[SCR] Missile Defense Mk2 (v2.28 - 17.12.11)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 22. May 11, 16:36

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
Gazz wrote:Just look into any ".adv" vanilla turret script. They all reference it.
The clean solution to disable this for Mk2 would be to provide your own launcher scripts and attach them to the in-game commands - the same way I did it for Mk2.
That way nothing is overwritten and scripts can be installed / uninstalled separately.
Ok, problem solved (I think - further testing necessary)...
Nope... problem not solve despite patching the relevant scripts.

EDIT: Dug deeper and confirmed it, MD Mk2 (reg) did need to be modified to prevent the single laser shinanagons - plugin.gz.missile.def.mk2.

Now for more testing...
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 22. May 11, 17:27

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:EDIT: Dug deeper and confirmed it, MD Mk2 (reg) did need to be modified to prevent the single laser shinanagons - plugin.gz.missile.def.mk2.
That is not true.
It's a quick an unnecessary hack which screws with the player's ability to install / uninstall scripts selectively.
I can't stop you from doing it, though, so *shrug*
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 22. May 11, 18:46

Gazz wrote:
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:EDIT: Dug deeper and confirmed it, MD Mk2 (reg) did need to be modified to prevent the single laser shinanagons - plugin.gz.missile.def.mk2.
That is not true.
It's a quick an unnecessary hack which screws with the player's ability to install / uninstall scripts selectively.
I can't stop you from doing it, though, so *shrug*
To use the reg version of MD Mk2 AND to stop the single laser problem it *is* required. To do as you suggest would effectivly involve writing a whole new version of MD Mk2 (reg) rather than the simple *tweak* to one of your scripts to avoid the issue entirely.

Don't get me wrong, I am not criticising your implementation but it is necessary to get MD Mk2 to work correctly with EES/CWP.

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

TrixX
x3tc

Post by TrixX » Sun, 22. May 11, 21:19

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:Don't get me wrong, I am not criticising your implementation...
You may not be criticising it but you are missing the point.
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:...but it is necessary to get MD Mk2 to work correctly with EES/CWP.
No it's not. Altering the way EES works to match Gazz's script would make them play nice and not lock the player to using the Roger LS Not Quite Working version of it.
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."
Sir Ken Robinson

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 22. May 11, 21:47

TrixX wrote:
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:Don't get me wrong, I am not criticising your implementation...
You may not be criticising it but you are missing the point.
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:...but it is necessary to get MD Mk2 to work correctly with EES/CWP.
No it's not. Altering the way EES works to match Gazz's script would make them play nice and not lock the player to using the Roger LS Not Quite Working version of it.
Right first off... the tweaks to the base script I am proposing is to basically tell the vanilla weapon switching to take a long run and jump and settle for what-ever weapons are equiped (the vanilla weapon switching algorithms are borked as we all know). That is the only change to get it working with EES. The problem is not with Gazz's script nor EES (or CWP - same issues) but the MCSI command, so avoiding it's use is the only option.

Secondly, I am not missing the point... it is a simple patch to get it to work nicely with EES/CWP and is an low CPU alternative to replacing the hard-coded weapon switching with Gazz's better (and more CPU intensive from what I gather) implementation.

TrixX
x3tc

Post by TrixX » Mon, 23. May 11, 05:31

Ok, I'll keep this simple for you as you have yet again failed to comprehend what others are trying to say.

You are altering someone elses script without permission to do so. You are then expecting others to download your altered version to work with EES (not CWP that's Litcube's business). That is not a solution most people will be happy with. You took EES from Litcube without permission and ran with it. I don't see how this is much different other than you are openly arguing with the original script writer who even gave you a method of fixing your script to play nice with ALL other scripts.

Third the stock weapon switching works absolutely fine when certain parameters are met. We stumbled upon this a while back when weapon testing Alpha 0.5.4. If all weapons of the same type are the same size it chooses the correct weapon for the target about 95% of the time.
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."
Sir Ken Robinson

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 23. May 11, 11:50

TrixX wrote:You are altering someone elses script without permission to do so. You are then expecting others to download your altered version to work with EES (not CWP that's Litcube's business).
The problem is universal to both EES and CWP (both currently follow the same conventions for equipping turrets and only differ on selection criteria) with regards to modifying a script without the author's permission AND expecting others to download it you are way off track (see below).
TrixX wrote:You took EES from Litcube without permission and ran with it. I don't see how this is much different other than you are openly arguing with the original script writer who even gave you a method of fixing your script to play nice with ALL other scripts.
WRT EES as far as I was aware LitCube was ok with it, there have been no objections from LitCube wrt my updates and in fact LitCube has shown positive support for my changes. As LitCube was the original author I can only take that as a form of approval. At the time I released the patches, there was no thread covering EES and my later taking responsibility for the redistributions of EES was purely because I was doing alot of updates to the base scripts (and there was no existing thread for it). As far as I am concerned the baseline concept is still LitCube's Intelectual Property the additions are predominently based on feedback and ideas from the wider community.
TrixX wrote:Third the stock weapon switching works absolutely fine when certain parameters are met. We stumbled upon this a while back when weapon testing Alpha 0.5.4. If all weapons of the same type are the same size it chooses the correct weapon for the target about 95% of the time.
WRT MD Mk2, all I am proposing is a patch (nothing more or less) and for EES/CWP that will avoid the issues with weapon mods. There are known concerns over the stock weapon commands selection commands when used with weapon add-on mods more specifically... I have had issues with ships changing loadouts to one gun and engaging in combat that way without loading additional weapons. This may be fine for missile interception but it messes up ship on ship combat.

