How did that get there? (And other computer related questions)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

How did that get there? (And other computer related questions)

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 1. Oct 22, 13:42

I powered on my computer (third power-up today) and out of nowhere 'spotify' appeared on my task bar. I've not installed it, or anything else it could've piggybacked on, so it was a bit of a surprise. - I've, of course, just uninstalled the 213MB bleeper, but the question as to its origin remains.

Next, I want to give my last PC to my sister (it's Windows 10 and hasn't been switched on for a year and more.) - It has an old (eight gen) I7 in it and a good graphics card, so it'd be a shame to scrap it. - What I want to know is how I go about resetting it fully so any trace of the two previous users is removed and it's as 'as new' as can be.

And finally, what is the barrage of 'suspicious content' I get whenever I select certain threads on Egosoft's website? I use the premium version of Bitdefender, and it's reported a number of unsafe connection attempts. I don't get warnings on any other places I visit.

Latest site is:
Bitdefender wrote:msedge.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an untrusted certificate to esd.me.uk. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since untrusted certificates are issued by unrecognized Certificate Authorities.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Re: How did that get there? (And other computer related questions)

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 1. Oct 22, 14:30

No idea about Spotify or the esd.me.uk thing, but the easiest and best way to completely clean out a Windows PC is to reinstall from scratch. Do you have recovery media supplied with the PC, or a valid Windows product licence?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 1. Oct 22, 16:16

how, probably arrived with some other download

even if it says Spotify may not be, hard to say without looking at details

just recently was reading how it's becoming popular to do malicious code injection into real application and send to people

if you don't need anything on that PC, full restore to original version is a good idea

just need the key for windows and may need to create recovery media before it. I think Windows explains how to do it in menus
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 1. Oct 22, 16:50

Hey, recently I had same issue with Spotify poping out of nowhere.

I deleted it several months ago to keep my Laptop clean of bloatware, but out of nowhere it re-appeared.

It might been either from one of Windows update or maybe MyASUS update somewhat wanted to install some bloatware.

I have two different laptops that update around the same time and the other one doesn't have MyASUS nor Spotify.

My bet is on MyASUS or some other 3rd party software that might come with your machine and has some pre defined bloat update.

Edit:

Well, damn me, it was actually Windows 11 update all along - I apologize to ASUS:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answe ... n-i-u.html

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 1. Oct 22, 17:42

Spotify appeared in the bottom left taskbar on my PC after a recent Windows update. I think it may even have been an optional cumulative update preview (which probably means that it will be in a future proper release cumulative update too). At least now I think I understand a part of what it describes itself as containing.

KB5017380 "... New! All taskbar orientations now support news and interests. ..." No commercial opportunities implied there - oh no! :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sat, 1. Oct 22, 19:08

Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 1. Oct 22, 13:42
And finally, what is the barrage of 'suspicious content' I get whenever I select certain threads on Egosoft's website? I use the premium version of Bitdefender, and it's reported a number of unsafe connection attempts. I don't get warnings on any other places I visit.
The suspicious items are likely to be peoples avatars and signature images, which are hosted on a myriad of websites.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Sat, 1. Oct 22, 19:19

Spotify had been automaticaly installed on my PC, and my Job-Laptop a few days before. I never used it, maybe MS got some money for that trash.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 2. Oct 22, 01:11

Yeah, it does seem like the Windows Update 'gifted' me Spotify...

Thanks for everyone's input. - I'll be doubtless calling for further assistance when I reset my old PC.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Return to “Off Topic English”