Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 9. May 23, 18:12

felter wrote:
Tue, 9. May 23, 17:59
Well today's parade sure was a massive show of force for the Russia military, as a single 83-year-old tank was the only tank that was able to make it, I wonder where those thousands of other more modern tanks are.
The good news is that this mean Russia sent literally everything to the frontline...
...the bad news is that this mean Russia sent literally everything to the frontline.

Personally, I'd prefere if this would be the biggest/dumbest parade in Russia history with absurd amount of tanks, IFVs, planes and heli.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 9. May 23, 18:41

Weird change from Russia's "appear strong" intimidation tactic to a sudden weak appareance. Including current meddling with Wagner.

Very atypical for Russia.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 9. May 23, 22:06

Tamina wrote:
Tue, 9. May 23, 18:41
Weird change from Russia's "appear strong" intimidation tactic to a sudden weak appareance. Including current meddling with Wagner.

Very atypical for Russia.
Russia didn't plan to not win in 1 week.

But also, Russia sees strength in something else. If war can't be won, then strength is in resisting the evil West.

And that's what really counts. Forever victim, forever strongest, forever enduring.

Also, Russia doesn't really have a solid ideology to sink your teeth in. Have president for life and everyone is enemy is not something you can make a roadmap for, or come up with an example of "strength"
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 10. May 23, 10:52

Fair enough.

But Russias public relations were always based on fear and the propaganda of being an invincible super power. And many nations fell for it, including military strategist as could be seen at the beginning of the war. Unfortunately for the Russians their own gov fell for it as well.

I am just pointing out that one soviet tank on a parade and a bunch of children in a military uniform is an extreme change in decades of public appearance to the inside as well as to the outside. Hinting to something bigger maybe? At least something that is seen more important to Russias power structure.

Maybe it is as simple as you guys are pointing it out.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 10. May 23, 18:30

While we are constantly bombarded with drone videos bombing sh*t out, this one hit differently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecatX-IXC84

A hit more human side of drone warfare.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 10. May 23, 19:50

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 10. May 23, 18:30
While we are constantly bombarded with drone videos bombing sh*t out, this one hit differently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecatX-IXC84

A hit more human side of drone warfare.
Epic :)

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Wed, 10. May 23, 22:21

Speaking of that lonely tank at the parade, how long do you think before it gets sent to the battlefront? And btw, what kind of tank was it? It looks very old.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 10. May 23, 23:43

It was a T34 from WW2.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 11. May 23, 12:52

Seems some fragments of the russian army are fleeing @Bakhmut.

@source theguardian.com https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... icial-says

Ukraine military still gathering forces for their counter-offensive, mainly some of the ordered / promised armoured vehicles have yet to arrive according to Zelenskiy.

@source the guardian.com https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... in-bakhmut

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 11. May 23, 13:54

Tamina wrote:
Wed, 10. May 23, 10:52
Maybe it is as simple as you guys are pointing it out.
oh, if you mean outward projection of strength, that is definitely not selling

maybe only overseas to elderly Russian immigrant population

right now regime is busy with internal propaganda
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 11. May 23, 15:03

The UK has confirmed the supply of Storm Shadow cruise missiles with a 250 km range to Ukraine

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65558070

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 11. May 23, 16:42

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 11. May 23, 15:03
The UK has confirmed the supply of Storm Shadow cruise missiles with a 250 km range to Ukraine

This might be something very useful for counteroffensive.

While a few missiles shouldn't have any strategic value, a few missiles at right command post and supply base might be something that create an opening or put a crack in Russian defense at right place and moment.
If anything, this will be like intial HIMARS effect, as Russian will have to move their big command/supply further away from frontline.

This is relatively small thing on it's own, but might be one of those little things that tip the scale in Ukraine favor.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 11. May 23, 17:15

That Zelensky interview is a non news story, of course he is going to say we are not ready to attack it's not like he is going to say yeah we are going to start our offensive manoeuvres tomorrow night at midnight the same with the, "we are waiting for some more deliveries" because the Russians are watching what and how much is being delivered, so saying were waiting for more keeps the Russian guessing and worrying about just what the Ukrainians actually have and when they think the attack will begin. There is also video of yesterday's Russian route which clearly shows the Ukrainians using the Bradley Fighting Vehicle, so they are already using them for offensive matters.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 11. May 23, 17:27

@felter

Psssst :eg:

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 11. May 23, 17:39

felter wrote:
Thu, 11. May 23, 17:15
There is also video of yesterday's Russian route which clearly shows the Ukrainians using the Bradley Fighting Vehicle, so they are already using them for offensive matters.
Do you have link to that video? Would love to see Bradleys in operation.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 11. May 23, 19:41

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 11. May 23, 17:39
felter wrote:
Thu, 11. May 23, 17:15
There is also video of yesterday's Russian route which clearly shows the Ukrainians using the Bradley Fighting Vehicle, so they are already using them for offensive matters.
Do you have link to that video? Would love to see Bradleys in operation.
When I posted I knew someone would go, where's the link, when I posted I couldn't find it, and you made me go and look for it, turns out it was on the tablet not the desktop. I'm sure you have probably seen the video but here you go I even linked to the point where her mentions it's a Bradley in action. I'm no expert on what a Bradley looks like, but it does look like the one he shows.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 11. May 23, 20:08

felter wrote:
Thu, 11. May 23, 19:41
When I posted I knew someone would go, where's the link, when I posted I couldn't find it, and you made me go and look for it, turns out it was on the tablet not the desktop. I'm sure you have probably seen the video but here you go I even linked to the point where her mentions it's a Bradley in action. I'm no expert on what a Bradley looks like, but it does look like the one he shows.
My first guess, as the video is low res and I can't see the turret well, would be the Marder 1.
However, picture comparison on 1:34 does suggest it might be Bradley, as Marder 1 back ramp doesn't have negative space.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 11. May 23, 20:22

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 11. May 23, 15:03

Love that news, just hope they've got everything they require to be able to use them effectively; as in I believe they'll need GPS data of the targets to hit.? If someone is supplying that, then as long as they can launch from their planes - excellent :)

it's not a game changer, but as usual, it may have a small but very significant impact. More importantly, encourage others to do likewise (French use exact same platform for example), or if nothing else, demonstrate what Russian opposition to this is (as with tanks) and embolden for more.

I don't want Russian citizens to die (their conscripts), but they started this and it's up to them to oppose their leaders actions. Ukraine has every right to defend their territory to their maximum ability, and it's up to allies to ensure that ability is indeed maximised.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 11. May 23, 21:21

Those storm shadow missiles, the UK are not going to send them, they are already in Ukraine, and they are beasts. They are massive, have double explosive warhead, low flying to avoid radar and a range of 300KM. They are fired from aircraft but as Ukraine are using Russian aircraft they were not able to equip them, but the UK has already in a matter of weeks upgraded their aircraft, so they can be used, but they also had to rewrite the software, so the planes could talk to the missiles and telling them what to do normally upgrading all of these things takes months the UK techs did it in a matter of weeks. The UK currently has 902 or had as some are now in Ukraine, and they are currently being upgraded to a more modern version, so they were just going to be destroyed, now they are being used instead. One other thing, each missile cost the UK £2 million, so they are not cheap.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Thu, 11. May 23, 22:35

Lets hope they wont get as effectiveness as Himars.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

UKR really needs some good counter-offensive news.

Return to “Off Topic English”