[Index] Tutorials and Resources

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

[Index] Tutorials and Resources

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 14. Oct 08, 12:46

The Script Editor

The script editor in X3TC is largely unchanged from X3, with the exception of many new useful commands that have been added. It is activated in the same way that the X3 one is.

The one major change is that scripts made in X3 are NOT compatible with X3TC, these will not load at all in the game.
There have been many changes and improvements to the existing commands as well as all the changes to types files which can make old scripts not work correctly.

WARNING: Use at your own risk (its generally better to rewrite your scripts for X3TC, especially with all the additional commands available)

If you really want to load your old X3 scripts, (ie to edit them for use with X3TC) then you can manually adjust the version number. Edit the xml file directly and change the 2 script engine version to 40 and this will allow them to load. But they will require additional changes to make them work properly, like any types used (ship types for example)

The script editor aka "Manual Ship Computer Interface" (M.S.C.I.) is an in-game tool to create/modify AI behaviour rules and also allows creating/modifying objects in the game universe.
These features mean it is very powerful and when not used carefully can seriously damage your game universe.
As many of you have already found out using the Script Editor can spoil all the fun of the game!

Please note that this powerful tool is provided for your use as is. Script writing and accompanied problems are NOT supported by Egosoft or any betatesters.

If you are certain that you want to use this unsupported feature, you may activate the script editor the following way in your game:
  • enter the menu to change your pilot's name
    type Thereshallbewings (note the capital T) and press enter
    the menu will close, your player name will NOT have been changed, and a confirmation beep will sound on correct activation
    you will now find the "Script Editor" menu item in the command console
Troubleshooting if you can't open the SE
1. Have you changed your pilotname, not your ship name
2. Make sure you are not docked
3. have you used a capital T

Note that the publication of the Script Editor access code by no means forces you to use it. The editor is an advanced and most importantly optional feature.
If you are not into script programming of any sort you are probably better off without it.

****Note****
Once opened the script editor can never be closed in your save game, A new start is required
99.9% of script & mod users care not about this but some of you may do.

The Galaxy Editor

The Galaxy Editor is an in game tool that allows you to create your own maps for the X-Universe. It has undergone significant development since X2, and should be much more powerful than before.

There is no documentation for this feature, and use remains unsupported by Egosoft.

If you are certain that you want to use this unsupported feature you may activate the galaxy editor the following way in your game:
  • enter the menu to change your pilot's name
    type Makeanapplepiefromscratch (note the capital M) and press enter
    the menu will close, your player name will NOT have been changed, and a confirmation beep will sound on correct activation
    you will now find the "Galaxy Editor" menu item in the 'NEW GAME' section of the opening menu of the game
Note that the publication of the Galaxy Editor access code by no means forces you to use it. The editor is an advanced and most importantly optional feature.

Feel free to ask questions about the activation of the script editor / galaxy editor in this thread, but please save questions like 'How does it work?' and 'How do I script something?' for the appropriate tutorials threads. (Don't post them here)

Tutorials And Help Files

The first thing that needs to be said about scripting and modding for X3TC is that it is, for the most part, generally composed of the same basic procedures as it was for X3.

Therefore, much of the information for scripting and modding X3TC is already contained in the Scripting / Modding Tutorials Thread for X3. Many of the threads contained in this sticky will assume that you already have a basic fundamental understanding of how to script for the X games. This basic knowledge can be obtained by reading many of the tutorials that were written in the past for X2 and X3.

The rest of this sticky will be full of threads that will provide specific information on how to script / mod for X3TC.

A few general notes:
Every link in this tutorial list will be to a thread on the egosoft board. If there's a good external resource, I'll link to a thread here, on the egosoft site, which links to the external resource. This way, the issue of broken links can be dealt with by whoever is referring / maintaining the external resource. Post all dead link questions to the thread in question, I won't be able to deal with them here. Fair enough?
If you have a link/thread to some useful info that you'd like to see on this page, feel free to pm me or post it to this thread (along with what general category you think it falls under). I'll try to keep this first post organized and up to date so that people don't have to wade through 20 pages to find the link they want.

Tutorial Opening The Script Editor

Tutorial about installing scripts and mods

Tutorial Using a AL Plugin

Tutorial Creating an AL Plugin

Tutorial Creating Custom Menu and Interface

Tutorial Turning AL Plugins On and Off

How to install mods and scripts on Mac (for technophobes)...

Default install directory location for Steam users

Code: Select all

c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\x3 terran conflict (default)

Scripts in c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\x3 terran conflict\scripts

Text files in c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\x3 terran conflict\t

Mods .cat and .dat files go into Steam\SteamApps\common\x3 terran conflict\mods

Tools File hosting Scripting Mission Director (MD) Modding ---------------------------------------------------------------
Info ---------------------------------------------------------------

My game keeps crashing/Freezing using scripts
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
If you are having either of these 2 problems and you have any other script than the lockmaster running in this menu please add that detail to your post, It will help ;)

Cheers :)

How to install downloaded scripts

Open up the folder which holds your X3 install
[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Thats about it.

Quick Link Abbreviations
Remove the 1

tc1sr : Rules
tc1smdl : Download List
tc1cs : Cheats
tc1tu : Tutorials
si1dg : Installing Scripts & Mods
Last edited by Cycrow on Tue, 29. Dec 09, 22:00, edited 2 times in total.

moot
x3tc

Plans for new scripting documentation?

