[SCR] Ring of Fire - Stealth Lasertowers (v2.31 - 29.11.09)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

rbettele
x2

Post by rbettele » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 19:34

i have dude - foe for pirates and same in global, but like I say. I deploy cloaked and it ignores pirates, reload same save and deploy UNcloaked and it shoots em with no other changes !? :?

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Thu, 21. Oct 10, 14:24

I have the same issues with this script... But you need to remember that this was created for Reunion, and had to deal with some anoyances Reunion had.

I have tweaked it for TC and in reallity it's very simple to get a functional RoF that takes advantages of some of the critical changes on the GUI TC brang.

Here goes the step by step instructions on how to "hack" the current version (231) to get some better control on the Turrets while waiting to Gazz to have time to revise this nice script:

- Use the Script Editor and open the script "plugin.ring.of.fire.stealth"

- Comment the following lines:

Code: Select all

0198    * [THIS]->set owner race to $Alt.race
0213    * gosub Update.Friend.Foe.Settings
- Save the changes

- Use Script Editor and open the script "setup.ring.of.fire"

- Edit Version to a number higher than 231.

- Save the changes

- Reinit Script Cache.

- You will start getting "Lasertower software upgraded" messages.

- Open your Property Menu and on Options set to Yes "Show Ships of type Other".

- Then you will see on your ship Tab, slowly, ALL cloaked LT appearing.

- Wait until ALL the LT are there (ie all have changed property from Goner to Player)

- Use Script Editor and open the script "setup.ring.of.fire"

- Change back the version to 231.

- Save the Changes.

- Reinit script cache.

- Save the game.

- Continue playing as normal.

This way you will get all your LT visible if you want (Option "Ship type Oher") on your Property menu (But you keep the very nice feature of NOT having to see them on your sector listings unless they are actively attacking). This way:

- You can manualy set FF relations of specific Rings.

- You can alter how all your Rings FF perceive other races using the global settings (Warning, just changing will trigger the update, you don't even need to "broadcast it").

OFC, this is a dirty "patch" while we wait to Gazz to get some spare time (A luxury for all scripters/modders :)) to adapt this script to take advantage of TC-only features.

If you dont want to mess with the script editor, just forget about the above modifications, but remember that the way Gazz programmed the Cloak mode it works on Notoriety (Which is how that race perceives you) and not on your Global Settings (That it's how YOU want your properties to perceive the other races).

EDIT: Notice that the above changes WILL INVALIDATE this script for using it on Reunion.

Shuraalex
xr

Post by Shuraalex » Tue, 14. Dec 10, 00:23

*ragamer

Unfortunatly your help didnt do anything for me :(

When i was in the system i did all the instructions and "Hacked" it and it started working perfectly fine, i was very happy for a moment, later in the game couple of hours ago i was persuited by a bunch of pirates so i decided to fly to my nearby sectors protected by the ring of fire under stealth, since i thought that it was working i didnt give it a second thought..

unfortunatly opon arriaval and waiting for the lasers to appear the pirates had enough time to shoot me down and my astronaut.. ( I still had hope that the lasers start appearing, they did not :( )

After that i loaded to a pervious save thinking that i somehow misplaced the lasers and they were in a diffrent place, i uncloaked all lasers and they were IN Fact at that gate where i died

Also i still dont have them in my property list :(
Oh and as someone mentioned in the previous reply that the Lasertowers got scattered, well it happend to me after i decloaked them and jumped in with my Colossus in the sector. Maybe that helps fixing the problem
the lasers were at 1800 m radius :)

Edit:

Also instead of commenting on the 0198 line i simply changed the "$AltRace = Goner ..." to Player
So it should techincally be in my Property List, although it isnt, even after i Decloak and Cloak the Lasers again.. sad :(

Anyway.. It seems that the script doesnt want to attack the Pirates when cloaked, here are some test screens i did to show at what attributes the script malfunctions :

Here is when i added a Pirate Caravel right infront of the Cloaked Turrets
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm21 ... n00025.jpg

