[Discussion] Generic X3TC S&M questions I

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

jlehtone
x4

[Discussion] Generic X3TC S&M questions I

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 07:46

Post all the short and simple questions (not covered by existing threads) about scripting, modding, and MD in X3 Terran Conflict here.

There is now a separate thread: "What provides/causes feature/bug foo?" for collecting that subset of questions and answers.

There is now a separate thread: What S&M are recommended/"must have"? for collecting that subset of questions and answers into one convenient spot.

2010-03-11:
Part I closed. Part II is here.
Last edited by jlehtone on Thu, 11. Mar 10, 17:29, edited 4 times in total.

kevso
x3tc

Mission Director

Post by kevso » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 15:17

Hi Guys,
firstly let me thank everyone involved in the making of X3TC for promises to be a fantastic game, so on to the question.....

I have noticed that there is no "director" folder, is the Mission Director included in X3:TC or do i have to added it like in X3:R? Also if it is already included how do i reset it.

Thanks

Kevso :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 15:44

The director folder is buried inside one of the DAT files. If you create a new one then the game should still find the files, but they will only be read if you have enabled the Script Editor. However you still need to go rummaging in the DAT file as it seems the schema and other stuff used to help with editing and displaying MD files got buried in there too.

kevso
x3tc

Post by kevso » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 17:15

Excellent, thanks CBJ :)

Oh one more thing... is there new documentation for the MD?

Thanks

Kevso :)

Flector
x4

Post by Flector » Sat, 18. Oct 08, 11:04

Has anything changed regarding the 'loadtext' command, text xml file specs/location?
The way I did things in X3R does not seem to work in X3TC.
I'm not able to access the texts and get results like 'ReadText9999-5'.

Edit: Never mind, I already discovered it myself. Changing the filename from 449999.xml to 9999.xml did the trick.
X2: Advanced Magnate, Ace of Aces 1st grade ~ X3R: Master Economist, Crusader
X3TC: Magnate, X-TREME ~ X4F: Salesman, Harmless

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 05:53

the file names for textfiels have changed.

if you get my scripts you can see how the new system works.

but the files a now basically in the form of, XXXX-LXXX.xml

which is in the sticky btw ;)

the first part is the text id, the second is the language

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 09:43

a few from me

1. I'm getting xml errors sending messages from my old scripts (ideas?). I can call info from my TR scripts t files into a menu after removing [] bindings but not via "send message temp true" option

2. all [author] references in t files need removing yes? (i've built a menu option to get around the send incoming question not working anymore) only \033R\033X seem to be available now

3. how do i add a question (via a menu if this is now the way) to a station

4. using a menu option to send a question means it dissapears if the player hits the delete key

5. are all english bindings L044?

6. the emp mod pack only works if selected as a custom mod profile, i cannot rename it to 5.dat/cat
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 13:50

LV wrote:a few from me

1. I'm getting xml errors sending messages from my old scripts (ideas?). I can call info from my TR scripts t files into a menu after removing [] bindings but not via "send message temp true" option

2. all [author] references in t files need removing yes? (i've built a menu option to get around the send incoming question not working anymore) only \033R\033X seem to be available now

3. how do i add a question (via a menu if this is now the way) to a station

4. using a menu option to send a question means it dissapears if the player hits the delete key

5. are all english bindings L044?

6. the emp mod pack only works if selected as a custom mod profile, i cannot rename it to 5.dat/cat

1. This usually depends on the format of the text your trying to display, some things will no longer work in normal messages, like the [colours].

Code: Select all

- I'll keep trying
2. All the colour codes should work in menus.

k
3. Do u mean a custom menu adding some options you can select ?

- yes
4. Delete is the close all menus key, so it will close it, theres no way to prevent that

hmn, so is there another way of asking questions as the send inc question does not seem to work, will test again though
5. L044 in text files is the language, so that will be english.

-ta
6. I've not used EMP, but it should work, i assume u've created it from TC ware files and not just used the old one ?

- when it comes to modding i'm manuel from barcelona, it's the TR EMP

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 03:31

Cycrow wrote: but the files a now basically in the form of, XXXX-LXXX.xml

which is in the sticky btw ;)
It is? Which sticky?

