X3:AP - Invisible PBC beams (including lasertowers) on Linux

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

WinterSnowfall

X3:AP - Invisible PBC beams (including lasertowers) on Linux

Post by WinterSnowfall » Wed, 19. Jul 23, 12:31

I'm quite a few hours into an X3:AP (v3.3) game on Linux, far enough that I could feel confident taking on a few pirate lasertowers.

Unfortunately, I noticed that while they seem to be firing and damaging me as expected, the usual beam trails they give out while firing are invisible (apparently not rendered?). Out of curiosity, I also equipped some PBCs on an Astreus Hauler to see if they're any different, but they exhibit the same lack of beam trails, while otherwise working as expected.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a known issue and is there any fix for it?

It's quite annoying to not see the direction of incoming fire during battles... all other weapons appear fine in all regards, even the repair laser beam looks good, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Edit: I have also tried using Zink and software OpenGL rendering, but there's no difference. That excludes any driver related regression as the root cause.

P.S.: Tried a fresh reinstall of the game, but the issue persists. Not using any mods beside the official BonusPack.

WinterSnowfall

Re: X3:AP - Invisible PBC beams (including lasertowers) on Linux

Post by WinterSnowfall » Wed, 19. Jul 23, 13:12

Ok, so I've rummaged around the forum some more and found this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=441698

I am indeed using the GOG Linux build. I'll see if I can figure out what needs to be done to correct this (if anything is possible) and edit this post if I find anything.

Edit: Using the modified TBullets.pck file from the link above indeed makes the beams visible, but with a white beam instead of the expected orange one. I guess this is the "old PBC effect" steve_v was referring to. I guess it's better than nothing.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”