Here is when i added a Xenon Ship near the Pirate one, as you can see the Turrets started decloaking and destroyed both ships in matter of seconds
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm21 ... n00027.jpg

Here's a small suggestion of sorts, atleast for me
Can anyone or the author edit the scrip slightly so that the pirates ( Only pirates ) would be hostile no matter what ( while cloaked )
So that the turrets uncloak when they see pirates like they do with Xenon

And send the new version to me via a Private Message or upload it here in this topic, although i think that would requier author permission..
Last edited by Shuraalex on Tue, 14. Dec 10, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

Shuraalex
xr

Post by Shuraalex » Tue, 14. Dec 10, 11:16

1.Bumping the thread for any scripters to help me out

I did some digging around the script edditor (having very poor knowledge of it,but none the less)
And it seems that the script works fine with setting Pirates as Hostiles

hmm or atleast when i tried to change

append Pirates to array check.race.arr 
In the which as i understood governs the "$Hostiles" if Array is less then 0
In the Update.Friend.Foe.settings

Which is used in Scanning for Enemies, and if it IS hostile then it redirects Action to plugin.ring.of.fire.attack

Also it governs the uncloak script in plugin.ring.of.fire.stealh
If hostile it starts script : Uncloak
Which starts the proceedure to uncloak the laser tower and Send the Raceowner to Player.

Anyway back to the topic, as i tried changing Hostile Settings for Pirates to instead of checking the race arr for : "< 0 >" settings, to Hostiles,
Which should enable the plugin.ring.of.fire.attack,
Which also should start the script decloak since it has settings :
gosup Update.Friend.Foe.Settings.

Note: What i changed exactly is :

0131: append Pirates to array $Hostiles

From "append pirates to array $check.race.arr"

Thus in the end uncloaking when preformed Scan script (which used the New/Changed Update.Friend.Foe.Setting)
And the append Pirates to array $Hostiles

Atleast in Theory ( mine ofcourse :) )

People who know anything about Scripting, Please I ask you to help me!

I'm tierd of loosing Transports in my goddamn sector because those goddamn pirates enter it without any problem... also i cant afford fleets at the moment to protect my self since i spend all my money on Stations to get my Income, currently i already have Microchip Station and LT Factory

So It explains the fact that i can afford LT's and not fleets :)

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 14. Dec 10, 16:26

The code changes in the two JPGs (apparently deleted now?) appear to be gibberish.
Either that or it's way beyond me.

What you should do instead is run the $hostiles check normally, then if it returns null,
check for a pirate ship with [find.force.use.pos] as the only flag.

Sometimes pirates are bugged and don't appear properly hostile. It's an X3 thing where trying to find them as "normal" hostiles can fail.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MarioBr0

Post by MarioBr0 » Wed, 12. Jan 11, 12:50

hiay's,

i used this script on x3r and on x3tc. and i always concidered it (for my own game) as one of the most inportant non-egosoft-scripts. oh i just love it...

the only problem i experienced with it was that i would loose track of what gates i DID put a ring on and what gates i did NOT YET put a ring on...

BUT that would be one of my smallest concerns..., now with the new Xtended-terranconflict release of a vew weeks ago, i cannot propperly defend my sectors anymore at all. XTC-developers say they changed so much of the egosoft gamefiles that all existing scripts are by default not compatible anymore.

so to get to my question, dear GAZZ... do you think there would be any chance there might one day be released a XTC-compatible version of this one? i saw you say you need attending to other projects, but then that was in 2006... and who knows maybe your as big XTC-fan as i am and might see value in making it compatible. one of my wettest dream would forfill ^^

The only other option i see is to ask XTC-developers to introduce ring.of.fire into the XTC-mod (witch i will do in a vew minutes) but i think they will endup telling me they are to busy themselves... and besides i am not sure if they can just do that... probbably you would have to allow them to adopt it or other 'legal'-issues. but ill ask anyway, asking doesnt hurt they say.

