W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Re: W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 13:51

Terre wrote:
Wed, 17. Nov 21, 12:01
I'm waiting until at least March, the move will be based on curiosity rather than need.
The only one of the five PCs I use on a regular basis that *can* be upgraded to 11 is my main gaming PC, so I'm holding off for a while because (a) it's a Ryzen and there are still some issues with those and (b) you never get in on the ground floor of *any* new OS...better to wait for them to iro out the problems.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 15:14

When people are talking about choosing when to upgrade, does that mean they already have access to Win11, but are delaying installing?

I have a 'Features Update' available, but it's for me to choose to install, although for once it doesn't come under 'optional updates' as, umm, optional updates usually do. - It is titled Win10 version 21H2; is this some kind of precursor to Win11? I normally don't do other than wait for Windows to tell me 'reboot for update' and don't really have the technical ability to make an informed decision on this Features Update. Advice would be welcome.

I always feel a little uncomfortable posting on this kind of thread, as all I usually have to bring is my own naivety liberally sprinkled with stupidity. :(
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 15:20

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 17. Nov 21, 13:51
The only one of the five PCs I use on a regular basis that *can* be upgraded to 11 is my main gaming PC, so I'm holding off for a while because (a) it's a Ryzen and there are still some issues with those and (b) you never get in on the ground floor of *any* new OS...better to wait for them to iro out the problems.
I've got 2. 1 i enrolled in the beta branch, and the other I enrolled in the dev branch.

Most of the back end changes were relatively minor from 10, like moving more of the legacy control panel functions into settings, new dx 12 features, and so forth. I felt pretty confident that any issues to moving were going to be minor, and that ended up being the case. Both branches have been stable and hasn't been any compatibility issues that I've run into with any software or hardware (but i don't use AMD anything =p)

Aside from the usual learning what's different in the UI any time the OS changes like that, it's been pretty rock solid. In fact, the OS feels even more responsive than 10 did. I was even shocked to see BIOS updates come down for my laptop through Windows Updates. No idea if that would have been offered in 10 or not but first time I've ever seen that happen. But it updated without a hitch.

The gaming experience has been great. I do like the auto HDR option that can be applied to non-HDR content, it does make a difference even if it's not "real" HDR.

I admit that I do prefer the tiled start menu to the one in 11 but it's not like I spend a lot of time looking at the start menu anyway so meh. But thats cosmetic and doesn't impact day to day usability. I still run all the things I could before upgrading and everything works as expected out of the box.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 15:25

Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 17. Nov 21, 15:14
When people are talking about choosing when to upgrade, does that mean they already have access to Win11, but are delaying installing?

I have a 'Features Update' available, but it's for me to choose to install, although for once it doesn't come under 'optional updates' as, umm, optional updates usually do. - It is titled Win10 version 21H2; is this some kind of precursor to Win11? I normally don't do other than wait for Windows to tell me 'reboot for update' and don't really have the technical ability to make an informed decision on this Features Update. Advice would be welcome.

I always feel a little uncomfortable posting on this kind of thread, as all I usually have to bring is my own naivety liberally sprinkled with stupidity. :(
Feature updates are not the same as optional updates. 21H2 roll up includes some new 'features' for 10. no harm in updating to it. You can look at MS's web site for all the new stuff added in that but they've been adding feature updates to 10 for a while like that, semi annually. (2021 2nd half of the year)
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 17:17

Gavrushka wrote:
You need to run the Windows 11 compatibility checker from Microsoft's website, it sounds like there's something on the machine which prevents it being upgraded.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 17:30

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 17. Nov 21, 17:17
Gavrushka wrote:
You need to run the Windows 11 compatibility checker from Microsoft's website, it sounds like there's something on the machine which prevents it being upgraded.
I did run that some time ago, and started a thread about TPM issues, not realising it was something that simply needed enabling in the BIOS, which I've now done. - On my Windows Update screen, I have the constant joyous reminder from Microsoft that I am indeed Win 11 ready, with the further caveat that 'specific timing for when it will be offered can vary as we get it ready for you' so I guess I'm just waiting on Microsoft now.

So I think I just answered my own question. :doh:

And, Vertigo 7, thanks for that explanation.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 18:44

Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 17. Nov 21, 17:30
On my Windows Update screen, I have the constant joyous reminder from Microsoft that I am indeed Win 11 ready, with the further caveat that 'specific timing for when it will be offered can vary as we get it ready for you' so I guess I'm just waiting on Microsoft now.
It can take some time - on one of my laptops it became ready for download after 3 weeks since W11 release and on other it took 5 weeks.
The older laptop took longer to be ready for download, so I think they are gradually going from latest to oldest - given that you didn't had the TMP enabled by default indicates it's an older one.

When your machine will be set to be ready you should have an update icon in bottom-right, lust like normal update icon, but with blue dot, instead of orange.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 20:11

Life is much easier when you are not "appearing on our list of approved CPUs." :xenon:

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 22:27

Compatibility issues with Intel Smart Sound Technology drivers and Windows 11, as I read it, MS will not offer Windows 11 to affected machines.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... 746msgdesc
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 22:35

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 17. Nov 21, 13:51
Terre wrote:
Wed, 17. Nov 21, 12:01
I'm waiting until at least March, the move will be based on curiosity rather than need.
Part of me is saying, I'm glad I didn't say March in which year. My Win10 machine is good, as is one of my Linux machines, but they are not changing over.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 17. Nov 21, 22:53

Terre wrote:
Wed, 17. Nov 21, 22:27
Compatibility issues with Intel Smart Sound Technology drivers and Windows 11, as I read it, MS will not offer Windows 11 to affected machines.

