Spacebourne 2 - Is now on GOG + Steam - Early access

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

alt3rn1ty
x4

Spacebourne 2 - Is now on GOG + Steam - Early access

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 3. Nov 23, 17:36

Spacebourne 2 - Its currently EA, but my god is it impressive.

1 man did this.

GOG - https://www.gog.com/en/game/spacebourne_2
Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1646 ... eBourne_2/

£16.75

Website - https://www.dbkgames.com/spacebourne-2

I bought it just to support the dev, haven't played yet but steam rep for this is already Very positive.
Planets are procedurally generated.

"SpaceBourne 2 is an RPG-based, open-universe, single-player space shooter with an additional third-person shooter game with dozens of features such as role-play, mining, trading, piracy, crafting, and deep exploration.

The main story picks up where it left off in Spacebourne I,

but now your main goal is to raise a new empire in the galaxy.

How you do it is entirely up to you."

Supposed to release 2023, but currently sounds like that may well be early 2024, but for a game that looks like its Star Citizen programmed by 1 man I think he may have been a bit optimistic for 2023 release. Anyway see what you think, I think it looks very promising. Needs voice actors apparently, but coming from a 1 man band thats not surprising.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Alerion_V.X3
x3tc

Re: Spacebourne 2 - Is now on GOG + Steam - Early access

Post by Alerion_V.X3 » Fri, 3. Nov 23, 18:49

I've had Spacebourne 2 on my wishlist for some time. It seems really interesting with its mixture of different gameplay elements. But I'm still a bit sceptical as to whether all these set pieces will result in a good, fun space game for me.

But definitely worth a look. :)

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 3. Nov 23, 18:55

Still a bit janky and GUI should still get some improvements.

I have it on my wishlist, but I'll give it one more year in the owen, coz I already reached my limit of ongoing Early Access games that I wait to be completed.

However, for what it's worth as an indie title made by one guy, this already blasts Starfield (more depth and content) and Star Citizen (purely single player, no MP, MMO trash).

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 3. Nov 23, 20:22

I have played it a bit (~6 hours) and my first impressions were of it being quite well done first person shooter episodes linked through an original storyline using mission-guided space exploration. Of course as I didn't get too far into the game, there may be rich sandbox or multi-option choices for exploration yet to come.

I did find some aspects a bit unintuitive and not that well described in the tutorial/tips - to my shame I spent quite some unproductive time before I could reliably get my ship through a jumpgate sequence, or even find the correct landing pad on a target station. :oops:

I have paused with it for now as I have enough other stuff to finish, but I will pick it up again and try to do better justice to the breadth of gameplay on offer.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sat, 4. Nov 23, 02:40

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 3. Nov 23, 18:55
However, for what it's worth as an indie title made by one guy, this already blasts Starfield (more depth and content) and Star Citizen (purely single player, no MP, MMO trash).
Yep, that was my thoughts on an indie newcomer, amazing amount of work already submitted. Looking forward to updates.
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

Seeker of Sohnen.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sat, 4. Nov 23, 02:45

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 3. Nov 23, 20:22
~ I have paused with it for now as I have enough other stuff to finish, but I will pick it up again and try to do better justice to the breadth of gameplay on offer.
Same, or rather I have it ready to go, but far more things taking priority.
However looking forward to developments, it looks really promising.

Seeker of Sohnen.

Alerion_V.X3
x3tc

Post by Alerion_V.X3 » Thu, 30. Nov 23, 18:23

Now that I've bought the EA version (Steam) at the last sale and have already played it for a few hours, I'll make a first statement here.

I am also aware that the game is being developed by a single developer as a hobby project. Although this is no longer entirely true, as there are a few people who are at least helping out, if you run through the credits.

Unfortunately, this is also noticeable throughout. It's not bad at all, but if you believe the highly, shall we say, over-optimistic, unrealistic reviews and expect a Starfield or even Star Citizen killer here, you'll be disappointed. The game can't achieve that and won't quite get there either. In my opinion, there are simply too many game elements being tried to be incorporated into the game.

Yes, the whole thing has real potential and you can tell that the developer(s) are very eager to get down to business. I hope that it will at least become a homogeneous, well-structured game. At the moment, however, I would give the game a rather neutral rating with the tendency of a thumb down. However, I'll be happy to adjust my rating after the release version has been published and I'm really looking forward to it because, as a spacegame & RpG fanatic, it really hits my nerve.

In any case, I wish everyone who sees it differently a lot of fun and the developers good luck and enthusiasm with further development, because there is still a lot to do. I hope to see much more in the future. But for now it's :thumb:

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 2. Dec 23, 15:30

I dissagree with Alerion comment.

I grabbed Spacebourne 2 on -40% steam Atumn sale as well.

For an indie title, I'm having a blast - it is already Starfield and Star Citizen killer for me:
- It's single player and I won't need to wait another decade for it.
- unlike Starfield, it already offer wider and more deep range of activities and universe traverse/interactions (bar first game loading, which was a bit long, there is very little to no loading screens - eat it Todd!)

For 1/10 price of Starfield I already get a fun game that mix stuff from other games I always wanted to see:
- TPP combat like in Mass Effect (even with some zero-g space action)
- space combat like in Freelancer
- faction/empire building like in Egosoft X games (you can own capships, ship and soldiers squads and build stations)

Ground combat is fun, guns are satisfying, same is for space combat and space travel (warp + stargates).
Even AI generated voices are not that bad - they are nothing comparing to proper voice actors, but they are not terrible as previous generation of voice generators.

Do this game require more polish?
Definetly, I fall through the floor in my first 15 seconds of game on the stairs of starting building :D, fortunately the "fall" was non critical, so I managed to jump out of the floor in a few jumps.
GUI could also use a few polishing rounds, but so far I don't think it's that bad.

Overall, Spacebourne 2 seem to be the high-end of indie Early Access and it's dirt cheap, comparing to AAA titles that have multi-billion corporations and teams of few hundred behind them.

Alerion_V.X3
x3tc

Post by Alerion_V.X3 » Sat, 16. Mar 24, 20:35

SpaceBourne 2 Early Access Ver. 4.0.0 is now (ok, since yesterday) available on Steam since yesterday. The full change list is on steam, it's imho too long to post it here.

I uninstalled the game, because I personally think it's still too raw and unfinished - and there are other Games I'm playing now. :wink:

But of course I'll keep watching the game because I like the basic concept.

Edit: Oh, and it's 30% off on Steam. Unfortunately I don't know the price on GoG as I rarely use it.
Last edited by Alerion_V.X3 on Sat, 16. Mar 24, 20:45, edited 2 times in total.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 16. Mar 24, 20:44

No update on GOG as of yet :(

I've not uninstalled it [I never do - always increase storage instead :>] - but I merely bought it to support the developer. It's not really playable if you come from Starfield or other RPGs. It's awesome for the very small team, but as you said it earlier Alerion - it's still pretty raw.

I'll give it another try once the 4.0 hits GOG :)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sun, 17. Mar 24, 12:11

Yep its still v3.0.1.0 on GOG, might be due to the update came on a weekend and GOG still need to do their packaging of the downloadable installers.
Although I'm not sure, there was an update hotfix patch 3.2.1 in December, and we didn't get that one.
And the developer has had uploading issues with GOG a few times.

The changes are listed here https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... 1048699960
Edit : There's also a Roadmap here https://trello.com/b/X5gBF1Zl/spacebourne2-roadmap

Seeker of Sohnen.

Return to “Off Topic English”