One more important thing, for if you 'actually would' make a XTC-ring.of.fire script, the XTC 1.0 (+1.1 bugfix) releases ARE prereleased versions of the mod, featuring only some of the XTC-features. The complete mod is still underconstruction and will be released as XTC 2.0... they also say stuff like save-games of XTC 1.1 wil not be compatible (due to mayor changes i guess). so i guess IF you would make a XTC compatible version of your script it would probbably make sence not to do so before XTC 2.0 will be released.

hmm yea. with regards

Mario

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 12. Jan 11, 16:26

MarioBr0 wrote:the only problem i experienced with it was that i would loose track of what gates i DID put a ring on and what gates i did NOT YET put a ring on...
There is a feature to decloak all LT...
BUT that would be one of my smallest concerns..., now with the new Xtended-terranconflict release of a vew weeks ago, i cannot propperly defend my sectors anymore at all. XTC-developers say they changed so much of the egosoft gamefiles that all existing scripts are by default not compatible anymore.
Not necessarily. The LT ship is hardcoded so most likely it's still the same old LT.
Worst case it works a little differently, stat-wise.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Katorone
x3tc

Post by Katorone » Tue, 18. Jan 11, 21:55

I'm using RoF on XTC... Works like a charm.

Edit:
Placement works like a charm... But the LT's don't have shields. :D

Katorone
x3tc

Post by Katorone » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 16:33

For those with XTC. Seems XTC doesn't (yet?) put shields on LT's.

Adding this line will allow the RoF to use shielded LT's:

= $laser install 1 unit of 125 MJ Shield
at line 258 of plugin.ring.of.fire (after the LT is created, and before the rudder opt. is added)

MarioBr0

Post by MarioBr0 » Fri, 21. Jan 11, 11:54

yeah its working indeed. awesome.
just took me vew days to produce enough towers for my first ring.

i dont get shield on it either so ill try adding it like you sayed, see if it works.
but i have one more little issue, since the ring does not automatically decloak and engage paranid vehicle's passing the gate. i can decloak manually, they start attacking the ships then but if i dont do it manually, they just watch paranids fly by and nothing.

i set scanner range to 20 km (set scan 20000) cause i figured the scan should trigger the decloak and maybe it just needs some longer, but no reaction on the enemy-ships passing the gate. also paraanids ARE set to foe on global commands, and i sended the setting a couple of times to 'all reachable propperty'. no effect.
i have not seen any xenon or kaahg (also both enemy) at the ring yet
so dont know if they would decloak at all on enemy contact or if its a paranid-related-issue.

any suggestion on what i should try?

EDIT----------------------

i remember in TC3.0 (without xtended mod) the towers would decloak and kill all terrans as soon as i set them to foe. So i declared war on all races to see what happens but the rings are not decloaking.
and as i was in the middle of building my 2nd ring, a paranid dropped in the sector, the first towers were already cloaked and he got killed by the towers wich i just deployed and did not have enough time to cloak yet.

the trick with the shields is working b.t.w. ^^ THX
and katorone, are you using the towers cloaked or uncloaked? do you not have the same problem?

Katorone
x3tc

Post by Katorone » Sat, 22. Jan 11, 13:28

I've noticed some weird behaviour, but didn't want to report it untill I had an idea where to look.

It seems to me that RoF changes the race of the LT when it cloaks (so they dissapear from your property list). XTC has fiddled with the races giving them their own enemies and friends.
My guess is that after an LT cloaks, XTC sends an update to all races about friends & foes, and the LT's settings get changed. Thus, the LT recognizes their own enemies instead of yours.

That's probably why I've seen it working on Xenon, but pirates spawned by STO get ignored.

Ash Axiom

Post by Ash Axiom » Mon, 28. Feb 11, 13:41

I want to use this script very badly, but I'm clearly too stupid to figure it out without a GUI. Can somebody help me out?

I don't understand what an argument is or how to use this. I've installed it properly (I think), but I don't know what to do in-game to make it work.

Could somebody show an example of how they would do a simple ring to guard a gate? Let's say 30 LTs.