Really? that's what you read? Cuz I read it as it's on hold till the issue with the 2 listed driver versions is resolved and for users to contact their OEMs to get an updated driver.
Intel and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues with certain versions of drivers for Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) and Windows 11. Windows 11 devices with the affected Intel SST driver might receive an error with a blue screen. The affected driver will be named Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST) Audio Controller under System Devices in Device Manager and have the file name IntcAudioBus.sys and a file version of 10.29.0.5152 and earlier or 10.30.0.5152 and earlier.

To safeguard your upgrade experience, we have applied a compatibility hold on devices with affected Intel SST drivers from being offered Windows 11. If your organization is using Update Compliance, the safeguard ID is 36899911.

Workaround: To mitigate the safeguard, you will need to check with your device manufacturer (OEM) to see if an updated driver is available and install it. This issue is resolved by updating the Intel® Smart Sound Technology drivers to a version 10.30.00.5714 and later or 10.29.00.5714 and later. Important: Later versions refer to just the last part of the version number. For addressing this issue, 10.30.x versions are not newer than 10.29.x versions. Once you have updated to a compatible version of the Intel® Smart Sound Technology drivers, you should be able to upgrade to Windows 11. Please note, if there are no other safeguards that affect your device, it can take up to 48 hours before the upgrade to Windows 11 is offered.

Next Steps: If you encounter this safeguard hold and an updated driver is not yet available, you will need to contact your device manufacturer (OEM) for more information.

Note We recommend that you do not attempt to manually upgrade using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool until this issue has been resolved and the safeguard removed.
Why do you keep omitting key facts about these issues you're hunting for?
rebellionpac.com

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Thu, 18. Nov 21, 07:57

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Wed, 17. Nov 21, 22:53
Terre wrote:

Really? that's what you read? Cuz I read it as it's on hold till the issue with the 2 listed driver versions is resolved and for users to contact their OEMs to get an updated driver.
So MS are, at this time, not offering Windows 11 to affected machines. The link is there for people to read.

Semantics, got to love it.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 18. Nov 21, 08:07

Terre wrote:
Thu, 18. Nov 21, 07:57
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Wed, 17. Nov 21, 22:53
Terre wrote:

So MS are, at this time, not offering Windows 11 to affected machines. The link is there for people to read.
Is it as simple as checking your sound drivers in device manager to see if you're affected? I did a search for the miscreant file names too, and it returned zero local results.

It was suggested earlier Microsoft's upgrade path might be starting with the most recent machines, but I've a 10th gen I7, less than a year old, and am still waiting.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 18. Nov 21, 08:42

My wireless problems with WiFi have resolved themselves. Not sure if it was a driver update or the new controller / AP firmware on my unifi kit as they happened around the same time
A flower?

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Tue, 23. Nov 21, 10:02

Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 18. Nov 21, 08:07
It was suggested earlier Microsoft's upgrade path might be starting with the most recent machines, but I've a 10th gen I7, less than a year old, and am still waiting.
It's as simple as waiting for the offer of changing from 10 to 11, just let them come to you. :)

There is their pchealthcheck app, which my machine defences will not allow to run, available, you can give that a go, see what it says.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows ... ealthcheck

Out of curiosity, I had a look at the CVE database for known Windows 11 security vulnerabilities.
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabilit ... ws-11.html

Microsoft Installer might have issues updating or repairing apps
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... 759msgdesc

November 22, 2021—KB5007262 (OS Build 22000.348) Preview
The list of fixes is long.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/top ... c920253aee

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 23. Nov 21, 10:36

Terre wrote:
Tue, 23. Nov 21, 10:02
Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 18. Nov 21, 08:07
It's as simple as waiting for the offer of changing from 10 to 11, just let them come to you. :)

There is their pchealthcheck app, which my machine defences will not allow to run, available, you can give that a go, see what it says.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows ... ealthcheck
After advice from Vertigo7, a while ago, I did enable TPM and ran the healthcheck from Microsoft, and my machine is ready for Win11.

I'm hoping the clever people at Microsoft will ensure any vulnerabilities will be addressed, thus minimising the risk. But I guess it can never be eliminated. - I'm comfortable with that.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 24. Nov 21, 02:46

Boo! Change! New stuff! Boo!

Think that about covers it.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 24. Nov 21, 19:21

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:
Wed, 24. Nov 21, 02:46
Boo! Change! New stuff! Boo!

Think that about covers it.
Has there been a version of OS that has not generated that response?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 24. Nov 21, 19:39

... or their various 'feature updates'? :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tempest
x4

Post by Tempest » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 14:41

with the current component shortage i think it's completelty bonkers to force ~4-5 year old machines into obsolescence. (a decision which will bite MS in the ass at some point, think heavy fines)

plenty of easy workarounds to be found.

TPM is complete nonsense
min. gen 8 CPU is nonsense.

running w11 on a gen.1 i7-860 / 8GB ram (pure out of spite) running completely fine since Oct 5th.

upgrade prompt gives you a final warning for the machine "being out of spec", no warranty etc.. and then procedes with the upgrade as normal.

possibly a quite a different story for gaming, but writing off i7 7700K's ? thats just laugable.

MORE ELECTRONICS FOR THE TRASHHEAP!!!111oneoneone. - Microsoft probably
AMD 5800X|Gskill 4x8GB 3800C14 (MCLK:1800 for Coupled mode)|Gigabyte X570 Elite F37|TUF3080|Samsung NVME 980 Pro 250|ASUS PG279QE 2560x1440@144

Return to “Off Topic English”