X3AP : What causes the horrible FPS - with spare CPU and GPU loads available?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

thundyuk2

X3AP : What causes the horrible FPS - with spare CPU and GPU loads available?

Post by thundyuk2 » Fri, 7. May 21, 20:55

Just curious really if there's any one thing. I'm in a sector with 650 stations and complex kits used, and yeah there's a lot there but the GPU is only showing about 10% utilisation in HW Monitor, and the CPU never goes above 75%. Despite having resources available the GUI is laggy as all hell and the FPS is down to 1 or 2.

Older system spec here just on an i5 2500K and an NVIDIA 770 with 12gig of system ram.

But they're not getting pegged.

So, where's the bottleneck?

Ta :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X3AP : What causes the horrible FPS - with spare CPU and GPU loads available?

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 7. May 21, 21:46

"the CPU never goes above 75%" The whole cpu of how many cores, one real core, or one hyperthread?

The X3 games use single-thread gameloops and so if that thread is at 100% then more cpu thread capacity will not help. Other threads/cores may help by running necessary device drivers and background support apps etc, but the game itself is essentially using just that one thread.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

thundyuk2

Re: X3AP : What causes the horrible FPS - with spare CPU and GPU loads available?

Post by thundyuk2 » Fri, 7. May 21, 22:05

Thanks for the reply.I should have been more specific, sorry.

It's a four core, four thread CPU. No physical core goes over 75%. The overall CPU usage is about 50%.

I aren't sure how to check the thread usage?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”