PC re-booting under load

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

PC re-booting under load

Post by Free Trade Inn » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 20:33

Im getting a Kernel 41 error and guessing my PSU is on the way out.
Any thoughts before I pull the trigger on a new psu? Nothing seems to be getting hotter than normal but it is an old motherboard.
Its a 10 year old G750H so I guess its age
Cheers in advance
FTI
You can be cool, or you can be nasty, but as soon as you are one, you are not the other.
FTI

burger1
x3tc

Re: PC re-booting under load

Post by burger1 » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 21:35

Any other errors in event viewer or view reliability report?

Kernel power 41 is a common generic error so not that useful.

Any of the parts being utilized at a high usage? Can check for hot spots with gpu-z

Dust?

Psu fan still working? How much power does the system draw? Depending on the psu the fan might be temperature controlled so might not need to go off.

Can check psu voltages in the bios screen. Might not be accurate.

Psu make any clicking sounds when the pc shuts off? Psu hot when pc shuts off? Can pc start immediately after shutting off or is it unresponsive?

Mainboard fans all still work if the mainboard has any fans.

Underclock the gpu in msi afterburner and see if that stops the rebooting. Minus core and memory clock and lower power limit. Ironically the system will probably draw less power so it wouldn't exactly rule out the psu.

Remove any overclocks? Overclock become unstable?

Can run windows ram test I guess??? Press windows key and type memory and run the memory diagnostic test. It's a light test.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 04:14

If you under clock the gpu in msi afterburner remember to hit apply so that the settings are applied.

If you change the psu remember to only use the cables that come with the new psu. People wreck their sata hard drives by using the old psu sata power cables and it can be expensive, etc....

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 18:58

Yes the PSU fan is still working and even though its quite hot it re-boots itself with the click -literally like pressing reset.
GPU is not overclocked but the CPU is.

Cheers again,
FTI
You can be cool, or you can be nasty, but as soon as you are one, you are not the other.
FTI

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 20:09

Would dialing back my OC on the CPU help or would it be better to reset to factory?
Cheers in advance,
FTI
FTI

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 24. Apr 24, 05:00

You can try dialing back the oc. If you have a phone with a camera or a tablet, etc... you can take screen shots or videos of your settings so you can reapply them if you want. Resetting the bios might be a bit much to undo.

Under clocking the memory on the gpu quite a bit (-500 or a bit higher) in msi afterburner and selecting apply to apply the setting might produce easier results?

Return to “Off Topic English”