Also, it'd be pretty cool to see a short tutorial on how the new menu system works. I think this is the most exciting part of MCSI 41.

oatboy

Post by oatboy » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 05:13

So I know basically nothing about scripting, but i desperately want to get this script http://www.nthdegree.com.au/sverre/publ ... 31205.html
to work in TC, because it was so useful. I tried changing the version to 41 in all the files and changing the format of the T file to the new format, but it still won't load. Is there an easy way to fix this or would i have to learn how to rewrite the script?
Thanks a lot guys!
Edit: vvvvv oh thanks a lot!
Last edited by oatboy on Mon, 20. Oct 08, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.

TradinCajun
x3tc

Is there a way to change the main viewing location of ships

Post by TradinCajun » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 06:33

Here is the situation. When piloting TP's (there could be others but haven't purchased any M6's or larger yet.) the main view screen seems to be WAY too high above the piloted ship. Much higher than from where the actual cockpit is located almost like a third person view.

The screen shot on the left is the default view. The right screen is from my point of view floating in front of the cockpit after ejecting and much careful manuvering to get as close to the cockpit as I possibly can without causing a massive breach in my spacesuit. :D

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/5556 ... eenko8.jpg

As you can see there is a bit of a discrepancy here. Granted you can see more space around you in the left. But doesn't the left view leave you feeling man I thought my ship was bigger than that.
I'm of the opinion that size does matter and the view on the right gives you a truer view.

Just my 2 cents.

TC

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 06:42

There's actually two places where you have the change the 32 to a 41.

Do a text search for it within the file. The last one isn't so obvious, and underneath the body of the script data.

ThisIsHarsh
x3tc

Post by ThisIsHarsh » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 07:10

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen/knows if there is any kind of more intelligent patrol ships (e.g. similar to LVs excellent Race Response) built-in to X3TC. Seems like a feature that would logically have a place in the next installment, since stock patrol ships were widely critisized in X3R.

I have noticed that stations seem to have defenders now, at least, so I'm hopeful it goes further than that. Not had a chance to see if this is the case myself though.

I know it doesnt sound like a scripting question, but I ask here to see if there is a 'market' for more intelligent AI fleets - and if so, are there any new scripting capabilities that could be useful for developing them? How about the MD vs script editor for such 'faction level' scripts (e.g. given the event-driven nature of the MD)?

DCurrahee

Post by DCurrahee » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 07:30

Great idea, that would be great if you found the place to change that.

SpongeBobSpacepants
x3tc

Plans for CAG ?

Post by SpongeBobSpacepants » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 10:29

Hi, are there any plans for a Commercial Agent script for TC ? I`ve used it before in X3R and am surprised it wasn`t included in TC. It was a very useful script and makes the whole running of a factory soo much easier. I`m sure the scripters are busy enough but this script would be a MUST for the game imo :roll:

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 10:54

the German version of the CAG (or HVT - Handelsvertretung) alpha 2 is released in the German Scripting Forums already ;) but the translation is still in progress afaik ;)

PS Link to the German Topic: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216726
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Roguey
x4

Post by Roguey » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 10:56

hi there,

Will our scripts work in X3t or need converting so we can load/run them? ie. what needs to be done to X3 script to make it fully X3t compatabile?

I guess any scripts which use the BBS will need changing/removing?
Roguey's Site: X3TC, X3AP, X3FL, X4.

SpongeBobSpacepants
x3tc

Post by SpongeBobSpacepants » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 11:01

Oh thanks Uni :)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 11:52

@TradinCajun: I would guess that you can modify the ship data in order to move the camera location, just like in X3R. Several modders did so for the X3R, so there should be instructions (somewhere) in the X3R S&M forum. If something is fundamentally different, experiment and then tell the rest of us.

@Roguey: CBJ wrote somewhere that conversion is mandatory. As discussed on the first page (of this thread) , at least the language-file naming has changed. And obviously some features (BBS) are missing.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 12:19

Cycrow wrote:3. Do u mean a custom menu adding some options you can select ?

- yes
ok, well this is quite simple really, first you create your menu array

$menu = create menu array
then simply add items to them, there are 3 types, info lines, headers and items. The info lines is just text, and items are basically your selections, ie info lines can be the question, items can be the answer.

add custom menu item array $menu, text="my answer 1" returnvalue="1"
this will add a single option, and when its selected, it returns the string "1". The return value can be anything, i usually use either strings or objects. Ie, you could get a list of ships, and set the return value to the ship object.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”