Retiredman
x3ap

Post by Retiredman » Mon, 28. Feb 11, 18:15

Not stupid just unfamiliar.
I havn't got all the little tweak and twists that this script has, so I use the basic. Here is how I do it and understand it.

For non gate setup.
Got a TS with enough space..OK
30 lasertowers - add 2 times in microchips for stealth LT's

Choose "Ring of Fire" under the special commands for the ship.
Choose a sector.
Choose a point.
1. -- number of LT's to be deployed - in this case- 30.

2. -- radius distance from your chosen point. I use a number. There is a default already set(I don't use that) I add a minus infront of my number to
set my radius // -XXXX or in this case -1500 for 30 LT's. This will create a LT circle of 3000 meters in diameter. There is a max number but I let you experiment with it later. Using the minus sign forces the RoF to that size.

3. Is the axis you want to align it. (3D cordinates) Z or X or Y(your setting it from map view coordinates)
Z axis - looks like the LT are aligning from top to bottom on map. The open section is to the X axis (left to right on map)
X axis = looks like LTs are aligned from left to right on map. Opening is facing bottom to top.
Y axis _ most visible when looking at it when deployed(map view - viewing top down) Looks like a nice round circle on the map

Understanding 3D coordinates relating to map view.
Use left hand.
make fist.
point fist towards your monitor. (palm side facing right)
Extend thumb up. (Thumbs up-- the A-OK sign)
Extend index finger to point towards screen. (the old gun thing.. shooting the monitor)
Extend middle finger 90 degrees so it's point to your right. (Will not expound on this)

These are the 3 axis your can relate to the map coordinates.

Thumb relates to Z axis. Up/down
index finger related to Y Axis. forwards/ backwards
middle finger relates to X axis. left/right

(When you flip the map from the keybord so you can set a height from the ellipical)
Thumb switches with the index finger.
Thumb is Y
Index finger become Z
X stays the same.

If you choose a gate. then the RoF is snapped around the gate automaticly. In that case your just have to give the number and the radius.
The axis has to be given but can be any of the Z - X - Y letter. It is disreguarded. Select one so the script can run.

The deploying ship will travel to the sector and setup the RoF. Or if it's already in system it will travel to the deployment point.
You think a hero is some weird sandwitch and not a guy attacking a Xeno J with a kestrel.

Sir.. I said .. A guy attacking a J with a kestrel is the sandwitch.

Ash Axiom

Post by Ash Axiom » Tue, 1. Mar 11, 01:29

Got it working now, thanks for the help. I'm actually stupider than originally thought, but it all worked out in the end!

Grid
xr

Post by Grid » Tue, 26. Apr 11, 16:20

is there a possabilaty of making this compatable with XTC mod

MarioBr0

Post by MarioBr0 » Tue, 5. Jul 11, 20:37

that would be awesome, tho i think its gonna be to much work

garrry34
x3tc

Post by garrry34 » Sat, 6. Aug 11, 18:25

gazz I'm having a problem here with ROF, its not taking heed of my global FOF settings, they attack xenon and pirates ok but they won't attack main races who I'm enemys with even though they are set to foe, is there something I could do to fix this?
PhenomII X4 940 black edition
8GB DDR2
ATI HD4890
Windows 7 64bit

garrry34
x3tc

Post by garrry34 » Tue, 9. Aug 11, 01:57

Gazz the problem seems to be when they cloak, when uncloaked the FOF is fine but when they cloak they turn friendly to all but the paranid, found this out by targeting one while it cloaked...
8GB DDR2
ATI HD4890
Windows 7 64bit

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 9. Aug 11, 13:17

They are supposed to set their race relations based on your global settings.
Since you cannot select them while cloaked, this is the only way.

There is only one instruction to do that so I wouldn't know what to do differently.

garrry34
x3tc

Post by garrry34 » Mon, 26. Dec 11, 04:00

gazz will there be an update to ROF to include use of the orbital laser as well, just tried editing it myself and had boron ts appear, I was like wtf,lol
8GB DDR2
ATI HD4890
Windows 7 64bit

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”