I have made the modifications in my local copy of Gazz's (reg) script and have been testing it out before I send it to Gazz for consideration as a lower CPU cost alternative to his by far superior ADV version for those that want to use it with weapon mods and EES/CWP.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Mon, 23. May 11, 17:54

WRT EES as far as I was aware
LitCube was ok with it, there have been no objections from LitCube wrt my updates and in fact LitCube has shown positive support for my changes. As LitCube was the original author I can only take that as a form of approval. At the time I released the patches, there was no thread covering EES and my later taking responsibility for the redistributions of EES was purely because I was doing alot of updates to the base scripts (and there was no existing thread for it). As far as I am concerned the baseline concept is still LitCube's Intelectual Property the additions are predominently based on feedback and ideas from the wider community.
Highlighted in Red is an incorrect fact
Highlighted in Yellow is an incorrect fact that hasn't been publicly announced

Assumptions are bad for ones health
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 23. May 11, 18:05

[OT]
Jack08 wrote:Highlighted in Red is an incorrect fact
Highlighted in Yellow is an incorrect fact that hasn't been publicly announced

Assumptions are bad for ones health
That sounds like a threat, and a direct indication of a personal attack. Rather than you and TrixX continuing this blatant campaign of terror in open forum against me, I think it is up to LitCube to speak for him/her self (in private via PM) if they have an issue.[/OT]

@ Gazz : Please excuse this diversion from your thread's topic, my original point still stands from my testing to date wrt the Regular version. However, I am looking to investigate your ADV version and the relative performance impact on my game. I am hoping it is going to be good enough.

TrixX
x3tc

Post by TrixX » Mon, 23. May 11, 18:25

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:[OT]That sounds like a threat, and a direct indication of a personal attack. Rather than you and TrixX continuing this blatant campaign of terror in open forum against me, I think it is up to LitCube to speak for him/her self (in private via PM) if they have an issue.[/OT]
Campaign of Terror :o

TERROAR TERROAR TERROAR :twisted:

Since when were you on Obama's military staff? The spin you are placing on this is akin to that of a $million political campaign :lol:

Apologies for the derail Gazz, but I must agree with Gazz's solution rather than yours Roger as at the end of the day it gives compliance without needing to download modified versions of exactly the same script.
Sir Ken Robinson

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 23. May 11, 18:43

[OT]
TrixX wrote:Since when were you on Obama's military staff? The spin you are placing on this is akin to that of a $million political campaign
Your are not funny, and your insults are getting beyond a joke now. You call it spin, it is the down right blatant obvious truth... as seems evident from your persisting comment on it in open forum. I have tried to divert this discussion to PM. Enough is Enough![/OT]

WRT Gazz's implementation there is no direct issue, my proposed idea is merely a low CPU load alternative to the ADV for the cases where the vanilla weapon swapping is truely borked.

The main reason for my interest is someone's recommendation, but what I was unaware of till earlier today is that they were using the ADV version (somthing I was resisting due to concerns about added script loading).

TrixX
x3tc

Post by TrixX » Mon, 23. May 11, 18:53

Check your PM's, BTW that wasn't and insult above, you were calling wolf at a rabbit.
Sir Ken Robinson

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 23. May 11, 20:56

[OT]
TrixX wrote:Check your PM's, BTW that wasn't and insult above, you were calling wolf at a rabbit.
Maybe not, but in the context of previous posts and personal observations it was perceived as such.[/OT]

For further information on what the primary trigger for the MCSI Weapon Swapping issues see this post by LitCube. Before that post it was not a known issue to me.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 31. May 11, 17:37

Version 2.25 released.

There is only one scriptversion now.
The desired degree of lasery switchiness is assigned with an AL Plugin.

This can also disable MD Mk2 in case you'd like to get hit with missiles more often.

Also a required compatibility upgrade for OOSR v2.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Mizuchi

Post by Mizuchi » Tue, 31. May 11, 17:44

So will this be automagically included with a new (slight) MARS revision, or...?

How might one go about installing it with MARS already installed, given that MARS includes it? :)

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 31. May 11, 17:49

Well, that's a tough one.
Now you have to decide if you'd rather download this one or download MARS and get the same thing as part of the deal.
Or you choose door 3 and download and install them both.
Choices, choices...

Mizuchi

Post by Mizuchi » Tue, 31. May 11, 18:03

Well, what I meant was: will this just copy over the top of what comes with MARS without causing anything to fall-over-go-boom (except what the turrets shoot at, natch)? :3

I guess my answer is buried within your previous flappancy, anyhow. :D

garrry34
x3tc

Post by garrry34 » Tue, 31. May 11, 18:12

gazz is it just the one version now, went to your download page and the adv comes up with a 404 error?
PhenomII X4 940 black edition
8GB DDR2
ATI HD4890
Windows 7 64bit

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 31. May 11, 18:13

Flippant flappancy or not - as long as you download it from my site, there is no old version.

garrry34
x3tc

Post by garrry34 » Tue, 31. May 11, 18:18

sorry was that reponse to me, so do i just use the one that downloads? because I love the weapon switching...

...ok sorry total brain fart there, just read the post about the new version, sorry...
PhenomII X4 940 black edition
8GB DDR2
ATI HD4890
Windows 7 64bit

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”