How to disable force feedback? Causing problems on Vista w/ MS FF2 Joystick

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

funks

How to disable force feedback? Causing problems on Vista w/ MS FF2 Joystick

Post by funks » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 04:30

Just recently bought the game from STEAM. Got a problem though

how do I *DISABLE* force feedback on this game? Basically, there's no option to disable it and it causes problems with my Microsoft Force Feedback 2 Stick.

Microsoft never released Vista, Vista x64 drivers for the FF2 stick - and any game trying to use the force feedback function disables the self center feature so basically the stick goes limp.

Other games that I've played (eq. IWAR2) works just fine with the stick (self centering still works) as long as its force feedback support is disabled.

Looking at the X3TC config screen, the force feedback drop down doesn't have an option to disable it (only child, adult, body builder or something like that).

Any help appreciated as I want to enjoy this game

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 11:45

As you've already noted, this is a problem caused by a lack of driver support. There is no means to solve it within the game, but there is (or at least was) a utility called RTC (standing for return to centre, I think) which could do the job. However, I last saw it a while ago but I'm struggling to find it now. I think it was on a site relating to a rally driving game!

EventHorizon
x4

Post by EventHorizon » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 12:55

The utility you want is located here:

http://www.tocaedit.com/forum/dload.php ... file_id=13
Windows 10 x64
Intel i5 4460
16 GB DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel
AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB
Saitek X52

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 13:45

Hey, thanks! That saved some searching. :)

funks

Post by funks » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 02:51

Seems a bit cumbersome to use so I poked around a bit and found a registry setting

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/MediaProperties/PrivateProperties/Joystick/OEM/VID_045E&PID_001B/OEMForceFeedback

I basically changed the permission (regedit) of that particular node to "Everyone" -> Full Control = Deny and viola, dxdiag doesn't see the stick as ForceFeedback capable anymore hence DirectInput doesn't try to initialize Force Feedback support when the game starts.

Stick works on force feedback games w/ centering force still enabled as a normal joystick.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 10:27

Very neat solution. Thanks.

Gandalf21
x4

Re:

Post by Gandalf21 » Wed, 5. May 21, 00:00

funks wrote:
Tue, 21. Oct 08, 02:51
Seems a bit cumbersome to use so I poked around a bit and found a registry setting

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/MediaProperties/PrivateProperties/Joystick/OEM/VID_045E&PID_001B/OEMForceFeedback

I basically changed the permission (regedit) of that particular node to "Everyone" -> Full Control = Deny and viola, dxdiag doesn't see the stick as ForceFeedback capable anymore hence DirectInput doesn't try to initialize Force Feedback support when the game starts.

Stick works on force feedback games w/ centering force still enabled as a normal joystick.
Thx mate, you saved me :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”