Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

clakclak
x3

Re: Russia-Ukraine War?

Post by clakclak » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 19:06

EGO_Aut wrote:
Fri, 17. Dec 21, 20:46
[...]The assurance to forego a NATO presence on the Russian border, which had been given as compensation for the German unification and western reorientation of the former Warsaw Pact states, was nonchalantly "forgotten" on both sides of the Atlantic.
I have heard this a lot, but so far nobody was able to point out who gave this assurance or when it was given. Care to enlighten me?
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Mon, 20. Dec 21, 11:43

clakclak wrote:
Sat, 18. Dec 21, 19:06
EGO_Aut wrote:
Fri, 17. Dec 21, 20:46
[...]The assurance to forego a NATO presence on the Russian border, which had been given as compensation for the German unification and western reorientation of the former Warsaw Pact states, was nonchalantly "forgotten" on both sides of the Atlantic.
I have heard this a lot, but so far nobody was able to point out who gave this assurance or when it was given. Care to enlighten me?
I am old enough to remember me. It was all days in the news, and was a request from RU. Maybe there is nothing in writing, but verbal commitments are also mandatory.
Simply check the news of these days.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 20. Dec 21, 15:57

Was there an agreement in place to carry over agreements made with the Soviet Union after it fell? If not, why would anyone expect agreements to be held with a nation that no longer exists? Not to mention, the Warsaw Pact only applied to East Germany, not the rest of the world. Unless there's anything to the contrary, that has no bearing on Ukraine.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Mon, 20. Dec 21, 19:49

After the unification of germany (BRD/DDR) it was decided that NATO would not expand to the east and that no new states would be admitted. Easy to understand right?
Reuters tells us another story, why are they lying.

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Mon, 20. Dec 21, 20:02

Regarding the alleged/supposed promise of not expanding NATO further eastward - I do recall there being some form of informal talks to this extent from my history lessons (Germany), but the English wikipedia page on the treaty of German reunification cites several different, and conflicting, positions. I unfortunately do not have it in me to investigate further at this time, but perhaps that might be a decent starting point?
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 20. Dec 21, 20:49

If what EGO_Aut says is accurate, then why was Poland, Hungary, and Czechia admitted in 99? They were members of the Warsaw Pact that had an agreement with the Soviet Union (that, again, no longer exists).

It seems like only Russia wanted the Warsaw Pact to remain but none of the European countries had an interest. It was declared ended in 91 when the USSR collapsed by the Warsaw Pact members, who then later joined NATO and there have been a bunch of other countries admitted into NATO since.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Mon, 20. Dec 21, 22:20

Apparently the west wants to put RU under pressure again with a cold war. It's sad that somebody always has to be bad and that the media is brainwashed with belief.
Does anyone really believe that RU wants to conquer Ukraine? RU wants / will create a buffer zone or DMZ, nothing more. At the beginning of the crisis, Ukraine spat on the Donbas and strangled the people financially, then they were surprised that the RU reacted and grabbed the Crimea (important port) and supported Donbas (RU minority).

@Vertigo7
Warsaw pact was too expensive for RU. Michail Gorbatschow tried to bring peace with Glasnost/Perestroika, he was blinded and got fooled. He thought its enough to have a nuclear arsenal and some troops, nato on the other hand was a agressive/expansionist and the only remaining power block.

Poland, Hungary, and Czechia had been corrupted by nato, RU always mentioned that a east expansion of Nato will not be acepted. If i remember correct Estland , Letland, Litauen did the same before-i am not sure atm , maybe they left warsaw pact first and joined Nato later.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 21. Dec 21, 07:47

Ohhhhhh, now everything makes sense.

I'm sure the country that never dopes its Olympic athletes, or never tires to assassinate popular rivals to its glorious leader is only interested in harmony and peace and absolutely needs space in someone else's country to create a buffer cuz there's just not enough room in that tiny itty bitty country they're currently occupying.

You'll forgive me if after everything that's happened from Russia, especially over the last 6 years and change, that I remain highly skeptical of Russian propaganda.
rebellionpac.com

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Tue, 21. Dec 21, 22:42

So, you're saying NATO members never has doped athletes? NATO partners don't assassinate unpopular people? NATO partners don't create "buffer" zones to protect its borders?
Excuse me, but all that is true in for our Western side, too. Our media are just too busy to tell all the dirty details Russia does, but neglects the atrocities being done in the name of freedom and democracy.
Just because Russia may be the bad guy in this story doesn't mean that the NATO is the good guys.
We tried to bring freedom and democracy to Iraq and Afghanistan and ditched our partners there. We're just as bad as them.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 02:32

I'm not aware of NATO members assassinating their own political rivals or the member states running state sponsored doping programs for their athletes. I'm not saying that, for example, the CIA hasn't assassinated enemies of the US or people like Lance Armstrong getting caught using steroids, or whatever it was, doesn't and hasn't happened. It's absolutely true those things have happened. However, that's a far cry from Putin's multiple assassinations/arrests/etc of anyone who challenges his presidency and so forth.

At the end of the day, however, it comes down to this. NATO is invited to Ukraine, Russia isn't. Ukraine asked years ago for help with defense against Russia. The US, and others, have provided arms and tech advisors. Russia is now demanding a full withdrawal of NATO, which likely won't happen.

