Ladies and gentlemen, it's been an honour.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, it's been an honour.

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Wed, 24. Aug 22, 00:35

Sad news indeed. I wish you the strength I hope I will have when time's coming for me. Godspeed and see you on the other side.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Mopy
x3

Post by Mopy » Wed, 24. Aug 22, 00:38

Sorry to hear it didn't work out.

I hope you're able to enjoy the rest of your time with the people who care about you the most. I hope it's happy, fun and memorable.

We'll be joining you in the not too distant future, so until then. o7
Sig

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Wed, 24. Aug 22, 12:55

As some of the others have said, in a sense we're all just names on a screen to each other here... but your name has been showing up on this screen for a long time, and it's been above a lot of really good posts, and my time here has been the better for it. It has been a privilege. Thank you, and so long.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Wed, 24. Aug 22, 14:36

Sad news, hardly bearable. Your honesty, mentality and dignity are admirable. Thank you, pjknibbs.

I am lurking forums in german, english and french. In the past few months I have seen several threads from (or about) members of communities passing (or passed) away. And I was impressed: if it comes to last questions those communities can be empatic, caring, 'civilized'. I'd hadn't believed it some years ago, but there can be more dignified interaction in forums than in RL.

[english is my third language so please excuse occasional wrong wording]

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Fri, 26. Aug 22, 20:34

Yes ! what an honor, it has been to have had you as part of this community.
It will be a far lesser place with you not being here.
Again, a very big thank you for just being you and of course for all of times you have helped over the years.

Apothos
x3tc

Post by Apothos » Sun, 28. Aug 22, 15:49

Sad news, Paul. I checked back intermittently on your other thread, was hopeful for your therapy.

I sincerely hope it's a long and comfortable jump activation sequence.

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Tue, 30. Aug 22, 12:04

Might I just add that the manner in which you have talked to us about your issues, and the grace with which you are facing them is absolutely inspiring.

You are an amazing man. And you will certainly be truly missed.

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

Steel
x4

Post by Steel » Tue, 30. Aug 22, 17:54

Such a sad message to read. You were there at the start of the forums helping me and I will always be grateful for that. Thank you.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 30. Aug 22, 23:24

My apologies that it's taken so long for me to respond.

It goes without saying that I want to add my thanks to those of the rest of the team for all the work you have put in over the years, helping to maintain this forum's reputation as an oasis of civility in the wastelands of the internet!

Your recent posts, sharing the details of your situation with us over the last year and a bit, have made for some tough reading - this thread most of all, of course - but your resilience has been remarkable.

This doesn't happen often, but words fail me at this point; all I can say is that you will be greatly missed.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Wed, 31. Aug 22, 18:28

I'm really sorry, PJK - I had trouble sticking with the other thread, but I was really hoping for the best. Was good to swab the decks with you.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Mon, 5. Sep 22, 03:43

Wow.

I've been absent more often than not for a while now, and rarely post, but you've been a fixture of this forum since before I found it. You were a fine administrator here, and really, the highest compliment I can give - you're a decent human being. I have no doubt that the world will be a little less bright without you.

I wish you the comfort and support of your family and friends in the time you have left, and I hope you have a peaceful transition. Godspeed my friend, and may your empire be mighty on the far side.

jannix
x4

Post by jannix » Sun, 11. Sep 22, 20:24

I haven't posted here in a long time. This message was incredibly hard to read. I wish you strength, pjknibbs. Hopefully you can pack the days with little things to look forward to, that bring you joy. And surround yourself with friends and family that love you. I think most (including myself) have lost immediate family to cancer. But that doesn't makes it any easier when you see it strike again those that you love. I know British people are famously *not* huggers :mrgreen: , but sending you some virtual hugs anyway from this old stranger.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 30. Sep 22, 00:23

Dude, this forum will not be the same without you. Can I ask how is your family handling things? I know how bad it is to be going through this as I just spent several months doing it every day with my mum, I know it's not an easy thing to go through, unfortunately I can't say it gets any easier as it doesn't. You know it's funny (not haha funny), you know what you want to say but not how to say it. Anyway, I hope your family are handling it and my thoughts are with you and them at this hard time.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 30. Sep 22, 01:47

Family are OK. The one I was most surprised by was my twin brother, who's always been rather hyper-sensitive--he's taken it very well. In fact, he's staying with me right now for a few days to help out where he can, which is nice of him considering he lives 130 miles away from me.

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Sat, 1. Oct 22, 09:19

The universe is infinite good luck to you on the journey beyond :)
Credence follow stars.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 28. Oct 22, 20:25

OK, the chemo thery hoped would at least slow the cancer down has failed, so we're basically onto "no treatment and let it run its course" now. For some reason, this news was more upsetting than the first time around, perhaps because I now truly have to face that I'm dying and nothing will stop it anymore. Can't say I'll miss the chemo side effects, but there was always some dim hope in my heart that a last minute miracle would happen...alas, we're all out of miracles.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 28. Oct 22, 20:53

Will you remain in the hospital, or will you be able to return home? How long do they estimate that you now have?

Some people have found relief during palliative care with the use of Ayahuasca and some of the other psychedelic drugs such as Psilocybin. I don't know if that is something you might consider, or even if it is available where you live. As you may know, there is increasing availability of these substances being used in a therapeutic environment and there are tons of medical articles on the subject.

Anyway, I thought I'd put it out there for your consideration. It could be helpful.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 28. Oct 22, 20:57

Sorry to hear it, Paul, my best wishes to both you and your family. :(
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 28. Oct 22, 22:43

Not hard to see why the news would be harder to take. Sad news.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 28. Oct 22, 23:18

Sorry to hear this, crappy news. :(
Hope you are not alone and have family near...
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Return to “Off Topic English”