[software] X3 Editor 2.0.23.0 [10.1.2012]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

doubleshadow
x3

[software] X3 Editor 2.0.23.0 [10.1.2012]

Post by doubleshadow » Fri, 24. Apr 09, 15:54

:arrow: What is it

Software for modifying various game files. If you want to increase ship speed, change in-game text, decompress the game files (catalogs) - it can do it for you.

See list of supported files on on X-Wiki to see what can be opened with X3E2.

:arrow: Download

Last full installation 2.0.23.0 from 10.1.2012 (dd/mm/yyyy)

Note that only latest full installation is listed here. There are usually newer updates available via Internet update.

Get it from x3e2.doubleshadow.wz.cz

or The X Universe mirror

X3E2 requires .NET 3.5. The installer will check for .NET 2.0 but it's not possible to check for 3.5.

As usual, there is a help file which describes the user interface but not the structure of the files you will be editing.

:arrow: Vista with UAC

X3E2 works under Vista 32/64 with or without User Account Priviledge Control. However there is a glitch. X3E2 needs to be able to write to its own instalation directory (how awful!) which is not possible if you have User prviledges and you are trying to write to Program Files directory.
So under Vista, the default installation directory is c:\X3 Editor 2. You may change it, but make sure you are able to write to it. You will receive error during X3E2 shutdown if it cannot write its settings, and you won't be able to perform automatic updates.

:arrow: Developers

X3E2 is written in C# using .NET 3.5. You can use Visual Studio Express 2008 or the full paid version.
There is no documentation yet, but take a look at the TDebugger plugin as an example.
Look at Plugin.cs - that's the interface you must implement. That and a single User Control. Not that hard, is it? ;)
Last edited by doubleshadow on Wed, 11. Jan 12, 10:08, edited 18 times in total.

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Fri, 24. Apr 09, 16:00

I made complete rewrite of X3 Editor.
It's not complete and it's not tested too much but I think it can help you. Or you can give me some feedback.

I would like to thank to a guy who wanted to use x2fd.dll in C# (sorry pal, I don't rememeber your name :shock: ).

After that I realized that I could rewite the whole thing into .NET. Took me some 5 months. Maybe more. Better not to count.

Just note that it's Friday. Friday releases are always bad. But I had to release it no matter what. It was like now or never.
Last edited by doubleshadow on Thu, 14. May 09, 09:36, edited 2 times in total.

spacefueladdict
x3tc

Post by spacefueladdict » Fri, 24. Apr 09, 16:06

I for one will be watdhing this thread closely, i've just finished my mod, and the previous version of the editor was a very great help, Thanks DS :D

EDIT: I'm not a programmer in any way shape or form, are u you open for idea's to improve aspects of the editor over the previous versions? :)
Last edited by spacefueladdict on Fri, 24. Apr 09, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Re: [software] X3 Editor 2.0 [beta]

Post by Carlo the Curious » Fri, 24. Apr 09, 16:09

doubleshadow wrote:Vista with UAC
Wouldn't it be better to write the settings into Documents somewhere, and thus avoid the issue?

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Fri, 24. Apr 09, 16:14

:thumb_up:
I'll give it a test.

edit: You can open duplicate tabs. Also, when pressing open, I get the error "The path is not of a legal form".
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Fri, 24. Apr 09, 16:26

Xenon_Slayer wrote::thumb_up:
I'll give it a test.

edit: You can open duplicate tabs. Also, when pressing open, I get the error "The path is not of a legal form".
Workaround

1 - Set path to the game in the settings
2 - Click "Open from VFS" - not "Open"
3 - Choose some TFile and open it in TEditor or TextViewer

From now on, the plain "Open" will work.

Fixed version is under way...

Duplicate tabs - that's by design. You think I souldn't allowed to open the same file twice?

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Fri, 24. Apr 09, 16:27

Hmm, after opening a single file (through drag and drop) the error didn't occur again when pressing 'open'.

I love the compatible weapons menus. That makes a load of things much easier.

:o You can open the scene files for a visual preview of the object. You legend. :-D

As for duplicate tabs, opening 'configurations' twice is a bit strange. Stuff like that.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Fri, 24. Apr 09, 17:14

If you already installed the 2.0.0 version, click Help->Check for updates and hit the Big Bad Button. It should download the newer version.

If it does not, download the full X3 Editor 2.0.0.1.
Xenon_Slayer wrote:Hmm, after opening a single file (through drag and drop) the error didn't occur again when pressing 'open'.
I didn't think about this way to open a file... :)
I love the compatible weapons menus. That makes a load of things much easier.
One of the things which are easy in .net.
You can open the scene files for a visual preview of the object. You legend.
I am Legend - starring Will Smith, doubleshadow,... ;)

Actually the 3d viewer is pretty alpha - you cannot see anything larger than M6 and it doesn't open all the files.
As for duplicate tabs, opening 'configurations' twice is a bit strange. Stuff like that.
Truth. But complicated to perform. It was much easier to just leave it that way :roll:

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Fri, 24. Apr 09, 17:57

How about combining your efforts with exogenesis and calling up his ModelViewer when the 3D Preview is used? :)

Bertone
x3

Post by Bertone » Sat, 25. Apr 09, 04:02

Welcome back, DS! You're a hero!

