[DISCUSSION+REGISTRATION] - MSCI Reference

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

ScRaT_GER
x3tc

Post by ScRaT_GER » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 10:28

Normally, if there is no direct link, than this command isn't documented.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 10:34

Is there a searchable list of MCSI commands anywhere?

I often find myself looking for a command, but do not know which section to check. I search the MCSI Handbook, but that is two games out of date. I can search the individual pages of the MCSI Reference thread, but then I have to search multiple pages every time I want to look something up.

(Which, in my case, happens frequently.) :)

peroxyde
x3tc

Post by peroxyde » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 11:35

apricotslice wrote:Just as a matter of interest, why are there commands in the indexes with no direct link ?
There are direct link. But as Scrat said, and as it's written :
(x ... marks unlinked script commands)
Direct link exist in indexes for documented commands (without mark) or with WiP mark

I often find myself looking for a command, but do not know which section to check.
+1

And another question : should we receive a MP when (and if) we have access to the MCSi forum?
[ external image ]
"On apprend en faisant des erreurs, mais le problème c'est qu'en explosifs, l'erreur est fatale." Aldébaran v10
[ external image ]<-- Clef Des Toilettes Privées Du Forum Français décernée par Thoto le 23/06/07

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 12:24

Access is only for those that will be posting Topics explaining the commands. There is no discussion in that forum. Any questions, suggestions, etc go here.

MFG

Ketraar

peroxyde
x3tc

Post by peroxyde » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 17:52

This is why I applied for registration. ^^
But I can leave the description here, if you prefer :

<RetVar/IF><RefObj> fire missile <Var/Ware> on <Value>

=====================================================

[skip|else] if [not]|while[not]|<no returnvalue>|<RetVar/IF> = <RefObj> fire missile <Var/Ware> on <Value>

[skip|else] if [not]|while [not]| = The possible 'Conditional' statements that can be used with this command.
<no returnvalue>|<RetVar/IF> The possible return of the command
<RefObj> The ship (or variable containing it) which fires the missile
<Var/Ware> missile type (or a variable containing it) which is launched
<Value> Variable containing the targeted object

This command allow a ship to fire a missile on a target.

The Missiles don't need to be installed to be fired, but they need to exist at least in the cargo bay.

Of course, the missile must be compatible with the ship which launch it.

A valid target is needed and, for some missile type, this target must be an ennemy.

The return value if the command fail is null and [TRUE] if it succeed.

------------------

Exemple:

$Target = [playership] -> find nearest enemy ship: max.dist = 5000
$missile = [playership] -> find best missile for target $Target
= [playership] -> fire missile $missile on $Target

-----------------

Note :

Often, the command fails even if all parameters have been checked. (I don't know why)
To force a ship to launch a missile, a while is useful:

$launched = null
while not $launched
|  skip if $Ship -> get volume of ware $missile in cargo bay
|  |   break
|  skip if $Target -> exist
|  |   break
|  $launched = $Ship -> fire missile $missile on $Target
|  = wait 100 ms
end

Command location:

»» Fly Commands
           <RetVar/IF><RefObj> fire missile <Var/Ware> on <Value>
[ external image ]
"On apprend en faisant des erreurs, mais le problème c'est qu'en explosifs, l'erreur est fatale." Aldébaran v10
[ external image ]<-- Clef Des Toilettes Privées Du Forum Français décernée par Thoto le 23/06/07

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 03:00

There's something I feel is missing from the MSCI index.

Not exactly commands, but rather "allowed syntax" that could be used in-game. Message codes and colors included. I have no idea if special characters can be added through the MSCI editor in-game. I never use it.
However, that doesn't mean you can't use special characters.

Syntax is something I'm closely familiar with though, as I'm still programming on my long winded auto-naming plugin.
(Got tired of the whole thing a while back, but it's working very well now - I'll share it soon™).

By syntax I mean crucial stuff such as using square brackets [ ] in a message or name without adding a proper code yields an empty message from "unknown" the same way colors did pre v3.1.

It's something that should be emphasized.
TCAN TC/AP Artificial Life, Menudriven Automated Ship/Station Namer
Spex: i7 4790K@4Ghz 16Gb DDR3 GTX970Strix(4Gb)
X:R 454 Hours. 15 hours unmodded.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 03:06

Orfevs wrote:There's something I feel is missing from the MSCI index.

Not exactly commands, but rather "allowed syntax" that could be used in-game. Message codes and colors included. I have no idea if special characters can be added through the MSCI editor in-game. I never use it.
However, that doesn't mean you can't use special characters.

By syntax I mean crucial stuff such as using square brackets [ ] in a message or name without adding a proper code yields an empty message from "unknown" the same way colors did pre v3.1.

It's something that should be emphasized.
I'd agree with that.

