Hardware Question

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Hardware Question

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 10:28

Hoping someone strong with a hardware background can help.

So I had to lubricate the heat sink fan on my graphics card. Seems to have done a great job in alleviate one problem. The tube of thermal paste decided not to cooperate and made a mess instead. Will this mess cause any latency issues with any gaming? I cleaned it up as best as I could while trying to minimize contact with the GPU. Obviously the card works fine as I am on it right now. The fan had been loud for a while, whining a lot. Now it's almost completely silent. Tested it on Skyrim Anniversary Edition. Display seems to have a slight stutter, but not un-manageable. But it's not completely smooth either. When the card was cold it would be smooth prior to the fix.

The graphics card is a Nividia GTX 745 (OEM). It's an older card with 4GB of RAM built into it. Its about the size of an average wallet (unfolded). So the fan and sink about that of a credit card. "Very small". Removal and lubricating was easy. Once the screws were removed, it came right off. Cleaning the old paste was simple and easy. Used plastic tool to scrape the goo off, industrial (wd40) to lubricate and remove the grime from the fan itself. Small drip into the hole you put the fan back into. Aside from the magnets, the thing spun fine afterwards. It had a decent resistance prior. So it was dry. Everything went smooth until I put the paste on. Basically it decided to come out in a stream all over. I cleaned up as best as I can with a paper towel. Then re-applied a small amount. (About a pea size amount - middle of the gpu). Any thoughts?

Architecture of the card has the GPU surrounded by RAM on the board. Directly under a metal heat plate. Which is connected to the plastic fan housing.

My thought process is that either, the paste is causing a problem with any trace lines on the card, or heat damage is already slightly present and done.

Any thoughts?
Peace is a state of mind!
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: Hardware Question

Post by euclid » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 14:43

I'm using the thermal paste remover to clean the cpu before applying the new paste. However, I'm not sure what it does to those other parts you've spilled it on.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 14:54

euclid wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 14:43
I'm using the thermal paste remover to clean the cpu before applying the new paste. However, I'm not sure what it does to those other parts you've spilled it on.

Cheers Euclid
I know it's to transfer heat to the sink. But I am hoping it doesn't have any actual conductive properties, or transfer heat on accident to the graphics card's board. I know heat is bad. And if you let the card cool, the paste becomes brittle and is easily removed. My tool kit has a pair of plastic scraper's, once I did that I used a paper towel to get the rest off. Worked pretty nice.

The biggest shock I got was how easily the sink came off the chip. I was expecting it to be stuck slightly, but nope.
Peace is a state of mind!
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

Tempest
x4

Post by Tempest » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 15:05

i don't think wd40 is the absolute best choice for lubrication here, also, the bearing might just be "shot", maybe the wd40 will help for a while, but i would expect the issue to return.

i'd stick with a power-towel / Q-tip + isopropyl alcohol combo for cleaning, thermal compound should be electrically insulated though.

for testing you could use Furmark to get any idea for heat/stability/artifacts (short runs if needed) https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

if you are unable to part with it, i'd personally try and find a replacement fan (partnumbers should get you decent results, maybe overseas though)
AMD 5800X|Gskill 4x8GB 3800C14 (MCLK:1800 for Coupled mode)|Gigabyte X570 Elite F37|TUF3080|Samsung NVME 980 Pro 250|ASUS PG279QE 2560x1440@144

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 19:57

i think wd40 varies between certain regions. tech yes city on youtube uses it often but i cant remember exactly what he said.

99% isopropyl alcohol is the normal thing used to remove thermal paste.

let the card dry off for a day or so before using it. only repaste cards when they need it because sometimes they just stop working. same with cpus.

Return to “Off Topic English”