[PROGRAM] X Plugin Manager : V1.87 : 2024-01-06

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

keo
xr

Post by keo » Tue, 17. Apr 18, 15:45

Unfortunatelly today i had the bad idea to change language from english to italian back to its original version trying the solution of a mod(military transport for codea) that have no language xml but compressed as pack, so i unpacked and make all the modification to see if i can play it with my own language, after some try the problem was the plugin managar that dont recognize the language switch in game showing its self as read text, so i decided to delete the plugin manager dat from the directory of the game without any success,
so i deleted the plug-in manager dat, ware manager dat from save game directory too without any success,
so i decided to change back to english and still the bug was there,
ofc every time i tried to switch i open and close plugin manager lite so it make a copy of this file in the corrispective directory.
When i decided to use plug-in manager advanced and try if the effect of this decision was right i saw it cancel or deleted all my mod save game leaving only the 2 file from vanilla that i did on the early game .. so i lost 1 week of new XRM game (never used before becouse owner make many version and i was waiting for a stable one and i was playing XTC often).
Can i know why plug in manager delete save and where it put/move? Or are delete definitively? (i think yes my bad)... there should be the option to keep the save backuped not only for vanilla but mod saved game too, or at least i suggest this ...
its very frustrating and I hope this not happening anymore to anyone.
As like the other user I suggest to put in clear, in the first page of this MOD, that this can delete (a know bug i presume) your save game, so before make any modification, backup your saves before try any solution .. would be very appreciate. Ofc I thank you to make the things easyer but this bug its killing everything so pls try to understand. Hope there are a solution for this.

Edit: The read text was: Plug In Manager: Export Data
this was the read text error i had trying to swith from englis to italian as i did before from italian to english without any problem

keo
xr

Post by keo » Tue, 17. Apr 18, 18:40

Cycrow wrote:
who_needs_saves wrote:Add me to the apparently-long list of people this shoddy software has ruined the game for. Yes, it just deleted my save games after saying it had "backed them up". On my first use of it no less.

Cycrow - Allow me to introduce you to the single most basic tenet of software development - NEVER DELETE THE USER'S DATA unless they EXPLICITLY ask you to. It's that simple.

There are none of the professed backups anywhere on my PC unless the PM has renamed them too rather than just "moved" them. Unfortunately I'm on an SSD so standard file-recovery software won't work either.

Given how often this happens I must ask that the first post which has the download links also has a VERY LARGE message warning the user to backup their saves before installating this thing. That or fix the software, but that seems unlikely.

Seeing the sheer number of people who have complained about this in this thread, at this point frankly EgoSoft are practically culpable in the deletions for not warning the users first to make a backup.[/b]
You could of cause, not enable the save game manager, which is disabled by default.
Then it wouldn't even do anything with save games.

the main issue is that windows often diverts the files into its virtual store, which the software doesn't know about. and they end up getting lost

This is what this software should do, save game managar a feature that explicit manager your save game and instead it delete the mod saved game ... why? why dont delete this feature at all if it cant do what is supposed to do?
Afetr year i start a new game and you know in 1 week without sleep for the exicment what a player can do on the X universe and this "feature" just delete my sav file .. I cant understand why ??
And not moved on trash, no, just completly deleted ...
Plugin manager should do what is supposed to do, manager plug in, or at least this is the goal .. why it have something to do with my save file? I just open Plug in manager "Advanced" and close to make effective the language swith setting and nothing else.

EDIT: Today I understand when plugin manager dont close properly it have his task on task manager, kill the process and restart it make plugin manager work properly again, buut the question still remain
Why save manager should delete save instead manage them?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 18. Apr 18, 13:32

The issue with the save game manager is then when it tries to copy the saves, Windows blocks it, and the saves end up disappearing.

Unfortunately it was designed for XP where this wasn't an issue, but later versions of windows have broken it

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Wed, 18. Apr 18, 14:05

You could add an abort check for savegame manager that blocks its logic if windows is blocking the copy function.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 18. Apr 18, 14:10

technically its not actually blocking, but rather diverting it to the virtual store.

this also diverts all file system calls to the virtual store, so the plugin manager doesn't know, and cant detect when this happens.

checking if the file exists returns true, even when the file doesn't exist (because it technically exists in the virtual store)

it needs to be changed to use the appdata folder, rather than the game folder. But i've simply not had any time to do it

keo
xr

Post by keo » Wed, 18. Apr 18, 19:24

Cycrow wrote:technically its not actually blocking, but rather diverting it to the virtual store.

this also diverts all file system calls to the virtual store, so the plugin manager doesn't know, and cant detect when this happens.

checking if the file exists returns true, even when the file doesn't exist (because it technically exists in the virtual store)

it needs to be changed to use the appdata folder, rather than the game folder. But i've simply not had any time to do it