The mechanism for interacting with the t files should be documented and thats part of this, as I've seen colours be changed by using t files.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 12:08

peroxyde wrote:This is why I applied for registration. ^^
Right, guess none of the MSCI Forum mods has seen it yet. Give it some time and I'm sure someone from there will "fix" that.

MFG

Ketraar

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 12:09

I notice none of the wing commands have been done yet.

Please ?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 13:53

peroxyde wrote:This is why I applied for registration. ^^
But I can leave the description here, if you prefer :
I added you to the MSCI group now. Welcome to the team. You should now be able to create and answer topics in the MSCI forum. If that's not yet the case, try to log out and log in again and/or delete your browser's cookies.

If you have any questions feel free to ask in the MSCI forum, here or via PM.
Orfevs wrote:Syntax is something I'm closely familiar with though,...
Sounds like you're volunteering for writing such a syntax article. :) Should I also add you to the group?
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 22:49

I was hoping for a more advisory role, but what the heck. Sign me up!

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 04:35

Orfevs wrote:I was hoping for a more advisory role, but what the heck. Sign me up!
Do or do not, there is no advise. :lol:

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 1. Apr 12, 14:59

I was hoping for a more advisory role, but what the heck. Sign me up!
That's the spirit. :) Welcome to the team.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Sun, 1. Apr 12, 16:09

Thankee!

I'll soon add an article on script and textfile syntax.
Just have get the rough outline down first.

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Mon, 2. Apr 12, 12:36

Not sure how useful my 3+ year old knowledge will be, or how often I'll be around, but sign me up and I'll try to help.

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Tue, 3. Apr 12, 03:36

I need a couple days to polish my plugin so I can release the thing. Once that's done, I'll start on the syntax proper. Already got a rough outline, not fit for view just yet. But the basic root is currently this:

Script
  • Comments
  • Math Operands
  • Binary Operands
  • Colors
  • Message Syntax
  • Pitfalls <- things that break your editor etc.
T Files
  • Comments
  • Colors
  • Characters
  • Codes

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 3. Apr 12, 03:56

@Orfevs

Suggestions :

Can you also add to both those topics, forum conventions, including documentation we keep and conventions we use. ie. we store page 17 numbers used, start numbers used, command slots used, and each modder/scripter has their own documented t file number. etc.

I'd also like to see it mentioned that we never modify t file 0001, we always use our own t file that overwrites or adds into 0001. To get it, go look at the list and select a number that hasnt been used, then get it reserved.

In pitfalls, endless loops would seem worth mentioning and the classic ways of generating them and recognising them.

As would mention of really bad coding techniques and how they are replaced by the good coders here. Not sure thats in your scope or not, but I've seen some classics over time, and the better coding technique was always worth knowing about.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 3. Apr 12, 22:37

eladan wrote:Not sure how useful my 3+ year old knowledge will be, or how often I'll be around, but sign me up and I'll try to help.
Help is always appreciated, so welcome to the team. :)

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Wed, 4. Apr 12, 02:40

@apricotslice
Can you also add to both those topics, forum conventions, including documentation we keep and conventions we use. ie. we store page 17 numbers used, start numbers used, command slots used, and each modder/scripter has their own documented t file number. etc.
If only they could change the blue color..
I'm using a dark background. Hard to see :thumb_down:

"Syntax" won't exactly cover the expanded topic. Short and to the point is the best way. Broad categories gets confusing fast. But coding etiquette can be added to syntax.
So perhaps a separate index topic with 0001 pages would be better.
And btw - Isn't the list of command ID's being updated any more?
I know page 17 isn't among those, but there might be a lot more pages in 0001 to keep an eye on. (edit)So much for what I know. Page 17 is there. Just didn't see it :headbang:
I'd also like to see it mentioned that we never modify t file 0001, we always use our own t file that overwrites or adds into 0001. To get it, go look at the list and select a number that hasnt been used, then get it reserved.
You can do that yourself once we get the index straight. :D Good preface to the ID index. Although, that's not my call. I volunteered for the syntax part.
In pitfalls, endless loops would seem worth mentioning and the classic ways of generating them and recognising them.
As would mention of really bad coding techniques and how they are replaced by the good coders here. Not sure thats in your scope or not, but I've seen some classics over time, and the better coding technique was always worth knowing about.
I know of some pitfalls, but I'm not an expert at crashing the compiler, so I expect others to be pitting in as it were..

Though I'm hoping I don't have to write a "scripting for dummies" entry. I expect the modders here to be at least somewhat familiar with previous modding/programming experience. Even if it is two lines of Basic.

Juggernaut93
x4

Post by Juggernaut93 » Fri, 18. May 12, 11:28

Hi. I wish to register. I'd like to help with translations into Italian... :roll:

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”