Claiming they need a buffer zone is ludicrous on its face. Russia hasn't been attacked. They've got miles upon miles of their own country they can build a buffer in if they really wanted one, but no.. it HAS to be in Ukraine. Russia, on the other hand, has openly attacked Ukraine and has been doing so for years. Now they've moved thousands of troops to the boarder and are hurling demands at NATO? Come on... who really can't see this for what it is?
rebellionpac.com

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 21:26

EGO_Aut wrote:
Mon, 20. Dec 21, 22:20
Poland, Hungary, and Czechia had been corrupted by nato, RU always mentioned that a east expansion of Nato will not be acepted. If i remember correct Estland , Letland, Litauen did the same before-i am not sure atm , maybe they left warsaw pact first and joined Nato later.
That is very convient propaganda, claiming that democratic processes in post-communist east europe were corruption by Nato. Why should former soviet states in Baltic be interested in defense relationships with nation that occupied them after ww2? Or nations in east europe who were under soviet boot for 45 years seek an alliance that will keep the Moscow away?

Also Hungarian Orban and his fidesz party are extremly friendly towards Putin and many in west europe consider him Putin's man.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Thu, 23. Dec 21, 15:56

Why is there a need for a NATO at all if there is no longer a Warsaw Pact?
Shouldn't the UN take on the task of securing peace and abolish veto rights?
Why does the media always have to report about the bad RU, while the good ones are allowed to do anything and the same is dismissed as a preventive necessity? (Which non-NATO country do I mean).
Some time ago, RU tried to place Atomrockets in Kuba-like US does in Europe. You know what happend?
RU or USSR dismounted their security block-peacefully.
Why did the "west" expand Nato and breaks agreements?

It is always good to hear both sides.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Thu, 23. Dec 21, 18:06

EGO_Aut wrote:
Thu, 23. Dec 21, 15:56
Why is there a need for a NATO at all if there is no longer a Warsaw Pact?
Because Russia is as much threat to its neighbors as soviet was. It only respects strength and not agreements. Budapest agreement from 1994, stipulated clearly that Russia committed itself to "respect the independence and sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine". Now it occupies Ukrainian lands.
It has also financed extremist movements in neighboring countries and tried to influence elections. It has tried to foment coups and instability in most of Balkan countries and done targeted cyber attacks against ALL of European (+USA) countries.It has developed new nuclear devices (Status-6) and nuclear delivery systems (hypersonic missiles) which are all attempts to negate the nuclear balance and parity which Soviet and USA had during the cold war years.

During the Covid pandemic, it supported false information campaigns, aimed to increase the chaos and negative economic impact of pandemic (higher death toll).

NATO does not need to justify its existence in my eyes.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 23. Dec 21, 23:30

The issue is whether or not Russia will attack Ukraine, not whose propaganda machine is most effective, or whether any other countries can claim a higher standard of behavior than Russia. If Russia feels threatened, they will act as any other country in the same boat. Is Putin bluffing? Should the West give in to his demands? How unreasonable is Russia being and how much would Ukraine lose to keep Russia happy? I am rather uninformed on this topic, so please excuse my ignorance. Thank you.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 24. Dec 21, 04:50

Russia has been attacking Ukraine for years, albeit short of a full assault. The question is if Ukraine is valuable enough to Putin to ignite a 3rd world war.
rebellionpac.com

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 00:17

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 24. Dec 21, 04:50
Russia has been attacking Ukraine for years, albeit short of a full assault. The question is if Ukraine is valuable enough to Putin to ignite a 3rd world war.
For all the rhetoric at play here, do you really believe that Russia invading Ukraine, which is not part of any major military alliance, would ignite an actual World War? I fail to see the connections that would cause such a wide-scale conflict. A second Cold War I will not doubt for one second... but a hot conflict? Russia has nukes, I very much doubt the other nuclear powers would want a direct war..?
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 00:50

And that is exactly what Putin is betting on, that the rest of the world just leaves Ukraine's fate up to Russia. NATO hasn't pulled out of Ukraine, yet, or signaled a willingness to do so. What do you think will happen if Putin decides to test NATO's resolve and attack?
rebellionpac.com

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 12:01

It was provoked by NATO / US, so in my opinion it is logical that RU acts as the protective power of the Donbas areas.
At least RU passports will be delivered, then there will be elections and it will be decided whether there will be a stay, connection or independence. The result is then implemented using RU.
I don't know why you are so upset about it. :rant:
But i am 100% sure that UKR will not be conquered completely, max. RU minority areas like Donbas.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 12:46

Same arguments for occupation of Sudetenland in Czechoslovakia in other words. I just wait for some EU political imbecile to come and claim that we will have "peace in our times" too and we got 100% repetition of same farce we had in 1938.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 13:13

Warenwolf wrote:
Sat, 25. Dec 21, 12:46
Same arguments for occupation of Sudetenland in Czechoslovakia in other words. I just wait for some EU political imbecile to come and claim that we will have "peace in our times" too and we got 100% repetition of same farce we had in 1938.
No CZ had no civil war on their teritory like UKR now. And they did not stopped energy and pension money Transfer to the people befor the conflict started.

Here how it all started and involved parties.

Return to “Off Topic English”