Major Internet Outage or is it just me?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Major Internet Outage or is it just me?

Post by euclid » Sun, 21. Nov 21, 19:56

I cannot get several of the usual sites like reuters, microsoft, outlook to name just a few. I wonder if anyone encounters the same problem?

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Major Internet Outage or is it just me?

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 21. Nov 21, 20:10

They seem to be working for me. Have you recently changed any security settings, or perhaps your security software (or browser and/or its settings)?

If anything is getting blocked (as opposed to not being accessible) then there should be a quarantine or blocking report somewhere on your system that says why.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 21. Nov 21, 20:15

Thanks Alan :-) Only change was to switch from wireless to ethernet router connection. Will check the firewall settings (should be the same for either connection though).

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 21. Nov 21, 21:12

Check the DNS settings as well--those might be different between the two. For example, I used to have an issue whereby I could use Teamviewer if the machine was attached via a wire, but it would fail via Wi-Fi, because the DNS settings were different and the DNS server used on the Wi-Fi side would return incorrect IP for Teamviewer's servers as a deliberate seccurity measure to protect idiots being told to install the thing by scammers.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 21. Nov 21, 23:35

Thanks for the feedback, Paul. DNS (as IP) are set to be obtained automatically. Also I could (the issue resolved itself) access various websites( like this forum, gmail, hangout chat to mention a few) which I doubt would have been possible if it had been a DNS problem.

Cheers Euclid

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 21. Nov 21, 23:46

No, that's exactly what a DNS problem often looks like; sites that are in your DNS cache work fine but others don't. It's easy enough to confirm whether that's the situation you're in by flushing your DNS cache ("ipconfig /flushdns" at the command prompt). If the sites you could access before are no longer accessible once you've done that, then you can be pretty sure it's a DNS issue.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 00:23

A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Mon, 22. Nov 21, 13:59

CBJ wrote:
Sun, 21. Nov 21, 23:46
No, that's exactly what a DNS problem often looks like; sites that are in your DNS cache work fine but others don't. It's easy enough to confirm whether that's the situation you're in by flushing your DNS cache ("ipconfig /flushdns" at the command prompt). If the sites you could access before are no longer accessible once you've done that, then you can be pretty sure it's a DNS issue.
Oh, I wasn't aware, thanks for the clarification. Still puzzling that I did not do anything (other then waiting) and the issue resolved itself.

Cheers Euclid

Return to “Off Topic English”