I sugget then to add a warning in the initial post to not use that "feature" or it will delete savegames, anyway thx for explanation hope you find a solution soon. Gl to everyone

eveningztar
xr

Post by eveningztar » Mon, 30. Apr 18, 11:43

Please forgive my broken English, Im not English and will do my best to not ruin your beautiful language completely.Is this software even functional anymore? I have tried to make the plug-in installer work countless times by now, and it will not even start up correctly unlike how I remember it used to when I played my X games a few years back. For some reason I struggle hard with Cycrows installer, can it be that this software is not usable anymore? It refuses to do anything but open my documents folder, and when I direct it to factual XPKs or any files from X-universe games, it can't even see them, they are invisible and it is unwilling to open them. Im sorry if Im writing in the wrong forum or if Im doing any other wrongs, It's not intended to be rude or ignorant, but I would appreciate some help. Just in case, so I won't miss it if anyone does reply, if possible leave also a message in my profile, thank you. And if you know whats worth searching for regarding mods plug-ins aso, pls tell me everything about it. What is still usable and what is not. I love X games, best sims ever, and I refuse to let this game slowly die off, its way too good. Byebye, and "thanks for all the fish" as the enlightened ones among us quickly recognise. Cheers. :? :roll:
God doesn't play dice. Albert Einstein.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 30. Apr 18, 11:49

The issue you are having is that the installer cant automatically find the games you have installed. So you have to manually add them.

You need to point to the game exe (x3tc.exe, x3ap.exe, etc), not the package files.

onces you have set one of the exes, it should open, and you can add others if you need to

Morlunapp
xr

Post by Morlunapp » Sat, 12. May 18, 10:27

I have some problems with the plugin manager.
When I start it (first start), it opens the openfile dialog, I select X3TC.exe and then it does nothing, no new window.
When I look at the task manager, I see the process, eating 17.5MB and no CPU. I tried to wait at least 10min but still nothing happens.

For information, X3 was installed via Gog and I installed the plugin manager in a subdir of the game. On Window$ 10.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 12. May 18, 10:59

try doing to My Documents/Egosoft
delete the pluginmanager.dat, and try to run the plugin manager again, and see if it works

Morlunapp
xr

Post by Morlunapp » Sat, 12. May 18, 11:31

I have no pluginmanager.dat in that directory, only creator.dat. I tried to delete that file and I got a little further. I got the data loading window, but after that, still nothing.

Side note: When I terminate the process with the task manager, there are still other processes left not seen by the manager. One of them can be killed via other tools but one cannot be killed at all and takes 56kB.

Edit: I can't have the data loading window anymore, it does the same as before.

Morlunapp
xr

Post by Morlunapp » Sat, 12. May 18, 11:41

I rebooted my computer, tried again, it still did the dead process thing.
I reinstalled the plugin manager, started the advanced one using the desktop shortcut and somehow it worked.

Thanks for your quick reply and help!

Ethanatorza7

Post by Ethanatorza7 » Sun, 27. May 18, 02:05

Does this work on mac
I like food

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Re: [PROGRAM] Plugin Manager : V1.531 : 11/08/2015

Post by The Q » Sat, 2. Jun 18, 18:43

Cycrow wrote:Click Here For MAC Users Thread
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Darthg_typoon
x3tc

Post by Darthg_typoon » Sun, 10. Jun 18, 19:29

Just wanted to note that I had the same issue like some others previously - after installing and launching it opens the folder directories, and after selecting the x3tc.exe nothing happened. Opening the Advanced Plugin Manager by the desktop shortcut worked, i could choose the x3tc.exe and the Manager started as usual. Weird but whatever, if someone else has this problem this "fix" should do it.

jlmnc

Re: [PROGRAM] Plugin Manager : V1.531 : 11/08/2015

Post by jlmnc » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 22:26

Hello, it appears all the download links are broken. Is there another site where I may download this program? Thank you.

Quinch
xr

Post by Quinch » Sat, 30. Jun 18, 01:47

I wasn't banished to the moon yesterday.

Alacres

Post by Alacres » Fri, 13. Jul 18, 12:06

Hello, Cycrow. I have a little problem here, I wanted to port Terran Maccana from AP to TC ( I have both games installed, GOG War Pack by the way ), but the option Import from VFS won't get past Textures. It imported Scene Models and the rest, but it was stuck on textures for unknown time (approx 9 hours, left it loading overnight). It did open an Argon Discoverer in less than a minute, Nova took longer, but it seems it can't load anything bigger than M3, because even an Argon Centaur wouldn't load. Any suggestions would be much appreciated :) I've installed the game on the D drive so it has all permissions, have 4 separate copies just in case for testing. :D :D
There is always that one fool who rams a Xenon J and forgets to bail out

Ajaxial92
x3ap

Post by Ajaxial92 » Sat, 21. Jul 18, 23:16

Perhaps I'm being a bit stupid but I seem to be having an issue.

I was playing X3AP with Litcube and was running a few scripts and mods. However I wanted to try and play Mayhem without messing up my LU game folder, so I'm running multiple installs now and using no steam exe to allow this.

However now, no matter what, even with the directory set in the correct place and every set up as it was with the default steam install location.

None of the scripts will work ingame, nor will they even show in the hotkeys or script editor menus. They are all enabled and such, am I missing something?

---EDIT---

Okay, fixed the issue.

Seems that the Plugin Manager Advanced refused to actually install them despite what it was saying. It initated the install, said it had done so, and enabled it, but never physically extracted the scripts etc into the folders.

Using Plugin Manager Lite fixed this issue, and could physically see the files being added into the folders as I was installing the plugins.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 23. Jul 18, 18:24

not sure why switching to the lite version would have made a difference, as they are the same program. But the usual reason that files arn't installed is because windows send them to the virtual store instead. Usually down to permissions. Moving the game out of program files or running the plugin manager in admin mode will usually fix this

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”