X3TC and other X3 games randomly crash (Windows 10)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

granisaber

X3TC and other X3 games randomly crash (Windows 10)

Post by granisaber » Sun, 19. Sep 21, 14:54

I'v been having this problem for the last couple of years on windows 10.
The game crashes at random after several hours of gameplay (10+ hours).
Reloading and choosing different actions wont prevent it, it will still crash shortly after reloading (30 minutes etc).
Its never the same events that cause the crash, sometimes its an almost empty system, sometimes a fullscale battle, different numbers of traders/factories active etc.
It even affects multiple games X3R, X3TC, X3:AP and Farnhams legends. Collectively I have nearly 1000 hours in these games, however since windows 10 its been a case of play for 10+ hours and BAMB no longer playable.

My system:
AMD Ryzen 3700 (stock)
Merc 6900XT Ultra (although same issue with 5700xt and 580)
G.Skill single rank dual channel 32gb 3600Mhz (2x 16gb although same issue with 4x 8gb config)
PCI-E Gen 4 m.2 (although also tested gen3, sata ssd, sata hdd same issues, also tested c drive or other drive same issue)

I really enjoy the games far more than the more recent creations (Rebirth and X4) but I just cant get it stable and I've tried everything on these forums and elsewhere.
PS no issue on ubuntu but I dont wish to dual boot and require windows for the wireless vive adapters driver.

I have been a PC engineer in the past and I am currently a software engineer. My best guess is theres some kind of SMT issue when the memory usage increases beyond a certain point, possibly some kind of race condition.
Either way its something I would love to be fixed, me and the OP are by far not the only people with this issue just a quick search will reveal that.

Just to clarify this is vanilla in the games, although also happens with the 3-4 mods I like.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X3TC Randomly Crashes (Windows 10)

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 19. Sep 21, 16:25

Split from a largely unrelated 2017 thread.

The fact that it is happening to you on multiple X3 games would further indicate that it is something related to your system or set-up and how it handles X3's XP-era DirectShow game engine. It would be worth providing the information requested for all Tech Sp reports so that we can see your system, drivers, codec lists, and error reports, etc.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”