GPU Upgrade or wait?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Oldman
x3tc

Re: GPU Upgrade or wait?

Post by Oldman » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 14:30

Hi :)
burger1 wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 20:29
If leaks are true the raptor lake intel cpus might receive a benefit from more expensive ddr5 vs ddr4. Release date/announcement might be Oct 17, 2022. 700 series mainboards might be a bit different? Already talks about ddr6 and even windows 12. Might end up being a mess.

Ye gods! Windows 12?....I obviously can't run Windows 11 at the moment due to my hardware, I mean, how long ago did microsoft release windows 11?..it can't be more than 3 years ago?
Seems like Microsoft have a 'deal' with hardware manufacturers, CPU's and motherboard company's...if you get my drift. :wink:
I'll have to have a look at what's going on with Windows 12, I don't for one minute suspect Windows 12 will mean a change in CPU's or perhaps other hardware. (I'm being sarcastic here :wink: )
What did microsoft say (or hint) some years ago that windows 10 was going to be the last OS, and it would just need updates?....(I might have misunderstood this at the time, but I'm pretty sure that that was talked about).
Anyway, seems like some in depth 'investigation' is what I need to do before I even think of 'upgrading' at the moment imo. :)
Edit..
Well didn't take long to find this out!.... :rant:

July 16, 2022
Microsoft announces the release date of Windows 12. July 16, 2022 by archyde. stated Reports A new journalist reported that the American company, Microsoft, plans to make the Windows operating system updates cycle for 3 years. according to what Mention Microsoft’s new periodic plan to release future Windows updates indicates that it is likely that the new version of Windows 12 will arrive by 2024, when it will have been 3 years since the launch of Windows 11.

Thought so. :roll:

Oldman :)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 14:51

Oldman wrote:
Sat, 30. Jul 22, 14:30
Ye gods! Windows 12?....I obviously can't run Windows 11 at the moment due to my hardware, I mean, how long ago did microsoft release windows 11?..it can't be more than 3 years ago?
It was only about a year ago--June 2021.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 17:34

Windows 11 has been a colossal failure, the last I heard there were more computers still using Win XP than there were with Win 11 installed, and that was only a few months back. It is one of the lowest used operating systems, I think there are more Linux users than win 11 users. So I'm not surprised that they are going to do a win 12, and maybe they will get it right this time.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 18:20

Oldman wrote:
Sat, 30. Jul 22, 14:30
Seems like Microsoft have a 'deal' with hardware manufacturers, CPU's and motherboard company's...if you get my drift. :wink:
Red Hat did release RHEL 9 last May*. The RHEL 9 requires that CPU supports "x86_64-v2 microarchitecture". The specs of "x86_64-v2" RH did decide with hardware manufacturers. CPU's with those features did first appear in about 2008. (They did consider to include AVX in the list, which AMD adopted around 2015.) What and why are quite open on that side.

RHEL supposedly does have three year release cadence too (RHEL 8 in 2019, RHEL 9 in 2022, RHEL 10 in ?), and each version is supported ten years. Is Microsoft really different?

* RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 20:31

Hi matey! :)
pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 30. Jul 22, 14:51
It was only about a year ago--June 2021.
Oh dear, I'm sure I'm getting senile, time flies with some things, on the other hand sometimes I feel like I'm walking in treacle. :roll:
Right!...so it wasn't that long ago. :gruebel: I dunno, I'm really getting a low opinion of Microsoft, and to be quite honest I'm also getting a bit fed up with the 'modern technology'.
It's all about money basically, isn't it. :(
More important, I hope you're at least feeling reasonably ok, I do scan the forums here occasionally so I do kinda know what's going on. :wink: ....I do think about you sometimes. :wink:
felter wrote:
Sat, 30. Jul 22, 17:34
Windows 11 has been a colossal failure, the last I heard there were more computers still using Win XP than there were with Win 11 installed, and that was only a few months back. It is one of the lowest used operating systems, I think there are more Linux users than win 11 users. So I'm not surprised that they are going to do a win 12, and maybe they will get it right this time.
Now that really surprises me!
burger1 wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 20:29
If leaks are true the raptor lake intel cpus might receive a benefit from more expensive ddr5 vs ddr4. Release date/announcement might be Oct 17, 2022. 700 series mainboards might be a bit different? Already talks about ddr6 and even windows 12. Might end up being a mess.
Yep, it's a right old mess, at one time everything computer related I'd got a fair idea of what was 'current' for want of a better word, now?....I'm starting to get utterly confused.
Oh well. :)

Oldman :)

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 31. Jul 22, 10:08

felter wrote:
Sat, 30. Jul 22, 17:34
This is not true. pcworld.com: No, Windows XP is not more popular than Windows 11
These stories are based on the latest report from a company called Lansweeper. The data was collected to promote the company’s Windows 11 migration services. According to the report from April 4th, approximately 80 percent of all Windows machines are running Windows 10, with 2 percent on Windows 8, 5 percent on Windows 7, and a little over 9 percent running various flavors of Windows Server. Now for the juicy comparison: while 1.71 percent of machines surveyed with Lansweeper’s methodology were running some version of Windows XP, just 1.44 percent had upgraded to Windows 11. Six months after a major operating system release, it’s a pretty damning metric.

But is it a fair one? As illustrated by the huge chunk of Lansweeper’s results reporting Windows Server, it’s heavily skewed towards IT and other industrial machines. Machines that don’t typically represent a single “user,” either in a home or corporate sense. Penny-pinching corporations are infamous for being hesitant to upgrade almost anything if it’s still working, even if their IT departments (and Microsoft) are begging them to do so. I’d wager a few bucks that the stand-alone job processing workstation I used at my first printshop job is still running Windows XP. But that doesn’t really represent someone browsing PCWorld on a daily basis.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Return to “Off Topic English”