Post by moot » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 08:37

Does the dev team know of any plans to update the MSCI Reference, or at least provide an update of the list of commands available? I'm sure there's plenty of functions that have now been depreciated (BBS, for example), not to mention all the new ones associated with the new weapons, wares and interface.

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Fri, 17. Oct 08, 10:00

I'm planning on updating the command lists in the msci-handbook on xai-corp.net, and document some of the new features.

I could use some help there if anyone feels like lending a hand.

Zargen

Bit of a dumb question about TC

Post by Zargen » Sat, 18. Oct 08, 03:11

How do I turn scripting on? :roll:

I looked through the commands and noticed that to bring up scripting I hit the 's' key. But that didn't work, then I tried Thereshallbewings like for Reunion but that didn't work either.

Little help?

Zargen

Post by Zargen » Sat, 18. Oct 08, 03:23

Nevermind, I found the bugger.

zergfest90
x3tc

Post by zergfest90 » Sat, 18. Oct 08, 03:41

Here is a link to the method for enabling it (same as in X3: Reunion):

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216693

Nutsman
x4

@doubleshadow X3 Editor

Post by Nutsman » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 16:32

Dear doubleshadow,

at first
thank you for your excellent work on the X3 Editor !!

But it seams to be it is not compatible with the new X3 Terran Confict.
Is there something planed from you to update the Editor in the future ?
Your Editor is one of the most imported tools in the X-Uni.
it will be a big loss for the hole community when not...

best regards

nuts

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 03:53

Seconded.

The Cats can be opened by the editor, but the PBD files aren't decompressing.

EDIT: However, WinRar will open them. Just add the .BOD extension after. I would hazard an assumption that this works for .PCK/.XML as well.

TradinCajun
x3tc

Post by TradinCajun » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 04:23

I third it. :D
I can open the Cat folder but when I try to open the TShips.pck file I get this error:

[ external image ]

siath70
x4

Post by siath70 » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 04:41

Yes, I would like to see it updated too.

I would like to get at the TJobs file so I can remove the pesky Taxi and other useless civs. All they really do is clog up my machine. I mean it's nice to see some life, but sheesh give us some options. Why couldn't X3:TC had a switch to reduce/remove them from the game...

Bughu Baas
x4

Post by Bughu Baas » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 07:07

For access:

- Use the old DS Modmanager to decompress cat/dat files
- use 7zip or winrar to decompress the resulting pck files
- Add the file extension manually, its the same as in X3R
- Use a text editor (Notepad++ or Notepad2 recommended) to edit the files
- Create a "\types" directory in the X3TC directory
- Copy your TShips.txt/TJobs.txt/whatever into that dir
- Start X3TC and enjoy!

So, the "only" problem is the missing GUI Editor for those text files. :cry:

Malte

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 07:35

Holy Crap! I didn't know you could winrar the PCKs. Thanks Bughu.

Can it re-PCK them too?

*edit*
Ha-ha, in the TShips file..

"// Created with X3 Editor 0.0.22"

Egosoft is 7 versions ahead of us. :lol:

at least we know there is a working editor, even if we don't have it.

Bughu Baas
x4

Post by Bughu Baas » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 07:52

To re-pack, just use the good old ModManager from X3R. It's working! :idea:

Malte

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 14:28

FYI: Here is content of email I received from Doubleshadow:
Doubleshadow wrote:Hi Observe,

I was in touch with several TC betatesters/developers as I was developing TC compatible X3 Editor. I'm not sure if the modified X3E is fully compatible as the communication with the guy (Syklon) ended some time ago.
I don't even know if the TC is out already or not - I'm not interested in the X series anymore. It was a good experience but it's time to move on.

So if you want the latest version, or if you want me to release it, just let me know.

Cheers.

Bye.
I will attempt coordination with DS for release if necessary. However, I suspect that DS will be making available before long.
Last edited by Observe on Mon, 20. Oct 08, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

jeremy_2001

How to extract Icons&pictures from dat file?

Post by jeremy_2001 » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 14:33

I used the Manager and extracted files successfully ,however I can't find any image files(ico ,bmp,png,et.).What am I supposed to do?Please help me ,thank you very much

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 15:12

It seems we have lost DoubleShadow :-( His contributions to the X modding community will be missed.

And, yes, Observe, please coordinate a release of the latest X3E. Even if it's not entirely up-to-date someone may be able to finalize it for X3TC.

Although not the right place to discuss this any further, I do not fully understand your final remark, Observe. How can you come to that conclusion without having played X3TC?

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 15:16

euclid wrote:Although not the right place to discuss this any further, I do not fully understand your final remark, Observe. How can you come to that conclusion without having played X3TC?
As I mentioned: "For a variety of reasons". Nevertheless, I've deleted my sour grapes remarks for possible placement elsewhere at another time.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 15:53

Getting to the files is easy enough, trying to decipher them is something a little more challenging.

I'm trying to work out the ship stats at the moment. Found/figured out a couple.

I also removed that damn fog too. Never liked it, so it was the first thing to go.

Trying to look at the X3 mod for the fog/draw distance to re-acuqint myself with what does what.

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 20:40

Too bad doubly shadow has stopped.
I gueus this means that there will be far less mods for TC then there where for X3 since the egosoft tools are ancient and still dos based :shock:
So hopefully egosoft will update them to enter the 21 century :P

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 23:06

Well clearly ES has updated tools, and it would be nice/fair if they made those available to the rest of us so we are at least on an equal footing with those members of mod teams who participated in TC development.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”