:
Thats it. Youre done. When you run X3AP with XRM all the ship trails should be gone from the game now.

Tau12us
x3tc

if you have an python 3.1 or above

Post by Tau12us » Fri, 13. Feb 15, 00:42

you can just replace the
'raw_input"
at the bottom of the script with
'input'
both input and raw_input do the same thing in the update versions

Xenon Scout
x3ap

Post by Xenon Scout » Tue, 31. Mar 15, 19:39

I don't know if it's just me but using the script in X3AP seems to make some ship won't spawn, for example after using the script "Terran High Tech Trader" is using the Argon Mammoth but before I used this script it's using a Terran TP (I forgot what's the ship name). even the Terran Command Ship "Lasting Vengeance" is using Argon Mammoth too! O_O

Knurrhahn

Post by Knurrhahn » Sat, 29. Aug 15, 18:19

Thank you for this howto !! It has helped me a ton and finally the game is not lagging anymore!

OtterMan79
x4

Post by OtterMan79 » Mon, 28. Sep 15, 21:45

Following the instructions on the second page (for AP) exactly, and still getting ships with no models, zzPLACEHOLDER ships, and various ships being replaced with Argon Mammoths.

Would I need to start a new game if I started this save with an incorrect TShips file loaded?

ophion
x3tc

Post by ophion » Fri, 17. Feb 17, 20:49

hi everyone been a while

im trying this but i dont understand

shoudnt the tships be removed from the cat....
i placed tschips out renamed to tships.txt in types folder but still have trails

burp...

do the types folders ed have priority over the ones in cats??????

the one instrucioon says create types folder other says Types

help would be apreciated...

:oops:

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 17. Feb 17, 21:37

do the types folders ed have priority over the ones in cats??????

the one instrucioon says create types folder other says Types
Case sensitivity doesn't matter on MS Windows: A folder called "Types" is identical to one named "types". If you're on Linux or Mac though, lower case is advised afaik.

And yes, files in folders take priority over those in catalogs.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

ophion
x3tc

Post by ophion » Fri, 17. Feb 17, 22:53

ok thanks ill keep trying to figure out

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Sat, 18. Feb 17, 12:25

ophion wrote:ok thanks ill keep trying to figure out
If your running AP, did you remember to put it in /addon/types?
[ external image ]
―Farengar Secret-Fire

ophion
x3tc

Post by ophion » Thu, 23. Feb 17, 21:43

thanks jack08 have alot of scripts probarbly some conflict.

ill re install

:? ltr dudes

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Thu, 14. Sep 17, 03:20

I keep getting Mammoths everywhere, despite following these steps. The Terran TLs are Mammoths, the Teladi TLs are Mammoths, the Argon TLs are Mammoths!

Wait, that last one's correct.

THERE'S TOO MANY MAMMOTHS!

Sapiel
x3ap

Re: [HelpFind]NO engine smoke/space dust

Post by Sapiel » Sun, 25. Jul 21, 17:25

Sorry about this necro but I just wanted to give BIG THANKS, because this worked flawlessly. While it seemed difficult at first, turns out it wasn't.

Just know that there are still people (in 2021) out there thankful for your work and existence.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”