S9ilent's Vocal Control *29/03/2015*

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Svarr
xr

Post by Svarr » Mon, 5. Nov 12, 19:33

Thank you very much s9ilent! :)

I just want to let you know, that I'm also highly interested in your mod. I cant wait to use it! :D

SwordShaman
x4

Post by SwordShaman » Wed, 12. Dec 12, 22:44

I am as well! This sounds like it'd be great for immersion. The only reason I haven't tried it out prior is because of the current Win7 incompatibility.

Please continue progress on the mod if you can allow time for it in your schedule. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Svarr
xr

Post by Svarr » Wed, 9. Jan 13, 18:44

Hey s9ilent, any news?

Shrewd135

Post by Shrewd135 » Mon, 14. Jan 13, 07:12

Ender_Xenocide wrote:In case you can't get this working for Windows 7, I thought this suggestion worth mentioning.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned WSR Macros (Downladable from Micrsoft.com) as a good alternative. I looked into it and I think it's great; you can fully customize commands & you can use it with WSR turned off, so you don't send involuntary commands to your OS. The problem? It's impossible to DL anything from ms.com even with my (legit) OS, because their windows validation sucks.

Anyone else having this problem?
I got past the whole validation thing and it is working now with X3AP.

Let me give a full description of what this is about... So I am working on Windows Vista... and am using the built in Microsoft Speech recognition software, as well as the WSR Macros... as state above it is a seperate free download from microsoft. Just do their validation thing and it should work, you have to refresh the page afterwards to see the new link.

Anyway back to X. I am on X3AP... and finally got the voice commands working. The key is that when the speech recognition engine is up and running, that I used the macros for keypresses.. so I added in a macro that says "computer show commands" which "Press c" and it works fine. It appears That when the macro runs it allows the emulation while for some reason the standard speech recognition "Press c" does not work. I have tried "press charlie" which is easier to get it to recognize for the correct command and it still does not work... but when used under the macro engine... it works fine.

I will work with this a bit more to see if I can figure out why its so tricky.

DreadPirateLynx

Post by DreadPirateLynx » Thu, 28. Nov 13, 01:49

Hey everyone! I just wanted to let everyone know that I've been messaging with S9ilent and I will be picking up this project and continuing from where he left off. Why pick it back up when the post above mine says that WSR Macros works just fine? Well, WSR Macros is all well and good if all you want to do is use your voice for keypresses, but if you actually want your macro to be able to run game scripts directly, it becomes much more complicated, and nowhere near user friendly enough to be considered a proper voice command solution.

That said, don't get too excited just yet. I just downloaded the source and haven't had a chance to look it over yet, but according to S9ilent it isn't exactly in the best state at the moment. Additionally my programming experience is limited at best (with VERY little C# knowledge). These factors combined mean it will most likely be some time before an updated version is posted, but it WILL be posted eventually. I will most likely end up renaming the project and starting a new thread (giving all due credit to S9ilent of course), so keep your eyes peeled for it. Although at this point I have absolutely no idea how long it will take to get the next version ready, I plan on shooting for the beginning of spring 2014 at the latest.

So what features do I plan on adding?

Albion Prelude support
The primary reason I initially wanted to see this project continue to be developed. This will be the first thing I work on and an update will be released as soon as this is working. TC will continue to be supported.

Support for building the grammar file from multiple xml sources
One of the reasons I believe this mod hasn't been especially popular is due to the amount of work it takes to add and remove large groups of commands (if you install/uninstall a new mod for example). This feature will allow for the grammar file to be customized by adding/removing entire xml files instead of having to go in and remove or comment out individual commands manually. This will allow users to easily download and install grammar definitions that have been tailored to the specific mods that they use.

Grammar Definitions and required scripts archived into a single package
Anyone that has used this mod has seen that in order for a command to call a game script directly (as apposed to through a keypress), it must first call a script unique to the command. This means that getting a group of commands to work the way you want can sometimes mean writing many additional individual scripts. This functionality is once again intended to make managing the installation/uninstallation of groups of commands tailored to a specific mod easier by packing all the required files together in a manner similar to .spk files.

Additional Functionality for the Grammar Compiler
The changes to the way grammar definitions and scripts will be handled mean that the Grammar Compiler will require some additional functionality. Look forward to the ability to open, edit and save grammar definitions individually, both from an xml or from within a package. A package creation tool will also be included for those of you looking to create your own packages.

Pick and choose which packages to load.
With all the changes designed to streamline the process of managing all your commands for all your mods, it would be silly to not include a way for the user to choose which packages to load within the GUI itself. Expect to be able to install/uninstall/load/unload individual packages at will much like with the X Plugin Manager

It's my belief that these end-user ease of use changes will encourage modders/scripters to include support for the SVC with their mods. Even if a modder does not create an SVC package him/herself, these changes will make it much easier for a user to create one and distribute it. It is my hope that all of this combined will allow the SVC to take it's rightful place as a core mod for many users.