:D

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Sat, 25. Apr 09, 10:31

enenra wrote:How about combining your efforts with exogenesis and calling up his ModelViewer when the 3D Preview is used? :)
I wasn't around like a 1 year or so. I have no idea who exogenesis is or how his ModelViewer looks like. The only 3d viewer I'm aware of is "X3 Models 3D Funfair 1.0.1.2".

You will be able to call any external program from the Custom tools menu once I get it working.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Sat, 25. Apr 09, 11:37

@DS

Here is the link to it: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

btw. I can't seem to be able to open the TGates with the X3 Editor. Didn't work with the old one, either.

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Sat, 25. Apr 09, 11:50

enenra wrote:@DS

Here is the link to it: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

btw. I can't seem to be able to open the TGates with the X3 Editor. Didn't work with the old one, either.
I've seen the screenshot already somewhere. Isn't it somehow related to the Funfair's viewer?

About the TGates - there is little you can alter except the scene file, but just to show you how cool the TDebugger is, create new text file called TGates.tdt in the Templates directory in X3E2 installation. Copy the following into the file and save.

Code: Select all

// X3E TDebugger template for TGates ver. 47

parseFlags = TFile;

objectName = id;

structure 
{

value int version;
	value int count;

"gate" {

value string "Model file";
		value int "Picture ID";
		value float "Rotation X";
		value float "Rotation Y";
		value float "Rotation Z";
		value string "Subtype";
		value int "Description";

value string "Scene file";

value int "Volume";
		value int "Relative value";
		value int "Price modifier 1";
		value int "Price modifier 2";
		value int "Size";
		value int "Relative value (player)";
		value int "Minimum notoriety";
		value int "Video ID";
		value int "Skin index";
		value string id "ID";

} repeat;

} // struct
Now open the TGates with TDebugger.

If the debugger will show nothing after you open the TGates file, click File->Open template and choose the template file manually.

Edit:
Carlo the Curious wrote:
doubleshadow wrote:Vista with UAC
Wouldn't it be better to write the settings into Documents somewhere, and thus avoid the issue?
Yes but the issue is with Vista and M$ in the first hand... 99% of settings is stored in your user profile "C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\X3 Editor 2", but there is a reason why some info must be in the installation directory. Not to mention that the automatic internet update simply must be able to overwrite the files. Without triggering Priviledge Escalation. Or maybe its just me running my rusty XP hating everything else... :roll:

Bertone
x3

Post by Bertone » Sun, 26. Apr 09, 06:16

doubleshadow wrote:I've seen the screenshot already somewhere. Isn't it somehow related to the Funfair's viewer?
I think it's the same. In some error windows I've read the "Funfair" word.

:)

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 26. Apr 09, 14:04

Hi,

Gave this new version a try today, looking good however I ran into a problem.

I'm trying to Edit tBullets.txt which has already been extracted. I've been editing it just fine using the older version of the tool, however in 2.0.0.1 I get the following message after Opening tBullets.txt and selecting the T File Editor:

Error opening file ....

File TBullets is not supported.

I tried opening TBullets.pck from within the .cat using 'Open from VFS' but got the same message.

I did successfully open TLasers.txt however.

No big deal as of course this is a beta but thought I'd report it.

Cheers,

Scoob.

draffutt
x4

Post by draffutt » Sun, 26. Apr 09, 17:52

thank you for releasing this. it is a very much an improved update. :thumb_up: hopefully you'll be able to finish this.

by chance will you be planning on including the items i circled in a future update?:
[ external image ]

again thanks for this. :D
None of us is as smart as all of us. ~Ken Blanchard

TC player bug fixes
Reunion player bug fixes

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Sun, 26. Apr 09, 20:53

@DS

draffutt's post reminds me: Any chance that you're going to implement some filters for the lists in, for example, the TFiles? Or even a search-function to quickly find the entry for a particular ship? :)

xTemon
x3tc

Post by xTemon » Mon, 27. Apr 09, 00:38

Really good to see you back doubleshadow :D :thumb_up:

edit: The new site looks nice too 8)
:headbang: Microsoft

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Mon, 27. Apr 09, 08:09

Scoob wrote:Hi,I'm trying to Edit tBullets.txt which has already been extracted....
...after Opening tBullets.txt and selecting the T File Editor:

Error opening file ....

File TBullets is not supported.
Well the message says it all. The file is not yet supported.
enenra & draffutt wrote: draffutt's post reminds me: Any chance that you're going to implement some filters for the lists in, for example, the TFiles? Or even a search-function to quickly find the entry for a particular ship? :)
The chance is quite big. I will probably not make "find" as it's in Notepad (or old X3E), but I want to make adaptive filter where - for TShips - you will be able to set ship ID or name, class, race.. I don't know what else.
xTemon wrote:The new site looks nice too 8)
Finally somebody noticed... Can't you see THIS is what I was waiting for all the time? :D

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Mon, 27. Apr 09, 18:49

@DS

What about an option to filter them after certain stats? And if possible: After the scene / body file paths? :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”