The TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Pilgram

The TV

Post by Pilgram » Thu, 2. Mar 23, 21:40

I have an 8yr old Vizio TV for a monitor and can't get the picture from the computer inside the screen my mouse moves off the screen about 3/4 inch around all edges.
It was stated that modern TV works as good as a monitor?
Do I go with either or a monitor?
If monitor then what would be a good one around $200 or what do I look for in one as far as stats?
I hope some of this makes sense.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: The TV

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 2. Mar 23, 23:24

Most TVs will have separate screen size/stretch adjustments for vertical and horizontal. That should be useful in improving your display with your current TV.

A dedicated monitor *should* be cheaper than a *similar display spec* TV because they don't need the TV receiver and control circuitry, however TVs may attract better discounts through greater volume of sales and commercial competition. Monitors tend to have *some* better display and input characteristics than general digital TVs but they are very specific to the model. Usually, sound through both monitors and small TVs is not a good idea because they tend to have very small and tinny speakers. Of course, having a TV as a monitor may save you having two similar devices for different usages.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Pilgram

Post by Pilgram » Thu, 2. Mar 23, 23:46

Online 10 different how to, none worked to change screen size.
Either will be just for computer.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Thu, 2. Mar 23, 23:48

Pilgram wrote:
Thu, 2. Mar 23, 21:40
If monitor then what would be a good one around $200 or what do I look for in one as far as stats?
My 2ct: When buying a monitor/TV, go to a shop where they actually display the things in action. Reviews are nothing compared to your own eyes seeing how the picture looks in reality. Also stats are often deceiving. 144fps look good on paper, but when your grafics card only produces 75fps it's loves labour lost. Also, depends on the games you wanna play. Fast paced 1st person shooters may (or may not) benefit from it when playing on pro-level. But the average gamer is well off with much less.
As I said, go to a shop and take a look at their merchandise. You know better than anyone what looks good for you.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 3. Mar 23, 00:23

Do you know your tvs model?

Any tv picture setting like stretch to fit, auto, 16:9, etc...

Tv have overscan setting?

Might be able to use some setting in nvidia control panel.

Resolution selected same as tvs?

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 3. Mar 23, 03:01

In my experience, your TV likely has an input setting called "just scan", usually specific to the input your pc is connected to. I've seen the same input setting for Samsung, Sony, and LG models. Assuming its universal.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 3. Mar 23, 03:11

The tv model should show up somewhere in windows. After that you can find the manual to see what settings are available and the tvs resolution and refresh rate.

Pilgram

Post by Pilgram » Fri, 3. Mar 23, 12:59

Any more an 8 yr old TV there isn't much out there on it and I loaded a game and was playing it the color is not very good. It was a cheep one 8 yr ago. just time for an upgrade.

Pilgram

Post by Pilgram » Sat, 4. Mar 23, 00:46

Ordered a new monitor.
ASUS TUF Gaming 24.5” 1080P HDR Monitor VG258QM - Full HD, 280Hz (Supports 144Hz), 0.5ms, Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync, G-SYNC Compatible, DisplayHDR 400, Speaker, DisplayPort HDMI, Height Adjustable
Sounded like a good one. I hope.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 4. Mar 23, 13:14

Pilgram wrote:
Sat, 4. Mar 23, 00:46
Ordered a new monitor.
ASUS TUF Gaming 24.5” 1080P HDR Monitor VG258QM - Full HD, 280Hz (Supports 144Hz), 0.5ms, Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync, G-SYNC Compatible, DisplayHDR 400, Speaker, DisplayPort HDMI, Height Adjustable
Sounded like a good one. I hope.
Found this small review, its OK all rounder. It's best at 144HZ, however, its not recommended to use 60HZ, as the response time of the monitor will decrease. That could be an issue for any games you play which are capped at 60HZ or lower. (and there are quite a few games out there that are either capped due to framerate, or a console port that not been well done. Again the list is still fairly large.

Another issue depending if you plan on using HDR, its decent, but not recommanded because of poor HDR colour gamut and low contrast ratio. Those two issue stand out, but if you don't plan on using HDR, and keep the refresh rate at 144Hz, it should be a good monitor.

Source

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... ng-vg258qm
=

Pilgram

Post by Pilgram » Sat, 4. Mar 23, 15:51

(My 2ct: When buying a monitor/TV, go to a shop where they actually display the things in action.)
Try to do that in Leesburg Fl. Good luck LOL

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 5. Mar 23, 10:21

Google writes:
Known as the “Lakefront City,” Leesburg is a central hub for commerce in Lake County, attracting 50,000 people to work each weekday.
Not enough for a shop? The online shopping has its cons.

Return to “Off Topic English”