--DreadPirateLynx

P.S Before you ask: I don't have any immediate plans to expand the SVC to support Rebirth as I don't own it, and my computer can't run it. Plus with the changes to the way scripting works in Rebirth, I'm not even sure if it CAN be made compatible without completely rewriting it. If I ever get a computer capable of running Rebirth, and no one else has begun a similar project, I will most assuredly get to work on it, but don't hold your breath.

Svarr
xr

Post by Svarr » Thu, 28. Nov 13, 18:43

Wow! After all these years :o

Awesome news! :D Looking forward indeed.

DreadPirateLynx

Post by DreadPirateLynx » Sat, 30. Nov 13, 01:05

One thing I forgot to mention for those of you waiting for the Win7 compatibility issues to be fixed before trying it: go ahead and try it out right now. I'm running Win7 Home Basic 32bit and the file version linked in the OP is working for me. Just make sure your windows speech recognition is up and running first.

Phier
x3tc

Post by Phier » Sat, 30. Nov 13, 05:44

I use a paid program called VAC (voice activated commands). You can set up ANY keys with it and its frankly worth the 20 bucks (at least when I bought it).

I say "wing attack my target" and it does.
I say "view on right screen" and it opens the screen on the right
I say "Dock at my target" and my wing does
I say "galaxy map" and it comes up.
I say "full repair" and the repair laser comes up and remains fired.

etc etc.

It works with any program out there which makes it so nice. I have VAC commands for M&B warband, for skyrim, for the X3 games etc.

DreadPirateLynx

Post by DreadPirateLynx » Sat, 30. Nov 13, 10:11

Phier wrote:I use a paid program called VAC (voice activated commands). You can set up ANY keys with it and its frankly worth the 20 bucks (at least when I bought it).

I say "wing attack my target" and it does.
I say "view on right screen" and it opens the screen on the right
I say "Dock at my target" and my wing does
I say "galaxy map" and it comes up.
I say "full repair" and the repair laser comes up and remains fired.

etc etc.

It works with any program out there which makes it so nice. I have VAC commands for M&B warband, for skyrim, for the X3 games etc.
True, but what I said about WSR Macros applies equally to VAC (and all other generic voice command programs I've seen). They are only able to use voice commands to perform actions that are accessible through one or more key presses. SVC is able to call game scripts DIRECTLY (well, not exactly directly, but close enough), meaning that it can perform actions without having to send a single keystroke to the game.

This may sound trivial, but if a command requires a series of key presses that opens a menu and then navigates through options to pick the one you want, even if it takes less than a second to complete, that's still time that you're not in control of your ship. The more rapidly you fire off commands, the less time you spend flying, and that could well get you killed. You could go through and use the scripting engine to set up single hotkeys for all those scripts, but that can quickly become a complicated mess as you only have so many keys on your keyboard to work with, and many of them are already in use.

If all you want is just basic functionality, then yes, any of the popular generic gaming voice command programs will do the trick. If you want something with more power and versatility, that's where SVC comes in.

Phier
x3tc

Post by Phier » Sat, 30. Nov 13, 21:38

I suffered from "didn't read the whole thread" syndrome. I thought this was a dead project and was offering an alternative.

You are correct in that calling up scripts like that would be nice. I do use much "deeper" commands in other games, mostly because the system allows it better. You can program vac to do multiple key presses and set the timing to account for things like lag and menu response time. It works very nicely for Warband. The menu system of X3 though is less readily set up for that sort of thing.

So sorry again, my mistake.

DreadPirateLynx

Post by DreadPirateLynx » Sun, 1. Dec 13, 00:07

Phier wrote:I suffered from "didn't read the whole thread" syndrome. I thought this was a dead project and was offering an alternative
No worries. I'm sure we've all been there done that.

After looking through some of the code for SVC I realized that it only checks for X3TC.exe in the target directory, but doesn't actually need it to be there for the program to work. After testing I can confirm that the version in the OP works with AP if you point it to your addons folder. It will give you an error message that says: "Could not locate the game or steam path in the registry. Please type in the path manually.", but will still let you start recognition without changing the path. If the error message bugs you, you can always put a copy of X3TC.exe in your addons folder to trick it into shutting up. Keep in mind though that the commands that are included have been written for TC so any new features in AP haven't been implemented.

EDIT: I'll still work on getting it to support AP without this little workaround, but at least for the time being it's working.

s9ilent
x4

Post by s9ilent » Sat, 28. Mar 15, 23:01

Hey everyone, I know its been a while

I've finally updated the program to address a few issues, please see the original post for a new download link (and the change log at the bottom of that post)

Please note this is just a minor patch to address the issues mentioned

Svarr
xr

Post by Svarr » Sun, 29. Mar 15, 17:05

Awesome! :D
I honestly didn't think there would be an update.

CRZgatecrusher
x3fl

Re: S9ilent's Vocal Control *29/03/2015*

Post by CRZgatecrusher » Wed, 28. Sep 22, 04:56

sorry to reply on this dead thread but I have to ask, does anyone have a working copy of this script? because I unfortunately cannot download it any more. My old copy has been unusable for some time and I would like to use this script.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: S9ilent's Vocal Control *29/03/2015*

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 4. Oct 22, 20:06

Available on xdownloads:
[ external image ]
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”