Strange Mobile data issue Android 11 - Resolved (APN)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Strange Mobile data issue Android 11 - Resolved (APN)

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 18:14

I've a need to use a banking app on my phone away from my home WiFi, but the strange issue I have is under mobile network settings there is no 'enable mobile data' button as there should be. The top option is 'date roaming.' - I have the twin arrow 'data connection' on, and can 4G connect to my provider, but I don't have the toggle switch to turn on mobile data, and I've no idea how to 'make the option appear.'

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Strange Mobile data issue Android 11

Post by CBJ » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 18:20

Drag down from the top of the screen on your home screen. There should be a Mobile Data (up/down arrow) icon on there. You don't need Data Roaming; that's for when you're abroad.

Edit: Re-read your description and you seem to already have that. There shouldn't be anything else you need to do.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 18:37

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 18:20
Drag down from the top of the screen on your home screen. There should be a Mobile Data (up/down arrow) icon on there. You don't need Data Roaming; that's for when you're abroad.

Edit: Re-read your description and you seem to already have that. There shouldn't be anything else you need to do.
Yeah, it's the missing 'enable mobile data' button above 'data roaming' toggle in mobile network settings that is barring me from using data. - I can connect to my mobile network without issue, and have set the data bank warning thingy plenty high, but the absence of the toggle is baffling me. - It's happened with two phones and two different sim cards!

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 18:39

There's no such option under mobile network settings, as far as I'm aware. Enabling mobile data is done on the home screen, as I described.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 18:53

Yes, I think you're right. - I've just found the button under 'data usage' for mobile data, and that is switched on too. I have the 4G icon at the top of my display, but it simply will not use mobile data, even with wifi switched off.

Very, very frustrating.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 19:21

Does anything here help? It appears it can be restricted in its use per individual app.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 19:26

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 19:21
Does anything here help? It appears it can be restricted in use per individual app.
Alas not, but thank you.

What I could be having an issue with is 'APN' settings, and navigating to that screen (under mobile data) shows there are none, and the option 'is not available for this user.'

This is a very, very long way above my paygrade...

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 21:07

Mmh - as you seem to have access to two phones: do you have the possibility to create a hotspot with phone1 and use this on phone2 to do your banking stuff?

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 08:34

My head exploded. It was a disappointingly small trickle of brain from my ears, but that's all that was left in there.

Gavrushka, know your limits. :doh:

Tempest
x4

Post by Tempest » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 13:25

mine (android 11+12)

are under settings > connections > Mobile networks > data usage > mobile data (slider)

not sure if that helps.

android menu navigation seems a bit of a mess.

EDIT:
*Oops* that was literally Alan's posted link, same function as the drag down menu.

meh
AMD 5800X|Gskill 4x8GB 3800C14 (MCLK:1800 for Coupled mode)|Gigabyte X570 Elite F37|TUF3080|Samsung NVME 980 Pro 250|ASUS PG279QE 2560x1440@144

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 15:18

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 18:39
There's no such option under mobile network settings, as far as I'm aware. Enabling mobile data is done on the home screen, as I described.
Huh? Recently I switched to phone with newer android and this conversation made me check this - mobile data on/off switch is not there anymore.
The eco/power saving mode on/off switch is gone too from that menu.

Now you have to search deeper into setting to find these two.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 15:21

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 18:20

Oh wait, I forgot that newer android has this menu as 2-stage:
- first stage is short list
- second stage is full list

You have drag it down one for first stage and then drag it down second time for 2nd stage

Why the hell Android try to reinvent the wheel and make things more complicate? :D

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 23:10

It was the lack of APN that stopped me from 'using' data even though I was able to connect to mobile wifi. - I found the settings on Curry's website of all places. Now working fine. :)

Mobile data button was found by clicking on the service provider icon under settings.

Return to “Off Topic English”