Steam deck query!

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

oldspacegamer

Steam deck query!

Post by oldspacegamer » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 23:00

Hello everyone, I've just got a 512gb Steam Deck with a 512gb sdcard and I'm wondering
are any of the older X series games compatible with the Steam Deck and if not
are you or valve possible working on any updates for it?

I would love to play X:Tension and X2 on my steam deck (those are my fave X series games)

Thank you!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Steam deck query!

Post by CBJ » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 23:37

There are Linux versions of all the games from X3: Reunion onwards on Steam, but I'm not sure how many have been tested on the Steam Deck. I will try and find out for you. There are no plans to port any games that are even older than that.

Edit: I've had confirmation that the X3 series of games do NOT run on Steam Deck, and the Windows versions of the even older games also don't run, despite the presence of the Proton emulation layer. We don't have much information as to why that is, and it may be some time before we are in a position to investigate further. I am not 100% sure about this, but I believe X Rebirth DOES run on the Steam Deck.

PinbackDS

Post by PinbackDS » Wed, 5. Oct 22, 16:41

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 23:37
There are Linux versions of all the games from X3: Reunion onwards on Steam, but I'm not sure how many have been tested on the Steam Deck. I will try and find out for you. There are no plans to port any games that are even older than that.

Edit: I've had confirmation that the X3 series of games do NOT run on Steam Deck, and the Windows versions of the even older games also don't run, despite the presence of the Proton emulation layer. We don't have much information as to why that is, and it may be some time before we are in a position to investigate further. I am not 100% sure about this, but I believe X Rebirth DOES run on the Steam Deck.
You don't need a linux version, steam runs the windows version via proton.

I have a Steam Deck and have tried several X games. Sadly have to report that XBTF, X:Tension and X2 do not run at all, won't even load on the Deck. X4 does work but the frame rate is quite poor indeed and borderline unplayable at times.

I personally love the older X series, I felt they 'lost their way' after X2. I would love XBTF/X:Tension and X2 working on my deck. I'd even be happy to pay for an update if that's what it took

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 5. Oct 22, 16:49

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 23:37
Edit: I've had confirmation that the X3 series of games do NOT run on Steam Deck, and the Windows versions of the even older games also don't run, despite the presence of the Proton emulation layer.
PinbackDS wrote:
Wed, 5. Oct 22, 16:41
You don't need a linux version, steam runs the windows version via proton.
As I said in the post you quoted, it doesn't work in this case.

Tranxalive
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tranxalive » Wed, 12. Oct 22, 00:09

Actually, the X games work fine on the Steam Deck, originally they worked fine, and the launcher window displayed properly, after a few OS updates, then it didn’t. :gruebel: After experimenting, I’ve learned that the launcher window still displays, but it’s hidden at first.

After launching the game, wait a bit until the thing to cancel the launch appears, and then open the On-Screen Keyboard. Then, you’ll want to press the Enter key, or for some games you’ll have to use the arrows first. After that, the game works fine. A bit of warning though.

X:BtF is VERY unstable and can crash at ANY time. :( I still don’t know why, but it’s possible to play it. I actually played an entire save when I first got mine. I pushed the game to its limits, and built at least one station in every sector. :D (Minus the Xenon/Pirate sectors, because it would be a pain to maintain them. :wink: )

X-Tension is much better, but it still crashes sometimes. I did the same thing to X-Tension. That save took a very long time. :cry:

X2 is quite stable, and it hasn’t crashed on the Deck yet. :) But you’ll need to convert the file with all the voice lines into a .wav format, if I remember correctly, :gruebel: in order to get those to work properly. I’m still in the process of my insane save, and I’ve yet to pick it back up again because of the sheer amount of stuff I have to manage. :( X:T really made me understand what Elena Kho felt like as one of the main owners of Terracorp, always getting interrupted by attacked freighters when trying to do something. :cry:

I haven’t tested the X3 games yet, but they work fine for the most part. :)

X:R, I haven’t even launched.

X4 works fine, but you’ll definitely need to adjust some graphics settings. :wink:

For all games, get ready to create the most confusing, and insane control-scheme, if you’re not playing with a keyboard and mouse, because there are so many important keys. :) Also, the On-Screen Keyboard doesn’t work for typing various things in X:T, and X2. Unless you plan on making a control scheme dedicated to typing, you’ll need a keyboard. :|

Anyways, I think I rambled on long enough. :D

Emperor Penguin

Post by Emperor Penguin » Wed, 21. Dec 22, 01:06

I came here to find a solution, And then I just started it in desktop mode, checked the compatibility checkbox and in windowed mode and it works. It looks a bit weird ike that but it does work somewhat. It still is a hassle to set up controller in big picture mode.

Tranxalive
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tranxalive » Wed, 21. Dec 22, 05:50

Emperor Penguin wrote:
Wed, 21. Dec 22, 01:06
I came here to find a solution, And then I just started it in desktop mode, checked the compatibility checkbox and in windowed mode and it works. It looks a bit weird ike that but it does work somewhat. It still is a hassle to set up controller in big picture mode.
You can play it in “Gaming Mode” also by following my steps above. :)

There’s no need to play it in desktop mode. Unless, they changed some more stuff again. :|

Emperor Penguin

Post by Emperor Penguin » Wed, 21. Dec 22, 09:01

Tranxalive wrote:
Wed, 21. Dec 22, 05:50
Emperor Penguin wrote:
Wed, 21. Dec 22, 01:06
You can play it in “Gaming Mode” also by following my steps above. :)

There’s no need to play it in desktop mode. Unless, they changed some more stuff again. :|
Doesn't work for me that is why I tried desktop mode.

Tranxalive
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tranxalive » Wed, 21. Dec 22, 18:03

Emperor Penguin wrote:
Wed, 21. Dec 22, 09:01
Doesn't work for me that is why I tried desktop mode.
Oh. Okay. I guess mine must be different, or it's been changed again. It has been a while since I played. :)

Return to “Off Topic English”